what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that is what brings many of us here. I really like working on my spreadsheets.

Somebody here I think once wrote what good is having money if all you do is look at numbers on a page. Personally, I would rather look at my numbers than buy a designer purse. Those numbers represent financial security and freedom from long work hours and oppressive megacorp policies and bosses.

My purse broke and DH helped me pick out a new one. We were both shocked at some of the prices of designer purses, even at supposed discount stores like TJ Maxx.

Finding the perfect purse is difficult but when finally found, it's almost miraculous. After trying several purses (and getting teased about being almost purse obsessed), earlier this year I *finally* found the perfect purse (for me... every woman has a different perfect purse, I suspect). Anyway, I thought I'd pass it along.

It is amazingly utilitarian and I have no desire to ever try another purse. I never lose my keys any more due to the key leash thingie, and for the first time I have more pockets and compartments than I will ever need. Plus, it is extremely lightweight and seems quite durable. It did cost $35 which is ridiculous, but oh well. Today it is $40, even worse.

Last edited:
what did you do today?

I am a one purse at a time person, and I like a small purse. I find one that I like and keep it a long time. My current one was a marked down/discontinued/one day sale bargain from a Coach Outlet store. I think I've had it 7 years.

My purse has to be able to fit in the glove box of my car, so the size and shape is important.

It's still my favorite, although it's starting to show some age......just like me.

Last edited:
Finding the perfect purse is difficult but when finally found, it's almost miraculous. After trying several purses (and getting teased about being almost purse obsessed), earlier this year I *finally* found the perfect purse (for me... every woman has a different perfect purse, I suspect). Anyway, I thought I'd pass it along.

It is amazingly utilitarian and I have no desire to ever try another purse. I never lose my keys any more due to the key leash thingie, and for the first time I have more pockets and compartments than I will ever need. Plus, it is extremely lightweight and seems quite durable. It did cost $35 which is ridiculous, but oh well. Today it is $40, even worse.

Oh, I like that. I will keep that in my Amazon wishlist for the next time I need a new purse. I found one that looks almost exactly like that at Ross yesterday, so I am set for now. We also bought a leather needle to fix up my old purse to use as a spare.

Paid $2.94 a gallon to fill up truck, $.55 off a gallon! Got groceries, guy with sign asking for handouts in parking lot. Says he's traveling with kids needs food.
I normally don't get involved, but this isn't an area I've ever seen begging in. Few weeks back Taco Bell messed up my order give me ten dollar rain check. Stopped and gave it to him, in broken English, he's extremely grateful.
MRG

Sounds great! Thanks. One of the great things about this forum is that there are some others who, like me, get a kick out of doing this sort of thing. :LOL:

My nose was itchy earlier this morning. Thought my allergy was returning, but now I know someone might be talkin' about me.

But I don't have to do much to count. Quicken does it all for me. It counts to the penny, but displays some fields to the dollar. Good 'nuf for me.

Speaking of setting new milestones, why do we pay more attention when a digit rolls from a 9 to a 0? I am too far from the next 7th digit roll-over to hold my breath, but even the 6th digit roll-over has been elusive. I came close to it earlier this year, but then the market ebbed. Then I came close again last month, but due to withdrawal I could not set a new high. Well, if I added the expenses back to the total, then the portfolio did indeed set a new high, but it is not the same thing.

Anyway, I finally breached that mentally important milestone last week, only to lose it again on Friday. Today, Quicken's bottom line is mounting another assault and succeeds even before MF results are in, due to near real-time update of stock prices (Quicken has a 20-min stock price delay). Tomorrow will be another story as the future unfolds. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Brought cat back from boarding; combed and washed.

We took the first withdrawal from DW's ROTH IRA today. Set up an automatic monthly withdrawal. Kinda felt like the day we got our first pension check. Our WR is less than 1 percent, we will ramp it up to maybe 2% over the course of the next few years.

Went kayaking on my favorite lake. The 10% chance of rain was 100%, hit while in the middle of the lake. In my kit alwas is a rain poncho. For the first itme in 5 years it was put to use.

My nose was itchy earlier this morning. Thought my allergy was returning, but now I know someone might be talkin' about me.

But I don't have to do much to count. Quicken does it all for me. It counts to the penny, but displays some fields to the dollar. Good 'nuf for me.

Speaking of setting new milestones, why do we pay more attention when a digit rolls from a 9 to a 0? I am too far from the next 7th digit roll-over to hold my breath, but even the 6th digit roll-over has been elusive. I came close to it earlier this year, but then the market ebbed. Then I came close again last month, but due to withdrawal I could not set a new high. Well, if I added the expenses back to the total, then the portfolio did indeed set a new high, but it is not the same thing.

Anyway, I finally breached that mentally important milestone last week, only to lose it again on Friday. Today, Quicken's bottom line is mounting another assault and succeeds even before MF results are in, due to near real-time update of stock prices (Quicken has a 20-min stock price delay). Tomorrow will be another story as the future unfolds. Fun stuff!

I'm getting close to a number, too.... each time the stock market surges, it teases us, getting a little closer and then falling back. Sort of like surf, in a rising tide... :D Kind of fun!

Spent a few days at Moosehead Lake in Maine, and got some paddling in our canoe done. Yes, met a moose. Learned some lessons about black flies that were painful. Realized today I have been retired exactly one year. Time flies...

We received a wonderful letter from the power company that they will reimburse us for all electrical damage from the lightning strike.:dance: They include a simple form to fill out listing what was damaged and what the cost is to fix or replace.

I didn't see that one coming!

Last edited:
Spent a few days at Moosehead Lake in Maine, and got some paddling in our canoe done. Yes, met a moose. Learned some lessons about black flies that were painful. Realized today I have been retired exactly one year. Time flies...

Many years ago had earthquake sensors to service in Vermont and the Adirondack region of NY state. I never went for service trips unitl after mid September. By then the black flies went to sleep. Nasty buggers they are.

Congrats on the anniversary.

We had coffee on the patio in the morning in our lounge chairs, sitting in the sun watching the birds and squirrels. There were four deer, including a fawn, grazing out behind the fence, though their turkey friend wasn't with them this time. I hope he found some other actual turkeys to hang out with. I do feel bad for him wandering around alone or trying to fit in with the deer as I think turkeys are social animals. In the past we have sometimes found them on our car hoods trying to socialize with their reflections in the windshield. (If you ever need a good reason for being late for work or an appointment, try there was a wild turkey on my car hood.)

We took the dog for a walk and then had lunch out at a Mexican restaurant with a buy one get one free coupon from the Entertainment book.

Last edited:
Watched the tree guys take down a big cottonwood, and organized my router bits

Attachments

• 20140603-DSC01051.jpg
    20140603-DSC01051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
We received a wonderful letter from the power company that they will reimburse us for all electrical damage from the lightning strike.:dance: They include a simple form to fill out listing what was damaged and what the cost is to fix or replace.

I didn't see that one coming!

Walt, pinch yourself to see if this letter was really a dream!:D

(that' great!)

Cut and edged my grass, then went to DD's house and cut and edged hers. Then killed a few thousand fire ants (in hills). It was 88F and very humid out there.

Start of the "living in the Great Swamp and Sweating season". No day over 90F yet.

Ls99- beautiful foot rest you made!! And how much did you pay your chiropractor to straighten out your spine after wrestling with that log?! Just kidding... :)

Two new alpacas arrived today, Arthur and Aries (the two white ones with blue halters), both around 2 years old. They should fit in with the other 7 boys just fine. These two have been together since birth so we brought them here together as we didn't want to break them up.

img_1456019_0_858e042ff589fc557ba881d770323eb3.jpg

Two new alpacas arrived today, Arthur and Aries (the two white ones with blue halters), both around 2 years old. They should fit in with the other 7 boys just fine. These two have been together since birth so we brought them here together as we didn't want to break them up.

Too cute for words!

Studying and learning a new programming language, Swift. This one is pretty easy, a nice clean modern language.

I don't know why I have so much trouble with human languages. Binary incompatibility, probably...

Went to the beach yesterday. Probably our last visit this season as we prepare to migrate north.

The Blue Angels precision flying circus is in the next town practicing for this weekend's air show. Making a hell of a racket, causing traffic jams with rubberneckers, and a few cars have ran off into the ditches trying to watch the fast moving FA18 Hornets.

Awsome flying skills. Their practice runs make for better show than the real show, which I will skip.

In other news, scored a George Benson casette in perfect condition at Goodwill, 25 cents.

img_1456475_0_858e042ff589fc557ba881d770323eb3.jpg

Cute. I guess the older one is asking, do you boys speak Alpaca?

First time I've been home all day in a week. Left last Thursday to visit DS who had tonsils and sinus surgery Friday morning - he realized a few days before that having Mom take him to the surgical center, bring him home, get prescriptions and groceries, etc., would be a good idea. All went well and I drove home Saturday afternoon. Then DD informed me that she wanted to leave a day early for our drive to NOLA, stopping in Houston to visit one of her uncles and sell him back a guitar she had bought from him several years ago. Also she had previously neglected to inform me that her truck did not have A/C. But we had a great trip anyway and I flew home yesterday while she continued her cross-country journey (she's moving from Portland to give life in the Big Apple a try).

Had an early a.m. board committee meeting downtown (my once a month reminder of just how horrible rush hour traffic is). Then came home and caught up on a week of e-mails (I mostly had just glanced at them on my phone), paid bills, and took care of some to-dos for various volunteer roles. Set up the new Breville Smart Oven (see this thread) Started tidying the house as I'm hosting a bridal shower Sunday for the son and fiancée of a friend, and I'll be gone all day tomorrow for a volunteer meeting. Then decided I should go out and order the flowers and get the shower gift today. Finally accomplished enough that my reward is catching up with all the good folks here at ER.org!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom