Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I slept in this morning and have been on the computer quite a bit today. Talked with my sister and daughter on the phone. Made a quick dinner. I really am enjoying a down day and needed it. We went to DD's in NC on 12/19 and stayed until 12/27. My granddaughters were home with us during the day, while the parents were working. I had dinner ready when they got home from work. When we left on 12/27, we brought the 16 month old and 7 year old granddaughters home with us. Their parents came back to our house on 1/1 and left yesterday. I took a 2 hour nap yesterday. They are so much fun, but it does wear me out!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Slow morning waiting for the ice to thaw. Cut up Christmas tree and put in debris can. Did one hour workout with the wife at the gym. Put new camper cover over camper and gas treatment in boat. Picked up around the workbench. Almost cocktail hour

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #43

Went with DS and DH to Longwood Gardens to see their Christmas display and get out of the house. It's about two hours away from home. It was by far the coldest day since last winter. The conservatory was stunning and the walking was just what I needed to combat my tendency toward being a couch potato in winter.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451959374.906464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

We made braciole.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Today marked my first day of semi-retirement*.

I slept in, wrote until lunchtime (my favorite hobby), exercised at the gym, and worked from home for 2 hours in the afternoon. Then I ran some errands on foot and snagged a Piroshki at Pike Place Market. Apparently there's is a Piroshki happy hour from four p.m. to close. Who knew?

It was a fun day (full, but not stressful) and a good sign of days to come.

SIS

*I still hesitate to use "the R word" because I'm in my thirties and life is uncertain. But we're FI, living off our SWR, and basically working for kicks at this point.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Went with DS and DH to Longwood Gardens to see their Christmas display and get out of the house. It's about two hours away from home. It was by far the coldest day since last winter. The conservatory was stunning and the walking was just what I needed to combat my tendency toward being a couch potato in winter
+1 Love Longwood Gardens! Thanks for the memory refreshment!
Used to go about 2-3 times a year and Xmas displays were always fantastic! Haven't been back now in many a year since working overseas but family is still in the area and hope to take my wife there once we retire!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Today marked my first day of semi-retirement*.

I slept in, wrote until lunchtime (my favorite hobby), exercised at the gym, and worked from home for 2 hours in the afternoon. Then I ran some errands on foot and snagged a Piroshki at Pike Place Market. Apparently there's is a Piroshki happy hour from four p.m. to close. Who knew?

It was a fun day (full, but not stressful) and a good sign of days to come.

SIS

*I still hesitate to use "the R word" because I'm in my thirties and life is uncertain. But we're FI, living off our SWR, and basically working for kicks at this point.
That's awesome! Congratulations SIS!

I'm a bit ahead of you, semi-FIRED in mid-2014, and a lot ahead of you in years. But, I too remember my first day (did an E-R post about it) and it was a wonderful feeling. I remember feeling like I had to fit as much stuff into the day (and it was literally 24hrs) as I could. Don't quite still have the 'first day urgency' but, I do find myself trying to do as much as possible...interspersed with bouts of just sitting on the deck and staring.

Enjoy your newfound freedom.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #48

Got in an early AM walk on the beach, sort of, in between storms. It rained last night and a big storm is due any moment... but it was not raining at 6:30am when the dog and I arrived. Unfortunately, storm surge meant there wasn't a lot of beach - so I had to do some of the walk through the neighborhood - on the street side of the beach front mansions.

The stormy weather brought out the surfers... waves were 8-10 feet and decent form. The surf report said there would be rogue 15 foot waves. I'm certain the surfers were hoping for that.

On the way home I picked up some beef for a stew. It's supposed to be a huge/rain filled storm so a crock pot of stew should make the home feel/smell cozy.

Task today is help DH with the next step of his petition to transfer his mother's guardianship. It is finally moving forward. It needs to happen so that he can sell her home in Kentucky (which will provide additional funds for the memory care unit.) He started the process to transfer the guardianship last August - so it's huge that it appears it may be finally moving forward - and might even be complete in about a month.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
That's awesome! Congratulations SIS!

I'm a bit ahead of you, semi-FIRED in mid-2014, and a lot ahead of you in years. But, I too remember my first day (did an E-R post about it) and it was a wonderful feeling. I remember feeling like I had to fit as much stuff into the day (and it was literally 24hrs) as I could. Don't quite still have the 'first day urgency' but, I do find myself trying to do as much as possible...interspersed with bouts of just sitting on the deck and staring.

Enjoy your newfound freedom.
Thanks! It's day two and I feel like I'm getting away with something and that any minute now I'll get caught and returned to the office.

(Is that the theme from Cops I hear?)

Mostly kidding.

Have a great day everyone. And Huston55 - I aspire to learn how to relax on a deck and drop some of my urgency. That sounds quite nice.

SIS
Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #50

I just kind of lazed about today. Finished a library book, one of four I checked out a while ago. I should take them back and get some more but the high today is 34 and I just don't want to deal with it. The cold DW shared with me is rapidly improving so I should be over that in a few more days, then we're both back to the gym.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I just kind of lazed about today. Finished a library book, one of four I checked out a while ago. I should take them back and get some more but the high today is 34 and I just don't want to deal with it. The cold DW shared with me is rapidly improving so I should be over that in a few more days, then we're both back to the gym.
Oh, are you going to HURT when you get back to the gym, after having to stay away for a while... I remember your description of your workouts, and they sounded pretty rigorous.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, are you going to HURT when you get back to the gym, after having to stay away for a while... I remember your description of your workouts, and they sounded pretty rigorous.
I know, I know...groan... but DW is going to be worse off than me. She will have missed almost two weeks by the time we get back there. But she'll have sense enough to start out slowly.

It's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in when you stop exercising for a while.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #53

It was a nice day today. It gave me a chance to work on the house a little. A sweatshirt was all it took to be comfortable. At least for me. My nail gun still thought it was too cold. I sat it in the sun for a while and that didn't even work. Finally turned the car on and set it under the floor heat vents. That did the trick. It is supposed to be in the mid 30s again tomorrow so I'm hoping get a garage door put up.

Hope this heat wave doesn't last too long. I have skiing to do!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #54

EastWestGal - Thanks for the memories - I love Longwood Gardens! Lived in the Wilmington area twice for a total of 12 years and went nearly every one of those years to the Christmas display and usually at least once a year for other exhibits. Last time there was in March 2011 - took my mom who lived up in Montgomery County for an outing. We had a wonderful lunch at the restaurant and enjoyed the orchid displays in the conservatory - it was too cold for her to enjoy the outside displays.

Rodi - It's chilly down here so I made a big pot of my late MIL's "Beaf Soup" (what DS called it when he was 5). Very yummy.

Walt34 - Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Got several things off my "2015 hangover list" done. Also took a fellow church choir member for radiation treatment - she had a brain tumor removed in mid-December and can't drive now so we've set up rides for her. Quite a scare - she couldn't keep food down and lost 20 pounds over 3 months. Finally she had enough non-GI symptoms that they did a full-body MRI and found the malignant brain tumor which was pressing on her cerebellum. Good news is that it appeared to be well-contained so after 3 weeks of radiation she expects to be back to "normal".
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #55

It was nice to get out of the house today after the brief snow which turned into freezing rain later on Sunday into Monday. Went to the pool to workout in the morning after a late opening. Saw The Big Short in the early afternoon catching the Tuesday bargain matinee.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, another room upstairs is all prepped for the new laminate floor, its walls all painted.

This is the smallest room in the home, but I don't know if I can do its floor tomorrow in just one day. Don't want to work too hard.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #57

Was fortunate enough to have a rain free walk on the beach with the pooch this morning. El Nino storm #1 moved out overnight - and storm #2 hit mid-morning. Unfortunately, high tide + storm surge meant there was no beach to walk on again... So I walked on the streets down to the pier and back.

Then headed out to Costco - hoping to the beat the rain. Would have totally beat the rain except I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while and talked to her for 10 minutes. Came out of costco just as the skies opened up. The rain stopped as soon as I pulled into my garage.

Then the serious rain started - just as I was leaving to get the kids at school. While driving my cell phone kept going off with flash flood emergency alerts, tornado (!) alerts, etc... I'm very happy to be inside and dry now.

Hopefully this rain won't all run off - but some of it will recharge the aquifer a bit.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You've got an aquifer there? I thought it would all drain into the Pacific ocean.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rain

The past 2 days here in CA, we have got the first of the El Nino rain. 2.6 inches yesterday, and 3 inches so far today. I am staying off the roads. We had a fire locally recently and yesterday part of Highway 101 was closed due to mud and debris from the fire.
We have a cute electric fireplace with realistic looking flames and a built in space heater
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

We started the day with an earthquake--our first since moving down here--and I was surprised to see water moving in the pool.

A little later, I got the tornado alerts. I thought I left those behind in TX.

We had a big rainstorm, for which I am very grateful. Looking for #3 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum