what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again my beach walk didn't happen because of super high tides... but it was cool to look at from the other side of the sea wall and from the parking lot at Scripps UCSD (where I could walk by surface street without getting wet.)

Baked sicilian almond cookies for a cookie exchange tomorrow.

Tonight I'm off to see Nick Lowe with my ex-office Husband. (A friend/former coworker that shared an office, had a lab bench next to mine, etc for over a decade... ) Don't worry, DH knows him, likes him, and knows it's platonic. Even my kids refer to him as my office husband when they see him.

Got the replacement lockset I ordered for my roll top desk. The original lock is one of the dumbest designs I have ever seen. There was no unlocked position. It was always locked so that if I closed the roll top I had to have the key to open it again. Amazon had a lockset with an unlocked position for about $20 so I installed that. No more than got done with that and had a phone call from a person that wanted my old drop front secretary as a desk for his kid so I gave it to him and he hauled it away.

Played golf the last couple of days. Nice to be able to play in shorts this time of the year. I'm headed to the beach for a week later this morning. Going to be good getting away for a few days.

Tonight I'm off to see Nick Lowe

It was a great show. The audience was amusing to me. Bunch of old farts (myself included)... some decked out in their finest 1980's styled finest duds. (I opted for jeans and a t-shirt... appropriate for the very casual venue.)

You know you're old when you go see a concert and the entire crowd is in their 50's and up... Lots of white hair and balding heads. Didn't stop us from enjoying the tunes.

Don't forget to take pictures of the antique-style table as it progresses.

I decorated the Christmas tree today . There is something about seeing the ornaments collected through many years that made me smile .Tonight we are going to my SO's three year old granddaughter's Christmas play . I might be just getting in the Holiday mood after all.

I went to see my doctor yesterday, and saw the recent blood test results. Everything was good, except for blood glucose of 102. Uh oh! I have had it that high a few years ago, but then let down my guard and it is coming back.

So, I am cutting down on carb starting today. I do not drink soda, nor eat sweets or dessert, but eat too much bread, rice, and pasta. I am not going carbless, only cut down on it. I already eat tons of vegetable. They say red meat is not good, so I will eat more nuts, dairy products, eggs, fish, etc...

Nonsense! It's delicious!
:LOL:

I forgot to say "bad for one's health", not his palate.

PS. Just bake myself a piece of wild salmon. Just some olive oil, salt, and pepper, then squeezed lemon juice at the end. Delicious.

Last edited:
Did some urban hiking in Chicago. Visited "The Ledge" that sticks out from the Willis Tower skydeck 103 floors up. Eerie looking down through the glass floor.

23372024420_0216eb5b97_b.jpg

23648005826_00302d34f7_b.jpg

Yikes! I don't do exposed heights well. Just the picture makes me squirm.

We picked up our new car (2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited in Tungsten with tan interior) yesterday and I spent some time this morning mounting the EZPass, registering the new car on EZPass, mounting the garage door opener, finding a site for the GPS, programming radio pre-sets, etc. adjusting the tennis ball so it is the right place in the garage and just checking out all the nooks and crannies. Happy so far.

We also went to see The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 yesterday after settling up for the car. I had watched the first 3 Hunger Games movies earlier in the week so the storyline was fresh in my mind.

DW has been cleaning up a storm but unfortunately when she moved her bureau to clean behind it the attached mirror fell off and broke, not only the mirror but also one of the wood frame joints in one corner so I cleaned it up, re-glued it and have it setting up. I'll also hit it with my brad nailer from the back once the glue sets.

And as I was typing this she comes up and tells me she broke something else. :banghead:

This is the top of the Harbour Bridge in Sydney,Australia

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 172
Got a refund, I think.

I had an auto repair done recently and I took advantage of a $25 off "get acquainted"coupon at a new repair facility. But between the time I asked about using the coupon and the final bill, they jacked up the price to negate the discount. They were not clever about it and it was obvious what had happened. I was blown off when I initially complained so I gave them a nasty review on line.

Today I got a call from the owner and he admitted I was right and has promised a refund. I'll believe it when the check clears.

what did you do today?

The weather has been great this week. I live within a 20 minute drive of 3 out of Americas dozen or so meromictic lakes so instead of going to the gym I hiked around all three of them this week. Green Lake on Monday, Round Lake on Wednesday, and finished the most difficult of the hikes at Glacier Lake today.

Green Lake:ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1449863199.764139.jpg

Round Lake: ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1449863260.733190.jpg

Glacier Lake:ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1449863305.471211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The weather has been great this week. I live within a 20 minute drive of 3 out of Americas dozen or so meromictic lakes so instead of going to the gym I hiked around all three of them this week. Green Lake on Monday, Round Lake on Wednesday, and finished the most difficult of the hikes at Glacier Lake today.

Green Lake:View attachment 22730

Round Lake: View attachment 22731

Glacier Lake:View attachment 22732

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I love this forum. I learn something new every day!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meromictic_lake

Houshold improvements

My DW requested we add architectural brackets to the outside of our home. I was set to buy them from Lowe's when she suggested I try eBay. Well down at the bottom of the listings was a line that said "sale on brackets". I
went to the site, and lo and behold, the identical ones were $20 cheaper! Since we need 8, the savings was $160:) They also had a first timer coupon for another $10 off!

Our Laz-Boy recliner has been broken for a while. Due to inertia, DW didn't want to shop for a new one! Today, we bought two new chairs and a love seat for the living room (a new rug is in the near future as well!), and are looking for a futon for the guest room.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

La-Z-Boy has a 20 year warranty on parts. You can repair by yourself or pay one of their people.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

La-Z-Boy has a 20 year warranty on parts. You can repair by yourself or pay one of their people.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We used this once before on the chair, and it lasted about 5 more years, but three sons who don't sit down, but rather flop down into chairs pushed it beyond repair!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wow! Over a million views on this thread. Amazing, for a relatively small forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom