what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get this done before winter. Weird thing is - I accidentally ran a sprinkler line directly over the tank access panel. So I need to take out a small section of sprinkler line every time it gets pumped

Just curious. Why don't you route the sprinkler line around the tank access panel?

Just curious. Why don't you route the sprinkler line around the tank access panel?

Great thought! I think I will when they come to pump it this time. I'll have to dig back 4 feet or so in each direction in order to bend it enough to miss the lid, but that will be eliminate the future hassle of taking out a small piece of pipe every time they pump the tank.

My father in law is staying with us for a while in our guest cabin. The plan is to build another house on our property where he will live along with my DW's sister and husband, still a lot to come together. The FIL sold his house and had a lot of his stuff shipped here including some of his ham radio equipment, he hasn't used it in years but talks about it a lot.

Have spent some time over the last few days getting a radio and antenna set up for him to use. Radio is about 150 watts and I've strung a wire antenna between some trees behind the house. He isn't able to help much but gives me the direction I need and I've found a lot of good information online when needed. He's a retired electrical engineer/electrician so very particular about his equipment set up, lol.

I'm not a ham operator but have been able to get him going- he likes to work CW and you can see his sending skills were a bit rusty but already improving. We've tuned the antenna for the 20 meter band but he has made contact with others across the dial and really seems to be be enjoying himself. My DW is really happy that we've got hem engaged in a hobby as it gives him something new to do with his time.

I found an app for the Ipad that translates code by listening through the speaker, it's a bit hit and miss but when you hit the sweet spot, it works amazingly well. He was impressed by the technology too.

Now that we have the radio working well, it's time to see if we can get the antenna another 10-15 feet in the air. He likes to tinker but isn't able to do a lot so has lots of suggestions. There are also an amazing number of buttons and options on his radio and he's starting to remember how they are used. I've learned a bit and I'm able to return us to the basic set up when he sometimes gets too many options working and isn't able to send or receive.

He's talked with people in a few spots around the US and has been hearing quite a few hams from Europe as well. I know there are a number of hams on the ER forum so thought they'd be happy to hear about someone who has been off the air for a while getting back on the air.

Started the day with a walk on the beach with the dog and my sister.
Hurried home, showered, ran the vacuum, then took the kids and my sister to see "The Giver" at the movies. I had been worried, based on the promo, that they had taken a lot of license with the movie... but that wasn't the case. It was a great book, and they did a good job with the movie.
Now I'm waiting for my FLL Robotics team to show up. They should show up any moment. Nothing like a roomful of 11 year olds to amp up the volume in a house.

I went to the gym this a.m. for an acquafit class. Later I met former co-workers for lunch (I retired 7-2-14). I was all ears for the terrible and deteriorating conditions they reported at my former place of employment. I breathed a sigh of relief that I am now more or less a lady of leisure and accountable to no one.

After much searching I located my telescope to camera adapter set. I hadn't seen it in many years. Now I have to learn how to use it again.

After much searching I located my telescope to camera adapter set. I hadn't seen it in many years. Now I have to learn how to use it again.

Post photos...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Turned my old iPad into a photo viewer for MIL. Training MIL how to use an iPad did not go as well. Surveyed my BIL and SIL's property for their upcoming house sale.

Traveled back from Midland where I spent the last two days getting slowly roasted in the sun. It was a balmy and humid 96 F when I got off the plane in Houston.

This is a this-past-week (vs today) update: I began a bucket list project and started writing a murder mystery novel.

This past week I completed the skeleton core plot (A) and subplot (C), sketched 15 characters, and rough drafted the first chapter (6,412 words). On the docket for next week: complete B subplot and fatten the skeleton to chapter-by-chapter level plotting.

For several months, my Saturday morning routine has been to head to the local Farmers' Market (interestingly, it's in the Sears parking lot at the mall - hardly anyone shops there anymore). Pickings are getting slim with the August inferno, so several of my regular vendors weren't even there (DH will have to do without his favorite pickles for another week - actually two unless he goes himself since I'll be out of town next Saturday). Onions, squash, a canary melon, okra, and long beans.

Then went down to Central Market to pick up my annual supply of 10lbs. of roasted Hatch chiles. Brought them home and actually took the time to prep them properly before freezing (remove skins, freeze on a sheet pan, later will put them in vacuum bags). Pulled a few out for dinner - found a recipe for baked chile rellenos with goat cheese that sounds yummy.

Finished computer maintenance I started yesterday - I ran disk diagnostics and found that my HD had errors on it. Fixed that and then checked out all of the partitions on my backup disk as well.

Trying to figure out a new knitting app I downloaded to see if I want to keep it.

Having a hard time focusing to get anything useful done - have been on steroids this week for a tooth that isn't happy with its root canal and they make me very jittery. The tooth is feeling a little less angry but still not feeling normal. Ugh.

I met a former co-worker and her aunt today for a very nice 2 hour outdoor lunch. An ex-supervisor of mine just left after a visit to my home bearing much produce from her garden: heirloom tomatoes, squash, herbs, and string beans. I skipped the gym this morning in favor of sleeping in until 8 a.m. I am either easing myself into retirement temporarily, or I have some innate latent tendency to great laziness.

Went to the farmers market and then went to visit Kanzi (bonobo that uses lexigrams).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Had to replace batteries in my HP12C calculator. Darn things only lasted about 30 years. IIRC bought the calculator around mid 1980. The pain of the price $7.50 for 3. Can't remember what I paid for the calculator, maybe $50? I don't feel like calculating current value of 1980 vintage $50.-

Also needed a 1 5/16" impact wrench to remove failed Harmonic Damper on Jag, that was $18.-. Then went for coffee.

DH is up on the porch roof installing a window. 3rd one this week. I think he's motivated because the windows have been taking up *his* side of the garage since before we did the big driveway project. His 19 year old truck misses its comfy garage.

I've been involved too - since the next two windows will be in our sons' room - so we had to move furniture around so they could sleep elsewhere for the next few days.

In between tasks I've been prepping and baking a homegrown pumpkin (and the seeds.) Pumpkin pie tomorrow night!

I can still remember when it was the Sam Houston Institute of Technology...

An the way I heard it when you went ta hollerin’ at that dinosaur to get off your lawn he promptly skedaddled right on across the Pedernales river leaving them thar tracks for everyone to see forever more.

I am shopping for new deck furniture . We live on the bay so the furniture has to withstand incredible winds and occasionally being tossed down two flights of stairs . Do you think the stores would mind if I threw the furniture around a few times to see if it was durable ?

For the last couple weeks I've been install a NuVo Grand Concerto whole home audio. This involves installed in ceiling speakers throughout the house and running cat5 and speaker wiring to the main components in the basement. That alone took me around 40 hours and although somewhat frustrating at times since I went the extra mile to take my time to ensure there was no drywall patching afterward it eventually worked out, it does look like a clean install.

I only have a couple more rooms to go but thought I would start on installing the keypads and programing which has now become a nightmare. Since the NuVo system is only sold at the dealer level, I don't get any support other than from NuVo themselves but that posses another problem since I don't understand the lingo. So far I'm probably spent about 15 hours on trying to figure out how to program this stupid think, but won't admit defeat...................ever. By the way, a dealer wanted about $3500.00 to do the whole install, but they also wanted to sell me the unit, which I ended up getting new through ebay.

In conclusion, I still haven't figured it out and I believe it's more of a software problem. I can only handle about an hour at a time before I give up and take a long break as this is truly frustrating for me. I've posted on the AVS forum, but I'm still having issues with understand how to set it up therefore at the moment, the system controls me rather than I control the system. Yes, I've asked both my kids to help out and it looks like they've given up as they say, it's too complicated.

I haven't given up all hope, but aren't holding my breath either. Maybe I should read the manual another time, but I couldn't get through it the first time, what makes me think it will be easier the second time around.

Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom