what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is starting out strangely. I called Fido to see about rolling out the Roth portion of the 401(k) to my ROTH IRA. They were surprised that I said I was retired. The company was still listing me as an active employee! They can't do anything until the company notifies them that I an no longer an active employee (usually that happens within 2 pay periods, not 3 months after the fact!). Another email to HR (she doesn't like me because I refused to sign the initial release which was draconian and then I had the gall to contact a director who reamed her out for sending it to me!). I figure that this will delay my plans to simplify my accounts (ROTH all in one account, 401(k) in one account DW IRA in one account etc.) by a month or so!

Dentist appointment to fill in a small cavity. One of the few times I've had one filed without Novocaine - there was no pain. Then gym afterwards since it's about half a mile from the dentist's office.

Started cleaning/staining the soffit and fascia on the house and washing the siding/soffit/fascia on my detached garage. This should take most of the month if everything goes well.

Some fierce stomache bug has been wending through our house. Older son was the only one unscathed.... until today. Got the call from school to come get him. Younger son had returned to school after being out several days - and got the call to get him right after I got home from older son's school. Frustrating because traffic was nasty, their schools are close to each other - but 10 miles from here - so that's 40 miles of driving that could have been 20 miles if I could have combo'd the trip.

I have cancelled the robotics team for this weekend since our house is highly contagious. It's challenging to deal with sick kids and sick husband when I'm not feeling 100% either.

Damn you stomach virus.

Sorry to hear about the nasty bug, rodi. I know you do great work with the robotics team so a week off shouldn't affect them much. Hope everyone is healthy again soon!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm in South Beach, FL to meet up with college friends for the weekend. One of them couldn't make it down here so I was going to drive up the coast to have dinner with him. However, my credit card was declined at the car rental place. Someone hacked my card in the last 24 hrs and the bank put a hold on it. I called the bank and they cancelled the card but now I couldn't rent the car. Car rental companies don't take cash.

So I ended up spending the afternoon on the beach. I've been to South Beach 5x before but it's always on the edge of hurricane season so the weather is pretty iffy. Even today, there is a hurricane heading to New England. However, Miami weather was spared. In fact it was the most beautiful beach day I've ever seen here. I rented (with cash) a lounge chair and umbrella and enjoyed the mild temperature and warm ocean water.

Three more college buddies are arriving tomorrow and the weather is supposed to hold like this all weekend

Attachments

• Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 16
I'm in western MD for my 40th high school reunion. Weather is not so nice here - 46 and drizzle. But it's nice to be back. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1443739456.113277.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We are visiting Zion NP. I drove through once as a teen, but DH has never been here. It's just amazing! Here's a photo from today when ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1443747004.342393.jpgwe hiked The Narrows.

I'm in western MD for my 40th high school reunion. Weather is not so nice here - 46 and drizzle. But it's nice to be back.

Better than here in eastern MD. Been raining all day, with constant 30 mph wind, gusting to 45 mph. I don't think the hurricane is going to hit, but it's wicked out there. Went out to bungee down our deck furniture, and came back in looking like I'd been sand blasted. Maybe I was. It's not raining all that hard, but the spray being blown off the bay is hammering us.

Spent the day scrubbing down surfaces with diluted bleach (vs my usual vinegar blend). I *will* get this house free of any norovirus or whatever it was that my husband brought home from his trip. Today was a banner day - no barf by any participants. Hopefully we'll be healthy and happy by the end of the weekend.

Also spent the afternoon (and yesterday all day) listen to car alarms go off every time the Blue Angels passed. At least today (and through the rest of the weekend) the Blue Angel shows will be predictible in time - so we can close windows for the hour they're flying. Yesterday they were doing media runs (taking reporters up) and it was on and off all day.

The downside of living near Miramar.

Another DIY project. Installed a water heater expansion tank today. Took about 3 hours, including building a custom shelf for the tank.

A friend and I joined about 1000 (?) other women in a Jazzercise class on the Midway down in San Diego. It was a fundraiser for Susan G. Komen.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1443913316.113399.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Quiet stay at home Saturday. Some morning chores, quiet breakfast, then prepped the rig for bbq'ing babyback ribs, had college football on all day, watched the Miramar Air Show from the back yard, ribs just about ready now...smells delicious!

Drove the truck with boat trailer to the marina so could get boat out of water for maintenance.
He drove back with boat.

The babyback ribs were a solid "8.5" as family scored (and they are rough on me)

Ribs-10-3-15.jpg

Best pieces were juicy, perfect smoke, tender, rub profile was delicious roll your eyes good.

BBQnut, Those ribs look like a 10 to me. I love ribs but husband doesn't so I don't get them too often.

The babyback ribs were a solid "8.5" as family scored (and they are rough on me)

Ribs-10-3-15.jpg

Best pieces were juicy, perfect smoke, tender, rub profile was delicious roll your eyes good.

Have you ever considered moving to Sarasota , Florida ?:)

From the article: "Banks told officers she was angered when her brother ate her ribs causing them to fight."

Served her brother right. One simply does not mess with his sibling's ribs.

I can see her attorney using this line of defense: "If her brother ate the ribs, you must acquit."

Those look great. Nice looking rub, I'd have given them a 9 at least!

I'll be smoking 4 slabs of ribs today- usually smoke them for 3 hours or so, let them cook at a low temp for another hour or two i the smoker, then in to foil and frozen. We heat them in the oven for about 3 hours at 300 degrees when we're ready for them and they always come out great, falling off the bone tender. Sometimes I add some sauce and put them on the grill for 10 minutes or so if I feel like having a wet sauce instead of the rub.

Yesterday I made hickory syrup from some shagbark hickory bark- turned out well, first time for me. It was perfect on some french toast and a nice change from maple syrup.

Other than smoking ribs, no serious plans for today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom