what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning breakfast with the family - discussed plans for the day. DW going to her zoomba class, DS's going to an outdoor alt-rock concert (after doing chores first, of course).

I made a run to the market - picked up some items for the weekend grilling.

Tonight I'm prepping a big top sirloin with bacon wrapped asparagus, baked potatoes with the works and garlic toast.

The top sirloin was cut fresh while I watched at the butcher counter - thick!

All seasoned and setting up in the fridge now while I do some afternoon gardening before dinner
Top-Sirloin-6-20-15-before.jpg

... DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...
+1

In my experience, the freeway there was not as good as in Nova Scotia which had a lower population density I believe. In our recent trip, even the rural roads in Washington State were fairly good.

Two washers, two dryers? Is it to run a laundromat to offset the 7-figure cost of the house?

I've heard of two dishwashers before but that's a new one on me too. Maybe just to fill what would otherwise be empty space?

I mowed the "back 40" this morning, showered, took a nap, ate lunch, read three pages of a novel, took a nap, read some more, napped, ate some sausage, took a nap, read some more, ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream, took a nap....

I like this retirement gig.

I've heard of two dishwashers before but that's a new one on me too. Maybe just to fill what would otherwise be empty space?

I mowed the "back 40" this morning, showered, took a nap, ate lunch, read three pages of a novel, took a nap, read some more, napped, ate some sausage, took a nap, read some more, ate some mint chocolate chip ice cream, took a nap....

I like this retirement gig.

The sq footage on this house was massive - maybe they were thinking of family, extended family, pets, guests, and servants.
:LOL:

Replaced the rear shocks on my truck (45,000 miles) in an effort to improve the ride a bit for an upcoming RV trip. DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...

I don't know about the interstates, or the rest of Louisiana, but here in New Orleans we have potholes inside our potholes. :)

As one of those folks in LA, I am waiting for my fair share of the interstate repair money. It should be here any day now, or so I have been thinking for decades. Checked my mailbox again, not here yet, oh well... :D

Getting ready for a trip to New England.

Wonder if they'll talk funny up there....:)

Wherever I go, I can still understand people. Mostly.

However, they always think I speak funny.

Only in Boston or Maine.

Us guys from Connecticut don't talk funny. And now I am almost a full fledged Texan....;)
:D

We'll be in Boston for a couple of days as there is a meetup of DH's biker pals. I've met quite a few folks from that forum and they're all great. :)

Wherever I go, I can still understand people. Mostly.

However, they always think I speak funny.
A few years back when I was 'up North', on a couple of occasions people asked me to repeat my statement. They said they understood me, but thought it was cute. Made me feel like I was 2 years old. :blush:

63 mile bike ride. On a road bike rather than a hybrid this time. Much better......:)

Getting ready for a trip to New England.

Wonder if they'll talk funny up there....:)

I was quite surprised on my recent first visit to Scotland that I had absolutely no difficulty with the regional accents. Didn't expect that, but enjoyed it.

Now Yorkshire, on the other hand ...

Yesterday we built a 8'x8' floating dock for our river camp and put it in the water- decided that we need one more float on the ramp to the dock as it tilts a bit too much when we walk to it. Secured to bank with steel cables, we don't have a lot of current where we are. Took the canoe out the other day and scouted out other docks in the area to see what should work as for design. Docks are typically pulled out of the water for winter and seem to be go back in around June.

Our big worry is how much variation there will be in the water levels but our design is similar to most of the others in the area with a hinged ramp, etc. Having said this, the water level was at 3ft (measured by the closest NOAA water level station) when we finished the dock about 3 pm. On the way home, it started raining and we had one of the heaviest storms for a long time, lot of thunder and lightning but not a lot of winds. According to the prediction value on the NOAA site, water was going to rise from 3 ft to 8ft by Sunday afternoon. Just checked the NOAA site again and the prediction is now for a rise to about 5.5 ft so much better. Will go to the camp this morning and see how it looks as the water is up a foot compared to yesterday and we'll hope for the best. I have a winch so could pull the dock back up on the bank but at some point, we have to commit!

IMG_0012-724991.JPG

Hoping for a quiet day today otherwise!

Last edited:
I have been busy busy busy doing the container gardening thing. Enjoying leaf lettuce salads and fresh Chinese pod peas. My tomatoes are forming buds and blossoms to beat the band. I can't wait for the first Sweet 100s to form and ripen.

Mr B continues to study his *** off for his IRS certified agent exam. He is scoring in the 80s now, so his online counselor encouraged him to sign up for the proctored exam. This will be the first of 3 exams, each 3.5 hours long. Argh ! I have to admire his tenacity when he sets an educational goal and goes for it.

Still raining and thunderstorming every other day, making it near impossible to get my boat in. I have until July 1st to get it on the dock or forfeit the space, so Monday or Wednesday next week is looking good. I could probably get a weather extension...who knows ?

All in all life is peaceful, and very predictable. Just the way I like my FIRE. :D

...Tonight I'm prepping a big top sirloin with bacon wrapped asparagus, baked potatoes with the works and garlic toast.....

All seasoned and setting up in the fridge now while I do some afternoon gardening before dinner
Top-Sirloin-6-20-15-before.jpg

We had sirloin last night too. I rubbed it with kosher salt and pepper and then marinated it in plastic bag with a combination of teriyaki marinade, italian salad dressing and balsamic vinaigrette dressing for the afternoon. It was fairly thin (~1 inch) so grilled it on low/medium direct heat and it came out perfect, pink inside and grilled on the outside.

We'll be in Boston for a couple of days as there is a meetup of DH's biker pals. I've met quite a few folks from that forum and they're all great. :)

A few years back when I was 'up North', on a couple of occasions people asked me to repeat my statement. They said they understood me, but thought it was cute. Made me feel like I was 2 years old. :blush:

If you have time for an 80 minute no-stop open sided vehicle tour of the city and a bit of a splash included, I recommend the Duck Boat tour. Your tour vehicle is a “DUCK”, an authentic W.W.II style amphibious landing vehicle.
http://www.bostonducktours.com/the-tour/
The drivers look like a real cast of characters
http://www.bostonducktours.com/ducks/

I took the tour many years ago when I had govt contract manager business there. It was a blast.

As far as the locals go, just tell 'em you're a Red Sox fan and you're golden. :)

Last edited:
We had sirloin last night too. I rubbed it with kosher salt and pepper and then marinated it in plastic bag with a combination of teriyaki marinade, italian salad dressing and balsamic vinaigrette dressing for the afternoon. It was fairly thin (~1 inch) so grilled it on low/medium direct heat and it came out perfect, pink inside and grilled on the outside.

Regarding your posted photo: We have partaken in both of your displayed adult beverages, and commend your selections!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom