What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a six week tour of France and Switzerland. Had some fresh sardines in marseille for dinner at a pop up restaurant on the street in old port below our air b&b.

Now you've done it, that has me salivating at 4AM with no way to cook that up.
Awesome choice, sounds like a great time.

Had an especially nice compliment, and the fun part is that it was completely unintended and inadvertent.

Went to a new doctor, and after the nurse did the usual weight, BP, pulse, etc., she walked me in to the doc's office. I sat down while he was fiddling with his computer.

By way of small talk, he asked me how old I was. "72," I said. He said nothing, just gave me a kind of sideways smile and turned back to his computer.

When he finally got my record to show up, he started reading it and gave a little grunt of surprise.

"Huh, you really are 72!"

Made my day.

Had an especially nice compliment, and the fun part is that it was completely unintended and inadvertent.

Went to a new doctor, and after the nurse did the usual weight, BP, pulse, etc., she walked me in to the doc's office. I sat down while he was fiddling with his computer.

By way of small talk, he asked me how old I was. "72," I said. He said nothing, just gave me a kind of sideways smile and turned back to his computer.

When he finally got my record to show up, he started reading it and gave a little grunt of surprise.

Made my day.

Why did he doubt you?

Perhaps he was thinking "This octogenarian has lost his mind". Then, he looked at the record, and saw that you were telling the truth. :hide:

PS. My maternal grandmother, when in her late 80's and senile, once answered "50" when asked her age. The person asking was stunned, and did not know what to say.:D

Last edited:
Went to the auto parts store for wiper blades for the pickup truck, then the grocery next door. Poor DW has a cold and asked me to get some chicken noodle soup so I got her about four different kinds before I found the Campbell's, what she had asked for, and some cough drops. I know the cough drops don't actually do much if anything but they make her feel better, so there's that.

Then to the gym, then home.

All set to get new appliances next Monday, so I thought I would double check my rough in wiring. Good thing. Existing oven wiring was up to code - until 1996. So I ran a new electric line from the panel to the oven junction box. And wired a new junction box for the dishwasher.

Made my day.
Not to offend but my 62 yo aunt 20 years ago gave off such a hateful vibe that most thought she was 82, but she loved herself. Age and dislike for younger people is very well documented! BTW, I love you.

Flu shot and pneumonia shot in the left arm, shingrx (#1) in the right arm.

I've never had any reaction to any shots before, but I've never had three at one time either. Watching carefully to see how I feel in the morning!

Ice your arm if it gets itchy or hot. It really helps.

Made my day.

I’m constantly reminding doctors that I’m 70, because I don’t look anywhere near that age. And it’s important that age is considered when they give me medications. I’m wondering if they gave me the over 65 flu shot. I forgot to remind the tech.

Had a leisurely morning in front of the fire in our wingbacks and then we went to a local diner for breakfast.

Afterwards went for a 2 hour drive up into the hills to enjoy the fall colours. Had two morons cross the median towards us during the drive. Never in any danger but it made the ol' ticker skip a beat. Nowadays in our neck of the woods we have to wonder if they're stoned out of their gourds on jazz cabbage or if they're just run of the mill deficient drivers.

Stopped on the way home to buy a new outdoor work jacket at the TSC. I think they mismarked the price (it was 69.99, probably should have been 169.99) DW says the cashier did a double take when it rang through.

Now just waiting on dinner. DW is cooking tonight. Pot roast, maple carrots and my mums yorkshire pudding recipe. Great autumn day.

Went to Costco this morning to pick up a few things and bought 4x100W dimmable LED bulbs for $2.99. I'll probably go back and buy some more. Can't believe the price.

Our gym has been closed for yearly maintenance and unusual wet weather this week has us stir crazy.

Walked the riverwalk yesterday and it's awesome(pic). Snow on the peaks and some more water in the river.

Today is a beautiful sunny day, 50°F. We hung out in the national forest behind our house. The peak color is over but it's always beautiful. We chose to walk the loop around three smaller canyons, it's pretty easy, for most of the 4.5 miles. Unfortunately DW wore the wrong socks for her boots and didn't realize it soon enough. She has a nasty blister on one foot.

I took her out for some "medical margaritas" and a late lunch. 20181019_121749.jpeg

Went to Costco this morning to pick up a few things and bought 4x100W dimmable LED bulbs for $2.99. I'll probably go back and buy some more. Can't believe the price.
Might be subsidized by your local utility. My electricity supplier gives two LED bulbs free for every CFL bulb turned in. I cleaned out the whole house of CFLs and incandescent bulbs.

I went to Costco to spend the check they sent me with my executive club membership. Bought loads of stuff on that nice check. Then to Sprouts to get some more apples, they have McIntosh now, so I got some to make some dessert tomorrow, maybe Apple cobbler.

I worked on the Pumpkinliner tourist train today, We ran 2 trains to a pumpkin patch, complete with a hayride and a corn maze.
On the second run, we had a group of 60, developmentally disabled culidren and their parents. They all seem to enjoy the ride.

Watched the original 1925 silent film version of The Phantom of the Opera starring Lon Chaney, accompanied by live pipe organ music (it was shown in my church). Ate cheese and charcuterie with Port wine for dinner at home after. It was a fun, inexpensive evening.

I went to Costco to spend the check they sent me with my executive club membership. Bought loads of stuff on that nice check. Then to Sprouts to get some more apples, they have McIntosh now, so I got some to make some dessert tomorrow, maybe Apple cobbler.

No, no, no. Get your check(s) as cash then charge your stuff for more 2%/4% back! Unless I misunderstood your post and this is what you are doing.

I woke up a bit late today at 8:30. My wife came into the bedroom and said "Bad news". I asked "What?" She said "The snails came out and ate all your string bean seedlings". What the hell?

I came out to the garden, and my wife showed me the dozens of dirty slimy snails she picked off the planter bed. Where were they from, and how did my seedlings survive for a week, just to get mowed down overnight?

It turned out that the day before, I sprinkled some Triazicide granules on the planter bed where the string beans were popping out of the ground and doing great. So, I put down a bit of that insecticide as a preventive measure, as we had bugs eating our seedlings before. And obviously, those granules drew out the snails by the dozens from where they were hiding, and after eating the Triazicide granules which were not enough for them, they totally devoured my string beans. ARGHHH!

A quick look on the Web did not find anything about Triazicide killing snails, so that was bad luck on my part. Damn!

My search also showed Corry's being a lethal bait for snails, so off to Home Depot I went. Could not find it on the shelf. Asked a clerk, and he looked on his terminal and said there was none in any nearby HD, and in fact in the entire district. Said it was not a common problem in this area, hence they did not carry it. So, I got the whole local snail population concentrated in my garden!

Went to Lowe's. It carried 3 different brands of snail control. Corry's has sodium ferric EDTA as the active ingredient, the 2nd iron phosphate, and the third sulfur.

Back at home, I pulverized the pellets before sprinkling the powder on the garden bed. Read on the Web that birds like to eat these pellets. Would not want to attract birds as I have had birds eating the seedlings too. Just now read that the snail insecticide may also kill the birds.

Last edited:
I usually put oat meals down and that’s enough to kill the snails organically too.
But we had Santa Ana wind and the whole bed that I’ve just planted were killed. The only vegs that survived were peas and zucchini. Sad. My garden looks like a battle field.

Last edited:
We went to a park event today with games, craft beer tasting, and small bites from a local culinary school. The night before we saw the play Other Desert Cities. It was very well done and had an interesting plot twist at the end. The night before that we saw the play Dream Girls, loosely based on the history of Diana Ross and the Supremes.

I've also been trying unsuccessfully trying to catch up on housework and laundry instead of binge watching The Americans. But The Americans has been winning out. It is a good show with lots of intrigue.

I've always used a small dish of beer in the garden. Snails and slugs are attracted to it, and they crawl in and drown. Simple and cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom