What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Wax the generator (yeah, that's weird, I'll grant you, but it looks nice) which took about 45 minutes...

Gosh, the shine of that generator hurts my eyes, even from a photo.

If you spent 45 min on a generator, how many days would you do your car?

Last edited:
I got stuck in a snow drift this morning. Some folks are coming in from Nebraska next weekend and asked me to plow to their place. I usually don't plow that road because it is very rough. I broke my plow last week so I tried to drive to their lot to see if it was passable. It wasn't. I got back out with some snow shoveling and have set up an appointment to get some welding done on the plow on Monday morning so I should get that drift plowed in the afternoon.

Another day, another hike. It’s great to start the day doing things that I want to do, and then try to reserve time at the end of the day to do the things that I need to but don’t want to do.

So I’ve developed a plan for the summer. Last year, I spent too much time doing home projects and yard work and didn’t get to do as much fun stuff as I wanted. So this year, I’m only going to a allow a maximum of 4 hours a day for home projects. And only at the end of the day after all fun things are done. 6-10 am will be for biking/hiking/kayaking. 10am-2pm will be workshop time for woodworking projects. 2-6 pm will be for yard/ house work - unless either of the first two time slots get extended.

If you spent 45 min on a generator, how many days would you do your car?

When I was doing the car and pickup truck I would spend two or three days on each. Now with joint pain becoming more of an issue I guess I'm going to have to fold and take them to a detailing place. But I know they won't do it right.:mad:

My first attempt at no knead bread. GF loved it. I used regular flour but will be looking to make rye or multi-grain next time if that's possible. I also might try using ceramic onion soup bowls for mini loaves:

bread.jpg

Took DW to the neurology office. She hasn't done well on Topamax and wanted off of it. The biofeedback has been the best thing yet, better than hydrocodone![emoji1]

The biofeedback therapist has her filling out a headache chart with any headache meds or therapy. DW gave the neurologist a copy and he was impressed by the changes. She's had several mostly pain free days in a row and continues to drop off pain medications. It takes a while to scale up and down from topamax but she's starting. I know she's really missing our Mexican place and a margarita.

Finished the restoration of the speedometer from a 1956 VW singlecab truck I bought out in CA last fall. Well well beaten, this truck is very original and I am "painting nothing", just going over it 100% mechanically. I have committed it's use for a festival on May 4th.

1837153.jpg

1884111.jpg

Another long fishing day (I'm in the middle of the photo--Lena was walking nearby and took the photo):

LAs6hq1.png

Five hours without a bite, and then three fish in 10 minutes. Fish are weird.

And I think I realized why fishing makes me tired even when I don't paddle far: I make thousands of casts which are like throwing baseballs.

Took DW to the neurology office. She hasn't done well on Topamax and wanted off of it. The biofeedback has been the best thing yet, better than hydrocodone![emoji1]

The biofeedback therapist has her filling out a headache chart with any headache meds or therapy. DW gave the neurologist a copy and he was impressed by the changes. She's had several mostly pain free days in a row and continues to drop off pain medications. It takes a while to scale up and down from topamax but she's starting. I know she's really missing our Mexican place and a margarita.

Glad your wife is feeling better. This has been a long road for both of you.

Back in May 2018 I was diagnosed with stage 1B pancreatic cancer, I elected to have the Whipple surgery that really took the wind from my sails, I completed chemo treatments about a month ago 15 sessions and had a ct/scan done on Monday of this week first time since surgery. My Oncologist called this AM and informed me that no cancer was detected and all internal organs were negative with exception of some spots and nodes that were benign no cancer has spread and they may have been there prior to cancer on the pancreas.
My wife and I were relieved after 9 months of ups and down physically and emotionally, I live everyday knowing I have been gifted and blessed and get to enjoy life a little longer, I don't fear death but sure glad I had a caring and loving caretaker everyday (my wife). :dance:

Congratulations. Continued well wishes to you.

Finished the restoration of the speedometer from a 1956 VW singlecab truck I bought out in CA last fall. Well well beaten, this truck is very original and I am "painting nothing", just going over it 100% mechanically. I have committed it's use for a festival on May 4th.

1837153.jpg

1884111.jpg

Nice VW truck! I've had a few and restored a 1971 Beetle two years ago. :)

Glad your wife is feeling better. This has been a long road for both of you.
Thank you. It's been an experience for both of us. I'm hoping for a pony hiding in this pile of pony poop. The biofeedback has been beneficial for pain and perhaps will help her anxiety.

We woke up to another 4 inches of snow, later rain turned it to snow cones. Can't see much today as it is foggy, raining all around us. Attempted to make homemade gummy bears. While tasting fantastic the presentation is bad. I'll have to eat my mistake.[emoji12]

Today I did my usual weekly prowl of Habitat ReStore and found two new in box DC-DC converters that are used to power 12 volt accessories in emergency / off road vehicles that have a higher voltage operating system, Upshot is I got them for $16 each and on eBay they sell for about $150, so I am going to just resell them.......
Sold the first one for $125, so with Ebay and PayPal fees and small profit on shipping cost, cleared about $100, tax free. Cheap thrills. ;)

I went skiing today. The conditions were great! They are due a big snow tomorrow with a big one here on Thursday.

My first attempt at no knead bread. GF loved it. I used regular flour but will be looking to make rye or multi-grain next time if that's possible. I also might try using ceramic onion soup bowls for mini loaves:

View attachment 30984

I've gotten into baking bread in ER, as well. That loaf looks very much like what I come out with. I've had a good sourdough starter going for over a year now and I bake three loaves about once per week, freezing two of them.

I'm getting hungry just looking at that photo!

We are in the middle of the storm of the decade - no, wait, the storm of the century. Let's make that the STORM OF THE MILLENIUM!! (Maybe I have been listening to the local news too much. :)) Anyway, drifts are now up to a couple feet, the electricity is going on and off as is the internet. I have all the water jugs filled along with the bath tub. Also plenty of liquid libations and food. I can fire up the generator if need be. I brought enough firewood in for a couple of days. The plow is on the truck and it is chained up and full of gas. The storm is supposed to last into the evening with sunny skies tomorrow. If we lose electricity it, we may not get it back for a few days. I think I am good to go. :)

We are in the middle of the storm of the decade - no, wait, the storm of the century. Let's make that the STORM OF THE MILLENIUM!! (Maybe I have been listening to the local news too much. :)) Anyway, drifts are now up to a couple feet, the electricity is going on and off as is the internet. I have all the water jugs filled along with the bath tub. Also plenty of liquid libations and food. I can fire up the generator if need be. I brought enough firewood in for a couple of days. The plow is on the truck and it is chained up and full of gas. The storm is supposed to last into the evening with sunny skies tomorrow. If we lose electricity it, we may not get it back for a few days. I think I am good to go. :)

Stay safe, dry, and warm!

Stay warm and safe Hermit.

Woke up to more snow, wet heavy snow. On top of yesterday's snow cones it was very heavy. Snowblower was taxed by lifting it. Eventually it couldn't keep up and plugged. A couple hours later I saw the county plowed and left 40" of gunk at the end of the driveway. Nice! By this time the snowblower was melted and I was able to get the majority of it out.

I went skiing today. The conditions were great! They are due a big snow tomorrow with a big one here on Thursday.

Glad to hear that someone is out and enjoying it! I love the snow, but in full recovery mode (flat on back, elevated leg) for the next four weeks.

Glad to hear that someone is out and enjoying it! I love the snow, but in full recovery mode (flat on back, elevated leg) for the next four weeks.
My condolences. I hope things are better next season.

I don't burn the slopes up like I used to, but still love it for as long as the legs last for the day. Then I sit out a run or two with my adult kids before I do one or two more runs to finish my day.

One of my ski buddies had open heart surgery this week (in his early 80s). He just moved to Arizona this fall so I don't have as much contact with him. I hope I have the opportunity to get back on the slopes with him next season. I am starting to believe that saying about getting old is not for sissies.

Dug a hole to get ready for 2 of the tomato plants I will be putting in Saturday. I put off digging the other hole until tomorrow to have something to do :D

I've gotten into baking bread in ER, as well. That loaf looks very much like what I come out with. I've had a good sourdough starter going for over a year now and I bake three loaves about once per week, freezing two of them.

I'm getting hungry just looking at that photo!

I was surprised how nice it looked...that was my first ever loaf of bread. But that really only proves that the recipe is idiot proof :LOL: My GF sent the pic to a couple friends and it blew them away. I'll make it again...and other breads too, of course.

Yesterday was mid 50s for the first time in months, and not raining, so I was able to pull my daughter's camper out of her yard without leaving ruts. Today will be 70* for the first time in 160 days, then cooling off into the 40s. I think we might miss the storm of the century, but I may buy some bread, and milk anyways.

It's Alive!

Well, not really alive, but it works.

Almost three weeks ago we had a bit of a windstorm that blew the A/C condensing unit off the pad overnight, in addition to cutting off power for ~12 hours. We were able to just push it back in place but since it was too cold to turn on the A/C and test it we had no way of knowing if anything was damaged.

Today between the outside temperature of 72° F and sunlight coming in the windows we let it get to 81° inside and turned on the A/C just to see if it worked. Yay, it did! So for right now anyway it seems that there were no lasting effects.

Attachments

• high winds effect (3 of 5).jpg
    high winds effect (3 of 5).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 55
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom