what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some stuff that I priced very fairly and when they offer me a lower price I just tell them that my asking price is a very fair price and then silence. If they still want a discount then I tell then that my price is a good deal and if they don't want it at that price then I am sure that someone will come along that will. Most of the time they concede to my asking price because they know it is a good deal but they're just looking to get it cheap. It helps that in most cases I really don't much care if it sells or if I take it to Goodwill.

This is actually what I did, but it was awkward. Especially because the guy actually buying didn't speak English and was about 75 years old. His son translated...hmmm I wonder what he really said....:cool:

I am on day 3 of doing a very simple thing...I am forcing myself to have something for breakfast. I usually skip eating at all until noon or so.
My new breakfast regime is fruit and yogurt smoothies. Yesterday was peach, today was strawberry banana. I'm using Chobani Greek style yogurt, which has very high protein and calcium compared to regular yogurt. I use canned fruit or fresh for the fiber and nutrients. I will buy more fresh fruit, slice it and freeze it to minimize the canned version calories.

I had been drinking a lot of these smoothies as a meal substitute during my recent tooth extraction episodes. I am still 5 lbs lighter.

Hmmm...sometimes we overlook the obvious. :cool:

This habit change is a result of a book I am reading "Why Isn't My Brain Working ?" to figure out some of the menopausal issues I've been having due to unrestful sleep and daytime energy drags and mood oscillations.

So far so good. :D

Last edited:
We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.

Added more soil to the new raised beds I put together last fall. The garlic I planted in October is about 6-8 inches high and the onions planted 3 weeks ago have come up. I planted pole beans spinach 3 weeks ago and lettuce mix 4 days ago indoors. The beans are a foot tall, the spinach is two inches tall. The lettuce mix is for a container, to add baby greens to my salad, and it has already fully sprouted! I also bought an artichoke plant and a rosemary plant. The rosemary will get planted tomorrow when it isn't so hot. The artichoke plant will go outside soon. I grew an artichoke plant about 5 years ago. Got several artichokes, not very many, but it also made a interesting ornamental plant by the side of my house, where it grew to be five feet tall. The plants generally don't survive our winters, but it did survive one mild winter and produced for two years before I neglected it and killed it.

We opened the pool on Wednesday. Heated it yesterday. Today I go for my first swim, since it will be 80 degrees this afternoon. Last year I got in the pool maybe a dozen times. I hope to get in a dozen times in the next two weeks. I could get used to this.

I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.

+1
We learned about this product about a year ago, and now won't use anything else. It's so superior to Windex or anything else that there is really no contest.

We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.

Thanks for the review of this product. I see that Home Depot carries it so plan to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

We finished cleaning the windows and putting up the screens this week. We noticed horrible streaks with regular window cleaner and got annoyed. We were running out anyway. I bought something called Invisible Glass from a local auto store (not all stores have it). It's alcohol based, no smell. It is...amazing. Cleans every smudge. Used it on my car windows and mirrors too.....

I've been doing windows this week as well. I have used automotive windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle instead of Windex for years and it works fine.

Today DW was gone so I got the trash and recycling organized, got the great room and master bedroom ready for Roomba, got the old Roomba going in the bedroom and the new one in the great room, went and did trash and recycling and some errands and the rooms were all swept when I got back.

I stopped at the ATM next to a small grocery store as part of my errands and our House representative walked up and introduced himself to me and his assistant took a picture of us and will mail it to me. Not sure what I'll do with it as I've never voted for the guy. :facepalm: I was actually going to pass on the picture but I didn't want to be rude and there were a few other people around.

got the great room and master bedroom ready for Roomba, got the old Roomba going in the bedroom and the new one in the great room

I take it you like them since you have two? I think I am going to get a couple of robotic floor cleaners, too. I was kind of overwhelmed at all the choices these days on Amazon between the various brands, and functions - floor scrubber, floor mopper, vacuum so I've bought nothing so far.

We have had the older Roomba for over 10 years. We used it and then it broke and sat in a box for many years and I found the box after I had retired and had the time to order the parts, fix it and we have used it for the last 18 months or so.

The new one we got last Monday and have used twice. DD has Costco membership and we went with her to Costco to buy a tv and ended up with a tv, a wall mount and a Roomba. The new one is quieter, has a larger dust bin, seems to do a better sweeping job and returns to it base unit when it is done its work.

I think of these units as good to do sweeping in between vacuuming. The thing I like about them is I can spend 5 minutes prepping the rooms, get them going, go for a walk or run some errands and then spend 5 minutes putting things back when I return and I'm done. Vacuuming takes much longer but does do a better cleaning job, but most of our floor surfaces are hard (wood, tile) as they do a good job on those.

Vacuuming takes much longer but does do a better cleaning job, but most of our floor surfaces are hard (wood, tile) as they do a good job on those.

Most of our floor surfaces are hard, too, so I think that would work. I hadn't thought to check at Costco. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Most of our floor surfaces are hard, too, so I think that would work. I hadn't thought to check at Costco. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I got a Neato for in between vacuuming. I think it has one of the highest ratings for picking up pet hair. Don't have a pet at this time but getting a new buddy this Summer. Anyway, it does a great job but you don't find out it's short falls until you read the manual. It doesn't tell you on Neato's web site. You need a good size space along a wall for the charger/home base and unit, think it is 3 sq. feet. The thing gets confused on dark surfaces, I have dark brown rug in living room and dark wood floors in dining room. It does come with these strips that you can lay across a doorway so it doesn't go into a certain area. I thought a high marble threshold would stop it but it climbed right over it. It does a great job in all the other rooms. If the battery is getting low, it returns to the charger and after it's recharged it goes back to the spot where it stopped cleaning. You can schedule it to clean a certain times and the menu is easy to operate. Don't know if a Roomba has the same issues. You still have to vacuum but this thing does a pretty good job for in between vacuuming.

Last edited:
The thing I didn't like about my Roomba was I spent as much time cleaning pet hair out of the brush as it would take to vacuum. The pet passed away a couple of years ago, so I will try it again when I get my house built. It should work pretty good in the dusty conditions up here, but I don't know about the small rocks that are tracked in.

And done. After two wonderful and occasionally wacky years, I uploaded the final assignment (creative thesis) for my part time MFA in creative writing. :dance:

It was a blast but I have to ask - what will I do with all the free time that is now cluttering up my calendar?

And done. After two wonderful and occasionally wacky years, I uploaded the final assignment (creative thesis) for my part time MFA in creative writing. :dance:

It was a blast but I have to ask - what will I do with all the free time that is now cluttering up my calendar?

Write a sequel PhD thesis? :facepalm:

I've been updating the Sketchup model and floor plans for my home theater. The room is about 22' x 12' with a 3' wide closet under the stairs and front entry at the screen end of the room. I decided I needed to make the raised floor part go all the way to the back wall, so I have to build the cabinets in the back on top of the raised floor. All that means I have to include the home theater details in the building plans and submit a change order. Hope I don't run into any issues with the County. (The attached picture got squished when I uploaded it.)

Attachments

• Home Theater Perspective.jpg
    Home Theater Perspective.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 32
Today I got around to a spring cleaning task of cleaning the dust bunnies from the gable end of our great room. What a mess! I have a nice 7 point whitetail buck neck mount at that gable end and it was caked with dust bunnies. I also have my first pair of downhill skis, bear-trap bindings and leather laced ski boots mounted in a "V" with the mount in the middle of the "V" and the boots were caked with dust bunnies as well.

It continually amazes me that the ceiling fan that we have running all winter collects so much dust bunnies since it is moving all the time.... how do the fan blades of a moving fan collect dust?

Anyway, that task is done for a while. Then I made a small pot of refrigerator soup for lunch. Cold, rainy, windy day here... it was actually snowing for about 10 minutes while I was cleaning the mount and it accumulated slightly but is all gone now. Enough!

I've been updating the Sketchup model and floor plans for my home theater. The room is about 22' x 12' with a 3' wide closet under the stairs and front entry at the screen end of the room. I decided I needed to make the raised floor part go all the way to the back wall, so I have to build the cabinets in the back on top of the raised floor. All that means I have to include the home theater details in the building plans and submit a change order. Hope I don't run into any issues with the County. (The attached picture got squished when I uploaded it.)

Looks pretty cool. I sometimes have perspective problems with Sketchup. Are your bar seats offset from the big seats? And is the grey area beside the big seats a dropoff? Or just a blank space? No matter, really, looks like a nice place to hang out.

Looks pretty cool. I sometimes have perspective problems with Sketchup. Are your bar seats offset from the big seats? And is the grey area beside the big seats a dropoff? Or just a blank space? No matter, really, looks like a nice place to hang out.

Thanks. There is a wall on the right side (removed in picture) of the room as you are facing the screen.

Thanks. There is a wall on the right side (removed in picture) of the room as you are facing the screen.

Hermit, like the theater layout, nice mix of seating types. What size screen will you have and how far back is the front row of seats? Our theater is is 12'x18' and we have a 106" screen with the front seats about 10' away- we find it to be perfect. Our projector is mounted just over the back of the front row of seats on the ceiling which keeps it out of the way for the space between the rows of the seats.

We would have liked to have put 4 seats across in the front row but with only 12' and needing an aisle, just wouldn't work so we have 3 like you are planning. The middle one is mine! Recliners and cup holders make it the perfect area to doze when the movie lags- my son rates a movie as "two eyes open" if I stay awake through it. We ended up with 2 matching rows of seats and we have a kitchen area in another narrow room behind the theater.

Good luck with your house build, hope your weather improves enough to get some work done!

Hermit, like the theater layout, nice mix of seating types. What size screen will you have and how far back is the front row of seats? Our theater is is 12'x18' and we have a 106" screen with the front seats about 10' away- we find it to be perfect. Our projector is mounted just over the back of the front row of seats on the ceiling which keeps it out of the way for the space between the rows of the seats.

We would have liked to have put 4 seats across in the front row but with only 12' and needing an aisle, just wouldn't work so we have 3 like you are planning. The middle one is mine! Recliners and cup holders make it the perfect area to doze when the movie lags- my son rates a movie as "two eyes open" if I stay awake through it. We ended up with 2 matching rows of seats and we have a kitchen area in another narrow room behind the theater.

Good luck with your house build, hope your weather improves enough to get some work done!
Thanks Dave. Sounds like mine will be set up about the same as yours. I have 9 foot ceiling, so the projector will not be a problem. I was a little worried about the screen being a little too large, but sounds like the size will be good. I will have a little less than 8 feet across for the screen. I am planning on an acoustically transparent screen because I will need to put the speakers behind the screen.

Using theater seats in the middle row allowed 4 seats. I don't think I will have room for four back row stools. I originally wanted a wall across in front of the wet bar area, but there just was not enough room. Putting the wet bar up on the raised floor allowed the third row. The guest room is also in the basement so having the bar stools and table along with a sink and small refrigerator will work nicely for guests.

The day is still young, so I don't yet know what we will do. However, our motorhome made it out of Death Valley, and was facing the Sierra Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom