what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to spread them out. My repertoire of songs is finite you know, even if they are in multiple languages. When I run out, what do I do?

Took 5 gallons of DW's bottled water and brewed my first batch of beer. Also started phase II of my backyard renovation project - re-leveling patio, adding rock out-croppings and flagstone paths, and some plantings.

Finished power washing our 1350 sq.ft. rooftop patio. Black and green mold now all gone and normal color restored. I had to wait for some rain so the residents below did not complain about my overspray.

Celebrated by meeting a friend at a downtown pub after work. Rain had cleared away and sun was out. Summer has finally arrived!

Just got back from my Eureka Springs, AR trip…here are the highlights….

Nice to see hills again…lovely ride.
Did a lot of sweatin’.
Made the destination and met up with over a hundred bikers at the hotel…
Dined on crawfish etouffee, sausage, dirty rice, salad and watermelon…
I ate my first crawfish (in the shell). Two people had to instruct me on how to eat said crawfish. Evidentially I’m not good at suckin’, so I gave up after wrasslin’ with just two crawfish…
One of members of the biker’s association is a Catholic priest from Baton Rouge and he blessed our supper.
Met a couple of members that came all the way from Vancouver and Boston.
Enjoyed some JD and a few beers.
A State Trooper came to our room one night.
Rode a train that boasted a 1 hour ride…yep, it was an hour, but we went only 2 miles.
Contemplated getting a tattoo of a body piercing.
Sat around in a huge circle, passed around tequila, JD, smoked salmon, peanuts and cigars. I didn’t take a cigar.
Listened to some great music.
Enjoyed more JD and a few beers.
The same State Trooper came to our room again, but it was ok as he had a key.
Bought a HD biker tee shirt that is subtle on the front and evil on the back.
Hooked up with friends that live in the area and went to a fabulous restaurant. I don’t know what was more delicious, the wine and pork tenderloin or the way the waiter Franco said my name.
Said goodbye to my pals while lightning lit up the sky and lightning bugs lit up the trees.

I'm just downright tuckered out.....

:blink:........:LOL:

The criminal case of which I have been one of the jurors concluded today. It was my first trial case ever. It was a case where a defendant faced multiple serious charges ranging from endangerment, arson, aggravated assault, to conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first degree murder, etc... Alleged victims took the witness stand, as well as many witnesses called by the prosecution.

It was obvious to all jurors that the defendant was definitely guilty, but not of all the charges thrown on him. I took the responsibility seriously, hence lost a lot of sleep over this. It was stressful to argue back and forth with other antagonistic jurors over several individual charges. At times, I felt they were too soft on crime. On one charge, I was about to become a rogue juror, to cause a hung jury over just that charge. I knew that the prosecution would not bother to retry just that charge, hence it was simply to ease my conscience that I did the right thing.

Near the end, I decided to go along with the other jurors and not raised a ruckus, when I realized that the prosecution and defense do plea bargaining all the time. This means that from a practical standpoint, one should accept that absolute justice cannot be defined. One must be satisfied that a guilty defendant does not walk free, and that he might escape a few valid charges against him. The justice system is choked with cases, and I could not see myself causing troubles to add to that bottleneck.

What was so sad about this case was that the defendant, being a solidly middle-class citizen with a good job and good income, got himself in trouble by committing a pervert sexual act, and then compounding it with more crimes to cover it up, and ended up with attempted murder charges. How could someone be so stupid? It was all very sad.

Now that the case is over, I can describe it with complete details, but do not feel like writing more than the above. The sad evolution of this individual digging himself deeper and deeper might not be all that unusual to people dealing with crimes all the time. Still, it was all very sad for me and other jurors to see.

And by the way, the judge, prosecution, and counsel came over to the jury room afterwards to talk to us. The judge informed us that the defendant never made a serious attempt to plea bargain. Of course the prosecution bluffed him with all these charges initially, and then had to carry out the threat. It was a good thing for him that the jury did not find him guilty of all the charges, else he might spend the next few decades behind bar serving just the minimum time on each charge. He was pushing his luck all the time. How lucky do you feel, punk?

There is one thing unique about the AZ court system. The jurors are allowed to take notes. We then used our own notes during deliberation. I really do not know how one could remember all the details for a lengthy trial like this. We can also submit written questions while the witnesses are giving testimonies on the stand.

Now that I have my normal life back, I will continue to work on my RV to prepare for a longer trip. I may even do some w*rk to make a bit of money.

I knew you were up to something, by your recent drop in post count...but was afraid it was buying a third vacation home or a second RV, or just busy talking to annuity salesmen... It sounds like justice was served in this case. I was on a similar trial in WA about 20 years ago, we all decided that the defendant was guilty of being a dumb*ass loser, but not necessarily all the charges levied in this particular case. The star witness for the prosecution was the defendants one-time cell mate and subsequent "business partner"...After quite a bit of discussion, we found him guilty of burglary, and the judge levied the max sentence. It worked out.

Just got back from my Eureka Springs, AR trip…here are the highlights….

Nice to see hills again…lovely ride.
Did a lot of sweatin’.
Made the destination and met up with over a hundred bikers at the hotel…
Dined on crawfish etouffee, sausage, dirty rice, salad and watermelon…
I ate my first crawfish (in the shell). Two people had to instruct me on how to eat said crawfish. Evidentially I’m not good at suckin’, so I gave up after wrasslin’ with just two crawfish…
One of members of the biker’s association is a Catholic priest from Baton Rouge and he blessed our supper.
Met a couple of members that came all the way from Vancouver and Boston.
Enjoyed some JD and a few beers.
A State Trooper came to our room one night.
Rode a train that boasted a 1 hour ride…yep, it was an hour, but we went only 2 miles.
Contemplated getting a tattoo of a body piercing.
Sat around in a huge circle, passed around tequila, JD, smoked salmon, peanuts and cigars. I didn’t take a cigar.
Listened to some great music.
Enjoyed more JD and a few beers.
The same State Trooper came to our room again, but it was ok as he had a key.
Bought a HD biker tee shirt that is subtle on the front and evil on the back.
Hooked up with friends that live in the area and went to a fabulous restaurant. I don’t know what was more delicious, the wine and pork tenderloin or the way the waiter Franco said my name.
Said goodbye to my pals while lightning lit up the sky and lightning bugs lit up the trees.

I'm just downright tuckered out.....

:blink:........:LOL:

So, got a new avatar of shiny red lips suckin' on a mudbug? ;)

So, got a new avatar of shiny red lips suckin' on a mudbug? ;)
A few flashes went off while I was tryin' to eat them...I saw a couple of the pics...I can guarantee they will NOT be shown on this forum. :ROFLMAO:

Bleh.....I'm not gonna do that again.... :p

Had a good long e-mail talk with a shipmate (and his spouse) who's trying to visualize life after military retirement. They're another dual-military couple like us. He's coming up on the pre-retirement counseling of Ruehlin & TAP. The dialogue continues, but I think he's gettin' it.

Spouse and I spent a long time discussing the contrasts between their life and ours. They live in an upperclass suburb of a major metropolitan area, we live in a bedroom community. They have two stories of brick, six or seven bedrooms, five bathrooms, a basement, a pool, a quarter-acre lot, and a lot of expensive renovations & improvements. We... don't. (Well, OK, our master bedroom/bathroom is our second floor.) They have a mortgage payment two-thirds bigger than ours, and for all we can tell they may be upside-down-- especially considering the renovations. They have to heat & A/C the place nearly year-round while we have sweatshirts, ceiling fans, and solar water/electricity. They have painfully high property taxes & locality taxes in addition to sales, state, & federal taxes. We have about 3.5 mils of property tax and no locality tax.

They live in an environment where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least two retired flag officers, a half-dozen retired/important politicians, and high-earning professionals who all feel a compelling need to assess their relevance in terms of the number of hours of work they do each week and the amount of money they get paid for it. We live in an environment with Aloha Fridays, and where layoffs mean more time to surf because there'll always be another job.

Yet for some reason Hawaii is considered a high-cost area.

At least he surfs, so I suspect it's just a matter of time until he sorts it all out.

Put on clothes and made a trip to BestBuy. Spent money. Came home and took off clothes. Might make it through day without A/C

Today I noticed that the car next to me was drifting over into my lane. I honked, and when I looked over, I saw a woman who was texting. At the next traffic light, she missed the change to green.

I wonder whether a call to the cops would be a good idea in this situation. It's illegal but the fine is only $20.

Al, I've reported more than one driver for "driving erratically" and my suspicion they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They could have been texting for all I know, but no matter the reason I hoped the cops would pull them over to check them out.

:eek: How on earth do they fit all that on a quarter of an acre? The houses must be 3 inches apart!

Amethyst

They have two stories of brick, six or seven bedrooms, five bathrooms, a basement, a pool, a quarter-acre lot, .

Installed traverse rods and curtains in the master bedroom. Light blockers so I can sleep in later...

Got halfway through taking down a 25' river alder that the borers killed. :mad: I'll get the rest tomorrow.

Weekend duty moderator on another message board, so I had to skim all the posts. Thank goodness everybody over there is behaving! :whistle:

:eek: How on earth do they fit all that on a quarter of an acre? The houses must be 3 inches apart!
Sorry, I'm not real proficient at acres. Oahu lots are generally measured in square feet.

What I meant to say is that they have a quarter-acre of yard, so the house probably sits on about a half-acre lot. But if any of the surrounding neighbors fire up their lawnmowers or leaf blowers then poolside conversation has to move indoors to be heard.

Took care of my dog's injured paw all day, soaking in antiseptic solution, administering medications, worrrying about it, giving him treats, trying to make his life less onerous. The vet says if the redness, swelling and pain don't improve in a day or so, I have to bring him back for a x-ray to rule out a fractured toe. I have no idea how this happened. He was at the kennel for five days while I was out of town and the kennel said it was a ruptured absess. Hope that's all it is.

If anyone is wondering an acre is about 208 feet square.
43,560 sf
Both of those numbers are pretty rare on this island.

Rectangular lots are maybe 50-60 feet across the front and another 60-80 feet on the sides. Some of the two-story homes in the newer neighborhoods of Ewa are on just 4000 sq ft lots. Our rental property is a single-story structure on a zero-lot line of a 5400 sq ft lot, which is among the biggest in its neighborhood.

Our home, built at the awkward end of a cul-de-sac, is on a 15,688 sq ft lot. Only about half of it is flat and the rest is at least a 7% grade.

I don't think you see "acres" in a MLS listing until you're up near Waimanalo or on the Big Island.

So, 1/4 acre is about 43560/4 = 10890 square feet, or about a 100'x109' lot.

The 4000 square foot lots that Nords is talking about are about 1/11th acre in size, though his own lot is much larger (nearly 1/3 acre).

Sorry! This is my idea of fun on a Saturday night... :LOL: Frank is off participating in today's ham radio Field Day event (and I am not that interested in ham radio). I think I'll read for a while now that I've had my arithmetic exercise for the evening.

Post photos of you and your RV?

I think I might just post photos of my beautiful bride first. :whistle:

Should I ask her for permission? Nah, I know what the answer would be. :nonono:

Shall I do it anyway? What if she finds out? :bat: :hide:

Last night I flew halfway across the country in business class. Don't worry, I have not lost my frugal ways - I had an upgrade certificate. Because it was Saturday night there were very few passengers in business class and we had the full attention of a flight attendant. Dinner was excellent, the wine was palatable (and dispensed freely) and I enjoyed watching "Alice in Wonderland". "Off with her head!"

:cool:

Rode the bike about 7.25 mi. Grocery run; bought some "grass-fed" ground beef ($5/lb) to try. Watered the "garden", an exercise in futility.

Currently enjoying the 75 degree environs of mi casa. Outside temp 96F, [-]misery[/-] heat index 101...

Sitting in front of our woodstove-type fireplace. Had a fire this morning, and the fan is still pumping out the heat. 52 degrees outside this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom