Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #1541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I am home waiting for a fence installation. This project started in march . It took two months and several calls to hear back from the estimator to sign a contract then three more months waiting for installation. This project has cured from the desire to want to build a home .

Quite right.

Small residential contractors almost never have any schedule incentive. They juggle multiple jobs & usually suffer from poor planning. OTOH, as customers (home buyers) we are almost never willing to pay the premium to have a schedule incentive.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #1542
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I had a tower and a laptop die within a couple of weeks. Luckily, important data, mostly photos and music, were saved to a spare hd, which then failed to boot. Luckier still, it turned out that the usb enclosure was bad, not the drive.

My phone and tablet have enough memory that all photos and music will fit, so I now have four copies - laptop, phone, tablet, and spare hd.
I signed up with Backblaze a few months ago to back up my Home Theatre PC which also serves as a drop off area for photos and videos. It's $50 pre-paid for a year for one PC (no storage limit). Backs up to the cloud automatically. I had purchased and ioSafe 3 Terabyte external drive / environmentally hardened drive at Costco, but the thing died just a few months after it's 2 year warranty.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #1543

Today was a gym day, minor grocery run, and 1st flight on a new R/C motorized sailplane with a bit over a two-foot wingspan. Very relaxing to fly since they fly so slowly, and I like that I can just step out to the back yard. Too hot outside today to do much of that until it cools down.

Edit: Oh, an interesting thing happened. A bird was trying to chase the sailplane away while it was gliding and mostly silent. (You can hear the servos moving the control surfaces when close.) But when I started the motor the bird quickly left.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
What is a Long John? A doughnut shaped like the one above, in these parts at least. Also called crullers.
Crullers, as far as I know, are an entirely different doughnut. Even wikipedia agrees me. Picture of a cruller from wikipedia.

I've heard them called maple bars and maple long johns (with bacon)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #1545
Recycles dryer sheets

^^^^That would be a French Cruller ^^^^ Not to be confused with a Traditional Cruller
Old 07-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
^^^^That would be a French Cruller ^^^^ Not to be confused with a Traditional Cruller
Agreed, French Cruller. My favorite when I was training for Sumo Wrestling.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #1547
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep, Long Johns are synonymous with crullers here. That's a fancy French cruller, a different shape altogether. I love those!
We also have Bear Paws, Bismarks, etc. etc. Doughnut land.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Yep, Long Johns are synonymous with crullers here. That's a fancy French cruller, a different shape altogether. I love those!
We also have Bear Paws, Bismarks, etc. etc. Doughnut land.
Besides all those great crullers, you also have White Castles!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #1549

Yesterday got my last real stressor off the list, which was car inspection. Today, stress-free, went to grocery store, got chicken and pork chops on sale, returned home, fired up charcoal grill with newspaper and leftover cardboard and some sticks, not needing lighter fluid. Pork chops are done. The fat on them tastes soooo good. Chicken still on. Oh yeah, checked blood pressure using the machine at the grocery store. 121/83.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #1550
Recycles dryer sheets

A day late to this thread, but yesterday I announced my retirement to my boss as of Aug 25. Doing the happy dance!!! Rode my bike 40 miles this morning to celebrate.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #1551

Looking after DW after a procedure at the hospital. Fetch and carry for a bit but since she was under anesthetic she's exhausted and mostly sleeping now. She'll be fine tomorrow and all ended well.

Stepped out to the back yard for a bit to fly the R/C sailplane and get warmed up from the chill I got while waiting at the hospital. They keep that place way too cold! The sailplane is a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, and if I crash it, it was only $90 so I'll just get another one.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
A day late to this thread, but yesterday I announced my retirement to my boss as of Aug 25. Doing the happy dance!!! Rode my bike 40 miles this morning to celebrate.
Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
Slow Down! There will be a lot of time for bike rides when you retire. Congrats!
Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
DW and I went kayaking on the Potomac this morning. Had a chance to remind myself just how hard nature photography really is. We had a great time and spotted some eagles, herons, ospreys and miscellaneous small birds.

Isn't it wonderful that the Eagles have made such a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #1555
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did they?

I thought "Hotel California" was at the apex of the Eagles' career and would not be surpassed.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #1556
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Isn't it wonderful that the Eagles have made such a comeback?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, I remember growing up and hearing all of the dire warnings and, despite living in an area where eagles congregated during the winter, never seeing one. Now, I see them all the time. They are magnificent birds.

BTW, how was your music festival in Italy?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #1557

A long john here in ND looks like the original picture but with frosting rather than maple covered bacon. Crullers match the picture that rodi showed. We also have bismarcks which are a circular version of a long john but jelly filled.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #1558
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Yesterday got my last real stressor off the list, which was car inspection. Today, stress-free, went to grocery store, got chicken and pork chops on sale, returned home, fired up charcoal grill with newspaper and leftover cardboard and some sticks, not needing lighter fluid. Pork chops are done. The fat on them tastes soooo good. Chicken still on. Oh yeah, checked blood pressure using the machine at the grocery store. 121/83.

This past week was loaded with "stressors": in line at the DMV, in line at Costco for tire rotation, on the phone with on-line pharmacy after a prescription disappeared...

But, all checked off the list!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #1559

Heading out in the garage to replace a cracked headlight in my 2003 Jetta. Rock got it on the freeway. I need to remove the bumper cover to get at the headlight mounting screws. I have a replacement housing and new glass lens.

Going to be fun in the heat of the day.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #1560

Started packing things movers won't move. The reloading room wow! I know how much I bought how come it's multiplied? I'd guess 600 pounds of lead and 150 pounds of brass. Almost thirty pounds of nitro powder and 30K primers. I guess it's OK for an individual to move all that just not regulated carriers.

The last two boxes from Megacorp were hidden down there. I'd conveniently forgotten them for three years! Looking at the junk was great, "DW I think all this belongs in the trash!". Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?