What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut the cord - and my head.

Attacked by a satellite dish while removing it from the side of the house. Three staples in my scalp...

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like Dish Network really wants to make it difficult to quit their service.

Cut the cord - and my head.

Attacked by a satellite dish while removing it from the side of the house. Three staples in my scalp...
Yes, a ladder was involved

Ow! That sounds so painful, and head injuries bleed so much that they can be awfully scary. Glad you got it taken care of. "Dr. W2R" recommends R&R for the rest of the day. (OK, I'm not a medical professional, but I'm a mom, does that count? :LOL: )

I hope it heals swiftly and I'm glad you didn't end up with a broken arm or leg or foot or something like that.

BTW, Frank (age 64) and I (age 70) intentionally do not climb on ladders any more; maybe that is something you might want to consider at some point in the future. It's amazing how life goes on despite not climbing on ladders.

The ladder wasn't the problem, it was the occupant. Specifically, it was the lack of "wasn't it obvious that was going to happen?" planning. The results would have been the same standing on the ground. :blush:

The ladder wasn't the problem, it was the occupant. Specifically, it was the lack of "wasn't it obvious that was going to happen?" planning. The results would have been the same standing on the ground. :blush:

About two years ago my doctor (who loves to lecture his patients about pretty much everything) went up a 12 foot stepladder in his back yard to hang a bird feeder on a tree. He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues. He's not my doctor any more (although that's not the reason).

... He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues...

"You want to tell me about your pain? You don't know what pain is", says the doctor. :)

About two years ago my doctor (who loves to lecture his patients about pretty much everything) went up a 12 foot stepladder in his back yard to hang a bird feeder on a tree. He not only broke his back in three places, three ribs, and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but lived in nearly constant pain for more than a year afterward. He switched from lecturing others to taking up appointment time describing his personal medical issues. He's not my doctor any more (although that's not the reason).

This is pretty much why I don't get on ladders anymore. A couple of years ago, I took two spills while up on my Dad's roof (thankfully, low pitch, not far off the ground). Thankfully, I was only sore for a few days, no real damage. These days, I gladly pay people if I need something done "up high".

Plenty of company:
According the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, every year 500,000 people are treated for ladder-related injuries and approximately 300 of these incidents prove to be fatal.

Now add those who don't injure themselves badly enough to seek medical treatment and the number of accidental ladder-related injuries becomes pretty alarming.

Plenty of company:

Now add those who don't injure themselves badly enough to seek medical treatment and the number of accidental ladder-related injuries becomes pretty alarming.

That is the reason DW insists that I stay off more than a 2 step step stool. I was considering sign up for rock climbing on our next cruise, until I got up on a stepstool and trid to get something down that was over my head. My balance is not what it used to be, so I scrubbed the idea.

Well, I was too fast to blame the ladder. Sorry!! :blush:

Hope your head heals fast and completely.

The county plowed this morning and left a present at the end of the driveway. Blew snow a couple times and cleaned up some slush around the garage door. I read the area snowfall is estimated at 90-110 inches and its still snowing.

DW and I walked a mile around our circle. Very calm and peaceful walking around in the snow. Very little traffic which was good, with hats and hoods you can't hear a vehicle coming up behind you very well. They can't stop and go again very well either.

We met the only other person who was out and his dog. Dog was having a blast, jumping up on six foot snowbanks and perching on them.

Stayed in most of the afternoon, and watched it snow. Then we lost internet, felt pretty isolated for a short time.

Took a picture. That's a Subaru in the distance for scale.
20190221_114501.jpeg

Last edited:
I continue to "shed load" as the time winds down to my retirement at the end of May.

Yesterday, I learned that I won in the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on my last outstanding case. I had argued before the court last February and it took over a year to get the decision. The case may very well end up in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2020, because it involves an important issue of federal preemption of state law and there is a clear and unequivocal split on the issue in the Circuit Courts. But I'll be gone, so someone else in my office will have to handle it.

Today, I was promoted and given a raise. I am somewhat amused, because my loss in the market today was double the amount of the total raise between now and my retirement.

Finally got the garage roof replaced. I signed a contract a month ago, but between weather and a vacation it got delayed and delayed. This AM the roof was covered in ice and I wondered if the crew would work, but they started from ladders and then got to it. I was impressed at how fast and efficiently they worked and finished just before dark.

I've done roofing myself, when I was in my 20's, and even though it was expensive, I'm glad to pay for someone else to do that kind of work.

... This AM the roof was covered in ice and I wondered if the crew would work, but they started from ladders and then got to it. I was impressed at how fast and efficiently they worked and finished just before dark...

What people would do for money... :nonono:

What people would do for money... :nonono:

Why not? I know a guy who owns a small roofing company. He has told me that he only really needs to do 1 - 2 houses a week to make a good living. So he does 3 or 4 a week from May to October and then enjoys 6 months off, spending much of the winter in warmer climates.

However, he doesn't work in rain or icy conditions.

...However, he doesn't work in rain or icy conditions.

^^^ This. :)

Actually, I was just jesting and felt compassion for those who did such hard work for pay. They obviously needed money worse than I do. I am fortunate.

Watched it snow and ran the snowblower.

I broke down and contracted someone to remove snow from the roof and around the house. It's deep enough that our safety is compromised. We can get out our bedroom door into an impassable snow pile. Not cheap, six guys for 2 days.

Watched it snow and ran the snowblower.

I broke down and contracted someone to remove snow from the roof and around the house. It's deep enough that our safety is compromised. We can get out our bedroom door into an impassable snow pile. Not cheap, six guys for 2 days.

Wow!!! :eek: Glad you are having that taken care of.

Our high today was 82F, and it is still 80F out there. Shorts, sandals, and a light weight t-shirt with the AC running. Wish I could blow some of this warm air your way, to melt that snow pile.

On the other hand, I'll bet people around there have lots of winter fun when skiing, sledding, and snow-shoeing around at this time of year.

Took a ride around North Scottsdale observing people out enjoying the recent snowfall. I’ve never seen people so happy to see snow.

Right now I am sitting in my comfy easy chair, listening to the drums and brass instruments of marching bands going by, in a Carnival (Mardi Gras) parade about a half block away. I might go down there and catch a few beads, or not. Anyway I am enjoying the music and sounds of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom