what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the camera would help that much with backing up in tight places. It would serve more as a reminder that there might be "things" back there that I might overlook. And then, eventually, same as everyone else, I will need assurance that the toad I tow is still back there, and I do not have to backtrack 200 mi looking for it somewhere on the highway shoulders.

Traveling alone a lot I have found the backup camera invaluable.

OK. So, I did the right thing by making it top priority. It still does not cover the rear corners of the RV however, and I will have to rely on the door mirrors. It is highly unlikely that I will travel alone, and I already have walkie talkies for DW to give guidance.

I already have walkie talkies for DW to give guidance.
Please be aware giving (and taking) directions while backing is not something that comes naturally to many of us. ("Left? Is that your left or my left?") Based on experience, I strongly recommend following the advice of a former US President and [-]get out and take a look[/-] "Trust, but verify...at least until you both get [-]divorced[/-] proficient. :)

We have a system worked out that works for us when backing. I suggest that you agree what instructions from the spotter mean exactly before you start backing. And take it slow. Should not be a problem, especially if you are patient and start over if it isn't working.

Just got back from a 3 hour hike with the local Sierra Club. Fun day and beautiful weather!

That's great to hear. I lead hikes with our local Sierra Club and like to promote it when I can. Good clean fun and we only charge a dollar (to offset mailing and liability insurance).

That's great to hear. I lead hikes with our local Sierra Club and like to promote it when I can. Good clean fun and we only charge a dollar (to offset mailing and liability insurance).
That’s wonderful volunteer work, Travelover. I took two Sierra Club bus tours years ago. They can be great for getting around without a car or reducing your vehicle usage. The ones I took met at a central place with lots of parking & public transit and lasted a full day. I went with a friend but the bus was full and we had to sit apart, so we both got to know other people; it was my first introduction to bird watching enthusiasts. Highly recommended.

Hiking With the In Crowd

But tagging along with a local walking club on one of its scheduled outings is, for my money, a safer, surer way to see the very best of a place.

For a donation of a few dollars, or sometimes just for the asking, you'll get a tested route, plus companions who will keep you away from busy roads, point out not-to-be-missed attractions that only locals know about, and dispense advice on where to stop for a memorable snack. Club walkers tend to be over 50.

We have a system worked out that works for us when backing. I suggest that you agree what instructions from the spotter mean exactly before you start backing. And take it slow. Should not be a problem, especially if you are patient and start over if it isn't working.

I do trailering alone often. DW is not a camper type. Have lots of backing up experience with trailer, with or without guide. Also with motorhome.

When helpers are guiding, seems obvious, you should be able to see them from rear view mirror. Likewise, if they can't see you in the mirror they need to understand that you can't see them either. So stop, until visual is established. You may find radio chatter far too distracting.

Hand signals should always refer to where the rear end of coach/trailer should be going. Be sure you and helper look UP to find low overhead clearences. (Ask Martha :whistle:). Before parking, if under trees check for low and weak/dead limbs. If a storm comes up you may find interesting views through the roof.

When in doubt STOP. Get out and look for yourself. This may tick off whoever is guiding, but cheaper than fixing stuff. Practice.

I did not try to back up an RV. :cool: Reading these RV posts makes me happy I just have an 18' powerboat and trailer to deal with. Whew! :whistle:

I finished my decluttering pile. :clap:
I found a still w*rking Garmin GPSMAP 276C unit and a handheld marine radio that have sat unused since the sailing days of my past life. I thought about donating them as teaching aides to the local US Power Squadron. It turns out that a fellow boater at dh2b's w*rkplace is very interested in buying them. I'll let him make me a cash offer on the pair. :D

Went for coffee and breakfast with the gang at BK, came home and called to check on an order (will be delivered tomorrow), ran a few errands, then came home and had a ham, egg & cheese sandwich for lunch.

After lunch I went to a telenet class on morel mushrooms put on by the University of Illinois Extension. Then made a quick trip to the farm store to pick up some veggie and flower seeds, and a fancy glazed planter. Then back to the Extension office to drop off some seeds for the guy in charge, and also to chat with him for a while. Headed home and made a coffee stop on the way. Then headed out for supper at the local Mexican cantina.

Spring's really gettin' close!!! Only 11 days to go!!! :flowers:

Bought some lawn fertilizer from the local big box store and for about the third time, looked at a neat tool, a Milwaukee digital inspection camera:

Milwaukee 2300-20 M12 12V Cordless Alkaline M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera

Since I'm about to undertake some wiring in the house to add an outlet for the laser printer (it draws enough power that it needs its own outlet) and there have been so many times in the past when it would have been useful. Look under the refrigerator, inside a car door panel, inside the furnace heat exchanger, behind the dresser, etc. Found it online for $99 and ordered it.

I told DW that we could save money doing our own colonoscopies. She was not amused.:LOL:

Spied this fellow on today's walk. Whatbird says that Yellow-rumped warblers winter here, but we didn't see any until last week which makes me think they are just passing through on the way north.
Yellow rumped warbler.jpg

Temperature 62 F so I had to go for a bike ride:

Attachments

• Antitam 2010-03-10 001.JPG
    Antitam 2010-03-10 001.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 3
Made it most of the way through a 400 page SEC filing. Now to entertain the kids by myself as DW will be at a dress rehearsal for her choir.

Oh what a great day I had...Chinese buffet with the usual crew, coffee with a friend, very short grocery shopping and drug store stops, then home again home again hippity hop.
Sounds boring, huh ?
It was the SUNSHINE and mid 50s temps that put the cherry on top of the day. All I needed was a very light jacket. :D
I also bought two gorgeous orange canna lily bulbs to start indoors for the two large planters I place on my front steps. I have a very short growing season so I have to get a jump on sprouting them.

I went down to the C&O Canal to have my first Bike Patrol volunteer training ride. We went 17 miles and I'm tired! And my tush is sore. Afterwards, I went to REI and bought some gel seated pants with the gift card I got for my retirement. I'm going to love this little volunteer gig. But I need to get back into cycling shape...

It will be good for me. And I like cycling.

The day was nice - upper 50s with a cloud cover for the most part. Now I feel like sleeping.

Went for breakfast with the gang at BK again this morning. Then came home and enjoyed the beautiful weather....sunny and 64°....NICE!!! Sat out on the patio and watched the birds, and cleaned up a few of our many gardens and put the debris on the compost pile.

Over all....another fabulous day in the neighborhood!

Life is GREAT!!!:flowers:

I had a nice day. Went dancing around noon. Went downtown to renew my driver's license, an interesting experience. Very crowded, the woman sitting next to me showed me her former license, "When I still had teeth." She described her breakfast, complete with poutine, steak, and eggs that she had earned panhandling on Market Street in Ballard. She assumed that I knew the dive on Ballard Avenue where she ate. To my uneasiness, I did know this establishment from eating many meals there myself. Then she said she would give me her low DOL service number if I took her across the street, let her pee and bought her a drink. I passed on this generous offer. Then she introduced herself and asked my name. "Ha". Oh she said, that's the name of the guy who drowned my friend by throwing her off a boat in Fisherman's Terminal. "Different Ha", I said. I must have looked hungry, because she then said she had food stamps and she would buy me some food if I went across the street with her. Then her number was called and she was gone from my life.

Next I had my eye exam. First time since I was 16 that I passed the eye exam and did not get a glasses restriction on my license.

Tonight I went to Happy Hour with a son. So great to see him. He told me that he was so glad he was born and grew up in Washington. He feels that Seattle, Vancouver BC, Portland and San Francisco are the only North American cities that would afford him the professional, city, social and recreational opportunities that he needs in life, with San Francisco being marginal because of the distance to mountains. He also told me that his older brother got a huge promotion. My sons love each other very much, and I am very proud to see this, as helping to foster this relationship was always one of my main goals as a father. I have been only moderately successful at best in many areas, but the father thing has gone very well.

Ha

I made several salads and two large batches of soup.
Walked around the yard and looked at all the plants and buds showing up for spring.

Walked around the yard and looked at all the plants and buds showing up for spring.

I did the very same thing today. In fact, it is one of the things I just love about this time of year - the promise of what's to come. The weather was warm and it was so pleasant out that I actually ended up weeding some of the front beds for an hour or so. It felt really good to be doing that!

I had a really great session with my new life coach. :D This lady reads me like a book. She is asking me a lot of very tough questions and helping me explore options so I can resolve some mental restlessness issues. All good stuff! :clap:
Then I went to WalMart. :nonono:
It actually wasn't too crowded or noisy at 1 PM. I was in and out of there like a hot knife goes through butter. I decided to be silly and bought myself a cute mascot for the passenger seat of my mid life crisis car. The sunglasses were a last minute add-on.
Still trying to think of a "good name" for my new little friend....;)

Attachments

• puppy.jpg
    puppy.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom