Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Found a $150 charge on my credit card from last month that I did not recognize. It was at a local supermarket. I did not recall spending that much there and could find no receipt for it and my rewards card was not scanned at the same time. Totally suspicious. I drove to the store this AM and asked if they could pull a copy of the original receipt, which they did. Turns out if was for my shingles shot - duh. I'm glad I didn't call the credit card company.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we are waiting for snow here, so today I ran errands, Walmart, etc. and had coffee with a couple of my good friends. I worked a little bit from home and made a nice dinner for us. Now we are just chilling. Maybe it will not snow after all?

Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #63

We are waiting for snow too. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon, then a bit heavier Saturday night, tapering off Sunday morning. Anywhere from three to five inches total is forecast. Maybe I'll get to play with snowblowers. I'll ask DW to take pictures.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to spend the day at the ranch. Did some hiking and some work around the place. Wood stove was burning had some lunch there and headed home late afternoon.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's been cold and windy for a couple of days, but it looks like the bulk of the snow is staying south of us tomorrow.

Today, DH and I went to play pickleball (inside) for a few hours. (Our play is improving -- the better players invite us to rotate in with them now). Then it was shower, reading, and some sewing before dinner. I'd like to have a quiet evening of reading in front of the fire, but DH is watching television. Maybe I'll find a movie we can watch instead.
Philliefan33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Wellllllll...I will back up a bit.

At the end of Dec, I ran out of work. I am a contractor and the budgets were out so the writing was on the wall. No biggie. I failed at retirement and had gone back to work for 2 years. Not bad. It carried me over until 70.5 to max SS. :-) I suppose I am really retired now. OK.

I bought a 44 year-old BMW motorcycle--then promptly racked-up my knee (sigh). We shall see what the new year brings.

We needed to replace our driveway (built in '71 and disintegrating). After checking into paving stones (my first choice!), in the end I had to settle for brushed cement ($$ not $$$$). It is in progress now. The pour should be Monday. It is kind of like skydiving: anxiety is maximum until you decide to do it today. It is a big bite, but DW has saved enough of my wages to pay cash. (Godzijdank!)

Friday our washing machine flooded the laundry room. The drain was blocked. Working on that now.

At the end of 6 weeks of a chest cold. Not as debilitating as flu, but what a drag.

One of my cousins is thinking about a RoadScholar trip to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and asked my opinion (we lived in Azerbaijan for 4 years). I seriously don't think they can get into both Azerbaijan AND Armenia as they are in a shooting war with each other. Two of the three would work OK and we have connections with AZ and Georgia, if they want to do it on their own.

Got to get to the washing machine now.

Cheers,

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #67

Gym day, then home to make a big salad that should last for nearly a week.

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out. Other people can go out and play "bumper cars". Owners of tow trucks and body shops are rubbing their hands with glee.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out.
Nothing like sitting around the fire on a snowy day eating a warm bowl of salad.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How do you make a salad that will last a week?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nothing like sitting around the fire on a snowy day eating a warm bowl of old salad.
FIFY
Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Fill one of these large Tupperware bowls with it. Then there's a ready-made meal when it is wanted. The bowl we have must be 35 years old by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tupperware_bowl.jpg (22.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

If you add extra virgin olive oil, it will slide out of the bowl into the trash much easier...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
...snip...
Long time no see...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Wellllllll...I will back up a bit.

At the end of Dec, I ran out of work. I am a contractor and the budgets were out so the writing was on the wall. No biggie. I failed at retirement and had gone back to work for 2 years. Not bad. It carried me over until 70.5 to max SS. :-) I suppose I am really retired now. OK.

I bought a 44 year-old BMW motorcycle--then promptly racked-up my knee (sigh). We shall see what the new year brings.

We needed to replace our driveway (built in '71 and disintegrating). After checking into paving stones (my first choice!), in the end I had to settle for brushed cement ($$ not $$$$). It is in progress now. The pour should be Monday. It is kind of like skydiving: anxiety is maximum until you decide to do it today. It is a big bite, but DW has saved enough of my wages to pay cash. (Godzijdank!)

Friday our washing machine flooded the laundry room. The drain was blocked. Working on that now.

At the end of 6 weeks of a chest cold. Not as debilitating as flu, but what a drag.
Hey Gypsy Ed. Just reading this wears me out. You put the “tire” in retirement. Hopefully this is a passing thing.

Quote:
One of my cousins is thinking about a RoadScholar trip to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and asked my opinion (we lived in Azerbaijan for 4 years). I seriously don't think they can get into both Azerbaijan AND Armenia as they are in a shooting war with each other. Two of the three would work OK and we have connections with AZ and Georgia, if they want to do it on their own.

Got to get to the washing machine now.

Cheers,

Ed
I traveled between Peru and Ecuador every two weeks for the whole time they were at war. It’s a good option for people looking for unusual travel opportunities. If they’re lucky they’ll have lots of interesting stories to tell.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out. Other people can go out and play "bumper cars". Owners of tow trucks and body shops are rubbing their hands with glee.
We had a snow day yesterday. Did not go anywhere. I helped DH shovel a couple times. I also made snickerdoodle cookies. All told, we got about 6 inches of snow here.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we woke up to more fresh snow. Had planned on a gym day, but blew it off. We did go out to Mexican for lunch. Wow was it snowing, probably only 100' of visibility at best. DW was giving me her opinion on where the road was. Several other vehicles had lost the road, left their empty graves behind them. A reminder of how little it takes to be in the ditch, and how deep it is.

There were only a few people in the entire restaurant. My order got screwed up a little and our waiter came to apologize for forgetting my tortillas. I blew it off, "sir you greeted us with two margaritas when we sat down, who cares".

By the time we left the visibility was much improved, some patches of blue sky popped out. Fitting as we watched the Chiefs win their first playoff game in 25 years.

More snow today.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Gym day yesterday then a little bit of grocery shopping,

This morning made a big breakfast that we normally don't do, sausage and pancakes, YUM!

We had some freezing rain here last night and had already planned to stay in. DW is in a cleaning mood and when that happens I make myself scarce lest she start to dust me if I don't move.

Now going to get up and start a BIG pot of chili for dinner, cornbread with it at dinner.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Celebration at our house last night! DD and SIL informed us they are expecting their first little one! Excited to have another grandbaby! This may be a blow the dough year for us--Grandma loves to go to the baby store!!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to a different day, it got bright and sunny after days of snow and clouds. Only a little snow overnight and I was going to get breakfast, little dog ready to go with me. I learned the county plowed as I went to leave. There was 30" of nice 3 day old chunky snow blocking the driveway. Luckily the snowblower could process it all.

The little dog was so happy, she hadn't been out for a couple weeks and was excited to see all the snow. The mountains that had been covered in clouds were back. Snow covered, bright sun and clouds up top. The road was better, you could see! By this afternoon it was snow free.

DW has been sick, this was only her second day back in the gym this year. She did ok but is exhausted. A late lunch out, perhaps I won't eat tonight.

I went to knock a couple icicles off the lower roof. I saw a sight I didn't want to way up above. I gotta get someone up there. After all the snow and melting there's ice sculptures hanging 8 feet down from the roof.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fill one of these large Tupperware bowls with it. Then there's a ready-made meal when it is wanted. The bowl we have must be 35 years old by now.
A bowl of 35 yo salad ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote