what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed watching it rain for almost an entire day. A total of 4.5 inches, the most we've seen in almost three years. Our local lake has risen over four feet in the past 24 hours. Only 90 more feet to go until it is full. :nonono:

That's a lot of water - and a lot still to go. How's the roof holding out?

By my rough calculation it will take more than 70 inches of rainfall over the relatively small watershed area to fill the lake. And that doesn't take into account evaporation...

The hail damage hasn't caused any roof leaks, at least not yet. I've scheduled the replacement for the first week in July. I hope I have to postpone due to rain...

Last edited:
Great pictures FIREd.

Went on a picnic, and took the new freeway camera:

KEkMLR7.jpg

It's hard to get photos of the whales, but this was one of two guys chugging by like a freight train. They were heading north at about 4 MPH, very close to the shore:

DVtD3uh.jpg

I've never seen as many whales as I have this month.

All done with my motorhome, which got its fluids changed, washed and waxed, I spent today just hanging around the forum, making quite a few posts, testing my meat thermometers and posted about that.

Just now, when my wife's 401k MF report came in, saw that the portfolio surpassed the last high-water mark set a few weeks ago by a few $K. More than that, I have spent a 5-figure sum since then, due to some one-time expenses.

Darn, how long can this good thing last? Can equities be the gift that keep on giving?

Last edited:
Darn, how long can this good thing last? Can equities be the gift that keep on giving?
Well we know that over the long-term they (most likely) can, but to heck with the long-term - the here-and-now has been feeling very good these days. Long may it last :dance:

Why do I keep feeling suspicious about this gift horse and want to look inside its mouth? Long in the teeth?

Had a pretty quiet day. Surveyed my dad's new land acquisitions. Picked up my niece from school. Had dinner with the family.

Rainy day...

Slept late, played on the internet, made lunch, played on the internet, went to the grocery store, played on the internet, made dinner, played on the internet, watched a movie, played on the internet. I'm exhausted :p ;)

Bummer day. A nearby lightning strike yesterday afternoon did some electrical damage, including frying the low-voltage transformer in the furnace and a circuit board there, which in turn feeds the low voltage to the A/C. Hopefully anything downstream from that will be under warranty since the A/C is only a year old. It also flipped a four circuit breakers, burned out some light bulbs, fried a smoke detector and worst of all fried some part of my computer, which gave a "keyboard error" when I turned it back on. Nothing wrong with the keyboard since that's the one I'm using now. All this despite having a whole-house surge protector and a UPS with surge protection on the computer by itself. At least the refrigerator survived.

Bought six new smoke detectors and will replace all of them in the next few days. The fried one (they're the hardwired type) was much warmer than the others so that was a fire hazard in itself so I took that out right away.

Well, I was thinking about buying a laptop anyway, so that's what I'm using now. And I already hate Windows 8.1. "Charms tile"? WTH is that? So I'll have to order the big thick manual on Win 8.1 from Amazon tonight. Good thing I signed up for Prime the other day.

Didn't even make it to the gym today, which is normally a pretty high priority.

Fortunately the weather is forecast to be benign the next few days which is good since we have neither heat nor A/C until the ordered circuit board comes in. Hopefully nothing else downstream from that got fried too.

I have backups of the data on the tower PC but not looking forward to doing the restore to a different computer if I have to.

And to top it all off, while I was out buying smoke detectors DW tripped on the stairs to the garage, fell, and injured her right hand. We're still not sure if that's just bruising/sprain or something else. She talked to the Doc so it sounds like the former but we'll see.

On the bright side, I don't have a job so I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I'll have time to deal with all this!

Last edited:
what did you do today?

Walt34,

Sorry to hear about your lightning strike.

When we had our new furnace and AC installed we also had a whole house surge protector installed. I don't remember all the particulars but there is a warranty included with it, for damage to things that should have been protected.

Ok, I found the paperwork on the Sycom SYC-120/240TC surge protector.....

"Damage from direct, catastrophic lightning hits are not covered under this warranty."

So, was this a direct hit, or was it somewhere nearby and caused a surge to your power? Our warranty covers electro-mechanical appliances $1500/item, maximum of $25,000 per occurrence.

Last edited:
I wonder if the home insurance will cover lightning strike damages.

I wonder if the home insurance will cover lightning strike damages.
+1

Had similar occurrence with nearby lightning strike~12 years ago; homeowners insurance covered it. Seemed to be random stuff that took the hit, garage door opener, water heater control module, cordless phone base station (like I said, years ago), and some of the house wiring. Did the troubleshooting myself but opted to hire electrician to do the repairs, who stared at me like "right, so you know exactly what the problem is and where the fault is." When he verified exactly what and where the problem was, right where I told him it would be, he silently completed the work with no more eye rolling.

I felt is was best to have a receipt showing 'professional repair' in case any further issues cropped up down the road. Insurance company reimbursed me for materials replaced and electrician's bill with no fuss whatsoever.

Walt, sorry to hear about your problems. Lightning strikes can be a real pain to deal with and the damage can be random and strange.

Last edited:
Bummer day. A nearby lightning strike yesterday afternoon did some electrical damage, including frying the low-voltage transformer in the furnace and a circuit board there, which in turn feeds the low voltage to the A/C. Hopefully anything downstream from that will be under warranty since the A/C is only a year old. It also flipped a four circuit breakers, burned out some light bulbs, fried a smoke detector and worst of all fried some part of my computer, which gave a "keyboard error" when I turned it back on. Nothing wrong with the keyboard since that's the one I'm using now. All this despite having a whole-house surge protector and a UPS with surge protection on the computer by itself. At least the refrigerator survived.
That's bad luck, sorry to hear about it. Keep your receipts and call your insurance agent ASAP, this sounds claim worthy.

We got a surge hit and they did cover us. The one do over, I wish, I went out and replaced an old flat screen with a new one. The adjustor said since we had the paperwork on the old TV they would have to given us the 3k we had paid a long time ago. Instead they gave us $500.
Best wishes,
MRG

what did you do today?

Sorry to hear about the lightning strike Walt. We went through something similar last year. Lightning strike was about a mile away that created a power surge at our house. Whole neighborhood had power knocked out for 2 days. Fried our oven, a ceiling fan, water treatment system, and a few strip surge protectors. Water system only needed a new fuse. The $ damage was less than our insurance deductible, so it didn't put in a claim.

Last edited:
what did you do today?

Been on the road for three weeks. Spent the past four days in Camden, ME. Got some OK photos - nothing worth mentioning. Up on Mt. Battie two days ago, in the shifting fog, trying to get some photos of the harbor framed in fog. Didn't work out so well lol. The fog was either too thick or too wispy. Ate dinner out last night for our 37th wedding anniversary. DW started feeling ill after that. It's currently in the mid fifties, and if DW feels well enough, we'll put the canoe out in the harbor for a few hours. Tomorrow, we head to Lily Bay on Moosehead Lake. No specific plans after that.

Last edited:
Sorry about the lightning hit Walt34- we had a power surge in December during one of the heavy snows and ice. Flipped a lot of breakers, especially the new "arcfault" breakers we had to use when we built the new guest cabin. One of those breakers also was fried and had to be replaced at $50 each. Biggest issue was the controller on the furnace blower motor went out, took a few days to get the part but found another motor/controller to use in the interim or would have been quite cold!

I bought a new laptop recently as well and really don't like Windows 8.x.

Just returned from visiting my daughter ,SIL & grandsons . It was a good trip with lots of grandchildren time but traveling is getting to be a hassle.There are no more direct flights so I have to take two planes and then drive for 2 and a half hours to get to her house .I love to travel but I hate the travel days .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom