what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I somehow manage to irritate DW by sitting patiently on a bench somewhere while she shops, so she has given up taking me shopping with her. (I don't go shopping, I go to buy something - and then come home.)

Is my DW her sister? Same thing here.

Today we went down to her uncle's place on the Patuxent river not far from the Chesapeake Bay. He has a nice dock and small beach there. Lots of great food (everyone brings some and it's always too much) and a good time was had by all. We didn't stay for fireworks (which were canceled for the hurricane that didn't happen anyway) because the drive home is just under three hours.

Attachments

• Grillin'-1.jpg
    Grillin'-1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Pax_River-1.jpg
    Pax_River-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 23
  • Pax_River-2.jpg
    Pax_River-2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 24
Went to our local nursery, got some flowers and plants for the garden (bell pepper, tomato, cucumber), got the groceries for a big BBQ on Saturday (St Louis style ribs), enjoyed some music on the back patio with something cold to sip...a good day!

Hopped aboard the venerable ferry the "Queen of Nanaimo" for a 10 day holiday on "my island". I'm going to treat this as an ER sneak preview. Lots of kayaking to be done, as well as some fishing, crabbing, and maybe some prawning.

Recently discovered an amazing fish taco recipe and can't wait to try it with some freshly caught rockfish, lingcod, or halibut.

Weather looks to be nice for your preview, Coho and crabbing just opened here. Enjoy

Spending money. Our driveway project is in full force. We're paying for the most grunt-like work, having the old driveway torn up and hauled away. We are DIYers - but breaking up and hauling away 1000 sf of concrete, plus another 12 cubic yards of dirt would take our entire retirement. The crew and their equipement will have it done in less than 8 hours.

tomorrow loads of DG and sand arrive to form the new base. DH, sons, and I will be the labor to spread and compact it.

Friday the pavers arrive. Same labor arrangement - DH, sons, and I will lay the pavers.

We're paying the kids - older son wants to build a new super-gaming computer and at $15/hour, he should earn a good bit towards it.

All in - it will cost us between $8k and $10k. (including the cost of the labor we hired today.) We had quotes for $25k-30k to have it done entirely by others.

I suspect my family will be taking a lot of vitamin I in the next 2 weeks.

img_1469075_0_7859c9e95e6d84e66373f03e7e3dab3e.jpg

Watched DW take off for work and return for the last time - She retired today on her birthday. She says she is going to follow me around all day from now on. My life as I know it will never be the same.

I know a couple like that in real life. She is like velcro. Poor sap has no private time at all. She knows how to drive, yet insists he drive her everywhere and sits around while she does her thing.

They have only been married 40 years.

Wish you luck.

tomorrow loads of DG and sand arrive to form the new base. DH, sons, and I will be the labor to spread and compact it.

Friday the pavers arrive. Same labor arrangement - DH, sons, and I will lay the pavers...

This reminds me of the brick patio I laid in the backyard of my former home 30 years ago. It was perhaps 15'x15'. Handling those bricks wore out the skin of my fingertips, so we used leather gloves. Wore holes in them too. :p

PS. Just now, thought of using Google Earth to see if it's still there. Zooming in, I saw that they used the patio as a base and put a shed over it.

Last edited:
Gym day, spent a hour or so shooting photos in the basement. Most turned out to be throwaways because I forgot to light the background reflector enough and it came out gray instead of white.

Do-over is tomorrow.

I know a couple like that in real life. She is like velcro. Poor sap has no private time at all. She knows how to drive, yet insists he drive her everywhere and sits around while she does her thing.

They have only been married 40 years.

Wish you luck.

Thanks. DW ventured out on her own today for the first time as a retired person - for a hair appointment. No way I was going there with her.

Besides, I need to finish up my nephew's table in the workshop this week before his relatives come for a visit. DW does not stick to me when I'm out there.

I just got back from picking up my car, which now has a new timing belt and tires.

Boy. Good thing I like it - that bill was serious!

On a car with interference engine the timing belt is the cheap service. Broken timing belt=bent parts in engine=scrap metal value.

Got a tooth pulled... back molar, so it's not critical or cosmetic issue... served me well for 50+ years!

Got a tooth pulled... back molar, so it's not critical or cosmetic issue... served me well for 50+ years!
That happened to me a few years ago. So far, it's the only one.

Losing one is not bad, but keep that up and I will have to chew with front teeth. :nonono: Been thinking about an implant, but I am lazy.

Packing up the truck camper. Took a break for the World Cup..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Have spent most of Monday and today hanging sheetrock in the 16 x 24 attic loft of our new garage. I forgot how much I dislike hanging sheetrock. Just part of one wall left and the bathroom and stairway.

Mounted, matted, and framed a photo for the dining room. DW likes it because the cherry wood frame matches the furniture and the darker pink in the flower matches the curtains.

The frame came with acrylic glazing, but that was it.

It took almost all day because I was doing stupid stuff with fractions, ruined three mat boards, and finally found a bit of shareware to do the math for me. (Yeah, sometimes I'm math-challenged.) It's rare anymore that I'll download/install shareware but this was approved by multiple malware sites and it's been around "forever". It's called Matworks if anyone else is interested. I will definitely send that guy a donation!

Attachments

• Framing_job-1.jpg
    Framing_job-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Framing_job-2.jpg
    Framing_job-2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Framing_job-3.jpg
    Framing_job-3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 36
Very elegant, Walt! I have two pictures in very similar frames and I love cherry wood. I have taken no photos good enough to frame and hang, except for an adorable one of a friend's daughter with her Dad that I took years ago and framed as a gift to the family. (They loved it).

Another very lovely picture, Walt.

Entertainment books were on sale for $6 so I bought 6, some local and some where we plan to travel to this year. We went out for Thai food for lunch today with one of the coupons. We also went for a morning and evening walk in the open space and did a few errands. The local grocery store had grass fed beef and wine on sale for half price so I stocked up.

Baked Irish Soda Bread on the BBQ for breakfast. Went into town for water and groceries. Had ongoing water fight with son all day, water balloons, water gun, garden hose, buckets of water - great fun even if we are old enough 62 and 32 to know better. Survived the heat, enjoyed the cool evening breeze, looked at the moon through a scope, temporarily lost cat while he was out for his walk when a dog startled him and he slipped out of his harness. Black cat hard to find in the dark. Sat and called him, no luck, stood up, turned around and he was lying peacefully on the deck behind me. Loving our new summer life at the cabin - best thing we have ever done.

Baked Irish Soda Bread on the BBQ for breakfast. Went into town for water and groceries. Had ongoing water fight with son all day, water balloons, water gun, garden hose, buckets of water - great fun even if we are old enough 62 and 32 to know better. Survived the heat, enjoyed the cool evening breeze, looked at the moon through a scope, temporarily lost cat while he was out for his walk when a dog startled him and he slipped out of his harness. Black cat hard to find in the dark. Sat and called him, no luck, stood up, turned around and he was lying peacefully on the deck behind me. Loving our new summer life at the cabin - best thing we have ever done.

Sounds like great craic! Did you buy the boat?

You know we are less than 2 hours' drive apart. It's been hot here and will be very hot this weekend. Hopefully no forest fires!

Today is a Banner Day for me. I got my first Social Security direct deposit, of over $1147, in my checking account and completely by surprise! I had no idea if I even qualified for divorced spousal benefits but applied anyway and was looking into it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...the-social-security-administration-72781.html

And here I was worried about spending $116 last week on a bunch of t-shirts with funny saying on them, to wear to the gym... :D

I have been down in the valley the last few days, because I needed to take my wife to the airport and to do some yard and pool maintenance work due to a dust and wind storm last week.

I just came back from a run to the library. Man, it feels so hot, yet the temperature is supposedly only 100F. How can that be? How will I be able to survive when it hits 120F as it did in the past? If I do not escape from this heat, will I become part of the statistics you read about when there's power outage and people drop like flies from lack of A/C? I used to drive a car with no A/C or a really puny one in my early 20s. Man, I am getting old, really really old.

Today is a Banner Day for me. I got my first Social Security direct deposit, of over $1147, in my checking account and completely by surprise! I had no idea if I even qualified for divorced spousal benefits but applied anyway and was looking into it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...the-social-security-administration-72781.html

And here I was worried about spending $116 last week on a bunch of t-shirts with funny saying on them, to wear to the gym... :D

That deposit is plenty for a new formal attire to go to Commander's Palace for a celebration dinner with Frank. Oh, to pay for the dinner too, with left-over for many hours of Amazon shopping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom