what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to go to a Greek festival in Syracuse NY, however the weather decided to kill that idea. :( Tomorrow perhaps...:D

I am logging onto Match.com on a daily basis and getting some free entertainment from some of the emails I am getting. No millionaires so far. :blush:

Let's see....yesterday I did nothing, as it was too hot and humid to be active outside, so I stayed in the A/C mostly and made a couple of coffee runs. Today it wasn't too hot but it was pretty humid, so I've stayed in th A/C mostly and made a couple of coffee runs. As for tomorrow....probably about the same game as yesterday and today! ;)

Well, we have what passes for a really hot day here. It's 93F outside. First day over 80 this year. That can only mean one thing.

Beach road trip!

DW and I headed out early to hit a farmers market maybe 20 miles in from the coast, loading up on fresh fruit and some veggies. We wandered through the town square, and had an early lunch. Then we headed out to the coast, stopping along the way to buy some bread. OK, technically, too much bread. Cheese, herb, potato fougasse, a baguette, sticky bun, and a nice white chocolate and strawberry scone.

This should tastefully counterpoint the healthiness of the veggies and fruit...

Then, we were off to Bodega for a beverage stop, then the beaches. 64F, a more reasonable summer temperature for us NorCal types. We finished off the afternoon with a nice, leisurely drive along Tomales Bay, and eventually home.

A lot of errands and garage sales today. Got a replacement watchband for my watch (by buying a defunct watch together with two 9V batteries and a calculator all for $1). Also and never-used steering wheel cover to replace our frayed one, and HD antenna to experiment to see if we can receive any over the air signals ($1 each). Also a nice Belkin iPod armband thingie for 10 cents for Lena's MP3 player.

My iPod touch is genuinely useful on these trips. Throughout the week I speak to-do items and shopping items into it, and check them off as completed. I can speak notes into it ("At Ace hardware Preen costs 18.99 for $5/pound"). At the library I use the IMDb app to decide which movies to borrow*. I recorded all the garage sales in geographical order before we left in the morning, a truly paperless system.

*There Will be Blood
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Crash
The Squid and the Whale
I Know Where I'm Going
ChungKing Express
Ace in the Hole
Rent
The Rapture

Started the day at the Farmers Market looking for fresh fruit. Still a bit early for the fruit from eastern Washiington. Then off to a walk in downtown Bellevue with a group I belong to, and lunch after.

Beautiful day in western Washington.

-- Rita

Attachments

• DSCF1998.jpg
    DSCF1998.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2004.jpg
    DSCF2004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2009.jpg
    DSCF2009.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 1
Movers just left. Whew. Not too bad. They broke a wooden knob off our armoire, but if I can't glue it back together, Ethan Allen probably has replacements.

We're gonna miss our tiny, funky, aerie on the alley. Oy vey.

Boy, am I tired.

I spent the afternoon lolling about the beautiful gardens of a nearby winery and berry farm. They had a bluegrass band playing, and my friends and I sipped a nice red and munched on assorted tidbits. I did pick up a bottle to go plus some fresh raspberries and raspberry vinaigrette. I felt like I was in Napa, not a farm in semi-rural PA. And I get to sleep in tomorrow as my office is closed in celebration of Flag Day! Life is good.

I hate moving. Every time we've done it I've sworn "never again" - thirteen times. :nonono:

For me it has been twenty-eight times as an adult in the U.S., only counting places where I lived with all my belongings for at least a few months. I just tallied them up a minute ago on my fingers and probably forgot about at least a dozen.

Moving can be a great adventure. Seriously, how can you not like the first night in a new place, sharing pizza while surrounded by a mountain of boxes, wondering where on earth you put the box with the bedding, and knowing that at least everything is in one place again? Still it is tiring and the breakage is sometimes heartbreaking. I love having a longtime home at last. :D

The weather wasn't too bad this morning, so today I started a bunch of different herb seeds and stuff, also finally got the zinnia seeds sown in their bed, and potted up a eucalyptus plant. This afternoon after another rain shower, it got sticky & muggy out again, so made my usual coffee runs and then stayed the A/C where it's nice and cool and dry!

Tomorrow starts with my routine stop at the Doc's for blood pressure check and stuff. He opens at 9, but I get there about 8:30, and I'm back home (or at the coffee shop) by 8:50. Then it's who knows what for the rest of the day! If it's fairly nice out, I'm going to try to get my 36 pepper plants planted out, and also a new hydrangea! :flowers:

We've got the 3 H's - hazy hot & humid. Yuck. So I turned on the AC. I cleaned up some of my workspaces & searched for my tools to start on the next phase of putting up molding so the house looks finished. Didn't have long enough sticks to hold it in place so back to home depot. I think I'm ready to start today. Another nasty hhh day so inside project will be good.

I got a nice surprise this morning when I went to the garden to dump my coffee. Grounds. There's a very pretty 3" red flower on a plant I let live because I didn't recognize its leaves as a weed. I'm happy I dint pull it but now I wonder where it came from.

I'm happy I dint pull it but now I wonder where it came from.

Do you ever have birds visit? Our garden (the back yard) would be devoid of flowering plants -- and trees -- if not for the kindly efforts of the birds. Well, the bees are very important also.

I treated myself to a new chain saw. I bought my last one new for $99 in 1984 and it still has the original bar, chain and sprocket, but it is starting to need other repairs. So I popped for a new Stihl for $200, which coincidentally, is $99 in 1984 dollars. :D This one will last me the rest of my life.

Went to the local flea market. Did not find anything. Walked down to the beach and along the seawalk to the dogs-off-leash beach, eventually made my way back through the village square. Watched kids playing in the pond. Temperature was only 19 degrees (66) but with the bright sunshine, it was comfortable.

Lots of people using the boat launching ramp. First time out for many boaters. Low tide made it a challenge for the bigger boats.

Most of the clothes I bought last week were on sale but not all of them. When I paid for my clothing I said something about they probably would go on sale next week. The clerk said if they do go on sale within 14 days of the sell date, that they would honor the sale price.

So, I went home and signed up on their web site for email sale notices. Today....ON SALE. Went back to the store and got a $60.00 credit.:ROFLMAO:

Started making plans for a road trip on Thursday. Going to visit relatives in Faribault Minnesota. From there to the Minnesota Street Rod Association Back to the 50s weekend which is, I think, the largest street rod show in the world at 11,500 cars last year.

Minnesota Street Rod Association

Most of the clothes I bought last week were on sale but not all of them. When I paid for my clothing I said something about they probably would go on sale next week. The clerk said if they do go on sale within 14 days of the sell date, that they would honor the sale price.

So, I went home and signed up on their web site for email sale notices. Today....ON SALE. Went back to the store and got a $60.00 credit.:ROFLMAO:

Score! :clap:

All of them since you mentioned how big your boobs were... :cool:
No...I think it's because I act like a boob.....

My day thus far....I rolled out of bed at 10:30, took a shower and am sipping a diet cherry Coke. Whew....I need to slow down.

I haven't managed to get going today either, but spent yesterday unpacking and going through old files. (yes, I know that it would have made more sense to clear out the old files before the move)

I had a couple of boxes of files from my parents. The labels looked important (deeds, wills, stuff like that) but I had never gone through them with a mind of discarding what was unnecessary.

Anyway, I came across a 1955 statement of my Dad's MegaCorp "Provident Fund" account. He was already well on his way to a good retirement even then. What a deal he had! 100% match of up to 10% of his salary - all in company stock though.

He contributed the max for 42 years and would have retired a rich man had he not panicked during the oil crisis in the Carter years and sold out at the low. It was a bad mistake, but he was right about one thing: that was pretty much the event that made folks realize that the era of cheap (Insanely cheap in retrospect. In my high school years, sweet Texas crude sold for $3.25 a barrel.) domestic fossil fuels was ending.

If I can find my round tuit I will continue unpacking today. But first, a coffee break.

I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank. At my favorite restaurant, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Special. This dish was sky high in calories but utterly unbelievable and completely worth it. We had a terrific afternoon together and just a cup of soup and small green salad for dinner after that lunch. Now that I am 62, I am officially old enough to be eligible for SS. I haven't claimed it yet, but it's kind of neat to know that I could at any time if I want to.

:dance:

Happy Birthday! :clap: My 62nd is this coming Sunday. And yes, very nice to know I could collect if I needed it. I'll be giving my 2 weeks' notice on Friday - it's a good pre-birthday present (for me, not for her). :D

Hmmmmm. Just realized I'm responding to a post from a week ago.... Oh well, happy b'day anyhow! Belated!

Congrats a few days early, thinker25! Nice gift to yourself, that giving notice on Friday!

Happy Birthday in advance, thinker25! I can't think of a better birthday present to give yourself for your 62nd birthday. :D :dance: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom