Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cruised Skyline Drive on our way home from wintering in Florida. Gave the paddle shifters in the new Outback a bit of a workout. For a relatively large car it's pretty agile but I do wish I still had my old Legacy BY Turbo today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #722
Recycles dryer sheets

Working on my income tax today. Took my dog for a nice long walk in the sunshine, nice breeze. I had a big lunch so I feel a bit guilty about eating dinner. I am thinking about skipping dinner altogether but not so sure what will happen. So glad I have ER'd. I used to have a case of the Sunday's right about now.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #723
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday we did a movie marathon and watched the first 3 Hunger Games movies in preparation to watch the latest one we got last week on BD. Amazing (sad?) how much of the plot and details I forget from movies after only a few years. Guess it's even worse given I'd read the books before watching the movies the first time. It is nice to be surprised again though, lol.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #724

Yesterday we went to see the film "Batman v Superman".
Old 04-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #725
Give me a forum ...

Was it as bad as the critics say? Or as good as the box office take says?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Was it as bad as the critics say? Or as good as the box office take says?
No and no. DW and I have much different preferences WRT films but both used the same word to describe this - confusing. It certainly was a "big screen" production, with impressive special effects. Someone who only goes to the cinema once or twice a year might want to skip this. We go regularly and don't expect every film to be great.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #727
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone else even close to your age in the audience?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #728
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent way too much time Friday, Saturday and today verbally arm wrestling with a painting contractor who doesn't seem to want to live up to the contract I signed to paint the exterior of our house. The problem is the second coat required in the agreement. The crew did a nice job of applying one coat of paint last week, but indicated on Friday that after some touch up they would be done.

After a couple of conversations with the the crew supervisor and a phone call to the owner on Saturday, the owner said the crew supervisor would take care of it. The crew came out today and put a second coat on the siding but was about to pack up and leave without adding the second coat to the soffits and fascia. Another call to the supervisor and the owner, and supposedly the crew supervisor is now on his way out with the additional paint needed to finish the job per the contract.

According to the owner it has all been a "problem with communication". I suspect it's more a problem of not expecting a customer home all day watching what the painters actually did, not the usual working couple who weren't around to see that no second coat was applied.

Yeah, whaddya do all day...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
According to the owner it has all been a "problem with communication". I suspect it's more a problem of not expecting a customer home all day watching what the painters actually did, not the usual working couple who weren't around to see that no second coat was applied.

Yeah, whaddya do all day...
Communications is when it happens once. The second time it does look more like a business model.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #730
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started re-painting the outside of my house. Now that the weather is better I think the time has come. Need to give the place a bit of a face-lift!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #731

Picked up DW and her friend at the airport at midnight. Home at 2 am. Running at 9 am. Picked up an antique bed that my niece and I are going to fix up for her daughter. More scanning & decluttering. Should have everything in our files converted to pdf's by the ned of the week.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #732
Administrator

REWahoo, MichaelB, and WoodM, you all are making me glad that my new-to-me dream house has a brick exterior so it doesn't need painting. The doors and trim can wait.

But today I made an appointment for my termite man to come and give me an estimate for a complete re-treatment. It's a great time of year to get outdoor home maintenance like this done, before the summer heat sets in. It isn't supposed to rain for a week.

I noticed that at least half a dozen houses on my block decided to get a little concrete work done this past month, after I had my sidewalks and other concrete work done. I never saw new sidewalks that looked so pretty, until I saw MY new concrete sidewalks. I guess that is human psychology at work.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #733
Give me a forum ...

After three full days wearing it, I've finally mastered using my new Apple Watch.

I swore I'd never buy one, but I broke down last week when I got a big unexpected rebate from a credit card I'd forgotten about. Combined with the recent price cut, it just seemed reasonable, since it was found money.

Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #734
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
After three full days wearing it, I've finally mastered using my new Apple Watch.

I swore I'd never buy one, but I broke down last week when I got a big unexpected rebate from a credit card I'd forgotten about. Combined with the recent price cut, it just seemed reasonable, since it was found money.

Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.
I retired my watch when I retired.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #735
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I retired my watch when I retired.
I still wear my Timex. I don't really use it much any more, but I'm just not ready to part with it. This is only my 7th year of retirement so maybe later.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #736
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We went to a railroad museum and took a short ride on a historic train.
May i ask where? I work on a tourist train in CA
Today was spent at the Senior Center preparing taxes for low income people and seniors.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #737
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
REWahoo, MichaelB, and WoodM, you all are making me glad that my new-to-me dream house has a brick exterior so it doesn't need painting. ...
I was thinking the same thing. We went with a nice (but expensive) vinyl faux cedar shake when we built the house and garage. As a friend says...vinyl is final. Also, the cedar shake is much thicker than clapboard styles.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #738

Bought a new bathroom sink and faucet and plumbing supplies, gonna re-do the old cheap chipped enameled steel POS builder sink in the bathroom.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
May i ask where? I work on a tourist train in CA
It was the Western Railway Museum in Suisun City. We had a nice time. They let us bring our dog on the train.

We also go on the Niles Canyon Railroad Train now and then and enjoy the Railroad Museum in Sacramento, though we never end up going to the RR museum when their trains are running. Maybe this year we will plan it better and try out one of their train trips, too.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #740
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I broke a glass, one of a pair of low ball glasses I had carried from Ohio in my shoulder bag.
For some reason this made me cry

I need to find another garage sale so I have a pair of glasses for sipping/toasting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app