what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been about 6 months and I got my blood work results today.

After months of better nutrition, exercising and losing a butt-load of weight (ok a little pun intended) I was thrilled to hear the news.

My bad cholesterol is down, my good cholesterol is up and most importantly my blood sugar is back to the normal range. If my sugar level had edged up just a fraction (from 6 months ago), I would have to start taking meds. Diabetes runs in my family and I was very concerned... I might eventually develop it but for now I'm outrunning it. :)

Great news !

Thanks everyone...:flowers: Changing my habits was not easy, but after about four months I noticed it seemed the norm. I'm not doing anything radical, so I'm sure I can stick with my 'program'.

Diabetes is no fun. :nonono:

Both my mother and my sister have to watch their glucose level now, as they are prediabetic. No, they are not overweight. I guess I will have to start eating less carb and more meat.
I've read so much about diabetes, I was nearly cross-eyed. ....and yes, it's my understanding that slim people develop diabetes as well. That makes me think eating healthier makes more of a difference than losing weight. Of course when one eats healthier, at least a few pounds will come off.

The changes I made were eliminating sugar as much as possible. I get most of my sugar from fruit. I cut way back on 'white food'.... potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. My meals usually consist of olive oil, lots of veggies, nuts, chicken and seafood.

When I really crave a particular food, I'll eat it. But now I have a smaller portion. It's working for me and I hope it continues....time will tell.

bbbamI, that is GREAT news!!!! Congratulations!!!

I have been battling prediabetes for 2 years now. It was brought on by high dose steroids. Has nothing to do with my weight, as I am fairly lean to start with. I had to do strict carb control for a while, but my body seems to be "healing" finally - not nearly as many spikes - even with more carbs - which I am thoroughly enjoying having back in my diet! I am now no longer prediabetic - hopefully it stays that way.

The other things I did that may have helped (in addition to low carb diet) are:

1) started taking 1 tsp psyllium husk prior to most meals to slow the digestion of my food through the gut
2) started taking 100 mg of CoQ10 instead of 50 mg daily
3) when I can, exactly 30 min after each meal I go for a 30 minute walk or ride the recumbent bike for 30 mins to use up the glucose and prevent the spike (this was REMARKABLY effective, just not always so easy to do)

The changes I made were eliminating sugar as much as possible. I get most of my sugar from fruit. I cut way back on 'white food'.... potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. My meals usually consist of olive oil, lots of veggies, nuts, chicken and seafood.

Yay, you've got it right, despite the message from the ADA:

WhoGivesCarbs.jpg

We went on a day trip to Brookings, OR. I didn't have my surfboard, but the waves were small and nice:

saNJhm6.jpg

It's exactly here that Lena got this shot in the past:

F9hUTgF.jpg

bbMWPkn.jpg

There were a lot of whales there, and I have some video of their spouts, but they are a little hard to see, so it's not worth uploading them.

Last edited:
bbbami - Congrats! great news on your health numbers and its good to see that someone lost the weight that I found

Last edited:
Keep up the good work...
Thank you seraphim. :flowers: Even tho I don't like the four letter word 'work', in this case, I'll make the exception. It does take work to improve our health sometimes.

bbbami - Congrats! great news on your health numbers and its good to see that someone lost the weight that I found
:D.......I swear Ronstar, I can smell cookies baking and I gain a pound. :p

bbbamI, that is GREAT news!!!! Congratulations!!!

I have been battling prediabetes for 2 years now. It was brought on by high dose steroids. Has nothing to do with my weight, as I am fairly lean to start with. I had to do strict carb control for a while, but my body seems to be "healing" finally - not nearly as many spikes - even with more carbs - which I am thoroughly enjoying having back in my diet! I am now no longer prediabetic - hopefully it stays that way.

The other things I did that may have helped (in addition to low carb diet) are:

1) started taking 1 tsp psyllium husk prior to most meals to slow the digestion of my food through the gut
2) started taking 100 mg of CoQ10 instead of 50 mg daily
3) when I can, exactly 30 min after each meal I go for a 30 minute walk or ride the recumbent bike for 30 mins to use up the glucose and prevent the spike (this was REMARKABLY effective, just not always so easy to do)
Thank you simple....ummmm, super girl. :flowers: Great info and congratulations to you!!!

I take psyllium husk as well. I take one tablet each day. I knew more than likely I wasn't getting enough fiber, so I started taking it in November. Another great thing it does is suppress my appetite.

Yay, you've got it right, despite the message from the ADA:

WhoGivesCarbs.jpg
Thanks Al....:flowers:

There is so much conflicting info out there. I had to wade through countless articles...and had to make the best decision and hope it worked.

I don't really think carbs are evil..it's just most times high carb foods can be high in calories. I'd rather eat a plate full of veggies than half a cup of pasta. At this point I'm averaging 1200 calories a day, so I take advantage of low calorie food as much as possible. I simply can not tolerate hunger pangs.

btw...love the beach photos! :greetings10:

Cooked three truly awesome racks of baby back ribs in the BGE. I've been doing this for about three years now, and I believe I've finally got the technique nailed. So much better than any restaurant ribs I've ever bought anywhere. :dance:

I just kind of sat in my recliner and goofed off all afternoon and evening. Felt good....

I'd rather eat a plate full of veggies than half a cup of pasta.

To deal with the conflicting info, probably the best way to approach it is to measure you blood sugar after eating different things. Most agree that anything that spikes the blood glucose is bad. But it's tricky and error-prone, and no fun to be pricking your finger a lot.

We are having a global warming day. In the first ten years we lived here, it never went above 60 degrees. Right now it is 70.

Nice bike ride:

MUTQL1O.jpg

q9az5gN.jpg

iU0ibnI.jpg

We saw some whales after the ride, and I tried very hard to get some photos or videos, but failed.

Cooked three truly awesome racks of baby back ribs in the BGE. I've been doing this for about three years now, and I believe I've finally got the technique nailed. So much better than any restaurant ribs I've ever bought anywhere. :dance:

I love ribs. Do you use a wet or dry rub, sweet or spicy?

To deal with the conflicting info, probably the best way to approach it is to measure you blood sugar after eating different things. Most agree that anything that spikes the blood glucose is bad. But it's tricky and error-prone, and no fun to be pricking your finger a lot.

That's exactly what I do. I test about 1 hour after meals. I prefer my glucose be below 140. If it spikes above that I try to figure out which item of what I ate spiked my glucose, and eliminate it or reduce the amount I consume of it.

Today has been unseasonably hot, for sure one of the hottest days I have experienced in San Francisco to date. The temperature in my apartment has reached the mid-80s (no A/C so I have to suffer through it), but it still beats being in the sun. So I stayed home most of the day and put together a new terrarium with a beach theme (sand, rock, mussel shells, and drift wood):

13891095769_6b3208d1b8_c.jpg

You said that they did not allow windows AC, but how about a free-standing AC?

The problem is with the hot air exhaust, which I think can be attached to a kitchen external exhaust (unlikely) or the cloth dryer exhaust.

The last day of the month is always "Fun with Excel Day" in the W2R household. I closed out my spreadsheet for April's spending, compared it with last year's (looking good, woo-hoo!). I recorded a new high net worth due to the record high market values today, that were high enough to put a smile on anybody's face. :D

Earlier in the day we went to the gym, and I completed my usual weight lifting routine so I feel tired in a good way.

You said that they did not allow windows AC, but how about a free-standing AC?

The problem is with the hot air exhaust, which I think can be attached to a kitchen external exhaust (unlikely) or the cloth dryer exhaust.

AC units of all kinds are prohibited. We just use a couple of box fans to cool the place down when the temps drop in the 50s or 60s at night. When we moved here in 2012, our bodies had a hard time tolerating the heat because we were so used to the AC being cranked up at home, in the car, and pretty much everywhere else. But we've adapted and the heat is now more bearable.

We're in the midst of a six week RV trip around the Southwest, and yesterday we 'played' in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Hiked over 10 miles, during which we spotted two rattlesnakes. The first alerted us to his presence with a vigorous shaking of his tail. That was a first for us both . . . I think we easily cleared four feet each as we simultaneously leaped backward and away.

I've spotted many a rattlesnake over the years during our hikes, but I've never been close enough to receive a warning!

+1.... love the BGE! Have a large and a mini on the deck..made pizza Tuesday night..

AC units of all kinds are prohibited.

Why would they do that? Is the wiring not updated to handle the load, or is electricity included in the rent and they don't want to pay the bill?

That would be an absolute deal-killer for me if I was renting an apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom