what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are still wandering around Nova Scotia, and will not get back to the States until fall colors arrive in New England.

So, next week, then?

Took a Maine vacation a number of years ago. Got there on the Saturday after Labor Day. Nice little place, but no heat except for a wood stove. There was frost on the ground every morning.

Watched these guys. Hope this displays properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Something grazing behind the trees?

I got interviewed by the city newspaper! But the story won't be published until October.

Something grazing behind the trees?

Thats what I was afraid of. Seven Elk, on my phone I can zoom in and see them. You might spot a bull on the right hand side, his rack is mixed in the tree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

So, next week, then?

Took a Maine vacation a number of years ago. Got there on the Saturday after Labor Day. Nice little place, but no heat except for a wood stove. There was frost on the ground every morning.

There are a few places in Nova Scotia I still need to visit, so am planning on returning to Maine by the end of the month, or in about 2 weeks.

You scared me into thinking I may miss the fall foliage, but a quick look on the Web showed that I still have a bit of time. It will be the 3rd time we enjoy the fall colors of New England.

Last edited:
Day 1 of darkroom construction in my niece's basement. Built walls, rough electrical and hung half the drywall for the room. Hoisting drywall can be quite a workout for an old guy.

not a great pic, but it was a great day on the boat...

Attachments

• 10676112_10203599343002945_2678862594900363710_n.jpg
    10676112_10203599343002945_2678862594900363710_n.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 13
Did my morning walk at the beach this morning... first morning in 2 weeks it wasn't muggy and hot and sweaty at 7am. Thank goodness the heat seems to have broken.

Surfers were out in force and the waves were big. Saw some spectacular surfing acrobatics... then saw a pod of dolphins cruise through the surfers... must have been 9 or 10 of them... literally cutting in and around the surfers on their boards.

It's a good way to start the day.

Last edited:
Shocked.

Yesterday around 4 PM odered some stuff from REI. At 3:30PM today UPS rings doorbell. The stuff arrived. Free deleivery no less.

Don't keep us in suspense!
Are you going to renew your subscription or not?
:cool:
Never had a subscription, and I've lived here since 1982! They took pictures of me and everything, but since my FIL gets the paper, I'll be able to clip a copy. The article is about navigating the traps set by the health insurance companies. Unfortunately, my example is what NOT to do!

Busy day, started at 4 am, got up with DW and had coffee watched the news and morning business reports, made lunch for DW for today and tomorrow, took a nice hot bath to get my day started, took one dog to doggy daycare and the other one to the vet to get checked out and scheduled for knee surgery Monday. Went food shopping, had breakfast, and then unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded and ran it, picked up tire from rim repair shop (curb checking damage), and installed it back on the car, took the other front tire off to have it fixed to (dam curbs), took another bath because I got pretty dirty, cleaned the last two bathrooms, and then had lunch. Took a nap, and plans for this evening are pick up dog from doggy daycare, a town meeting to discuss speeding in the subdivision and then dinner with DW. Pretty much my day and then I get to start all over again tomorrow, so much stuff to do and so little time.

Edited to add, answered emails, read blogs, though of Mom on her birthday, made arrangements with ex-boss to meet to inventory IT equipment for business shutdown coming up (still doing about 10 hours/month for them until they close out (billing big time for it too)).

Last edited:
Went furniture shopping with DW, her nephew's wife, and their two girls, ages 4 and 8. I was just the truck driver in case they bought something which eventually, after hitting four stores, they finally did at Ikea. Two dressers for the girls. Oh, and the purchase went on my credit card.

It's a birthday present for the girls whose birthdays are in October and November.

My feet are tired. But actually I enjoyed it. The little ones are fun to be around.

On my two story house, I painted the shutters. And lived.

Started trimming lower branches off white spruce trees we planted 20 years ago, the 24 foot wide fire lane was getting so I had trouble getting my tractor through without pushing branches out of the way. Two or three hours of that a couple of days a week will easily take several months to complete. Cutting them by hand with a Swede saw; no need for a gym membership :LOL:

Took a break and went on a 100 mile motorcycle ride. Knees hurt like hell when I got home, daily Naproxen only goes so far to relieve that ache.

Started to finish winterizing my boat. Took a couple hoses off and wa about to pur in the RV antifreeze when I discovered that they were still in the car that DW took for the afternoon! :facepalm: Ah... manana.

Moved my Mom's boat in front of her garage that it will go in once I winterize that one. Then moved my boat to a spot in a corner of Mom's yard where it will sit for the winter. I'll need to finish winterizing it then build a sturdy frame and tarp it but no hurry for that.

Finished disassembling a couple dock sections that I took out of the water the other day and put them away. I'm keeping the pontoon boat and a few sections of dock in for foliage season.

Then put a temporary railing along the stairway up to DW's she-cave (the bonus room over our garage). DW's having some ladies over next week for a quilt club meeting in the she-cave.

How in the world did I ever find time to work? :D

Hiked 5 miles with camera and tripod looking for wildlife-found little. Defoliated container plantings and stored containers for winter. Watched sealcoating company seal the driveway. Went grocery shopping and to MIL's for cookies.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

I finished installing a heater on my little Kubota tractor. I use it a lot in the winter to move snow and last year I froze my butt off. I made the heater out of a new car heater core that I bought at the metal recycler for $1, a fan from an RV stove vent, a VW coolant pump (actually new!) and some plywood. It appears that it will work well, as it throws off plenty of heat. So, with the $75 I have in the canvas golf cart cab, I've got about $150 invested in this endeavor.

Last week my SO went for some testing prior to having knee surgery . His Ekg showed a slight abnormality so he had a stress test . It showed a 90% blockage of one of his arteries . He has had absolutely no symptoms so it was a total shock . He is now going to have an angiogram with stent placement . We are so glad it was discovered this way and not after he had a heart attack . You just never know what life sends you.

Update ! He also flunked the Cardiac Cath so yesterday he had a three way bypass . He is doing great and has already been moved from ICU to a Cardiac step down unit . He had no symptoms but had 90% blockage of one artery and 100% blockage of two arteries . This has been a crazy month !

Update ! He also flunked the Cardiac Cath so yesterday he had a three way bypass . He is doing great and has already been moved from ICU to a Cardiac step down unit . He had no symptoms but had 90% blockage of one artery and 100% blockage of two arteries . This has been a crazy month !

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear your SO is doing great now. That must have all been pretty scary at the time.

Half-marathon this morning. As always, it feels so good when it's over.

This was a special one, though. For the first time ever, DW did it with me. I'm really proud of her, since she was a couch potato just a few years ago. She has been doing 10-Ks, and working her way up to the longer distance

We each have another half planned for the Oct/Nov timeframe, separately, then we'll do another one together in December.

Awesome Braumeister! My goal is to do several half marathons during the course of 2015. Been slowly ramping up my running after a several year hiatus. So far, my knees feel great! *fingers crossed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom