what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got up at 5AM, washed dishes (in the sink, with my bare hands), made several salads.

2 day report...

Last night...thanks to LSBCAL for making me think about rotting wet wood and critters ;)
I had a bunch of old wood sitting below my porch, supposedly to use for burning in my concrete fireplace. Well....2 years later, it was rotted and full of pinholes. So I cleaned it all out of there and burned :mad: it ALL.
...(snip)...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the firewood stuff Freebird. I'm still scratching my head on how to handle the wood pile. It'll have to be some combo of tarping and airing out. We cannot really do a wood shed on the property. Also have to watch out that the homeowners association doesn't disapprove of our wood pile solution. Anyway the stuff will not go in the garage this year!

And how much quality surfing and book-writin time are you going to sacrifice, not to mention wear and tear on your no-longer-all-that-resilient old bod?
Just askin...
I don't know which is worse-- digging up the sprinkler piping to do the work, or finding someone and then supervising them digging it up.

You're right, I have to learn how to let someone else do this sooner or later. This is certainly one of the better starting points.

I mowed the lawn and it started to rain slowly. The rain picked up. I speeded up. I sorta jogged even. I continued until the cuttings jammed up my mower. I know that I should not mow when the grass is wet, but this boy always has to learn the hard way. I guess I need to wait until it dries out to finish the job. Looks weird tho...only 1/2 cut.

The young wife and I just returned from observing Jupiter and Uranus through my telescope. Jupiter is now the closest to Earth since 1951 and Uranus is right next to it in the sky (<1 deg.) Viewing conditions were great, except for the pervasive light pollution in my area.

Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece! :LOL:

The local Salvation Army will take anything. They have a trailer out back of the building; just throw it in there, and leave real fast...

I may make "pot pie" size pies this year. I have several small foil tins hanging around.

Insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here...

Went to a pet adoption fair this morning sans kids and DW. Probably too early for us, but the remaining dog has cancer and a 6 to 12 month life expectancy, so if we do not want a house totally empty of dogs we need to start doing some thinking and then looking.

Good on you for adopting!

I have plenty of things I should be doing today, and I believe that I've succeeded in avoiding every one of them...

I've been procrastinating for months in finishing the last 10% or so of getting my house back in order after the great remodel of 2009-2010. Have managed to get moving on that, including, gasp argh, rounding up some [-]frivolous tchotchkes[/-] decorative items to fill some empty shelves, and buying a "collage picture frame" to consolidate the family photos.

Still have lots o' yard w*rk I've been putting off due to 100+ degree days since June. Yeah, that's it, the heat...

The young wife and I just returned from observing Jupiter and Uranus through my telescope.

Insert second Beavis and Butthead laughter here...

Mowed grass early this morning. Then cleaned up and drove out of town to try a new dermatologist. I like this one better, seems to be a more concerned type. Dug out a small spot on my face that he said had to be skin cancer, but felt the procedure would take care of it. Also froze a couple of spots. He is 50 miles away, but not a bad drive. Dropped by Petco on the way home for some mutt food. Forty three dollars for a bag of dog food. What is this world coming to? Oh yes, started a new round of antibiotics for a lung infection I didn't shake during the summer. Which means I will have to lay off my normal med's for a few days.:(

Time for a nap.

I went for lunch with a group of women who I met on meetup.com. It was a nice enough lunch, not sure if I see any life long friendships for me forming out of the group, however will probably go to one of their lunches again. The problem with moving as much as we do means we constantly have to look for new friends. I must admit as I get older I am less tolerant of BS so that thins out the potential friends pool rather rapidly.

North Shore surfing-- in September!

Dawn patrol was too quiet at Pu'a Ena point so I went up the road to Kammies, which came in at 6-10. I would've been better off with my bigger, slower (and softer) board but I'm getting the hang of the shorter one.

North Shore surfing-- in September!

Dawn patrol was too quiet at Pu'a Ena point so I went up the road to Kammies, which came in at 6-10. I would've been better off with my bigger, slower (and softer) board but I'm getting the hang of the shorter one.

Woo-hoo!!! Sounds like the North Shore is getting some waves early this year. :D

This evening we moved a lot of my stuff, which is all crammed in the bedrooms so that the painter can paint in the living room, den, and kitchen. We moved it from my guest bedroom to my living room, since the painter has finished the walls in the common spaces and is half finished with the trim. Just a little more and that bedroom will be emptied out, and ready for painting too. What he has finished looks great!! I'll take a photo once he is done with the trim.

Currently I am nearly crossed-eyed from sucking a frozen strawberry daiquiri through a straw.

Currently I am nearly crossed-eyed from sucking a frozen strawberry daiquiri through a straw.

Is it still like 400F in Texas? It's still so hot here, my timer just popped up... I could use a frozen daiquiri.

Is it still like 400F in Texas? It's still so hot here, my timer just popped up... I could use a frozen daiquiri.
Oooooh....mmm, hmmmm...it's rather warm in TX..

...as for your timer, well now.....:cool:

...hmmm...just got a tad bit warmer, ummm...here in TX. :angel:

I've spent the last two days rasslin' with my computers. I bought a new one with Windows 7 and the "Easy Transfer System", but it still takes a lot of messing around to go from old to new.

I have been using Outlook Express for years, and suddenly realized I had lots of old emails that I'd like to keep (digital packrat :LOL:) and no new Outlook Express program. The good news is that Thunderbird pulls in all your old OE stuff automatically, but it took some doing to figure out how to move the Tbird data from old computer to new. Answer is Mozbackup.

Next hurdle is to replace Microsoft Money. Any hints?

Getting ready for Rice Families Weekend in Houston.

I'm planning to spend today packing (only six hours left!) and then I'm going to spend eight hours overnight breathing recycled air with hundreds of my new (*cough-cough HAAACK*) best buddies while hurtling through space at hundreds of miles an hour... and wearing earplugs.

Sure hope I can get caught up on my sleep.

At least I won't have to stand the midwatch.

By the time you search this board for the keywords "Microsoft Money" and "Quicken" and finish reading the threads, you'll be so sick of both that you'll plagiarize an OpenOffice spreadsheet.

By the time you search this board for the keywords "Microsoft Money" and "Quicken" and finish reading the threads, you'll be so sick of both that you'll plagiarize an OpenOffice spreadsheet.

Thanks. It turns out that Mr. Gates just couldn't let Money die and now gives it away. Click, click, I'm back in business.

I drowned or smashed 100's of stink bugs. Then did 100's more. Oh how I hate those stink bugs! Then I finally rubbed down the wax on my van windows and put another coat on. Did I mention that I hate those stink bugs that are everywhere?:mad:

Yesterday I had my gas fireplace cleaned and inspected since I've not used it for 5 years and want to this winter. They found some rust that appears to have been caused by my lawn sprinkler system.:nonono: I hate home maintenance.

I struggled with this question for about a year and finally -- the month before my Money subscription (license?) expired -- just picked (out of frustration mostly) Moneydance as the replacement. It has been three months now and I find it an acceptable substitute.

I had used Money since v1 (1995?) and was very disappointed with MS's decision to abandon it -- so, perhaps, my learning curve was steeper than it should have been. Nevertheless, I find that, as a pure accounting tool, Moneydance is more in line with how it should be done. Probably the biggest difference, however, is in Moneydance's support system. They have, for instance, an extremely active Forum and, I believe, that they, eventually, will build a very powerful financial program for us non-accountants -- although it is "as good as" Money now. (Money's support, as you know, was best described as non-existent.)

YMMV

I had used Money since v1 (1995?) and was very disappointed with MS's decision to abandon it -- so, perhaps, my learning curve was steeper than it should have been. Nevertheless, I find that, as a pure accounting tool, Moneydance is more in line with how it should be done. Probably the biggest difference, however, is in Moneydance's support system. They have, for instance, an extremely active Forum and, I believe, that they, eventually, will build a very powerful financial program for us non-accountants -- although it is "as good as" Money now. (Money's support, as you know, was best described as non-existent.)YMMV
+1 - WOW!! :mad:
I just got through a horrible week trying to convert over from MS Money to Quicken for Rental Property Owners or QUICK BOOKS -- After hours of frustration I cancelled both of them & removed the blood suckers from my hard drive. Their "support" was not helpful or nonexistent.

Whodathunk that the underdog MSMoney would be so much more flexible & superior than Intuit's products? :confused:

All I want to do is go directly into a Checking account - pay a bill & categorize it by Property and Expense Category & maybe a little more detail like invoice# - Unit #, etc.(notes would be OK). I don't want to go thru other accounting vehicles/icons to get there either. I need to be able to produce reports with those elements broken out.

Maybe I am just too stupid. I tried, I failed, I tore me hair out! :mad:

Currently sticking to MS Money and double entering it into my Banks Bill Pay system. IF anyone has found a workable EZ solution to that, LMK. :(

Maybe I wasn't clear. You can download the new version of Money (Money Sunset) for free. It automatically finds the last backup from your old Money program and is good to go in seconds. I just use it to balance my checkbook.

Download details: Money Plus Sunset Deluxe

Currently sticking to MS Money and double entering it into my Banks Bill Pay system. IF anyone has found a workable EZ solution to that, LMK.

The main reason I picked Moneydance was its ability to automate things through the Internet. Specifically, its ability to give me "real-time" (well, there is that nine minute thing) updating of my Portfolio. The online banking is also fairly well developed.

I didn't take advantage of it but Moneydance is "try before you buy" software. (I just jumped in with both feet.) You should be able to test what you are asking with no cost other than time. And, in any event, their helpful support people will hold your hand through the whole procedure if asked -- again, I am very impressed with the staff of this company. In addition, there will be many users that will add their voice to the solution to your problem if it is more complicated than usual.

(Disclaimer: the above is based on only three months experience with this company.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom