what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got tires rotated on the 2014 Passat diesel. Ordered cabin and fuel filter for the 20,000 mile service I'm about to do this week.

Wow, 20K miles in one year. Guess I am driving less these days.

If I did not have another car, I would drive to Costco to buy another battery and replace it myself right in its parking lot.

Time: no more than 30 min, but then I am only 3 miles from the nearest Costco.

That's great! You should get a part time job at Sears. :D

We have extended family in town for the holidays so we went to an Italian restaurant for lunch, followed by a walk and then happy hour at Skates on the Bay, a waterfront restaurant with pretty views of the bridges and San Francisco all lit up at night. Some family members hadn't seen each other for many years so it was a special day to all be together.

That's great! You should get a part time job at Sears. :D
Or offer to do the same for other people.

The problem is that I would do it myself rather than wait because I value my time too much, so I would have to charge my customers the same value. They would not pay that much though. :)

I've been looking for a roll top desk for a long time. The antique ones are too expensive and the newer ones are usually made to house a computer system or are made of pressed wood. Finally found a solid oak one about 30 years old for a decent price. Got it set up and moved all my stuff from an old drop front secretary to the new desk.

I know you wanted a rolltop, but you could have had my antique drop front secretary desk for $75. I can't give it away. I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist. Started at $260, now down to $75. I'm moving. Have to do something with it. I also have a beautiful vintage china cabinet no one wants. Down to $90 on that one. Just gave away 2 antique Persian rugs. Horrible market for antiques lately.

I know you wanted a rolltop, but you could have had my antique drop front secretary desk for $75. I can't give it away. I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist. Started at $260, now down to $75. I'm moving. Have to do something with it. I also have a beautiful vintage china cabinet no one wants. Down to $90 on that one. Just gave away 2 antique Persian rugs. Horrible market for antiques lately.
I was using a very plain antique drop front secretary that I have had since 1969 when I found it in the basement of an old duplex that I had an apartment in. The duplex's owner gave it to me. I can't find anyone who wants it either.

Sunday, got up before dawn, drove 2 hours to take a day-long course from a master glass artist. Well worth the $200.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Monday, took the car to the mechanics--AGAIN--to repair rodent - damaged wires.

Then we went to our NEXUS interview (we passed). When we get the cards, we get special TSA status when boarding planes and re-entering the US by any means.

Then we went to our NEXUS interview (we passed). When we get the cards, we get special TSA status when boarding planes and re-entering the US by any means.

The NEXUS card is the bomb. All the benefits of Global Entry at half the price.

If you haven't had the iris scan yet, I would recommend it after you get your cards. We were in the Halifax airport last year and had some time to kill between flights so I went to the office to see if we could get scanned.

When I got there I found a sign on the door saying they were only available by appointment, so I got out my phone and called the number posted.

"Hi, I'd like to make an appointment for an iris scan."

"Where are you?"

"Right outside your door."

"Come on in; we're not that busy."
Having the scans on record is supposed to speed things up quite a bit when flying into Canada from overseas.

I love antiques. That said, they always seem worthless when I want to sell, but very expensive when I want to buy. We have some consignment shops for nice furniture and antiques, but you only get a small fraction of what the buyer pays. In some locations garage sales are an option. The Salvation Army is always glad to get donations and they will send a truck to get them (here, anyway). The latter is where most of mine have ended up, sadly.

Braumeister,
Yes, we will do the retina scan. A Canadian office for that is about 20 minutes up the road.

It was hard to believe all the benefits for half the price and a fraction of the hassle.

Sunday, got up before dawn, drove 2 hours to take a day-long course from a master glass artist. Well worth the $200.

What glass course did you take, glass blowing, stained glass, lampwork, glass fusing, enameling?? I do enameling and a little lampwork.

I went with my wife on a grocery run. A store had yellow onion for 3 lbs/$1. So, I got 6 lbs. The weather finally turns cool, and 'tis the season for french onion soup. Yum. Now, I need to go get some gruyère cheese. Maybe I can substitute with provolone.

Attended a Thanksgiving pre-holiday lunch at Arthur Bryants BBQ. Great KC BBQ. Place was busy and the organizer was late. A buddy has organized this for about 20 years. Great guy but I should have known to have been 15 minutes late.

What glass course did you take, glass blowing, stained glass, lampwork, glass fusing, enameling?? I do enameling and a little lampwork.

Glass blowing, with the furnaces and everything. You start out making paperweights. Later I made a 'Japanese fishing float' (always wanted to do that!).

This fellow starts with clear soda glass and adds color as required. Then it gets wilder and wilder. He has been doing this 46 years. It would definitely take a couple of years to become minimally competent. The old 10,000 hours rule works.

Gave blood today.

I used to double up, once in Calgary, then 4 weeks later in the US and so forth.

Gave blood today.

I used to double up, once in Calgary, then 4 weeks later in the US and so forth.

I used to give blood. Then I was disinvited because I lived in the UK for three years while in the service. Now they think I have mad cow disease so my blood isn't good enough. Seems to work fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Glass blowing, with the furnaces and everything. You start out making paperweights. Later I made a 'Japanese fishing float' (always wanted to do that!).

This fellow starts with clear soda glass and adds color as required. Then it gets wilder and wilder. He has been doing this 46 years. It would definitely take a couple of years to become minimally competent. The old 10,000 hours rule works.

The glass blowing class sounds amazing. And you're living near one of my favorite artists - Dale Chihuly. I have a few pieces that were done by students of his. (I can't afford stuff done by him, LOL.)

My main event for the day was getting all the grocery shopping done for Thanksgiving. Tomorrow all I have to make is soup and a green salad. One of our kids who likes to cook has a fancy meal planned and will do most of the cooking.

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished the chalk paint washstand project - here are the before and after pictures as requested:

IMG_5226.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

I'm pleased with how it turned out, and it was even easier than I expected.

Also gave the dog a bath and ran a few pre-Thanksgiving errands.

Getting ready to head to the kitchen for the rest of the day. Even though it's just 3 of us (DS is on his way down from Dallas), I'm fixing traditional turkey with all the trimmings - I love Thanksgiving leftovers. DH has requested pumpkin pie for the first time in many years, so I'll get that in the oven before I start chopping veggies.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Booked my away ticket for New Zealand.

Hurray!

Return date undetermined. Could be a few weeks, up to three months.

Roasted a goose.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom