what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I took my Mom out for her 83rd birthday (today) to the Cajun restaurant down the road a piece. She had shrimps, gator, and gumbo....a big hug from Ron (the owner & chef)...and a piece of their homemade pecan pie with a candle on top....oh, and the whole place (workers and customers) singing 'Happy Birthday' to her! I had a mess o' boiled crawfish, blackened gator, red beans & rice, gumbo, and a huge helpin' of Amy's homemade blackberry bread puddin'....Oh, so good!!!

Everything there is wonderful! Ron drives down to Lake Charles, LA, visits his Mom & Dad, and then buys the gator and shrimps and everything fresh, and then hauls a$$ back up here to cook it up and serve it up!!!

This morning I took her out for breakfast, and then we hit some garage and yard sales....saw a lot of waaaaaay over-priced [-]junk[/-] junque! I bought a couple of things for decoration out in my gardens, and they were being sold for 1/2 off the marked price...because as the lady said "Everything's 1/2 what it's marked 'cause I wanna get rid of it....I'm tired of movin' this crap around!"

Now, I'm heading down the street to our neighborhood butcher shop to get something for grillin' tomorrow! :greetings10:

I went to Seattle Folklife, one of my favorite events of the year. It was cold and cloudy as usual, but the weather really does not detract. It is always held over Memorial Day Weekend for four days and evenings. I have been going most every year for about 15 years. It is very lo-key with lots of participatory events. For me, this mostly means dancing. A lot of good dancers and many beginners show up for the various dance styles. I split the time between Zydeco and Argentine Tango.

Today I danced with a Swiss woman who times her yearly visit to Seattle to come to Folklife, a woman from Brooklyn, several from Portland and many old friends and acquaintances from here. One Zydeco dancer paid me a dancer's compliment-"I don't really remember your name, and I am not sure about your face, but when we started dancing I sure remember you.” I think it may be that more than some other people good dancers feel and experience life physically and kinesthetically. Obviously this is also true of musicians.

I am a so-so tango dancer, but I enjoyed dancing with my regular partner. Beginners really didn't dance in this; Argentine Tango makes you feel intimidated if you haven't reached a certain competence. The key is not taking a hundred lessons and memorizing 100 steps, it is learning how the dance is structured, and understanding and loving the rhythms. I think this is kind of a lifetime work, as the elements do not come real easily. You just keep doing it and paying attention to the music, to your own body and to your partner's body, and pretty soon you have learned another level. One of the orchestras today played highly syncopated and exciting music, including some of Astor Piazolla which I never understood well enough to dance before today.

I knew guys who went to classes for years, and never worked up the nerve to go to a dance. The Swiss woman I met dancing Zydeco said that in Zurich the tango community is so snotty that they do not welcome her, and if she attends dances she is just ignored. She is a quite pretty middle aged woman and in Seattle she would be welcomed with open arms. But Seattle is special that way; in my opinion the best.

There are also many good musicians busking, some drumming, some little groups playing and singing bluegrass. A few of these groups had cloggers. Grass is prominent part of the festival too- the Center grounds smell really mellow.

Afterward I had a middle eastern chicken salad which was huge and really satisfying. Seattle Center is working up to the fiftieth anniversary of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, which was when the Space Needle and Monorail and maybe all of Seattle Center were built. The display made me feel kind of emotional. Seattle Center was only a few years old when I first came here and it still had a lot of rides for adults as well as for children. One I remember my group really liked- kind of a centrifuge. We would get stoned and ride that thing. The girls would get their skirts stuck up over their heads and none of us could stop laughing.

Anyway, it was great. I will be back tomorrow and maybe Monday depending on what is going on Monday. And I hope that I will be going for many more years, and dancing with Rose from Zurich and many others too.

Ha

DH and I went to a black light dance party last night. Soooooo fun! I went as starry night.

Attachments

• Cosmic Party May 2010 005.jpg
    Cosmic Party May 2010 005.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 9
You can file me under "Loafer" this morning. In a little bit I will have to begin washing and chopping fresh fruit for a salad to take to a barbecue at my friend's daughter's later today.

Went with DH to the Strip District in Pittsburgh, yesterday. Love browsing all the shops and all the different smells. Ate at the Primanti Brothers for lunch, DH had Pizza Bread from a vendor, chocolate covered raisins from the chocolate shop. We shared Almond Biscotti, Cranberry, blueberry scone from a bakery and shared a hot donut from Peace, Love and Donuts and had coffee. We watched four tortillas being made and bought a bag and also purchased some fruit from the fruit market. We really went off watching our weight yesterday. We stopped at the Outlets on the way back and DH bought a new belt (he had to punch holes in his old one, since he lost weight). We were at the outlets for probably 20-30 minutes.

We spent the evening with my sister and her spouse and her family (nephew, his DW and 2 young sons were in from VA) up on a hill in the country in PA having a weiner roast. Lots of good food and of course smores for dessert, good company, kids running around having fun and looking at the stars. Life is good.

Went with DH to the Strip District in Pittsburgh, yesterday. Love browsing all the shops and all the different smells. Ate at the Primanti Brothers for lunch, DH had Pizza Bread from a vendor, chocolate covered raisins from the chocolate shop. We shared Almond Biscotti, Cranberry, blueberry scone from a bakery and shared a hot donut from Peace, Love and Donuts and had coffee. We watched four tortillas being made and bought a bag and also purchased some fruit from the fruit market. We really went off watching our weight yesterday. We stopped at the Outlets on the way back and DH bought a new belt (he had to punch holes in his old one, since he lost weight). We were at the outlets for probably 20-30 minutes.

We spent the evening with my sister and her spouse and her family (nephew, his DW and 2 young sons were in from VA) up on a hill in the country in PA having a weiner roast. Lots of good food and of course smores for dessert, good company, kids running around having fun and looking at the stars. Life is good.

That sounds like a wonderful day indeed! I really need to check out the Strip District sometime when we are back in western PA.

That sounds like a wonderful day indeed! I really need to check out the Strip District sometime when we are back in western PA.

The Strip District is great! Thus said, I only get down there once or twice a year even though I could drive into town in about 45 minutes. Don't go on a Sunday, almost everything will be closed. Best times are Mon-Sat. mornings. The Heinz History Museum is nearby, on Smallman Street, and I would highly recommend it. My favorite places are Wholey's(for fish), Penzey's(for spices), the chocolate store(mentioned by Dreamer), Sunseri's and the Macaroni Co.(for just about everything). There are also lots of kitchen ware stores, flower shops, etc. It is Pittsburgh's version of Les Halles.

Today we did the usual - but then the unusual happened.

DW and I had lunch at our favorite mom & pop Chinese restaurant, located in a strip center in a small bedroom community on the outskirts of San Antonio. We got there a little early (11:30) and sat across from one another in one of the booths along the front windows. We were the only customers and had a quiet lunch talking with the owners and their 13 year old son who helps out waiting tables.

We were eating our fortune cookies when DW looked over my left shoulder and said a cop had pulled over a pickup truck and it had stopped in the parking lot directly front of the business next door. She continued to watch for a second, then her eyes got wide and she scrambled out of the booth yelling "He's got a gun and he's pointing it this way!".

She can still move pretty fast when she feels like it and she was already at the back of the restaurant explaining to the owners what was going on by the time I got there. The cop had drawn his weapon and was pointing it at the stopped vehicle - where we were sitting was directly in the line of fire, 50 feet from the cop.

We began to hear sirens as other law enforcement folks responded. The restaurant owner (Pop) duck-walked his way to the entrance and locked the front doors. He said there were now several cops with weapons pointed at the truck.

We crept along the side wall of the restaurant and peeked out the front window to watch six cops surround the vehicle, all pointing their weapons at the driver. We couldn't hear what they were telling him, but they opened the driver's door, pulled the guy out, searched and handcuffed him before placing him in the back of one of the police cars.

By that time there were a total of ten (10) police cars on scene from four separate law enforcement agencies. Two of them were from the sleepy community where this took place - probably the entire police force on duty that day. They'd brought along some serious firepower to the scene as they had pointed not only handguns but at least three shotguns and two rifles (AR-15's maybe?) at the driver in an effort to persuade him to cooperate.
Lunch and free entertainment.
img_941651_0_7dab5df9aa0afbe36d0aad4feb743f62.gif

My gosh, glad you and your DW are OK, REW! What a scary end to an otherwise pleasant-sounding lunch.

I, on the other hand, am still waiting for Frank to pick me up for lunch. He just called and said he had just awakened so it will be a little while longer. The thunderstorm made it easy to sleep late this morning.

I, on the other hand, am still waiting for Frank to pick me up for lunch. He just called and said he had just awakened so it will be a little while longer. The thunderstorm made it easy to sleep late this morning.

Do I understand correctly that he woke up at 2:30 pm?

Extra good time last night?

Ha

Do I understand correctly that he woke up at 2:30 pm?

Extra good time last night?

Ha

:D:D Sounds pretty good, doesn't it! :) But actually he just felt like he was coming down with something, so after going to bed at 4 AM (about average for him these days) he slept a long time.
I believe you meant to say "this afternoon", eh? :cool:
That, too. :blush:

Today we took our greyhound for her first canoe ride. It was either an act of faith or stupidity as at 70 pounds, she could easily tip the canoe if she got too crazy. She passed with flying colors, though and I think she'll be a good canoe dog. She didn't even mind wearing the silly life preserver. Later we took her for a wade, but she didn't want to swim. All in good time.

Today we took our greyhound for her first canoe ride. It was either an act of faith or stupidity as at 70 pounds, she could easily tip the canoe if she got too crazy. She passed with flying colors, though and I think she'll be a good canoe dog. She didn't even mind wearing the silly life preserver. Later we took her for a wade, but she didn't want to swim. All in good time.

A greyhound in a life preserver? Oh man, ya gotta post photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom