Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
you mean those still running Win95?
Some members mentioned that this thread loaded very slowly for them especially on tablets.

Personally I have a brand new high end Windows 10 laptop, which I love and which I can afford these days. So, I have no difficulty with the thread myself. However, I remember quite well those days when I shopped for computers by price and I can sure relate to how irritating a slow loading thread can be. Also, tablets seem to be gaining popularity.

In any case, it isn't a problem for me (as a member) to have the thread divided into two after so many posts, and I don't imagine this could possibly inconvenience anybody.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree... no big deal... I was just surprised as i had not had any issues with the old thread loading slowly on either my laptop or my tablet or even my phone for that matter.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I just noticed this new version of Old Faithful which, if I'm not mistaken, was started by Khan and garnered a heck of a lot of views. That makes sense, as it's such a relevant topic to how people go about spending their valuable time in early retirement. Probably the hands-down winner in clicks-per-day!

Thanks, Khan!

Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I just noticed this new version of Old Faithful which, if I'm not mistaken, was started by Khan and garnered a heck of a lot of views. That makes sense, as it's such a relevant topic to how people go about spending their valuable time in early retirement. Probably the hands-down winner in clicks-per-day!

Thanks, Khan!
Yes, thanks Khan!!! I love this thread. We plan to make sure the old part of this thread is easily available for everyone, since many of us enjoy browsing through the older posts. It had 19090 replies, and well over a million views.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I agree... no big deal... I was just surprised as i had not had any issues with the old thread loading slowly on either my laptop or my tablet or even my phone for that matter.
Also our techie types said it slowed the server down, or might, or something along those lines. At any rate, the team decided that it needed to be divided as has been done.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I didn't return to w*rk today!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They had another stab at the top finish to a newly refinished hardwood floor this morning. The first time left some faint swirls and some bubbles that had dried with rough spots.

Their assessment was that the swirls were likely from the wrong pad for buffing. Bubbles possibly from the house being too cool.

Pre-warmed the house for a couple of days this time. We also warmed the basement space below the floor.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Baking bread with raisins in it. Cheating a bit by using a baking machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Catching up on all the Downton Abbey episodes the last couple of days--filled in many gaps in the story I had missed. All in preparation for the last season starting tonight.
Lucky you! I saw the last episode of the last series during xmas. Would love to have one whole unwatched season!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Ah!! Loving this MONDAY!!! Everyone has gone back to w*rk and school and thus the roads and shops are delightful! We replaced a washer/dryer this weekend (got rid of our front loading W/D and went old school!) and I had to hit up the Home Depot to get a new drain hose. There was NO BODY THERE AND IT WAS AWESOME!!! I like the holidays as much as the next guy, but I hate what it does to humanity (roadrage, rudeness, just overall SUCKS!) so it's good to get back to normal. We got all the Christmas decorations from in the house put away yesterday, so when it warms up a little, I will head outside to pack away the outside decorations.

So, have I mentioned that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Monday?!?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Congratulations !
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Now that's the best report ever! Hope you have a great time today.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Ah!! Loving this MONDAY!!! Everyone has gone back to w*rk and school and thus the roads and shops are delightful! We replaced a washer/dryer this weekend (got rid of our front loading W/D and went old school!) and I had to hit up the Home Depot to get a new drain hose. There was NO BODY THERE AND IT WAS AWESOME!!! I like the holidays as much as the next guy, but I hate what it does to humanity (roadrage, rudeness, just overall SUCKS!) so it's good to get back to normal. We got all the Christmas decorations from in the house put away yesterday, so when it warms up a little, I will head outside to pack away the outside decorations.

So, have I mentioned that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Monday?!?
Mondays are SO much better in retirement, aren't they? I'm glad you are having fun today.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I went to the gym, which was surprisingly empty for the first week of the new year, this morning with DH. I forgot that he is subconsciously competitive with me in things like this (if I do the treadmill for 45 minutes, say, he doubles his usual elliptical time--only part of his workout to beat that). The gym is not far, so I think I'll go in the early afternoons instead rather than disrupt his routine and to better focus on myself.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to work. On a freezing cold still-dark Minnesota Monday morning.

Gloat on, you retirees, gloat on. I will get there at some point and assume my rightful place in the catbird seat.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I went to work. On a freezing cold still-dark Minnesota Monday morning.

Gloat on, you retirees, gloat on. I will get there at some point and assume my rightful place in the catbird seat.
You will love it, too! It will make all that you are enduring now, SO worthwhile.

When I first joined the forum, I was still working and my chosen username was Want2Retire. I really did, so I do understand at least somewhat.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #36

Woke up this morning to find that DW shared her cold with me. We're married and all, but she doesn't have to share everything!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #37

DW got a new car today. When the dealership called to say it was ready, she immediately drove her old one to Carmax to get a quote. I had already looked up estimated resale values online, so we had a good idea what she could get for it.

What a delightful experience!
She was in and out of Carmax in 20 minutes with a check in her hand for just a few hundred less than we could have expected from a private sale, and way more than we expected from a trade-in.

This was our first time with Carmax and we were extremely impressed.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This was our first time with Carmax and we were extremely impressed.
That sounds great! Thanks for the tip. I checked their website and apparently we don't have a Carmax in New Orleans, but there is one in Baton Rouge, about 65 miles away.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #39

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, Walt34.

Yesterday we had a bit of a scare with DH's van - the wheelchair ramp wouldn't extend when we got home from church. Fortunately the hand crank backup worked fine, although it made horrible noises. Called the adaptive mobility dealer first thing today and surprisingly they said they could work on it immediately. A rivet holding one of the ramp guides had popped loose and bound up with the ramp. They fixed it and cleaned/lubricated the whole unit - after nearly 8 years I was relieved it was an easy and under $200 fix.

Went directly to my yoga class and now catching up with things online while DH is exercising at the gym. What he doesn't know is that I need to make a grocery run after we get home as I depleted our food reserves trying to avoid grocery shopping during the holidays. And I have a very long list of things that need to be done this week...
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Had my final post-op eye exam! Still 20/20 at distance and read the next to smallest up close. Doc said second eye the implant was still moving a little, he suggested I may see further improvement. I'm getting a pair of bifocals done for grins, seldom will ever be used past reading but I can see more detail if needed. Very pleased with the entire process, simple, painless and the payback was so great.
Closed Thread