what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, pile on a little, will you?

Not so much piling on as trying to help by saving you a few bucks.

Your post yesterday
one of the trees is so overgrown it is touching Frank's roof and another is so overgrown that it is touching mine. So at the very least, trimming is in order for most of the trees and at least one needs to go. Maybe several. Also I want them to remove the bushes on my side of the chain link fence
didn't sound so extensive, so I think we were just picturing a much smaller job.

Sorry if you got the wrong impression. :flowers:

Wow, pile on a little, will you? :D Y'all, I think you WAY underestimated the extent of the job. It's not just "trimming residential trees for a couple properties"... yes, that would be probably $1K-$2K depending on the number and size of the trees, by this company's price list, Pb4uski. Ronstar, I paid this same company $1900 to take down a tree the size or your cottonwood, at my old home, and that included stump grinding and removal. Here, just one of the trees being taken down is way bigger than that and hangs over six properties.

Instead of just a little tree trimming, this is a complete re-landscaping of a yard and surroundings taken over by subtropical jungle. Believe me, if anything it is way under-priced. I expected the price to be around $30K-$50K. The price will be less if they can't get the Parish (=county) permits to remove the two trees at the curb which have broken up the sidewalk, and whose roots have grown into the Parish storm drain and whose branches are totally entangled with the electrical wires. They'll be handling the permit applications for me and dealing with the Parish and electric company too if need be.
Your earlier post sounded like "landscaping project" to me, but some others must have thought "branch trimming or tree removal". That price tag of $16K doesn't sound at all bad for a big front yard landscaping project. Good luck..

Reactions: W2R
Wow, pile on a little, will you? :D Y'all, I think you WAY underestimated the extent of the job. It's not just "trimming residential trees for a couple properties"... yes, that would be probably $1K-$2K depending on the number and size of the trees, by this company's price list, Pb4uski. Ronstar, I paid this same company $1900 to take down a tree the size or your cottonwood, at my old home, and that included stump grinding and removal. Here, just one of the trees being taken down is way bigger than that and hangs over six properties.

Instead of just a little tree trimming, this is a complete re-landscaping of a yard and surroundings taken over by subtropical jungle. Believe me, if anything it is way under-priced. I expected the price to be around $30K-$50K. The price will be less if they can't get the Parish (=county) permits to remove the two trees at the curb which have broken up the sidewalk, and whose roots have grown into the Parish storm drain and whose branches are totally entangled with the electrical wires. They'll be handling the permit applications for me and dealing with the Parish and electric company too if need be.

If someone said they were spending less than $16K for a major kitchen remodel complete with new layout and all the bells and whistles, plus for a major bathroom remodel, you all would probably say, "Wow, what a DEAL!" Which is what everyone around here says about the prices I get from this company. They give me better rates because I am an old customer. I have never gotten or even heard of competing quotes that beat this company, at least not from one that is established, insured, has at least one English speaking foreman, and so on.

I knew I shouldn't even mention what I did today on this thread.

There's no need to get defensive. We were giving honest feedback based on the information you provided earlier. Based on the above post, it sounds as if you can justify the high cost, at least to yourself. You have to expect tough feedback from a bunch if cheapskates like us!

Left lots of skate marks at the ice rink.

I was hoping for your bank account that you'd misplaced the comma in $16,000, W2R, but I can tell the amount of pleasure your "new" yard will give you (and the relief of worrying that a big limb will come through the roof in a storm!) when all the work is done will make the cost seem a pittance. So much work and expertise taking overgrown trees down in a city neighborhood! And your climate encourages growth more than where I live.

When we bought our house 35 plus years ago we couldn't wait to plant several trees. Since then we've had to take down a black walnut, crab apple, sugar maple, apple, elm, and mountain ash, from storms or disease. The arborist is on speed dial. Our love affair with trees started cooling off about 15 years ago!

That price tag of $16K doesn't sound at all bad for a big front yard landscaping project.

+1

DD#2 just spent $30+K for some major landscaping work in their big back yard. Tree removal, fencing, crushed granite walkways, sprinkler system, patio extension etc. Looks nice but it was pricey...

Wow, pile on a little, will you? :D Y'all, I think you WAY underestimated the extent of the job. It's not just "trimming residential trees for a couple properties"... yes, that would be probably $1K-$2K depending on the number and size of the trees, by this company's price list, Pb4uski. Ronstar, I paid this same company $1900 to take down a tree the size or your cottonwood, at my old home, and that included stump grinding and removal. Here, just one of the trees being taken down is way bigger than that and hangs over six properties.....

I guess that I didn't appreciate the size, scope and complexity of your project...$16k is a lot to begin with (1/2 of a car as I think of it) not to mention it being a screaming deal. Nonetheless I know you are not one to waste money so it must be a good deal... just hard for me to fathom. Sorry.

[-]Bit on[/-] Took advantage of some Black Friday/Cyber Monday cell phone offers to upgrade our phones and service. Moving from my Virgin Mobile (Sprint) and her Verizon prepaid to Cricket (AT&T) for both of us. Net cost of two new phones (LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S4) after rebates and service credits will be $85 and our ongoing bill will decline by $17/mo.

This Santa loves Christmas presents that will pay for themselves. :dance:

Yesterday, at the 99c store I spotted some 28-oz cans of organic fire-roasted tomatoes for, what else but, 99c. How did they get them for so cheap? The label claimed that the tomatoes were "field to can" in 8 hours. Good stuff!

So, I bought some and just made a pot of tomato bisque with one can. After cleaning up a bowl for lunch, I had to go back for a second. Darn, the bisque was excellent, if you don't mind me saying so.

... I knew I shouldn't even mention what I did today on this thread.

There's nothing like a photo of the jungle to quiet down the skeptics. :)

Last edited:
Your earlier post sounded like "landscaping project" to me, but some others must have thought "branch trimming or tree removal". That price tag of $16K doesn't sound at all bad for a big front yard landscaping project. Good luck..

Thanks. Front, sides, and back yard too, BTW.

If someone said they were spending less than $16K for a major kitchen remodel complete with new layout and all the bells and whistles, plus for a major bathroom remodel, you all would probably say, "Wow, what a DEAL!" Which is what everyone around here says about the prices I get from this company. They give me better rates because I am an old customer. I have never gotten or even heard of competing quotes that beat this company, at least not from one that is established, insured, has at least one English speaking foreman, and so on.

I knew I shouldn't even mention what I did today on this thread.

Sorry, I thought the scope of your project was only a couple of trees touching the roofs of the 2 houses.

Set all those people's post counters back to zero.

(you won't get that joke if you haven't been around a little while)

I guess that I didn't appreciate the size, scope and complexity of your project...$16k is a lot to begin with (1/2 of a car as I think of it) not to mention it being a screaming deal. Nonetheless I know you are not one to waste money so it must be a good deal... just hard for me to fathom. Sorry.

Me too and I have had major landscaping done at my house but the bill was never that high . The only time I got a bill that high was $20k for a new seawall . I almost fainted until he pointed out how big my sea wall is.

I have transitioned from 130k per year flyer to one personal trip per quarter. I have seen the inside of just about every airport bathroom. I hated traveling from mid November through the first of the year and in the summer when all the families were taking their vacations. I can't wait to do some driving vacations with my camper. Nothing glorious about flying nowdays, that's for sure

I did help Denver DIA set a new record for most people through the airport Sunday!

Walked the dog at the beach... It was cold (mid 40's) but gorgeous at sunrise... Didn't stop the surfers because the waves were big and well formed. Found myself chuckling at some of the acrobats the surfers were doing.

Then went to Kaiser's "breast health clinic" because I have a recurring nodule in my ta-ta... This is the 2nd re-occurrence, so not scary like the first time (where I had fears of cancer). But I did leave with a referral for a minor procedure. It's like Billy Crystal says in City Slickers "You'll call it a procedure but it's surgery". I guess this is part of my mid-life crisis.

The rest of the day was normal - nagging the kids about homework and to practice the piano and doing chores around the house.

Tomorrow... no walk on the beach... I'm off to the dentist for a new crown to replace a 25 year old filling.

After dog walk, breakfast meeting for one of my volunteer gigs. Then grocery shopping. Moved Christmas decorations in from the utility closet - 3 trees (1 tabletop), 5 boxes. I usually wait until mid-month to decorate, but I'm hosting our bunco group Thursday for a friend going through chemo and we agreed on a Christmas theme. Got big stuff set up before dinner (baked catfish, sweet potato fries, steamed veggies ). Trees decorated. Mission accomplished.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Walked the dog at the beach... It was cold (mid 40's) but gorgeous at sunrise... Didn't stop the surfers because the waves were big and well formed. Found myself chuckling at some of the acrobats the surfers were doing.

Then went to Kaiser's "breast health clinic" because I have a recurring nodule in my ta-ta... This is the 2nd re-occurrence, so not scary like the first time (where I had fears of cancer). But I did leave with a referral for a minor procedure. It's like Billy Crystal says in City Slickers "You'll call it a procedure but it's surgery". I guess this is part of my mid-life crisis.

The rest of the day was normal - nagging the kids about homework and to practice the piano and doing chores around the house.

Tomorrow... no walk on the beach... I'm off to the dentist for a new crown to replace a 25 year old filling.

Best of luck with the errant ta-ta, though this post is useless without pics... :)

Attachments

• Tata_Nano_im_Verkehrszentrum_des_Deutschen_Museums.JPG
    Tata_Nano_im_Verkehrszentrum_des_Deutschen_Museums.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom