what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thailand

Wife and I rode our bicycles as we so most Sundays with the Chiang Mai Bicycle club. Always a interesting ride with some wonderful people.

Then came home and ate fresh coconut.

Now it's evening and we are watching a movie called Joe Black.

HAAAAAA another day of retirement.:))

What beautiful scenery you have! Is this close by or do you have to go far ?

It was about 20 miles away. It does look like upstate NY. I went to school in Ithaca. Sis lives part time in West Valley.

Hit some balls at the range with my 11 year old (who is just learning). That was fun. Going to an historic air show with vintage WWII planes this morning with both kids.

Tomorrow while kids are at school and DW is at w*rk I plan to go do some work on my little fishing shack out on our local Gulf of Mexico barrier island. I've been neglecting the little shack the last couple of years while I frantically w*orked, but now I'm going to fix it back up. I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

Here's a picture of a potato gun we built and took to the island last weekend, and a picture of the fishing shack. I need to work on lowering my pier-- the last hurricane that got close washed out a bunch of beach and now my little pier is sticking way out of the sand and looks crazy. Pictures were taken with a cell phone so they are bad, and tiny.

potatogunr.jpg

shack.jpg

Watched 2" of snow fall from the sky. :mad:
Surfed here and elsewhere ALL day. :LOL:
Making chicken noodle soup in the crockpot. The smell is tremendous.
Annual springtime ritual - I'm finishing up all sorts of small amounts of meats and veggies and saved broth in my freezer
and that means soup. :flowers:
One of these, Sfogliatella a.k.a lobster tail pastry, and hopefully chocolate filled, is on its way home from the Italian restaurant dh2b had a w*rk lunch at today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sfogliatella

Watched 2" of snow fall from the sky. :mad:
Surfed here and elsewhere ALL day. :LOL:
Making chicken noodle soup in the crockpot. The smell is tremendous.
Annual springtime ritual - I'm finishing up all sorts of small amounts of meats and veggies and saved broth in my freezer
and that means soup. :flowers:
One of these, Sfogliatella a.k.a lobster tail pastry, and hopefully chocolate filled, is on its way home from the Italian restaurant dh2b had a w*rk lunch at today. Sfogliatelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, PM your chicken noodle soup recipe, if ya can........:D

Played golf this afternoon and it was cool and windy. Temp around 55, pretty cool for MS. But suppose to warm up to low 70's tomorrow. This might be my favorite week of the year. Master's golf week. I'll be playing in the mornings, watching the tournament in the afternoons.:)

A few days ago I looked at a nice high rise condo in a nearby neighborhood. It's in my price range, 5 minute walk from downtown, and the building and surroundings are very pretty.

Went back today to get a feel for the main street a block or so away. No place I would want to be after dark, so I’m no longer interested. In a way I am glad, as I can continue my totally irresponsible life as a renter.

ha

Reading your post reminded me of the time we were in Seattle last year. While waiting for our table at a restaurant near Pike and Broadway, we took a walk around the block and saw some condos for sale. I remember thinking to myself that this was a city life that a suburbanite like myself never knew. Your comment about safety makes me wonder, since this area appeared safe as it was crowded with restaurants and late dining customers.

So, I just went on redfin.com and looked around that area. Gosh! One-bedroom apartments are going for $300K+ to $600K. Price per sq.ft. runs around $500-$600+. :blink:

Man! It isn't a whole lot less expensive than Manhattan.

PS. This area did not look posh like Fifth Ave either.

Went downtown to see my Fidelity Rep. Super nice guy; we always enjoy a long chat.

Afterward walked around town on a really nice sunny day. A very pretty young woman standing at a light with me gave me a 1000 watt smile. I got over the shock quickly enough to smile back and comment on the nice day. She then told me something that explained her friendliness- she is from San Francisco. Different tribe down there.

Thsi whole event made me feel so good I went to Ross and bought a nice new Perry Ellis shirt. Kind of a deep blue with a fine vertical thread giving a subtle stripe. I asked the saleswoman to pick between two that I was undecided about. I felt good when she picked the one that I had been leaning toward.
Ha

Well, I revealed myself as an ignorant suburbanite. Just looked around downtown Tempe (Rio Salado near Arizona State Uni.), and Camelback & 24th St (near posh Biltmore). Price of condos ranges from $300+ to $800+ per square foot.

This city life is not for me then.

Went shopping. Talked with a friend had some good times. Preparing for my road trip of the south west.

I have been inundated with company recently . So my time is spent making my house comfortable for my 93 year old Mom ( Ensure in the fridge , safety grips in the bathroom , shower seat and white zinfandel ) and then changing to make it comfortable for my daughter , SIL ,and my grandson ( remove Ensure , add milk ,juice and Corona , take out shower chair but add safety gate , toys , sippy cups , high chair & port a crib ). A week after my daughter ,Sil and grandson leave my Mom returns so back with the shower chair , safety grips,ensure and the leftover White Zinfandel . I'm getting pretty good at this and it's kind of nice having family around after several years of being the only one in Florida .

Well, I revealed myself as an ignorant suburbanite. Just looked around downtown Tempe (Rio Salado near Arizona State Uni.), and Camelback & 24th St (near posh Biltmore). Price of condos ranges from $300+ to $800+ per square foot.

Those prices are uncomprehendable to me. My condo I bought last year was $50/sq ft for 860 sq ft and I loathe having even that much debt.

Those prices are uncomprehendable to me. My condo I bought last year was $50/sq ft for 860 sq ft and I loathe having even that much debt.

It's supply and demand, as usual. The supply is of course limited, but I did not realize the demand is that strong. But I am a kind of guy who never understands how people can pay so much to jam into a concert or to go to a ball game.

So, I always know what I think does not count, as I am in the minority.

I'll take three! SF, that is...

Did some spring cleaning -- the type where you pull out the furniture, clean the spider colonies behind the furniture, wash the walls, scrub the hearth, etc. Kind of a detailing for the house instead of the car. Could only do this supercleaning on one room however, the rest will have to wait.

Also made more granola and energy bars.

My big achievment of the day was to make myself a spectacular lunch with a nice wine, and get a bit smashed and really satisfied.

Yesterday I bought some oysters from Jack's, my seafood bar in the market. So for lunch I shucked and cooked some of them. I chopped a shallot, mixed with some olive oil, black perpper and fresh thyme and a small hit of rice wine. I was careful to preserve the oyster juices, and I spooned some of my shallot mix and about a half pat of butter onto each oyster in its half shell. Ground a little more coarse black pepper onto the top. Put them in a big skillet under the broiler and checked every 2 minutes until the shallots were just beginning to turn brown and crispy. Served with lemon slices and a nice Pinot Grigio from California-the wine by no means equal to my oysters, but not bad at all.

Ahh... :)

Ha

Started out to ride the motorcycle to Greencastle, PA, and stay off the Interstate (boring ride) but I hadn't put thermals on and started getting cold, turned around and went back home, ate lunch and warmed up. Put the thermals on and installed toe warmers in the boots and hand warmers in the gloves and settled for a ride to Berkeley Springs, WV.

Yesterday I installed the mounting bracket and wiring for the GPS on the motorcycle and had to check that out.

I've started to carry a camera on bike rides with the idea of trying to be aware of any unusual scenery to photograph since I haven't done much in the way of being artsy for a long time.

Did some spring cleaning -- the type where you pull out the furniture, clean the spider colonies behind the furniture, wash the walls, scrub the hearth, etc. Kind of a detailing for the house instead of the car. Could only do this supercleaning on one room however, the rest will have to wait.

Want to visit me?:cool:

Weekly Chinese buffet day.
I was joined by 2 very dear friends. The husband was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and will be undergoing chemo and radiation and then surgery. He is 42. His chances are very good for a successful outcome. I will be his pickup ride to get him home after treatments and will fuss over him for a few hours until the wife gets home from w*rk.
After listening to them explain his situation, asking questions with me giving feedback on logistics for plans for his care, all I could think was "Stock market? What market?"
They are very brave, and I am feeling very positive. Fingers crossed!

Did some spring cleaning -- the type where you pull out the furniture, clean the spider colonies behind the furniture, wash the walls, scrub the hearth, etc.

That's no spring cleaning!

That is when you are trying to sell your place.

No, wait! I don't know of any home buyer who looks under the rug and behind the furniture.

I ain't doing that kind of cleaning at my place.:whistle:

A more cheerful day today...:D...talked to my friend and we did some more conniving to help her hubby
get through his upcoming ordeal. We are like sisters. :flowers::flowers:
The sun is shining, it is windy out, and my crocus are blooming like crazy.
We had 4 days of cold and light snow, so my spirit is revived with spring-like temps again.
I did exactly 1 load of laundry.
Homemade Sloppy Joe mix is in the crockpot for dinner tonight.
I may crack a book or do my puzzle games on the Nintendo DS.
Poor little me...I just can't decide. :(

I have my ingredients all lined up for making the bars. I grabbed some dried fruit mix (tropical blend) at the dollar store the other day. Tomorrow looks good for making them.
I will do that kind of treatment to my rooms, doing one task at a time until that one room is "back in order". My housecleaner is here for the monthly overall maintenance part, not the detail work. I don't wash the walls though. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom