What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The end of last week was spent getting the old tractor up to my place. It took a span of three days to get it parked at my place, but it is nice to have that done. I have been looking forward to this for about 4 years. I spent several days using it to clean up my friend's back yard last summer and fall. His wife is very happy to have a clean back yard. It will be available for landscaping as I finish my house over the next couple of years.

Walked on the beach although it was a little cool.

Made pizza for supper but the condo we're renting doesn't have a rolling pin, so I rolled the dough with an empty beer bottle :)
You get a gold star for improvisation.. necessity is the mother of invention, right?

...I got my quarterly estimated tax payments for 2019 set up to be paid automatically. This is done using EFTPS at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ . I chose to have the payments deducted from my checking account. Then I did the same for Louisiana's quarterly estimated tax payments, which is done on the state website.

I've given up on estimated payments. Now I just do tIRA withdrawals with high percentage withholding for both federal and state income taxes in lieu of estimated payments.

I've given up on estimated payments. Now I just do tIRA withdrawals with high percentage withholding for both federal and state income taxes in lieu of estimated payments.

+1

To avoid penalty, I tend to have too much withholding, but this is OK as the bitty interest that I miss out from not having the cash in my account is less than the penalty for underpayment. Or so I think.

Went to see a Broadway touring production of RENT today. First act was 80 minutes but it was so high energy and enjoyable that the time passed fast - I usually have problems sitting that long.

Also attended a small bluegrass concert at a local church this weekend. I've planned several southwestern road trips through June but the concert motivated me to look up music festivals in the region. So I was able to get tickets and hotel reservations for the Durango Bluegrass Meltdown festival on my way back from Moab in April.

This week I'm spending a few days in Santa Fe to sightsee and attend a concert.

Florida Gators baseball, shopping, and out to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant in Gainesville

Attachments

• GEDC1344.jpg
    GEDC1344.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 72
  • GEDC1340.jpg
    GEDC1340.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 72
+1

To avoid penalty, I tend to have too much withholding, but this is OK as the bitty interest that I miss out from not having the cash in my account is less than the penalty for underpayment. Or so I think.
I view it as not missing out on any interest at all.. in fact, just the opposite since I do the withholding in the fourth quarter so the money stays invested longer than if Indid estimated payments during the year.
I usually have a very good handle on my tax for the year by the so I see no need to over withhold.

Last edited:
Woke up to snow! What a surprise. It's going to snow till tomorrow afternoon. We needed some more. There's a 4' fence in our neighbors yard, you can't see one fence post anymore, its buried. The table on our patio has disappeared under snow.

I did get out to the gym. Difficult drive but I needed to get out.

DW is back to suffering from her headache. Seems like the storms are a trigger to the headaches. She's asking her doc for some more hydrocodone as it's the only thing that has helped. It's a freaking joke trying to beg for 10 pills. I'm sick of hearing "nobody's ever died from pain". They don't, they die trying to stop the pain!

It's a freaking joke trying to beg for 10 pills. I'm sick of hearing "nobody's ever died from pain". They don't, they die trying to stop the pain!

I know of at least three people who died trying to stop the pain, one was a backyard neighbor. They committed suicide.

Yes. 25% of SS, 20% of IRA withdrawals, and whatever they take out of my pension gets me within $100 or so.

DW found someone had put HKD30,000 (a bit under USD4,000) of fraudulent expenses on one of her credit cards. Dealing with the bank, Apple (it was her ApplePay cc) and the police.

Not what I had planned for today.

Yesterday I put the contents of our kitchen "junk drawer" into a box so the drawer could be used for our steak knives and cheese knife set, plus batteries (which had been in a drawer over the pull-out trash bins which caused them to corrode from the high humidity). Today I sorted out the box of junk; here are some high(low)lights:
- about a dozen pads of Post-its (already told DH never to buy any more),
- lots of picture hangers, wall hooks, furniture pads, etc.
- three sets plus assorted loose allen wrenches
- 7 unidentified keys
- a bunch of random tools that I think came with various purchase over the past 9 years
- a handful of business cards for various artists/craftspeople we've bought from
- loose single batteries, about 50 cents in change, various office supplies.
No wonder we couldn't ever find the things we actually used that were kept there (primarily needle nose pliers, wire cutters, pruning shears for cut flowers, spare house key for guests). I think all but the house key will go in a small open box in the drawer where the steak knives used to be, and the house key will go into the box where I keep other keys.

Now I need to put everything else worth keeping into the garage or office where it belongs. Sigh.

Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot of fresh snow. DW and I had doctor a appointment together, that became the priority for the day. Difficult 3 mile drive due to visibility but we made it safely.

Today was errands, pick up scripts, gasoline for the snowblower. I took the truck to get the gas, it's full size showed where the driveway was not cut back far enough. Spent a while cutting the snowbanks to accommodate the pickup. It's difficult to tell where I can cut, the visual clues are buried. Out at the road there's a 4 foot ditch and I don't want to drop a wheel into it. The truck has an interesting issue with the snow, the proximity alarms get confused by snowbanks. Goes off 30 feet away!

Tonight it's supposed to start snowing for the next two days. The forecast says it's going to drop 1-2 feet and possibly more. I'm not sure where it's going to go. [emoji23]

We only had about five inches of wet snow today, followed by sleet, then rain tonight. Gotta love that Ariens snowblower! Both of us have minor back issues and don't want them to become major issues so a snowblower is worth every nickel. At this point I don't think I even could shovel the whole driveway without being in serious pain for at least several days.

No sooner did we get the driveway and walkway done, get back inside with some hot tea and the plow shows up and leaves a nice 2 foot high EOD (end of driveway) pile. So back out I go to get that cleared before it freezes tonight.

And we have one of those Toro electric snow shovels that works great on the deck.

Put down weed and feed to start the growing season. Last week, our HOA deposited mulch in the front plant/tree areas. It's part of our HOA cost.

Tested my sprinkler system and thought about pressure washing the driveway, but realized I lent the pressure washer out last Fall and didn't get it back yet. :facepalm:

warning - this reply is a RANT

I w*rked from home today and had a teleconference with 2 co-workers.
This is my last year and I was "voluntold" to work on a 2 hour seminar with them. AHHH !

I have no interest - they want to do it their way - what ever !!

It just leaves me irritable -

Days like this make me want to declare OMM !

Contractually I must be there longer.

(I cope by watching snippets of Office Space and laugh)

I watched the little bit of precip we got yesterday melt this AM and then took the dogs for a much needed walk around the 'hood.

I am glad that I have never owned (nor will I) a snowblower.

warning - this reply is a RANT

I w*rked from home today and had a teleconference with 2 co-workers.
This is my last year and I was "voluntold" to work on a 2 hour seminar with them. AHHH !

I have no interest - they want to do it their way - what ever !!

It just leaves me irritable -

Days like this make me want to declare OMM !

Contractually I must be there longer.

(I cope by watching snippets of Office Space and laugh)

Maybe this will help you... :D

The Office Space Guide to Surviving W*rk

Note to self:

When cutting up habanero peppers do not touch your eyes.:nonono:

Last night: dinner out with siblings, we are all within 20 min drive of each other and get together every month. Nice to have them close.
Today: taking one of the cars in for routine maintainance, once the icy road clears a bit.

The day is young, but I already know what I will be doing most of the day. It's gloomy outside, with a drizzly rain for the next 24 hours.

I am roasting some Anaheim chilis now to make a pot of green chili pork. It will be perfect for a winter day like this.

Then, will surf the Web some more for travel info, and BS some on this forum. I think I may be able to talk DW into watching a DVD movie. Our TV has not been turned on for months.

PS. Air fryer makes roasting bell peppers and chilis a snap. Ten minutes, and it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom