what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nailed up 35 feet of scrap fire hose as a bumper along my boat slip, just in case I buy a boat someday.

Yesterday and today were (relatively) warm 45 and 58. Put 250 miles on the Suzuki touring bike, dropped it off at the dealer's this afternoon for the 600-mile checkup.

The weather tomorrow and the next few days will be yucky so I told the shop they don't have to be in a rush to get it back to me, as I'll be at work anyway. Luckily, the weather will warm up just as my next three days off come!

Received the forms for a possible homeowner's property tax credit for FIL.

Goofed off, then scraped melting ice off the back steps and deck for some exercise. Melt, damned snow, melt! :LOL:
Took Mr. Bruno of Squirrel Chasing fame to his new vet for a tuneup. He was quite the hit with the office staff. Everyone wanted to pet him, calling him fuzzy and cute. He's a 9 yo golden lab/shepherd mix and is very sweet tempered. I was chopped liver...merely the token leash holder. :(
Made meatball subs for dinner.
Gave dh2b a nice face massage to cure his w*rk stress. :flowers:
Goofing off again :greetings10:

Just got around to reading some of these posts and the one of Khan's from 2/24 reminded me to do something. Said the housekeeper was there that day. That is the next thing on our agenda. We are just getting to the point where we're not that interested in doing it ourself as it's a real struggle. We realize we can't do all the things we used to--and we're getting a little lax. Any suggestions on house cleaning? We are thinking about taking two rooms a week and doing a very thorough cleaning. With eight rooms not counting bathrooms, this cycle could keep someone busy on a year round basis. Is this too much? Also, having been in the property management business, don't think I'd let anyone on my property unless they were licensed, bonded and insured. Your thoughts along these lines?

Goofed off, then scraped melting ice off the back steps and deck for some exercise. Melt, damned snow, melt! :LOL:
Took Mr. Bruno of Squirrel Chasing fame to his new vet for a tuneup. He was quite the hit with the office staff. Everyone wanted to pet him, calling him fuzzy and cute. He's a 9 yo golden lab/shepherd mix and is very sweet tempered. I was chopped liver...merely the token leash holder. :(
Made meatball subs for dinner.
Gave dh2b a nice face massage to cure his w*rk stress. :flowers:
Goofing off again :greetings10:

I read something you posted about your property taxes and realized I had not paid them. Dug through pile of stuff and found bill; has to be postmarked by 27 Feb. Driving to USPS tomorrow, bullet dodged.

Just got around to reading some of these posts and the one of Khan's from 2/24 reminded me to do something. Said the housekeeper was there that day. That is the next thing on our agenda. We are just getting to the point where we're not that interested in doing it ourself as it's a real struggle. We realize we can't do all the things we used to--and we're getting a little lax. Any suggestions on house cleaning? We are thinking about taking two rooms a week and doing a very thorough cleaning. With eight rooms not counting bathrooms, this cycle could keep someone busy on a year round basis. Is this too much? Also, having been in the property management business, don't think I'd let anyone on my property unless they were licensed, bonded and insured. Your thoughts along these lines?

Mine is a unique situation. The housekeeper is the daughter of the folks that live across the street (and were there when I moved in 30 years ago).

I also pay the neighbor to do yard work and some home repairs.

I read something you posted about your property taxes and realized I had not paid them. Dug through pile of stuff and found bill; has to be postmarked by 27 Feb. Driving to USPS tomorrow, bullet dodged.
Wow, I did my good deed for the day through osmosis. A fitting end to a fine day. It will make up for my complete lack of popuarity at the vet's office. :LOL:

...housecleaner...Your thoughts along these lines?
I went through a local small business that will assign a housecleaner to the customer based on cleaning needs and schedules. The business owner pre-screens the w*rkers and then does a match up for a one-time finder's fee (paid by w*rker). The housecleaner then deals directly with the homeowner for scheduling and payment. If there are problems, the homeowner reverts back to the business for resolution and/or re-assignment. It's a nice system.

Uh oh. Early onset CRS?

An abhorrence of paperwork combined with a tendency to drop such into a pile to look at 'later'.

Party of the reason for the housekeeper is to browbeat/nag me into doing stuff (and assisting).

I got an email today from an old friend that I had lost touch with mostly. He told me that an old girlfriend of mine (and his) had died last week. She was a sweetheart, very kind and decent. She had been suffering from Christian-Weber syndrome, which I had never heard of. Not much info out there, but it doesn't sound fatal, so I guess there were complications. I hadn't talked to her in about 25 years, but had thought of her often, and occasionally heard about her from others. So I basically spent the day thinking about old friends, and thinking that I might want to re-establish contact with some of them, because there's never as much time as you think there is.

I got an email today from an old friend that I had lost touch with mostly. He told me that an old girlfriend of mine (and his) had died last week. She was a sweetheart, very kind and decent. She had been suffering from Christian-Weber syndrome, which I had never heard of. Not much info out there, but it doesn't sound fatal, so I guess there were complications. I hadn't talked to her in about 25 years, but had thought of her often, and occasionally heard about her from others. So I basically spent the day thinking about old friends, and thinking that I might want to re-establish contact with some of them, because there's never as much time as you think there is.

Get a Facebook account, and go hunting........:D

I hadn't talked to her in about 25 years, but had thought of her often,

Jim Lehrer (The NewsHour guy) recently said that his two great ambitions are:

to find and marry the girl he met at a Kansas train station during World War II and to become a pro baseball player.

Great men think alike?

Spot painted and cleaned rust areas from areas with 8 months of tropical salty air.
Read the first chapter of a book I've had on the shelf for five years, meaning to read it.
Practiced my golf swing with some wiffle balls, and I'm as bad as with real balls.
Posted on this forum.

I mentioned auditioning a singer a few posts back. She turned out to be phenomenal, and we have two gigs scheduled for next week. This will really make a difference for me. The last sax player we had was great and I loved listening to him when we played. He went off to music school, and his replacement is not the same.

If this singer works out, I'll enjoy gigs a lot more. She has a voice like an angel, knows when to come in, and can sight-read new songs convincingly. She's only 19.

.... Any suggestions on house cleaning? We are thinking about taking two rooms a week and doing a very thorough cleaning.... Your thoughts along these lines?
I'm doing something similar, working on a technique to start a project, and see if SO will complete it. Works with kitty litter, I move litter boxes into the hallway which partially blocks the door. Any ideas?

.... Any suggestions on house cleaning? We are thinking about taking two rooms a week and doing a very thorough cleaning.... Your thoughts along these lines?

There is a great feeling that comes from having the whole house clean at one time. Our system is that DW says "We have to clean the house, it's been x weeks." We then put it off for a few days, and then she cleans the upstairs plus the downstairs bathroom, and I clean the downstairs plus the stairs. When we're done it's high fives all around.

I read some book on the best/fastest way to clean, and it was useful.

For Christmas my sister gave our daughter (about to graduate) a book like this. She asked me if I thought it was a good gift, and I said "Yeah. What says 'Congratulations on your biomedical engineering degree' better than a book on how to vacuum?"

Volunteered at the local food bank at the church up the street, opening up big boxes, counting and filling orders, etc etc. I got a heck of a workout over 2 hours and a nice feeling of doing some good.
Had leftover pizza for dinner and the last of the Ghirardelli chocolate minis that Santa brought me. Is it too soon for the Easter Bunny? :(
Watching Star Trek the Next Generation. Jean Luc Picard is putting the romantic moves on Dr.Crusher. :rolleyes:
Getting ready to watch Mamma Mia for the Friday night movie at home.

Get a Facebook account, and go hunting........:D

Just did that, found a dozen or so people. Amazing. Guess I'll put some info and pics on my page, then start sending friend reqests. I'll probably be that guy Al is talking about in the Facebook thread.

I mentioned auditioning a singer a few posts back. She turned out to be phenomenal, and we have two gigs scheduled for next week. This will really make a difference for me. The last sax player we had was great and I loved listening to him when we played. He went off to music school, and his replacement is not the same.

If this singer works out, I'll enjoy gigs a lot more. She has a voice like an angel, knows when to come in, and can sight-read new songs convincingly. She's only 19.

So you don't know when she's at your front door? :angel:

My brother lost his wife almost a year ago. He has thrown away most of her stuff, but recently he found the HS yearbook from her year. He was looking at a picture of two cheerleaders that he had been sweet with- his late wife and another girlfriend. Although they would both be less than 60 years old, both are dead from cancer.

As we get older I think many of us want to reach out more to people who were part of our lives at one time or another. I have done it to great satisfaction, by using Facebook, by going to a reunion, etc.

I've been trying to find an old girlfriend across the country in New England. She seems to have dropped off the earth and left no trace. I realize that even if she were unmarried, she would be basically an old woman that I wouldn't really know any longer. But she was so warm, so kind, so able to see through my bullshit but love me anyway that I would really like to find her just to thank her and apologize to her for being a dummie. And, as my old roomate says, "Who knows, she may be one of those women who still looks 50."

Ha

I found 2 former friends by using a combination of Google and 411.com. (This was before Facebook, but these weren't guys who would bother with FB anyway). They were interested in meeting me, and husband was willing to allow it as part of a trip on my own out of state for another purpose, but the meetings were flops.

I remembered them as dynamic, imaginative, ambitious young men who could keep a conversation rolling all afternoon and into the evening. They always seemed to know more about practically everything than I did. Boy, had that changed. They had barely left their home states, and done zilch with their degrees. After ascertaining one another's spouse-and-kids, employment, and home-ownership status, we had little to talk about.

The nice thing was they each told me I had barely changed in 20-some years [I do realize this doesn't actually mean that I still looked 23, but is really code for "I'm so amazed you didn't get fat."] One fellow had actually kept a photograph of me, and produced it to prove his point. He also still had a gift I'd once made for him. So that was kind of sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom