what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronstar - That looks great. I hope to have more time for crafty stuff as we get all our pent up house projects tackled.

Today we are getting major service done on one of the cars and working on day two of declutttering the garage, which will probably take many days to fully finish.

Then visiting BIL in hospital who is awaiting a heart transplant (scary stuff). he just made the "list".

Sending good thoughts to your BIL. FWIW, an acquaintance who looked like death warmed over for about 6 months prior to his heart transplant now looks, acts, and feels 10 years younger. Hope the same for your BIL.

A few days ago DW said she wanted to go down to the creek and find decorative rocks for the plants around the house. She pointed at one of the neighbor's and said "sort of like that".

So today I carried a rock the size of a small bucket up the steep hill from the creek. It was not fun. She wants to do it again.:(

My neighbor up in my high-country home took quite a bit of rock from my lot for decoration. When I found out, I got a bit upset. He could have asked me first. In which case, I would have said "NO!".

I had plans for those rocks, and he thought I was just letting those rocks "go to waste". But he apologized, and I did not demand those rocks back, and let it slide.

You see, he is also a good friend (otherwise, that is), and I need him to be watching my place when I am not there.

Well, DW did point out (several times, she knows my soft spots) that it was being frugal.

Sending good thoughts to your BIL. FWIW, an acquaintance who looked like death warmed over for about 6 months prior to his heart transplant now looks, acts, and feels 10 years younger. Hope the same for your BIL.

Thanks, much appreciated....he is 74 and has had a failing heart for a long time. He's on his second pacemaker and now has a special liquid medicine (I'm not sure of the name) being injected into his heart on a constant basis. Dr's gave him 3 months tops. My DW is very close to him so it's been a trying time around here.

But Houston has some of the best heart doctors and facilities in the U.S. so he is in a good spot.

........So today I carried a rock the size of a small bucket up the steep hill from the creek. It was not fun. She wants to do it again.:(

Walt, Can't you use a wheelbarrow or hand truck to move the rocks? I've moved a lot of rock building dry stack walls and waterfalls. Some areas where the creek embankments are steep I strap a 5 gallon bucket to a hand truck to move the rocks.

I figured that since I'm now down to 14 wo+k days, I should remove my contact information from the global email address list and put in a service ticket to delete my IT account... :)

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Walt, Can't you use a wheelbarrow or hand truck to move the rocks?

I gave away the wheelbarrow last year after realizing that I hadn't used it for at least 20 years. And for some reason I didn't think of the hand truck.:facepalm:

Another good day with the market. My stock portion went up 1.95%, compared to the S&P 1.19%. My wife's 401k MFs will not report for another 3 hours.

It's about time. My portfolio has been going down more than the S&P, and while I am not going to share its value ;), I will say that it's still more than $100K below its top.

My assortment of stocks/MFs had been showing quite decent volatility relative to the S&P, but the recent market bout hurt international stocks more than the US ones. US stocks had been outperforming, yet went down less. Life is never fair.

Last edited:
I'm watching Game 7 of the World Series and decided to log on and read some posts while the sportscasters are babbling in between batters and the commercials are running. Very exciting game!

I'm happily awaiting my very first FERS pension check due to be deposited in my bank account on Nov 1st. :dance:

OPM cranked my application right through the system. It was a relatively easy one to process versus the traditional retiree who would have FEGLI, FEHB, and survivor benefit things to set up.

I think I will take my first pension payment and donate it to charity, something educational or a local Feed the Vets program. That idea just plain makes me feel good. I've had a lot of good things happen to me to get me to where I was able to go to college on scholarship and financial aid, so it seems like the right thing to do to "pass it forward". :D

The subsequent payments will be invested. There is always room for improvement in the amount I have for the long haul. I'm 56 so there are many years to go until the daisies get pushed. :cool:

Well, back to the game...

Had another Italian test today. I hope I did as well on this one as the previous - but there was one section that I might have blown. Might get a B instead of an A. (I study hard so I'm confident of at least a B).

Later I worked with my son as he cranked out another robot mission for his FLL competition on 11/8. This makes 5 of the past 6 days spent coaching robotics.

I'm happily awaiting my very first FERS pension check due to be deposited in my bank account on Nov 1st. :dance:

OPM cranked my application right through the system. It was a relatively easy one to process versus the traditional retiree who would have FEGLI, FEHB, and survivor benefit things to set up.

I think I will take my first pension payment and donate it to charity, something educational or a local Feed the Vets program. That idea just plain makes me feel good. I've had a lot of good things happen to me to get me to where I was able to go to college on scholarship and financial aid, so it seems like the right thing to do to "pass it forward". :D

Freebird - What a great way to celebrate your first FERS pension payment. I'm sure the charity you choose will be honored by your gesture.

Freebird - What a great way to celebrate your first FERS pension payment. I'm sure the charity you choose will be honored by your gesture.
:D

I have some other things up my sleeve to help others in need. I just need to get some dividends off my invested pension check over the next year and figure out who gets the proceeds.

I can't take it with me, after all. :cool:

I'll use the pension check to build principal and give away the dividends once I have reached the target principal I have in mind.

I live in an economically depressed area. There are so many good causes out there, it's tough to decide.
I will limit the recipients to those who need a helping hand, not a handout.

:D

I have some other things up my sleeve to help others in need. I just need to get some dividends off my invested pension check over the next year and figure out who gets the proceeds.

I can't take it with me, after all. :cool:

I'll use the pension check to build principal and give away the dividends once I have reached the target principal I have in mind.

I live in an economically depressed area. There are so many good causes out there, it's tough to decide.
I will limit the recipients to those who need a helping hand, not a handout.

You are a good citizen, Freebird! :flowers:

Freebird. I love your ideas about using the dividends for charity.

Freebird. I love your ideas about using the dividends for charity.

You are a good citizen, Freebird! :flowers:

Thanks folks.

I was brought up in a family where money was very tight. Several people I knew helped me by hiring me for odd jobs, mother's helper, and whatever it took to help me achieve my dream of going to college.

Now it's MY turn. :D

Gym and grocery store, bought the fixin's for another pot of beef stew. That will cook overnight and be ready in time for breakfast. Yum! Tomorrow is forecast to be cold so we'll need it.

Saw the movie John Wick due to the high 80's approval on Rotten Tomato's. What a terrible movie. Non stop stupid killing, no plot, and just boring. How can they put out movies like that? What a waste of time.

Frank and I went to lunch and then spent the afternoon sitting in a laundromat, washing/drying my comforter. My older washer isn't big enough to wash it at home.

He brought his Kindle, and I brought my 3DS XL gaming console, and the time passed quickly. Patience is.

Mainly errands today. Took two broken monitors to Staples to be recycled, donated some of the garage decluttering stuff to Goodwill, went to the bank, hardware and grocery store.

I used to have a free business checking account at the local bank. Somewhere along the line they started charging me $15 a month service charge. Today I checked their site and they put a charge on my checking account type and then offered a new kind of business checking with no charge. Sneaky! So I went and changed to to the new account type with no fee again.

Speaking of free checking, JP Morgan Chase gives free checking accounts to Veterans. I've had mine for years. No charge for anything including bill pay.

Yesterday, for the first time in many years, I bought a new toilet seat. I haven't been doing that many exciting things lately, and as many of my Facebook friends post about all the exciting things they do, and all the beautiful people they are hanging out with, I thought I would tell them all that I bought a toilet seat. This is what I just posted on Facebook -

"There's something that I'd like to share with you, and that is the fact that yesterday, I bought a toilet seat. It has been many years since I last bought a toilet seat. In fact I don't, as a rule, make a habit of buying toilet seats. It's not that I have any particular aversion to them, or to the idea of acquiring them. It's just that unless you're a building contractor, it's not very often in a person's lifetime that the need, or even desire, to head out to the hardware store and purchase a toilet seat occurs. It just doesn't happen that often and as such, is a rare experience in the lifetime of most of us.

Yesterday was all about toilet seats for me. I've been thinking for a while that I needed a new one, as the one that was currently fixed to my very old toilet in this very old house left much to be desired, and was the cause of some embarrassment to me when guests, particularly female ones (who tend to me more particular about where they park their derrieres), visited. Like most necessary household tasks, I kept putting this one off until today, when I thought to myself, "How hard can this be? I'll go to Home Depot, buy a toilet seat, come home with it, and put it on! It'll be over in a jiffy!

Which is what I did. I did actually make the mistake of buying the wrong size, an act that necessitated my returning in order to purchase the correct size. It had never occurred to me that my bowl was round instead of elongated. The things you learn.........

On arriving at Home Depot, with a strong sense of purpose, I made my way to aisle 35, where all the available seats were stacked on shelves, each one with a display model bolted to the front of the shelf. There are two sizes of seat - round, and elongated, and several different materials. The very cheapest are the enameled wood models, which you can buy for as little as $5.47 + tax. This was the same type as my existing seat, and when the enamel wears off, the wood starts soaking up any moisture and, well, mine, which looked to be about 300 years old, was in a shameful state. Shameful. For $6, I should have replaced it long ago.

Then there are the soft squishy toilet seats - the ones covered in a soft and pliable plastic with an artificial "grain". They make me shudder. I don't know about you, but the idea of attempting to make the act of sitting on the toilet an enjoyable, even pleasurable one, offends me slightly. Perhaps it has something to do with my being English, or Catholic, or both, but at a very basic level, it doesn't seem right. God-fearing Christians don't sit on warm and squishy seats when conducting their business. Perching on the loo should, in my estimation, be a relatively spartan experience, achieved through the use of a hard wooden or plastic seat, and nothing more. Obviously, this type of near-sinful seat was out of the question for me (and besides, the grainy plastic finish seems a little unhygienic).

I decided on a hard plastic one for a number of reasons which I won't bore you with here, as I have already bored you enough.There were several different grades of hard plastic seat. For around $8, you could purchase a very basic and lightweight model. It was OK, but seemed just a little bit flighty and insubstantial. When I do my business, I want to do it on a seat that means business, and not on the cheap lightweight model. Next, made of a thicker and slightly heavier plastic, was the serviceable and dependable $20 seat. It was the one I would finally decide on, but not before I had flirted with the idea of the luxurious $35 plastic seat, manufactured with a very dense plastic that reeked of solidity and quiet, self-assured permanence. It was hard plastic, yet in it's unflinching way, spelled uncompromising luxury of the sensible kind. I wanted this seat, but $35 seemed to be a bit much to spend just so that I could sit on the toilet. I am not a frivolous person, so I denied myself this seat.

Then I saw it. For $50, there was a seat that took 4 x AA batteries and was lit up by blue LED's. It had a dual light. When the seat was down, the blue "guide light" was active. It was controlled by a timer (set by the user) so that it was turned on all night. Then, when you lifted the lid, it switched over to a white "task light". On finishing your duties and putting the lid down again, the white light switched back to the mode where the rim was highlighted once again by blue LED light. Such decadence! Such bravery in toilet seat design! For a few heady seconds, I toyed with the idea of foolishly splurging $50 on this seat for the sheer novelty of having a lighted seat on which to perform my private duties. I mean, I don't own a car, so my potential for impressing women is severely limited. Perhaps, if I owned this lighted seat, females would swoon on seeing their bottoms bathed in blue light from the LED's powered by 4 x AA batteries. I may be about to turn 51, but it might not be too late to grasp just a few more years of swinging bachelor living from the looming jaws of impending old age.........

But of course, I decided on the solid and sensible $20 hard plastic model. It might not be exciting but really, excitement is not what you are looking for when visiting the smallest room. There is one bonus to the one I finally decided on, and that is that it is a "slow-close" model. The lid closes in a very slow and controlled fashion so as to avoid loud and awkward thunks in the middle of the night. Sprout, my 2 1/2 year-old kitty is absolutely fascinated with it. It's quite a joy to watch her little bottom wiggling from side to side like a tennis player about to serve, as she fixes her gaze on the seat when it closes oh-so-very-slowly, and prepares to pounce. Seeing her so tantalized by my new toilet seat in this fashion gives me a pleasure far greater than anything a flashy executive seat with a blue lighted rim could possibly offer.

Many of my Facebook friends seem to be doing terribly exciting things. As you post pictures taken in foreign countries and exotic locales, images of the wonderful food you are eating in trendy and hip restaurants, and details of all the beautiful, creative, talented and lovely people you are hanging out with, just spare a thought for me. However unique, creative, and enviable your experience that you posted about on Facebook was today, I bet you didn't do what I did yesterday.

Because yesterday, I bought a sensible and very serviceable toilet seat."

OMG Major T, that is hilarious! If we had a budget you can be sure we would immediately add a "toilet seat replacement" line to it and delete the entire "travel" line. You will have to update your toiletseatbuying journal when you get a review from a derriere or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom