what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank and I had a delightful lunch together. Then we made a "Goodwill run" to drop off donations. I brought my old stainless flatware now that I bought new stainless , and he brought some old clothes and various things.

In other words, another nice, quiet, peaceful day of retirement. :)

Cute. I guess the older one is asking, do you boys speak Alpaca?

There is a lot of excitement when new guys join the herd! a lot of humming and whining along with some spitting if they don't hit it off right away, these guys fit right in so far.

The brown one in the picture is only a few months older than the two new ones- part of the reason their previous owners asked us to take them was because they were so small, they were kept in a separate area and they needed the space back for others. We have 9 animals and they generally run towards the smaller end of the size range for alpacas.

We moved back into the 21st century, the A/C is now working and my tower PC is back home.

We moved back into the 21st century, the A/C is now working and my tower PC is back home.

Wonderful! Nothing like a nice cool home in the heat of summer.

As for us, we went to the gym and lunch together as usual. Last night he innocently put $5 into a video poker machine, and won $680. The man has more luck than anybody I have ever met! After lunch we stopped by to collect his winnings. He smiled all afternoon. :D

Congratulations Walt! :flowers:

Wonderful! Nothing like a nice cool home in the heat of summer.

As for us, we went to the gym and lunch together as usual. Last night he innocently put $5 into a video poker machine, and won $680. The man has more luck than anybody I have ever met! After lunch we stopped by to collect his winnings. He smiled all afternoon. :D
...and congratulations to Frank too! :flowers:

--------------------

Today I decided I will no longer dye my hair. Silver hair growth has been greatly accelerating the last few months, and I'm giving in...

My decision is kind of scary and exciting at the same time. :blink:

What does it take to get Frank to make a "Wh***" post here, so his luck will rub off some on us?

I am posting this from the boonies home, in cool air at 7000 ft, using the neighbor's WIFI that he graciously let me use. The link is however iffy at a distance of more than 300 ft.

Last edited:
Today I decided I will no longer dye my hair. Silver hair growth has been greatly accelerating the last few months, and I'm giving in...

Good for you bbbamI!

I am not quite ready to go cold turkey, but I am getting tired of paying through the nose for colour and have purchased a box of home hair colouring which I hope to try out the week before my next scheduled hairdo. We will see whether I have the courage to go through with it!

Last edited:
--------------------

I hope you end up with that great silver gray hair . That always looks great .I have been thinking that when I finally decide to go gray I will have the hairdresser add gray streaks first so it will be easier to grow out .

Quit working the second time. Drank to much beer. Tried to figure out life in Colorado

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

....The man has more luck than anybody I have ever met! ...

Well, he gets to hang with you so he was lucky to begin with and it appears his luck is improving even more. Is he going to splurge with his winnings?

Today - I'm going to smoke/bbq a pork butt (shoulder) and make pulled pork sandwiches for the family.

So, it will be a casual day on the patio, some music, and something cool to drink while the meat slowly cooks.

My 94-year old neighbor found an Assisted Living Facility to her liking so she has started the process of cleaning out her one-bedroom apartment. Last night I spent 3.5 hours organizing and pricing all her kitchen stuff and her tchotchkes.

At 7:15 this morning, I took everything over to our neighboring ALF where they were having a 'yard sale' from 8-1 in their outdoor plaza. Shade and huge overhead fans kept it tolerable as we have definitely hit summer here in the Tampa Bay area.

'Priced to sell' is my motto. 90% of the items were $.25 and $.50. An expensive item was $1.00. I made $75 and still took two boxes of plates and glasses to Goodwill! She doesn't really need the money but she was ecstatic about having all those items out of her apartment. She told me worrying about getting rid of all of it was keeping her awake at night. Can't have that!

Her one-bedroom apartment is not cluttered so it was surprising how much stuff there was when we started opening cabinets and hauling stuff out. I now understand what a huge task it is for family members of the dear departed to empty a large dwelling.

She'll be moving in about 30 days and she's promised most of the large items to others (that she's not taking) so we are ahead of schedule!

Buckeye, That was such a nice thing you did, helping your neighbor.

Many years ago had earthquake sensors to service in Vermont and the Adirondack region of NY state. I never went for service trips unitl after mid September. By then the black flies went to sleep. Nasty buggers they are.

Congrats on the anniversary.

Thanks Is99. Just got home today from our northeast tour. Picked up a Seagate Wirless hard drive on our travels, so I can access files with all devices. Got to play with it a bit, but for now we're unpacking the camper and cleaning things out getting ready for the next tour.

May head north through Michigan into Canada, an area we have yet to explore. Ought to be some great remote areas to camp with a truck camper, and lakes to canoe on.

Went to the Farmers Market. Planted tomato and pepper plants. Hung out with a niece and nephew at a classic car show. Now off to dinner and lose $5 betting on the trotters and pacers with a friend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Buckeye, That was such a nice thing you did, helping your neighbor.

I know my neighbor is really my grandma come back to life to give me a second chance to spend more time with her! :angel: As an adult, I always lived an airplane flight away from my grandmother although I was the only one at her death-bed. Seeing grandma for a day twice per year was just not enough but life intervened.

My neighbor's son lives in PA and he is about 70. He is physically impaired because of lifelong smoking and the heat and humidity in Florida are really tough on him. DH and I are friends with him and he trusts us to do the best for his mom. He comes to Florida a couple of times a year but he won't be able to come and participate in her move in mid-July so we will handle everything.

She is very excited about moving because she made the choice to move. We did lots of visits to find just the right ALF! Best of all, it's only a mile from the apartment!

Yesterday, we spent the morning on the deck watching the alpacas work on mowing the weeds in our yard. This was the first time the two newest alpacas were in with the entire herd. We usually keep the five smallest ones together, then the other four together but they do mix once in a while.

img_1457433_0_73ebbe260f6707cc0cfe596fbe3dc212.jpg

Our small town had a history festival so we spent an hour or two wandering around, bought a few craft items to use for birthdays and gifts. Saw a number of people we work with during the fall for a local charity event so it was nice to catch up.

Glass of wine on the porch, pork chops for dinner, then watched game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals. Taped the game as it went to overtime so don't know the outcome yet, will finish it later this morning.

Weather was beautiful, cool and sunny, great day to spend time outside.

Just got home today from our northeast tour... we're unpacking the camper and cleaning things out getting ready for the next tour.

May head north through Michigan into Canada, an area we have yet to explore. Ought to be some great remote areas to camp with a truck camper, and lakes to canoe on.
I am planning a long RV trip for late summer/early fall that will take us through UP Michigan to the Thousand Islands area, into Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City, then to Nova Scotia. We have been to Montreal a couple of times, and also Quebec City, but not Ottawa. I have been debating whether to take the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland Island. May have to save that for a fly/drive trip later to avoid an overload of rocky coast scenery.

By proper timing, we may be lucky to catch the fall foliage of New England before heading home, and maybe even linger to see Halloween in Salem as we did many years ago. It will be around 9K+ miles and perhaps more than 2 months.

Last edited:
Traveled from KC to Melbourne FL. Then drove south to Vero. Tomorrow going to look at houses. Not sure FL. is where I want to end up at, might make DW. happy.
MRG

Social Security is FINALLY going to pay me instead of the reverse (I hope)

This was a momentous day for me, the day after my 66th birthday, because.....

I just applied for half my ex's Social Security at no cost to him, while mine remains growing until age 70. At age 70 I will switch to my own, larger benefits. I had to be 66 to do this if I wanted my own benefits to continue growing until age 70, and I did due to family longevity.

Someone here pointed out to me that there was a bill in Congress this spring to eliminate this tricky little maneuver. Yikes! :eek: But apparently either it did not get passed or else I got in just under the wire.

It seemed pretty easy, and I am so happy that it was. Hopefully all will proceed smoothly. When I see that deposit in my bank account, I will be all smiles. :D:D:D:D:D

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about how much half my ex's SS would be. Hopefully lots, but any amount is welcome. :)

Last edited:
Surely, it's free money so there's no reason not to take it. More to spend on Amazon!

I just had a quote to redo the siding of the detached garage of my boonies home. Will use composite planks this time instead of real wood. Real wood sucks! Man-made material rules! The original siding lasted less than 8 years.

So, I will be injecting some stimulus into the local economy here, as quite a bit is for labor.

Last edited:
This was a momentous day for me, the day after my 66th birthday, because.....

I just applied for half my ex's Social Security at no cost to him, while mine remains growing until age 70.

A very Happy Birthday, W2R! And what a great present to yourself, courtesy of a long gone ex and the Social Security system.

Reactions: W2R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom