what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm hearing, that it is not all that uncommon. The scary part is the increased risk of stroke. That part I do not like at all.

Strokes are awful. My dear oldest brother, Bob, had several over ten years ago that left him physically and mentally disabled, and needing to be in a care facility ever since. :( So do whatever they tell you to do in order to avoid a stroke. Here are 8 ways to prevent strokes. You are doing most of them, AFAIK.

1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lose weight
3. Exercise more
4. Drink, in moderation
5. Take a baby aspirin
6. Treat atrial fibrillation
7. Treat diabetes
8. Quit smoking

8 Things you can do to prevent a stroke - Harvard Health Publications

Strokes are awful. My dear oldest brother, Bob, had several over ten years ago that left him physically and mentally disabled, and needing to be in a care facility ever since. :( So do whatever they tell you to do in order to avoid a stroke. Here are 8 ways to prevent strokes. You are doing most of them, AFAIK.

1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lose weight
3. Exercise more
4. Drink, in moderation
5. Take a baby aspirin
6. Treat atrial fibrillation
7. Treat diabetes
8. Quit smoking

8 Things you can do to prevent a stroke - Harvard Health Publications

I've done/am doing all of those except the baby aspirin. Doc said don't do those on top of what I'm already taking for prescriptions.

And sadly, sniff, sniff, I listed my motorcycle for sale on Craigslist. With the anticoagulants ("blood thinners") I'm on in an effort to prevent a stroke, a minor spill that would ordinarily be bumps & bruises could easily turn to fatal hemorrhaging. Had that discussion with the doc too.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and somebody else will get a good bike at a good price. And if I ever get off these prescriptions I can always get another bike.

Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other [-]idiots[/-] drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.

Took advantage of the cooler weather to walk 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Lucky for me, most people around here don't play golf when it gets down to 45 degrees.

DW and some of her friends were off on "girls day out" I took advantage and did nothing useful. The previous three days was at the mancave winterizing, and otherwise goofing off. Tomorrow going figure skating.

Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other [-]idiots[/-] drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.

Walt, giving up the bike is a big change for you. The wife of a biker, I have a LOT of admiration for you and your thoughtfulness toward your wife and others.

Lunch out with mom at a diner. Took her to register her car. Mom's almost 85 & I finally convinced her to stop driving a few months sgo. Mom has dementia that is now getting noticeably worse. Her granddaughter is driving the car now. Later, dinner out with mom, one of my daughters, & my granddaughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Spent the day with my 4 1/2 yr-old grandson......just me and him. His dad dropped him off on his way to work, and his grandma (DW) had to work today also. Lots of fun, but pretty exhausting for an old guy like me :). Hard to get him to come inside, as he loves to be outside, even with all the snow we have now. Luckily, he did take a nap for a little while this afternoon.

My husband decided to tag along with me on my morning beach walk with the dog. Lousy surf... but the paddle boarders and kayakers seemed happy, even if the surfers weren't.

Later had lunch at our neighborhood Italian joint.

In between I cleaned bathrooms and started some decluttering.

418160_10150828758142925_530965177_n.jpg

1998? - 2014

Sorry to hear this Khan.

I'm not RE yet, but I'm counting down. I enjoy reading the posts here, and dreaming about what my days will look like in a few months.

I'm working from home today, but only 4 hours. Right now I am sitting in my kitchen still in my pj's, working on a technical report. Later I will head out to a local park for a long run (in daylight -- woo hoo!).

With the vacation time that I have to use or lose for 2014, I will be taking every Friday off for the rest of the year. It was striking to me how relaxed I was last night, knowing that I did not have to get up early today to make the one-hour commute to the lab. I could get used to that feeling. :)

Walt, giving up the bike is a big change for you. The wife of a biker, I have a LOT of admiration for you and your thoughtfulness toward your wife and others.

+1.

Some of us really do worry ourselves sick over risks our spouses take - so thoughtful of you indeed!

Good decision to give up the bike, Walt. A buddy of mine died on his bike - not from a wreck, but from a heart attack and then wreck. Take the proceeds from the bike sale and buy a bunch of camera gear, maybe a d800 or d4s.

My BILs heart transplan this week!

Not necessarily a "today event", although it was a milestone kind of day Wednesday.

DW and BIL's wife stayed at the hospital all this week while BIL got his new heart transplant. The young donor, who was between 18 - 30 years old and brain-dead, was flown in to Houston at 10PM (Tuesday) for organ harvesting and the heart became available by 2:00 am Wednesday morning. It was put in in BIL at 4:30 am. All was good Thursday as BIL was awake and chatting with doctors, nurses, his DW and my DW. He is scheduled to be up walking today.

I was home watching the dog, etc. while this was going on.

We have BIL's 75th birthday party set for Saturday at the hospital. Two of his sons are making the trip in. He seems fine but has some pain in his chest and sides (not the heart, though). Amazing procedure as the surgeon e-mailed his wife a short video clip of the new heart installed and beating before he closed up the cavity.

According to DW, there were about a 1/2 dozen people in the IC ward who received new hearts within the last two weeks.

Not necessarily a "today event", although it was a milestone kind of day Wednesday.

Wow, that sure is! So happy for you that all seems to be going well.

Take the proceeds from the bike sale and buy a bunch of camera gear, maybe a d800 or d4s.

I like that line of thought...:LOL:

Smart move, plus why take a chance on wrecking the bike...lol Hope you are feeling well.
Weird, I hit the "multi quote" button and it didn't copy the other posts. Tried twice and copied different posts each time. Anyway....

MartyB, You are a good son to your Mom.

AJA, Hope all is going well with your bil.

My sympathies Walt on giving up the bike. Yet a good move. I gave up mine a few years ago, no personal health issue, but a pending one when nearly run down by some bimbo in an suv yapping on a cellphone. I escaped, next day bike was on craigslist.

In other news, got my mugshot taken for drivers license renewal with veteran status shown, Good for four more years.

Discovered that PA motor vehicles department uses facial recognition software to check everyone out. I suspect that PA's database is also tied in with the rest of the big brothers databases.

My sympathies Walt on giving up the bike. Yet a good move. I gave up mine a few years ago, no personal health issue, but a pending one when nearly run down by some bimbo in an suv yapping on a cellphone. I escaped, next day bike was on craigslist..

Those other people on the road are the reason I no longer ride with DH. I will probably never ask him to sell his bike, but I'll sure be glad when he decides to do so.

A fella I flew with for years was killed on his bike less than a year after he retired from the AF...he was 42 years old with a couple of kids still living at home.

The woman who ran into him was texting at the time although she tried to deny it initially.

I'd love the adrenaline rush of a bike but it's just not worth the risk.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom