what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came down to a Tesla S85 or a Hyundai Elantra GT. Turns out there was a reason that I was able to FIRE - went with the Elantra GT.
WOW, talk about opposites. Hope you're enjoying your new ride and the fuel savings.

I am recovering from yesterday's hike. Eight miles of steep terrain with a heavy backpack. But the view from the top was worth it!

Two great days! One day carrying the backpack up and down the mountain, and the next feeling good about having done it yesterday and being glad you don't have to do it again today! :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Had our daily coffee on the bluff. It was 50 degrees, but the sun was warm enough to take off my shirt and get some Vitamin D and Nitrates. We watched a California Gray whale and her calf feeding about as close as the breaking wave on the left side of the photo. Each time they surfaced, there would be a big spout and little one.

My poor neighbor had to see us out there as he left on his 60 mile commute to work.

fmWaSEi.jpg

This is where we have coffee every day (if it's not raining). It looks like we're right at the edge of the cliff, but we are a healthy distance back. Our neighbor's house used to be there, but because of erosion they had to pick it up and move it across the street (and boy, were their arms tired!).

qnmbS9e.jpg

Last edited:
Loaded four big garden bags with leaves and other debris and left it to be hauled away to the compost place by the local community gardeners. Still have at least four more of the big bags to fill before the back is presentable.

Wow, I did not know T-Al's home is so close to the shore. Next time I pass by this area in my RV, will be on the lookout for him. If I see him, will park my RV and do one better by preparing a breakfast with eggs and bacon right on the spot, not just drinking coffee.

Wow, I did not know T-Al's home is so close to the shore. Next time I pass by this area in my RV, will be on the lookout for him. If I see him, will park my RV and do one better by preparing a breakfast with eggs and bacon right on the spot, not just drinking coffee.

Harrumph! I have a 360 degree vista of subdivision... But I drink a lot of coffee, and like eggs and bacon. :cool:

Got a new iPhone 5s, an oil change and potting soil, put the boat in the lake, and watched these guys on an 85 degree afternoon

Attachments

• 20140507-DSC_0567.jpg
    20140507-DSC_0567.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 24
Went and had lunch with a couple of Megacorp buddies. On my way home there was a guy selling fresh morels. Guess what's for dinner?
MRG

We're traveling around the Southwest in our RV, and today I think we had the 'perfect' Santa Fe day. We went on a Historic Walking Tour, had lunch at The Shed, took a docent tour at the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, and finished off the day with margaritas and appetizers at the Bell Tower Bar in the La Fonda Hotel. The day ended rather chilly, so we enjoyed our drinks on the 5th floor Bell Tower balcony sitting in front of a fire while wrapped in brightly colored Mexican blankets the hotel provided. And because this is a w#*kday, we had the bar to ourselves. :)

We watched a California Gray whale and her calf feeding about as close as the breaking wave on the left side of the photo. Each time they surfaced, there would be a big spout and little one.
When they slide by my place here shortly looking for some ghost shrimp dinner... they will be Washington Gray whales. :angel:

Went to the doctor today. As the assistant was taking my vitals, in preparation for the main doctor's visit, the conversation went something like this -

Doctor's assistant - "You're on blood-pressure medication right?"
Me - "No. Why, should I be?"
Doctor's assistant - "No, it's just that usually when I see a patient of your age with blood pressure in this range, it's because they're on medication. You have an athletic pulse rate, you know."
Me - "Oh, that's cool" (but I was sitting there feeling pretty happy with myself for having ridden a bicycle as my sole form of transport daily for the last 12 years.)

My heart rate is 54, which I guess is pretty good. Looks like a life of bicycle riding, red wine drinking, and kitty cuddling is doing me good!

Being too cheap to buy a car can actually have health benefits too :D

Last night was the first of four classes in "Nature and Wildlife Photography". It was all classroom discussion and as I expected much of it at beginner level. There was discussion of the shutter speeds needed to "stop action" of a hummingbird's wings with the conclusion as explained here that you need a high-speed flash. Shutter speed alone with a normal camera won't do it.

Because it's a community college adult ed non-credit class and only 2-3 hours long the definition of "wildlife" may be stretched a bit. We'll be shooting at a farm the next two weeks. He's set up several bird feeders to attracts those and perhaps some squirrels.

And of course this class gave me an excuse to order a Better Beamer flash extender when I got home.:D

I went on a 10-mile walk around town. So far this week, I am averaging about 20,000 steps a day. Not bad. I like how those long, solitary walks help to clear up my mind. And I get to experiment with my new camera along the way. When I came back home, I found out that my computer backup drive had failed. So I ordered a new 2TB one on Amazon using credit card points. I had been craving homemade burgers and jerk fries for a while, so that's what I made for dinner. After dinner, I started working on a new watercolor. My throat is slightly sore tonight so I am medicating with plenty of hot tea spiked with lemon and honey.

Traveled in to the City (SF) to meet a guy who had a camera (an X100) for sale. It was a really good deal, with a lot of good accessories, and a very fair price. However, picky old me couldn't get past the few surface scratches on the body and the LCD screen. On top of that, it seems to be more menu driven than my DSLR. While sitting in the coffee shop, I couldn't figure out how it all worked and couldn't help thinking that if I got it home and something wasn't working, I had no comeback - as it was a cash sale from Craigslist.

I decided to go with my gut and pass on it. On the way back home, stuffed all the cash back in the bank and realized what a miser I have become, as it felt good to be putting that money back in my account.

The most I can get myself to spend on photography was the $43 I spent on 2 new batteries and a new shoulder strap for my DSLR this last week.

If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery? :LOL:

Last edited:
...If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery? :LOL:
I will do it for you, but only if you tell me first where you bury that can full of Krugerrands. >:D

Gee! Perhaps you do not really want that camera after all. That's OK. I thought for a long time about upgrading my RV, and decided that the purchase may just bring me buyer remorse and not enhance my travel experience at all, after all the mods I have done on the current one and know it inside out.

Last edited:
Admit it - you were looking for an excuse weren't you? :D

Well, yes. It's been on the "wish list" there for at least a year but I couldn't think of a justification. Now I have one.:LOL:

Reviews are almost all positive on it. It's a Fresnel lens for a flash. I'll probably bring a light stand or two but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it without interfering with someone else's shot.

Went to NYC to visit a dear friend. Over Wednesday, back Thursday. We talk often but only visit a couple of times a year.

Been building a new road inside our property (30 hectares, or about 70 acres) - we have a beautiful mountain river at the bottom of our property, but getting there is rugged, so I am building a road so I can mountain bike to it.

Building a road with a backhoe is a lot of fun!!!

Traveled in to the City (SF) to meet a guy who had a camera (an X100) for sale. It was a really good deal, with a lot of good accessories, and a very fair price. However, picky old me couldn't get past the few surface scratches on the body and the LCD screen. On top of that, it seems to be more menu driven than my DSLR. While sitting in the coffee shop, I couldn't figure out how it all worked and couldn't help thinking that if I got it home and something wasn't working, I had no comeback - as it was a cash sale from Craigslist.

I decided to go with my gut and pass on it. On the way back home, stuffed all the cash back in the bank and realized what a miser I have become, as it felt good to be putting that money back in my account.

The most I can get myself to spend on photography was the $43 I spent on 2 new batteries and a new shoulder strap for my DSLR this last week.

If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery? :LOL:

If it was indeed a X100 and not a X100S, then you did well to pass on it. From what I read, the confusing menu and inaccurate autofocus were common sources of complaint on the X100. Both have been much improved on the X100S. A firmware upgrade for the X100 does exist, but perhaps this camera was not upgraded.

If your gut feeling was to pass on it, then I think you did the right thing. Those surface scratches would probably have bothered you more tomorrow than they did when you were looking over the camera in the coffee shop. Maybe you will come across an X100S without any scratches at all later on, or maybe it was not meant to be. For me, anyway, sometimes the dream of an acquisition far surpasses the actual purchasing experience. Other times, it doesn't and sometimes it's hard to predict.

What did I do today? Well so far, slept in. Pretty soon we will be heading for the gym and lunch, but it's still early.

Yesterday I had to get up two hours earlier because my painter came over and painted my new side door. The best thing about the new door is having the dream of a new door for years and finally having that dream realized so very perfectly. I get a thrill out of just opening and closing the door for no reason at all, because it works so smoothly. Ah, the little things in life..... they can make all the difference! :D

The keypad entry is wonderful to have and well worth the cost as well. The blinds that are inside the window and not exposed to dust and dirt are such a luxury too. Whether I end up moving from this house in a few years or not, still I am glad I went ahead with the door replacement.

Last edited:
Gee! Perhaps you do not really want that camera after all. That's OK. I thought for a long time about upgrading my RV, and decided that the purchase may just bring me buyer remorse and not enhance my travel experience at all, after all the mods I have done on the current one and know it inside out.
There is definitely some kind of test going on to see how much I want it. I'm still not sure which side is going to win (that almost makes me sound like a schizophrenic with 2 personalities - a spending one and a frugal one!)

If it was indeed a X100 and not a X100S, then you did well to pass on it. From what I read, the confusing menu and inaccurate autofocus were common sources of complaint on the X100. Both have been much improved on the X100S. A firmware upgrade for the X100 does exist, but perhaps this camera was not upgraded.
It was an X100 with the most recent f/w update and although it was in good (not excellent) condition, there were a number of small concerns that, added together, made me decide to pass. Even though the f/w upgrade reportedly improved the X100 a great deal, I understand the the X100S is an even more worthwhile upgrade (faster processor, better placement of buttons, better menu system, improved focus-by-wire arrangement etc.) He had a Thumbs Up grip in the hot shoe and however hard we pulled, we weren't able to get it out. I am picky about even minor scratches on an LCD screen, as my plan was to cover mine with a good protector straight away. The minor scratches on the body I could have lived with, but after 20 minutes of trying to figure out the menu system I was beginning to realize that either a) I didn't want this camera as bad as I thought I did or b) I actually wanted a brand new X100S with a manufacturer warranty. At that point I decided to follow my gut and let him know that I was going to pass.

One thing I did notice though, was that as we were sitting in the coffee shop, I was taking a few pictures, and no-one seemed to mind. If I'd been doing the same thing with my DSLR, I would have received a few looks. With the X100S - nothing. It did feel like more of a "stealth" camera, and as I'm particularly interested in street photography, this was a welcome revelation.

If your gut feeling was to pass on it, then I think you did the right thing. Those surface scratches would probably have bothered you more tomorrow than they did when you were looking over the camera in the coffee shop. Maybe you will come across an X100S without any scratches at all later on, or maybe it was not meant to be. For me, anyway, sometimes the dream of an acquisition far surpasses the actual purchasing experience. Other times, it doesn't and sometimes it's hard to predict.

What did I do today? Well so far, slept in. Pretty soon we will be heading for the gym and lunch, but it's still early.

Yesterday I had to get up two hours earlier because my painter came over and painted my new side door. The best thing about the new door is having the dream of a new door for years and finally having that dream realized so very perfectly. I get a thrill out of just opening and closing the door for no reason at all, because it works so smoothly. Ah, the little things in life..... they can make all the difference! :D

The keypad entry is wonderful to have and well worth the cost as well. The blinds that are inside the window and not exposed to dust and dirt are such a luxury too. Whether I end up moving from this house in a few years or not, still I am glad I went ahead with the door replacement.
I stopped being a homeowner about 10 years ago and have never owned that type of door. My first instinct on seeing them was that something mechanical could break down inside and would be hard to fix but based on the comments from others when you were first talking about it, it seems they are very reliable. In that case, it sounds wonderful. There is great pleasure in having things that function and enhance our lives. Doors can be pesky things sometimes. In this, and the last place I lived in (both rentals) my main door acted like a barometer, in that it reacted to the amount of humidity in the air. Only at certain times of year would it fit and operate smoothly. Enjoy your lovely new (and beautiful) door W2R!

There is definitely some kind of test going on to see how much I want it. I'm still not sure which side is going to win (that almost makes me sound like a schizophrenic with 2 personalities - a spending one and a frugal one!)
No it doesn't
Yes it does
No it doesn't
Yes, it does
No, it doesn't
Yes, it does!
No, it doesn't!

"If you two don't stop that right now I'm gonna stop this car and put you out!"

No you won't
Yes I will...

:)

Reviews are almost all positive on it. It's a Fresnel lens for a flash. I'll probably bring a light stand or two but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it without interfering with someone else's shot.

Do animals react to it? In other words, do you have just one chance to get the shot or do they, for the most part, ignore the brief flash of light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom