what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent an hour on the phone with Amazon.com trying to figure out what the frak was going on.

Spent an hour on the phone with Amazon.com trying to figure out what the frak was going on.

Their customer service has been pretty good for me in the past. I hope they figured it out.

Today we talked to another consignment place and we were not happy with the terms offered to the sellers. So, we may be moving a few more pieces such as the one below.

The rest of the day is devoted to packing. I just spent an hour sealing some boxes that I had packed, and labeling each on four sides and the top. I just found some bedding that I forgot that I had, and extra bedding makes wonderful cushioning for fragile things. :clap: (With all my cheap but beloved sculptures, such as the one on the table below, I have a lot more fragile things to pack).

It amazes me how one person can end up with so much stuff! Frank has been amazed at how much he accumulated, too. Moving is a great time to cut back and to work towards a more minimalistic existence.

Attachments

• OrnateTable_sm.jpg
    OrnateTable_sm.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
I hate raccoons . We had two get into our attic . That was an ordeal getting them out . We rented a trap and opened up part of the siding . We then we put a chunk of peanut butter inside ( they love peanut butter ) and out they came . We didn't kill them even though I was thoroughly pissed because they kept me awake for two nights . we drove them miles out of town and let them loose .Last I saw they were headed for Texas !:)

Raccoons are not on my fav list right now either. They killed 26 of my chickens one night last week. Have not got the SOB yet.

Mushroom Pizza Voila!

I am SO proud of this creation...I had to post a photo.
I proudly present...NY style thin crust pizza
04.gif

I sauteed baby bella mushrooms in canola oil, and used frozen store bought (made by a local traditional Italian bakery) pizza dough.
No more homemade pizza dough for me. I'll glady pay for the pros' recipe.

I put TONS of mozz cheese on it. :blush:

It smells FABULOUS.

Attachments

• Pizza.jpg
    Pizza.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 157
04.gif

I sauteed baby bella mushrooms in canola oil, and used frozen store bought (made by a local traditional Italian bakery) pizza dough.

It smells FABULOUS.

All it needs is BACON!

I have no idea of how one would keep raccoons away in a humane manner.

You have inserted an unnecessary qualification ...:nonono:
Indeed. After all of the things that the little bastards have destroyed of mine I frequently have revenge fantasies that involve axle grease, electricity, barbed wire, little squeals of agony and the smell of burning fur.

Persistent little curses, you have to give them their due. The ranch foreman put some traps out in the barn and found one missing one morning. He followed the trail for almost half a mile until he found the trap, and a 'coon paw chewed off at the ankle, caught up in a fence line. I still have nightmares about meeting up with three legged racoon.

So far today I've done a little face pampering. I applied a peel-off masque...then later applied a cucumber and elastin gel. It felt so good.

Since then I've been scraping wallpaper off the sunroom walls. Scrape a little, then sip a frosty bev on the patio, scrape, sip, rinse and repeat..

Did some cleaning and tidying this morning. We have friends coming over tonight for dinner, and I'm the designated cook this time. So... BBQ is fired up, and I've trimmed and prepped some ribs St. Louis style and popped them in to smoke for several hours.

I haven't done BBQ ribs in about 35 years, but it's all coming back to me... Yum!

Last night we stayed in North Platte, Nebraska on our way home. We had planned to visit the Platte River of Nebraska around the end of October this year, (Those plans are probably out the window now because friends of ours booked (them and us) on an Amtrak trip from Reno NV to Annapolis MD around the same time.)

Anyway, the Sandhill Cranes are beginning to show up (Sandhill Crane Migration - Annual stop over at Platte River in Nebraska - Pictures - Video - Maps - Viewing Tips - Crane Info).

We were treated to the aerial acrobatics of about seven or eight flocks (8-10 birds each) of these huge (wide wing-span) birds on the hundred mile drive along the river. What an incredible sight... one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I have trouble keeping up with this thread.

Last night (Friday) I had a great gig with my trio at a newly opened restaurant. Here it is in 1905, when it was a saloon and whore house:

20100419__tcw_april20oberon_400.jpg

The best part was that the place had a piano, so I didn't have to take mine! It turned out to be a good piano (1903 Kimball) that was in tune. There was a small but appreciative audience, and it turned out to be one of my favorite gigs of all time. We'll be playing there regularly.

On Thursday, I'd been tired and was ready to fall asleep at 8:30, but Lena reminded me that that was the time at which my gig would be starting on Friday!

I recorded it, so you get to listen to the first song of the night (lucky you guys!): Cute And here's another for you jazz fans: On Green Dolphin Street.

I've found the antidote to the 35 minute car ride: Car Talk Podcasts on my iPod Touch.

I left the car outside when I got home at midnight, so as not to wake up Lena with the garage door opener. And I used the iPod flashlight app to find the side door in the dark.

04.gif

It smells FABULOUS.

it looks very good. It seems pretty much like the wonderful thin crust pizza in New England, which IMO is as good as pizza can get. I think is is the only thing that could make me cheat on my low carb eating plan.

Ha

Did some cleaning and tidying this morning. We have friends coming over tonight for dinner, and I'm the designated cook this time. So... BBQ is fired up, and I've trimmed and prepped some ribs St. Louis style and popped them in to smoke for several hours.

I haven't done BBQ ribs in about 35 years, but it's all coming back to me... Yum!

Cou you tell us the recipe, and your technique in detail?

It sounds very good.

Ha

Anyway, the Sandhill Cranes are beginning to show up (Sandhill Crane Migration - Annual stop over at Platte River in Nebraska - Pictures - Video - Maps - Viewing Tips - Crane Info).

We were treated to the aerial acrobatics of about seven or eight flocks (8-10 birds each) of these huge (wide wing-span) birds on the hundred mile drive along the river. What an incredible sight... one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I really need to see the cranes some day. Maybe next spring.

Last night we stayed in North Platte, Nebraska on our way home. We had planned to visit the Platte River of Nebraska around the end of October this year, (Those plans are probably out the window now because friends of ours booked (them and us) on an Amtrak trip from Reno NV to Annapolis MD around the same time.)

We have them nest not far from where I grew up. Last time I went out birding I didn't see any. So maybe they are starting to bug out. Not a bad idea as our sandhill crane hunting season starts soon.

Did you stay in that sweet little campground by the sweet little community zoo?

Last edited:
It amazes me how one person can end up with so much stuff! Frank has been amazed at how much he accumulated, too. Moving is a great time to cut back and to work towards a more minimalistic existence.

So true. We seem to fill up whatever space we have. I need to do the same thing - get rid of all that junk I never use.

Such a beautiful day today after another hot week. I took the new dog out to the canal for a walking bike patrol and some training. She needs to learn some self control but I have to remember she is only 5 1/2 months old. She's very friendly to every one she met. She went a little nuts at the river - bucking like a bronco as she made little dashes into the water. I got a 100' rope on a cord windup reel so she could have some running space without losing control over her. Apparently, it isn't enough. :angel: But she is tired tonight. A tired dog is a good dog. So much for mowing my grass today.

So far I've had a wonderful weekend and its just Sat.
Late last night I can home from the grocery store and a great horned owl flew down right in front of my heads lights. I stopped to watch and he/she flew back up into the trees. I guess the owl was getting dinner (mouse or something). Pretty neat, not something you see everyday where I live.
Then today the weather was rather cool and low humidity. Something we haven't seen/felt in months. I got up and began to cook on the grill. I did hamburgers, hot dogs, whole chickens, rib eye steaks and whole ears of corn still in the husk. The wife was doing her thing with all kinds of veggies in the house at the same time. As you can imagine we had a feast.
Now settling down and enjoying the evening.
Time to rest but a great time in deed.
Steve
PS. I checked out trombone al's music post. Neat stuff, must be a really talented guy. Love the music. I wish he would tell me more about himself and how many instuments he plays. Come on Al inform me. All the other folks know but I'm in the dark here.

PS. I checked out trombone al's music post. Neat stuff, must be a really talented guy. Love the music. I wish he would tell me more about himself and how many instuments he plays. Come on Al inform me. All the other folks know but I'm in the dark here.

Agree! I hear a trio, and Al's piano is superb, as are that outstanding bassist and the drummer. The second tune (On Green Dolphin St) is a tour de force as you start with what sounds like a bossa nova, which morphs to swing time then straight->swing etc. Then you appear to return to a more complex Brazilian sounding rhythm that the drummer has beautifully grooved. Your clubs up there must attract a pretty sophisticated clientele. :)

Ha

Cou you tell us the recipe, and your technique in detail?

It sounds very good.

Ha

Heh. They were delicious.

Equipment:
Weber BBQ

The setup:
I loaded a chimney starter in the Weber with a little paper and around 60 charcoal briquets, and got the coals started. The coals were dumped in a pile on one side of the BBQ, so there'd be none under the ribs. Set aside another 20 or so briquets to re-stoke the fire in a few hours.

The stuff:
3 lbs pork ribs, butcher cut, or about 2 3/4 lbs St Louis style.
1 beer
4 tablespoons spicy mustard (I used Beaver honey mustard this time)
Several tablespoons of your favorite rub (optional)
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (Also optional; Commando style ribs can be good)
6 feet of aluminum foil.
2" deep pan filled with water. (I use a cheap aluminum pan. This is just to provide moisture, and we won't be cooking anything in it.)
Smoking wood chips if desired. I like apple or cherry.

Trim butcher cut ribs, removing the 'flap' so the ribs have an even thickness. Save the trimmings. Remove the membrane on the bone side. I use a knife to tease one corner up, and then just grab with a paper towel and tug it off.

Rub down the ribs and trimmings with the mustard in a thin coat. Dust the ribs with your favorite rub if you like.

Cooking the ribs:

The ribs are going to be cooking for a bit over 4 hours. We'll be cooking with just the BBQ heat for 2 hours, then about 45 minutes with the Texas Cheat, and then another hour or so to finish.

The coals should be ready back at the BBQ. Set the pan with water over the coals, on one side of the grill. On the other side, lay down the ribs, bone side down. Close the cover vent about halfway, and close the bottom vent about halfway. The idea is to keep a fire going with the temperature just over the meat at 225 F. I usually set a thermometer atop the ribs.

If you are using wood chips for smoking, start these as you start the ribs, topping up occasionally during the first hour of cooking. Past that, the meat is sealed by the heat, and more smoke will just scent the neighborhood.

After 2 hours, we move the ribs to the Texas Cheat. Fold that 6 feet of foil in half, to get a double thickness, and then form it into a sort of shallow pan. Carefully place the ribs on the foil so as to avoid puncturing the foil. Open the beer and pour half of it into the foil 'pan', avoiding pouring directly on the ribs and messing up that lovely glaze. Wrap the foil around the ribs and pinch closed, so as to hold in the liquid and steam. Place the wrapped ribs back on the grill, and cover the grill. This step helps finish the cooking, and keeps the meat nice and moist. Temperature above the wrapped ribs should still be around 225 F. Drink the remaining beer, and re-stoke the fire with the reserved briquets as needed.

After 45 minutes, take the ribs out of the foil, and put them back on the grill, still bone side down, and cover the grill. We still want the temperature just over the meat at 225 F. This will dry off the outside of the ribs.

Cooking is done at this point, and it's time to dress the ribs with BBQ sauce. Remove the water pan from over the coals. Mop a thin coat of BBQ sauce onto the ribs, and flip them over so the meaty side is down and over the coals. Mop a thin coat of sauce onto the bone side. Flip and finish as soon as the sauce on the bottom side starts bubbling. Don't let it burn. Plate up the slab-O-meat, and serve.

Just about finished with the pocket-guide version of The Military Guide. Feels like editing with a chainsaw... 200+ 6"x9" pages cut down to 64 4"x5" pages. Eventually.

REWahoo, I'm sorry about the seal on the slideout. We have rats do that here for water, although it looks like your raccoons had to wear snorkel masks to work in that weather.

You guys are making me mighty happy that Hawaii lacks squirrels and raccoons. I can live with the occasional itty bitty brown scorpion.

One weekend, went to a wedding of the daughter of a friend of SO's... and whores doovers out the wazoo...
Ooookay. Gonna take me a long time to get rid of that mental image!

Did you stay in that sweet little campground by the sweet little community zoo?

We left Sioux City, Iowa about 2:00, with thoughts of stopping over in Valentine but, in the end, decided to drive on to North Platte. We arrived there about 7:00 and simply grabbed "Holiday RV Park' out of the Trailer Life book. (It was quite full, BTW -- holiday week-end) We did nothing more than eat dinner and watch a little TV before hitting the bed. The next morning (yesterday) we left about 7:30, which, because North Platte is on the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, was not very long after sunup.

Hunting?? Do these wonderful, beautiful creatures end up on the table or is this another of those "thrill of killing something" events?

...where is the recording of that vocalist you are always on about?

She is in burning man right now. Also, she is moving out of the area in about a month, so we are back to being a trio. A big drop in the average talent level of the group, but also a big drop in the hassle factor. She was OK for a 20-year-old, but she was still a 20-year-old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom