what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to go to w*rk. Just another monday for the people I w*rk for. I don't even get extra pay.

Woke up slowly.
Ordered soy candle making supplies and misters for aromatherapy sprays.
Brainstormed about adding more retail to my massage business.
Doing two massages tonight.
Caught up on laundry.

Big tiring day #2 today...
- Hugged a veteran :flowers: and let him sleep in.
- Finished painting the living room ceiling. Bleed through is minor.
- Went to WallyWorld :( for lawn stuff and to NAPA for car parts.
- Got treated to Taco Bell chalupas as a reward for enduring shopping :D
- Tool fetcher for dh2b continuing repairs to Jeep - transmission and transfer case seals and spark plug changes. He has probably saved us about $600 so far. More w*rk to be continued...I admire his stamina.

Watered, dusted leaves, cut off dead blooms, added new shorter support stick on this amazing supermarket orchid which has been in bloom continuously since it arrived in Aug. 2007. I’ve used the neglect technique of no re-potting or fertilizer while it’s in bloom. Miraculously, it’s trying to put out a couple more blooms at the end of the flower spike and is putting out a new spike at the base. Do I dare re-pot it after the last flower drops before the new spike blooms?

My wife loves orchid, and has been buying a pot every few months. However, they never rebloom, and she has half a dozen pots with just leaves. So, she sticks a silk flower in there and keeps the plants as decorations. Eventually, the plants die, and must be tossed out.

Could it be the heat and dryness of AZ? I know people have had success here, but they are more devoted fans and willing to put up a greenhouse. Having it rebloom while sitting on your coffee table is unheard of, sadly.

Hit the treadmill hard. Need to prepare for a super calorie lunch Thursday. Preparing to head out of town Fri for a relatives surgery. Talked with an awesome friend today. So it was relaxing. Caught the Nascar race. Fairly disappointing I hate rain outs. Good for that Reutimann kid to win.

My wife loves orchid, and has been buying a pot every few months. However, they never rebloom, and she has half a dozen pots with just leaves. So, she sticks a silk flower in there and keeps the plants as decorations. Eventually, the plants die, and must be tossed out.

Could it be the heat and dryness of AZ? I know people have had success here, but they are more devoted fans and willing to put up a greenhouse. Having it rebloom while sitting on your coffee table is unheard of, sadly.
Would this be useful?

Table Top Greenhouse

I have a round glass terrarium with a glass plate cover for my woods mosses and native salamanders. I've never grown orchids, but perhaps a large glass fishbowl with a partial plexiglas cover (drill holes in it for air exchange) could provide the required humidity.
http://www.terrariums.com/terrariumaccessories/doityourself.cfm

CuppaJoe is the orchid expert, so I will defer to his advice. :D

Even at a new pot every few months, orchids are very cost-effective as they stay in bloom for months. Years ago, I really got into it and tried many varieties but like your DW's plants, very few rebloom. That's why I got so excited to see this one is sending out yet another flower spike and will probably be in bloom again on its second anniversary here.

Orchid people say that the conditions that work best for the plants are the same as are comfortable for people. I wouldn't worry too much about the dryness, maybe just water them more often. I'm back to buying the easiest variety with the idea of tossing it when it has no potential to rebloom.

My neighbor is active in a couple of orchid groups and donates out-of-bloom orchids to one of them for fund raising. She also uses a service that takes her favorite out-of-bloom orchids, cares for them and delivers them back to her when they bloom again.

It never ends...here I was looking forward to a day of pure FIRE...
dh2b is at w*rk, no big chores looming...aaaaaahhhhhh.
I called my dentist to see if I could change an appt (2 weeks hence) to fix a soon-to-fail-at-any-time cracked tooth. I was double-booked with a volunteer event on the same day.
Normally his office is extremely busy and there would be no way I could get in today.
WRONG! :nonono: There was a last minute cancellation for 11 AM today and they were SO HAPPY
to fill the opening without making any phone calls. :mad:
I should be grateful for the opening, but getting Novacaine and having a temporary crown put on is the
last thing I wanted to go through today.
End of whine...:LOL:
Someone please tell me to be glad to be able to get it fixed before it completely fails. :cool:

Well, I was going to go for a long motorcycle ride but it's raining all day. So I'll just stay home and read, watch TV, post here, work for four hours this evening, take DW out to dinner tomorrow night.

Well, I was going to go for a long motorcycle ride but it's raining all day. So I'll just stay home and read, watch TV, post here, work for four hours this evening, take DW out to dinner tomorrow night.
Wanna trade places? Be your best friend. :D:D:D
We have rain and Tstorms coming later today.
Hmmmm...but this is still better than w*rk. :LOL:

I'm talking yesterday-today all I have done is get up, pee, and have a cup of coffee.

Yesterday I had sausage and eggs to celebrate the Holiday. Then walked over to Trader Joe with my pack and got some groceries. On my way home I stopped in to see a couple whom I met when I first busted with my wife- we were living next to one another in a duplex, and I invited them for omelets one morning and ever since we have been friends. I asked if Erik was home, she said no but she planned to meet him in Vol Park in a few minutes. So we walked by my place, dropped off my food, and then went up to the park which was full of happy people on a very sunny day. We climbed the water tower and looked around. These friends know everybody, so I met lots of old and new acquaintances just walking around with them. Later we met my language partner and friend Rafael at a coffee house. Stefania really took to him so we skipped the Spanish part of Intercambio and just visited.

Then I had to leave to grab some soup and head out to pick up my FFF (favorite female friend) to go to a movie. Saw a very nice French comedy in the spirit of Moliere, "Shall We Kiss". I suppose it might be called a chick flick, but it was very enjoyable to me. It was about the power of a kiss, and how one never knows the disruptive effects that can come out of passion.

When I came home my brother had asked for a callback. He must have been staying up al night- anyway he was all excited at having worked out a betting scheme for this fall’s football season in LV. So if this comes off and he gets a place down there for fall I will have a great pastime down there.

Ha

today all I have done is get up, pee, and have a cup of coffee. Ha
That's about all I've done so far....:)

I did get a message from my DH. He is coming home today, cutting his motorcycle trip short because of rain. He's been rained on quite a bit...even at night. The night-time riding in the rain.....did not go well with me. :mad:

But, he's smoothed that over enough with me to feel comfortable coming home. :) Heh.

Latest in dental equipment...even the doc laughed when I told him it felt like he was digging for buried treasure today.
I was in the chair for over an hour. Temp crown is in place, mouth is very sore in spite of residual Novacaine effect, but it's over with!
I treated myself to a chocolate shake afterwards. :blush:
No chewing until dinner tonight or I might accidentally bite my tongue or cheek. :D

Wow, freebird, you should go to my dentist! I can't say that it is fun, but at least he goes out of his way to make things pain free.

Wish I could say the same for his hygienist. :blush:

What am I doing today? Playing "retired". (Our building is closed for major electrical upgrades this week, so everyone gets a free vacation for the week.) So far, I am amazed to find out that I am sleeping more and exercising less than I hope/anticipate will be the case in retirement. Not good. I feel like an illustration that should be included next to the dictionary.com definition of "sloth", definition #1 below:

sloth (slôth, slōth, slŏth)

n.
  1. Aversion to work or exertion; laziness; indolence.
  2. Any of various slow-moving, arboreal, edentate mammals of the family Bradypodidae of South and Central America, having long hooklike claws by which they hang upside down from tree branches and feeding on leaves, buds, and fruits, especially:
    1. A member of the genus Bradypus, having three long-clawed toes on each forefoot. Also called ai1, three-toed sloth.
    2. A member of the genus Choloepus, having two toes on each forefoot. Also called two-toed sloth, unau.
  3. A company of bears. See Synonyms at flock1.

Wow, freebird, you should go to my dentist! I can't say that it is fun, but at least he goes out of his way to make things pain free.

Wish I could say the same for his hygienist. :blush:
It was a molar with mostly filling in it and a crack in the interior of the tooth. So it took a lot of drilling to remove the old filling, plus he was drilling away the irregular parts of the unsound parts of the tooth, leaving the right profile for attaching a crown to the rest of the sound tooth. Did I get that right? :LOL:
Most of the soreness is from the Novacaine injection sites plus the fact my jaw was open for so long.
I've been tested for TMJ, negative. A previous dentist told me it might have been the stress (daytime clenching at w*rk) that was making my jaw sore.
I'm just a big baby :'( when it comes to stuff like this.
If I whine a lot, I feel better. ;)

Wow, how do all you get off lounging around all day? I've been hitting the bricks early every day for the last week. Lots of trips to the garden store and piles of plants and piles of bags of mulch.

Doing a little updating on the landscaping around the house, it's only been 24 years. :rolleyes:

It's back to the garden store tomorrow to stimulate the economy again. :D

A few pictures of the progress.:flowers:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3
Nice garden Uncle Honey. When you are finished do you want to come around and do mine?

I've had a wasted day vegging in front of the telly nursing numerous cups of tea. We over indulged last night in the vino and boy I don't know about the rest of you but I just don't bounce back like I did 20 years ago.

Nice garden Uncle Honey. When you are finished do you want to come around and do mine?

I've had a wasted day vegging in front of the telly nursing numerous cups of tea. We over indulged last night in the vino and boy I don't know about the rest of you but I just don't bounce back like I did 20 years ago.

Hummm...... maybe January? It doesn't snow in silicone valley in January does it? :LOL:

Ah the VINO head, I remember it well. Haven't had one of those for years. My BIL always said he pitied the person that didn't drink because when they got up in the morning that was as good as they were going to feel all day. :ROFLMAO:

It was a molar with mostly filling in it and a crack in the interior of the tooth. So it took a lot of drilling to remove the old filling, plus he was drilling away the irregular parts of the unsound parts of the tooth, leaving the right profile for attaching a crown to the rest of the sound tooth. Did I get that right? :LOL:
Most of the soreness is from the Novacaine injection sites plus the fact my jaw was open for so long.
I've been tested for TMJ, negative. A previous dentist told me it might have been the stress (daytime clenching at w*rk) that was making my jaw sore.
I'm just a big baby :'( when it comes to stuff like this.
If I whine a lot, I feel better. ;)

"All joys I bless
But I must confess
There is one greatest thrill.
What the dentist does
When he stops the buzz
And puts away the drill."
--Ogden Nash

Spent time resting up from Trailering/kayaking trip. This was the launch site. The Kayak I made some years ago is an 18 footer.

QUeLaunchSite.jpgQueLaunchKayak3.jpg

Hummm...... maybe January? It doesn't snow in silicone valley in January does it? :LOL:

Ah the VINO head, I remember it well. Haven't had one of those for years. My BIL always said he pitied the person that didn't drink because when they got up in the morning that was as good as they were going to feel all day. :ROFLMAO:

No snow here so not only can I guarantee some warmth I'll share some of my vino with you.

I went golfing yesterday and I have a 12:30 tee time today. Since my ER I have been golfing quite a bit. I'm really getting my money's worth on my club membership. My handicap has also been dropping. I have no problem finding guys to play, many are early retired like me or own their own company and can get out and play when they want. Ive also been invited to play with the "old guys", but at 51 I'd be the youngest by about 10 years and I already play quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom