what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodi, I also hope all turns out okay.

+1

I can't even imagine how awful it must feel to get a phone call and to find out your kid is injured like that. My best wishes for his swift recovery.

I spent the afternoon looking for Assisted Living facilities for Mom. No decisions made yet, but I'd say it's now more likely than not.

Ouch, that must have been a tough day, too. Hopefully after she is moved in (if that happens), you will find that the arrangement provides you with much peace of mind. At least, when my mother did that I was finally able to relax, because I knew she was being cared for and they were looking after her needs at all times.

As for what I did today, I went to a very high end furniture store here in New Orleans (that I had never set foot in before in my entire life, for obvious reasons). There, I bought a nice, comfortable easy chair in studded burgundy leather. It is just right for me and I got the matching ottoman, too. Thank you, Mr. Stock Market for making this kind of splurge a little more affordable this year. :bow:

Last edited:
Pulled a Cat 5 cable to the spare bedroom from a drop down in the attic. Man it was a bit warm up there. Added the second Roku Box to the spare bedroom TV for the temp living arrangement of step-son-in-law (2nd divorce).

Washed and waxed the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe for our upcoming trip to St. Louis next week.

Had lunch with a good friend then did some puppy-proofing (pup comes home with us Wednesday) and organizing in the house. Stopped at the pet store for a few more supplies and for an ID dog tag.

I spent the afternoon looking for Assisted Living facilities for Mom. No decisions made yet, but I'd say it's now more likely than not.

That's a lot of work. When I went through that, I was lucky enough to get referrals and recommendations from some of the places I talked to. Each one seems to look best after certain types of people, and if you can describe your parent well enough, they can often offer suggestions as to where they can best be accommodated. I felt the suggestions I got were very valuable.

Worked the flower/shrubbery beds today. 60 bags of red lava rock & 13 bags of mulch, plus put down weed barriers under all of that stuff. My aching back.....:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sorry you're having to go through this. I hope you find a good place for your mom and that she's on board with this.

Ouch, that must have been a tough day, too. Hopefully after she is moved in (if that happens), you will find that the arrangement provides you with much peace of mind. At least, when my mother did that I was finally able to relax, because I knew she was being cared for and they were looking after her needs at all times.
Thanks. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Better care and peace of mind for all of us. :)

That's a lot of work. When I went through that, I was lucky enough to get referrals and recommendations from some of the places I talked to. Each one seems to look best after certain types of people, and if you can describe your parent well enough, they can often offer suggestions as to where they can best be accommodated. I felt the suggestions I got were very valuable.
Interesting. I would not have thought to ask one facility for recommendations, but there is no reason why not. Thanks for suggesting that.

It is amazing just how much I have picked up over the past 4-5 years, mostly from or inspired by forum discussions here on LTC, trusts and and managing the finances of a parent. Beginning with Nords' threads on his father, I think I've read every single post and link on these topics, especially LTC, and now can't even imagine what it would be like without this preparation.

Last edited:
Flew down to Marathon Fl for lunch. The young man at the airport recommended Lazy Days and drove us there. The food was good, the place was not crowded, and the view was nice. It was the first time we flew over water, it was only about 30 miles so it really wasn't a big deal. The wife was a little worried about it, but now she is good with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 20
Reflected on my luck and ability to be RE. I used to w*rk in Baltimore, MD on North Avenue where all the current fracas and mayhem are happening. Even more grateful to be more than three hours drive away from that [-]hell hole[/-] charm city.

Played a fun game of golf with friends friends at a 9 hole course that was new to me, followed by a pleasant conversation over a beer on their deck.

Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it. Twelve train cars were blown off the nearest bridge across the Mississippi River, and some roofs were blown completely away.

EXCLUSIVE: Watch as strong winds knock over a train in Jefferson Parish | WGNO

Thanks, Texas! :D I think we sent these storms off towards Mississippi, although apparently tonight and tomorrow are expected to be a repeat of today.

Last edited:
what did you do today?

We still had storms in TX last night and our power was out, beeping woke DH up at 5AM-ish when it came back on. Sorry for the loss of life at the park.

Tree guy came to assess trees he strapped and pruned 2 years ago. The elm is doing well but the pecan with strapping needs more limbs removed and another pecan has 1-2 dead branches. $ but not as bad as last time. A large limb (like 1/3 of a neighbor's tree) fell on their garage last night. You can see it from my backyard. Nothing as bad as our old house in PA when a 100+ year old tree came crashing through the roof from an ice storm (we were preparing to go out there when it happened).

Put an offer in to a condo in Mexico and it was accepted. Yikes! Will be going down there in less than 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it. Twelve train cars were blown off the nearest bridge across the Mississippi River, and some roofs were blown completely away.

Was wondering how you made out when I saw the news. That was unbelievable video footage of those train cars being blown off the rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Packing packing packing and off to Europe for vaca..unfortunately no direct flights so its a 2 stop day at the airport for me.

Today we got hammered by those storms that beat up Texas a few days ago. Whew. Tornados, torrential rains, hail, flooding, power lines down everywhere, power outages, and fallen trees. Our straight line winds in New Orleans gusted as high as 100 mph according to the TV news, though I don't know if that's official and rather doubt it.
It looks like you can't catch a break with the weather. Hopefully you made it through unharmed. We caught the outer edge of that storm. Nothing like what you got, but yesterday I saw hail for the first time in Florida.

Yesterday our internet connection (DSL) was finally upgraded from a 1.5mbs to 3.9mbs. The central office did an upgrade some months back and I've been going back and forth with our telephone company on why they couldn't get our service to the higher speed.

Yesterday, a local tech finally figured out the error in their provisioning so the changes they were making were actually being made to a line that wasn't in service. I was able to get the local tech to look in to the problem for me when we were having service connected for the house my in-laws are building on our property. I was actually able to watch an Amazon Prime movie in high definition last evening.

Yesterday our internet connection (DSL) was finally upgraded from a 1.5mbs to 3.9mbs. The central office did an upgrade some months back and I've been going back and forth with our telephone company on why they couldn't get our service to the higher speed.

Yesterday, a local tech finally figured out the error in their provisioning so the changes they were making were actually being made to a line that wasn't in service. I was able to get the local tech to look in to the problem for me when we were having service connected for the house my in-laws are building on our property. I was actually able to watch an Amazon Prime movie in high definition last evening.

My area should be getting "up to 100 megabits per second" very soon.

Telus invests $100M in fibre - West Kelowna News - Castanet.net

Was wondering how you made out when I saw the news. That was unbelievable video footage of those train cars being blown off the rails.

We were just missed by those storms that hit N.O. as W2R describes. They were 25 miles north of us and step daughter's house lost power and downed trees were everywhere. The kids borrowed our portable generator as power was not expected to be restored for several days.

They told us to expect more of the same all night last night, and even worse today. Nothing has happened and I just looked and saw nothing on the radar.

I visualize our local weather forecasters just submitting a "more of the same" prediction every day, and heading for the nearest bar. :D I will be surprised if we have a repeat of that storm today.

Luckily, I didn't have any damage and only lost power for about ten minutes. It did put a damper on our plans (literally! :LOL: though it was more than damp here) because I felt more comfortable hunkering down at home instead of going out.

I am not quite sure if us folks still w*rking are invited to play, but retirement related:

Started the application via phone for a HELOC on my 2nd home/future retirement home with TIAA Direct. This is a loan I intend to NEVER use, but I want to have it in our back pocket and all set up while still employed. Our credit scores were still great (>800) and if the home appraises out as I hope, the rate will be prime - 0.25. (lol rate doesn't matter if I am not going to borrow against it - right?)

Hopefully this will be the last property-related loan app I ever complete in my life.

I washed the second-floor windows, and then one thing led to another so I ended up doing a deep cleaning of the master bathroom. The rest of the windows will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm headed out for a run.

On a ferry right now heading over to my island acreage for a few weeks of gardening, firewood choppin', fishing, and kayaking.

Just saw a bull sea lion surface just below my window seat, blustering impressively

Love live FIRE. :)

Reflected on my luck and ability to be RE. I used to w*rk in Baltimore, MD on North Avenue where all the current fracas and mayhem are happening.

I was thinking the same thing - "Sure glad I'm retired!" - today at the gym watching some of the video from last night. For sure I'd have either been called out to assist or had to work 12-hour days to make up for the ones that were called out.

W2R, so glad you made it okay through that storm. I've never seen a train blown off the tracks before!

Ho dato una presentazione orale in la mia classe di Italiano questa mattina.

It was on the food of Sicily - and I brought in homemade almond cookies that taste just like the ones we had when were... soft and chewy, a hint of citrus... yummy. We also got back our previous test (from a few weeks ago) and I got an A.

I'm now trying to get ahold of the opthomology department for my son's baseball injury... but they must all be at a late lunch since no one is answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom