what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I *FINALLY* got my retirement estimate from HR this morning. I have been interacting with them since February since they said I should get started on this around that time. Since then I have been even going down there once a month to see how things are progressing, and sending an e-mail summarizing what we said (in a nice way) as documentation, at their request. This is my first indication that HR even agrees that I qualify to retire on November 9th.

The person who is handling my retirement paperwork in HR isn't really a retirement expert, and she just announced that she is going on maternity leave the month before I retire. The person who used to do all of the retirements retired herself about a year ago (so that is why a pregnant receptionist is handling my paperwork).

Simultaneously my agency (in its infinite wisdom) decided that they would not permit me to attend the yearly pre-retirement training seminar last December because I attended it previously. In the past, those who were close to retirement had first priority and we were encouraged to attend repeatedly since federal retirement can be so complex, but the policy changed without warning. Suddenly, first priority was assigned to those who weren't interested enough to attend and have >10 years to go. However, they have plenty of money to send anybody who wants to go (even me) to a leadership and career development seminar next week. :mad: No, I'm not going...

I will be SO glad to retire and be done with this kind of foolishness! But then, you knew that. :2funny:

Last edited:
DW returns from her trip to Sweden tonight, and I am reminded of the Andy Griffith episode in which Aunt Bea returns from a trip. Remember that one?

DW returns from her trip to Sweden tonight, and I am reminded of the Andy Griffith episode in which Aunt Bea returns from a trip. Remember that one?
Yeah...I think I know the one you're talking about. You have to leave things a little messy....;)

Yeah...I think I know the one you're talking about. You have to leave things a little messy....;)

Yes, that's right. Pretty funny that this stuff is stored in our brains.

Aunt Bea comes home from a trip and the house is neat and clean. Andy notices her unease, so he an Opie go into the kitchen and make it really messy. When Aunt Bea goes in there, she is happy again, because she feels needed.

Double header - 2 days in a row out and about. Got a lot of errands done, had lunch with friends and dh2b, and visited my best friend's father who had decided to become a voluntary shut-in way before his time. Argh!
He was very glad for the company and we talked for 4 hours. He states he just does not want to go out and about.
I'm gonna w*rk on that, gently...I need to think of an offer :flowers: he can't refuse.

I have spent the week with my 18 month old grandson . How can a pint size kid have soooo much energy ? I feel like I've been in boot camp .

Had a cat scan and a bone scan today. Bummer.
Barium sulfate smoothie for breakfast. Yuck! Then you go for the scan and the technician comes in with a lead box emblazoned with radiation warning stickers, opens it, and takes out a syringe that has a 1/4" thick lead protective sheath around it and you think: Holy cr@p! They are going to inject me with that stuff! Glow in the dark time.
Before the cat scan came more barium to drink, then barium pudding, designed especially to coat your mouth and throat with slimy gunk. Then they hook you up to an iodine IV for the scan. Four hours later you come back for the bone scan.
So here I am, filled with barium, technesium, and iodine.
I need a drink.

Laundry, visited my garden and picked green beans, talked to my fledgling grapevines, surfed. :LOL:
I made a nice meal tonight instead of leftovers: I made fresh eggplant and yellow squash brushed with olive oil on the grill, sauteed fresh green beans, fried butterfly shrimp, fresh tomato wedges with basil and marinated in olive oil from Mykonos, homemade potato salad for some man who hates eggplant and squash :rolleyes: in any form.
Sitting here digesting while some man watches Stargate on the SciFi channel.

Newsflash: A high pressure system will bring sunshine and NO RAIN all weekend.
Temps will be in the high 80s and low 90s. Summer is actually here. Going boating...:greetings10:

IP...I think I'll have a drink for ya...you poor thing...:(

What I did today...not much. Got out of bed around 10 a.m. A friend came over so DH could show him how to do certain maintenance jobs on his bike; his wife came with him. We yammered away about nothing, then when the guys were finished, the couple offered to take us to lunch. We cleaned up, they came by a bit later and off we went to a cafe.

Ate too much, got sleepy but had to go to the grocery store.

The rest of the day....did nothing...and it felt good. :)

DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK. She attributes it to riding under the influence of jet lag. She's not sure what happened, just that she was going around a curve, saw the curb and thought OMG I'm going to hit it. Perhaps OMG followed by WTF.

Luckily nothing broken only some pretty bad road rash (gory photos here (after initial cleanup) and here (today)). Someone else did the initial cleaning while I rode home to get the car. I'm a little worried that there's some sand or gravel still in there.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, but I think that after today I won't put any more bandages on it. I have to wear hearing protectors when I change the bandages.

DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK. She attributes it to riding under the influence of jet lag. She's not sure what happened, just that she was going around a curve, saw the curb and thought OMG I'm going to hit it. Perhaps OMG followed by WTF.

Luckily nothing broken only some pretty bad road rash (gory photos here (after initial cleanup) and here (today)). Someone else did the initial cleaning while I rode home to get the car. I'm a little worried that there's some sand or gravel still in there.

I'm getting conflicting info on the web, but I think that after today I won't put any more bandages on it. I have to wear hearing protectors when I change the bandages.

Al, all I can say is OUCH!!!

Even so, I'll bet you are so glad that she is home with you. You really missed her. :)

Al,that looks sore . I would let it air while she is home . Hopefully on the couch with a pillow under her leg and you feeding her peeled grapes . If she's going out I would put a light dressing on it to protect it from infection .

DW had a crash on her bike Friday afternoon, after returning from Sweden at 12:03 AM. She's OK.
Nasty looking injuries. Sheesh! :( Glad she has a good nurse (you) to tend to her.
Definitely a trip to the doc is in order for a double check on road stuff still in there. He will probably Rx an antibiotic and/or pain relief. :'(
I know I would want both if my nerve endings were attached to those limbs.

Ouch!

T-Al, has DW had her tetanus shots?
If you see yellow pus, or read streaks going up the limb, or if DW is feverish, get her to the ER, eh?

Sunday lineup...hot tub hydrotherapy session ;) in the fog at sunrise, breakfast pizza takeout, boat ride on the lake including some man :rolleyes: pushing it up to 46 mph in "glass" lake conditions, a nice cool swim, a cheesburger with all the trimmings, ice cream for dessert.
All this by noon. :D
Getting PDH (pretty darn hot) here at 94F and brilliant sunshine. I have all the fans running and a dampened dishtowel around my neck. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
Summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime...:cool:

Just got home after midnight after an emergency filled evening at the hospital. Missed the season premiere of Mad Men Season 3. :(

Hope I'm not too late - keep the wound wet! Do not let it dry out and scab over. Use Tegaderm or some similar type of bandage. It will heal much better with less chance of scarring. This is the way professional cyclist treat road rash. Hope she heals quickly with no complications.

Busy day.

Got up, had tea, did my five miles, had breakfast, then...

Installed a switched outlet off a lighting circuit in the kitchen, fishing wires here and there. Then, installed a set of low voltage under-cabinet lights.

I can't believe we went over 20 years without these. Finally I can see what I'm doing. :LOL:

Up at o'dark thirty again...saw the sunrise with coffee. Did some laundry, vacuumed screened porch (dog hair), did dishes, surfed, then went to lunch with dh2b. Return trip included some short distance 'Stangin :cool: with the top down, windows up and AC on.
I went on strike from TTD (things to do) and watched the thermometer climb to 96F with 85% humidity - I sat and "cooked" all day. :(
We installed the bedroom window AC unit tonight. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...:D

Worked at the p.d. this morning. It was much better today than the previous weeks. No one yelled at me...'course it might have had something to do with the fact there was training today. All morning long I had bald, no-neck, one-eyebrow, plain clothes guys with pistols hanging at their hip parading in front of me. :LOL: Normally, I'm in my area alone.

Then, DH and I had our hair cut. We really, really wanted long hair and we had it, but it was just too hot.

I'm pecking around on the forum as DH washes the bike. We may go for an early morning ride tomorrow. That is...if I get up early enough. :blush:

I had a most enjoyable conversation with a tourist at my favorite seafood bar in the Public Market. She was a retired C-130 mechanic originally from Alaska but now living in Pensacola. Her family Homesteaded in Alaska in the 70s when she was a teenager. Her Grandad was the first to survey Anchorage. She was here to visit her new Grand-Daughter living with Mom and Dad in the Navy at Whidby Naval Airstation. She really impressed me because she was eating 3 servings of steamed clams, a truly Gargantuan feat as one serving has kept me full for seven hours. She said she loves clams but that they cost too much in Florida. She wanted to eat some raw fish in a medium priced place so I sent her to Uwajimaya in the International District, a short free bus ride a few minutes away via the bus tunnel. I hope she enjoys it, I definitely enjoyed talking with her.

Ha

I just BS'ed here all day, joking, teasing people.
I don't know what got to me.
I don't remember how many posts I did today.
Maybe tomorrow I will stop.

Oh, I remember now how I got in a good mood. I passed a huge kidney stone over the weekend that had hurt me for more than 2 weeks.

She said she loves clams but that they cost too much in Florida. She wanted to eat some raw fish in a medium priced place so I sent her to Uwajimaya in the International District, a short free bus ride a few minutes away via the bus tunnel. I hope she enjoys it, I definitely enjoyed talking with her.

Ha

Then she needs to visit Cedar Key ,Florida , That is where they harvest the clams .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom