Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I kept getting suggestions for jobs I could do, like work in a ski shop or on ski patrol, since obviously I must be bored and/or need some income. Finally I just started replying incredulously "Why would I want to do that"
Although I made it clear to someone that I'd wrapped up my previous career after three decades -- noting that if I were to do anything, it would be something different -- he asked me to apply my career-related skills on behalf of a nonprofit. Like you say, "Why would I want to do that?" The assumption seemed to be that I didn't really mean it when I said it's behind me.

Focus is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They think it must be boring because you don't really have anything to do……….

And that you just sit around all day (in front of the TV), so you're not getting any exercise like you would be if you were working.

But these are mostly opinions that I've read in articles about the downside to retirement, written by people who aren't retired. I have gotten comments that indicate that some working people really can't imagine what they would do with themselves if they were retired, so they are a bit mystified by the whole idea.

After recently buying my new 65 in tv, I'm enjoying that tv a lot more than I should admit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

That we're bored. Which I find so ironic, because the most bored I ever was in my entire life was my last two years of w#rk, when I was so over my job I could have shot myself.

In years one and two of ER, I would respond with a long list of activities to assure them (and probably myself) that really, truly, I wasn't bored or worse, sliding into atrophy. Now, almost four full years in, I'm no longer at all concerned with what others think, have no need to expound on what I'm involved in (they'd be shocked I'm sure) and just give a quick generic reply before turning the conversation back to a topic of likely mutual interest.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get the 'you'll be bored' a lot...and I mean A LOT. Very few ask how I did it, but that I'm going to be bored. I've had a couple ask why I'm not on Linkedin....they just can't seem to accept that I'm RETIRED! I do think my age has 100% to do with it though.

Oh yeah..I'm NOT bored. I'd love to fit in a nice afternoon nap, but they are hard to fit in!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

don't know what they got wrong, just know what I got right.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #26

Quote:
...some working people really can't imagine what they would do with themselves if they were retired, so they are a bit mystified by the whole idea.
+1. I think this is a very sad commentary about our society.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

They think you're......

1. Lying
2. Tooting your own horn because you just can't find a job
3. Tooting your own horn because you're just too lazy to work

Mike
Old 12-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #28

A former co-worker (who hated his job and said he didn't know when he would/could retire) once described early retirement as an "slow death". I thought, isn't going to a job every day that you despise a slow death?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #29

When I was younger, I thought the way to present myself was "out of work." That way I wouldn't get drug through any discussion about being lucky. It would imply I was looking for work even though I hadn't "found" anything. Now at 63, I don't think anyone would bat an eye when I say I'm retired.

As oil drops, I suspect my high paying, low stress position will be at risk. The part of our company that does drilling platforms and oil & gas facilities is starting to sputter. I had been on their last big project and it ended a year ago. I've been back at the refining/chemical plant end of the business since then but I'm seeing this slow down. It's probably a good time to leave and let someone who wants the job keep theirs.

After Thursday, I leave for two weeks of vacation. Resignation day 1/5/15. I wonder what I'll do all day?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

What many early retirees get wrong when they retire is they are leaving something, usually mega corp but initially don't know what they will do with their time. And individuals contemplating retirement may not have figured out what they will do. years ago I went to a high school reunion, many had left their jobs in automotive plants early because they have"30 and out" so many can retire around age 50. When I asked what they did, the most common answer was "putz around all day". the happiest old friend I met had started a lawn business, which he did all summer, took the money and relaxed in Florida all winter. Looked great with a tan and in good health. Me? I'm using my time to gain technical skills and assist in charitable work. BUT.....I had worked....55 hours a week for so many years, my 1st year was boring as I replaced my work hours with other stuff.......guess I should have thought ahead a little bit more back then.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps he lacked imagination. People who lack imagination, take their cues from advertising and such. For them, the word "retirement" probably conjures images straight from the "A Place for Mom" ads. Retire, boom, you've got Alzheimer's.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
A former co-worker (who hated his job and said he didn't know when he would/could retire) once described early retirement as an "slow death". I thought, isn't going to a job every day that you despise a slow death?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I ER'ed in 2013 at age 49 so I always get a lot of puzzled looks when I say I'm retired. My friends, family and others I have met since ER cannot believe it is possible to do this by age 49 (or even before 65). The biggest misconceptions that I found about ER from others are:

1) Friends and extended family think I inherited millions when my dad died in 2005... Not true.
2) They think I'm am investment wiz or just lucky at investing... Not true
3) They think by not having kids it the only way to ER... Others on this site have kids and ER'ed.
4) They think I'll be bored and go insane... WAY NOT TRUE....

When I tell them the simple formula to ER they just shrug me off and think I'm hiding the big secret to ER:

1) Start saving early.
2) Live below your means.
3) Stay invested in diversified low fee funds. Do not panic in down markets.
4) Never use credit cards if you can not pay them off each month.

If you follow the above with strict discipline then time to take care of the rest....

They usually have no response to these simple steps to ER.....
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

Soon after ER-I did tell all "I am Retired". After realizing people just thought I was too lazy to work so I became "Self Employed". That is totally acceptable to everyone. Have plenty to do with 7 rental properties..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think it depends a lot on where you live. I don't mean what state, but what sort of neighborhood. I am 73, but the default assumption is still that I work. It seems like here at least, people work or they look really infirm and then it is assumed that they are retired.

Even people who live in my building and must know that I am around a lot during the day, assume that I work.

Ha
Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #35

I think what it boils down to is one word: Jealousy. Of course, this is an OVERLY generalization, but I think it rings true.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think it depends a lot on where you live. I don't mean what state, but what sort of neighborhood. I am 73, but the default assumption is still that I work. It seems like here at least, people work or they look really infirm and then it is assumed that they are retired.

Even people who live in my building and must know that I am around a lot during the day, assume that I work.

Ha
Except for the few that are just plain stinky rich, aren't we all working at doing what we need to do to get along? On this forum there seems to be a tendency to take "retirement" to mean leaving a traditional job working for "da man." But lots of people dabble in activities that enable them to get by and that don't have any association with formal, traditional employment.

We manage our portfolios, even if just passively. We shop and cook some meals because it's too expensive to always dine out. We do some housekeeping because having hired help to wash and clean costs money. We check the newspaper for inexpensive entertainment ideas because always paying top dollar for fun would take us beyond our SWR. Etc.

My roommate from college never held what I'd call a traditional job. As a writer (with published technical, non-fiction and fiction works on his resume) he spent decades roaming around the country working here and there as a contractor or self-employed. You'd never mistake him for a MegaCorp employee, yet he was working at having what he needed to get by. He always assumed I was the fool for selling three+ decades of my life to MegaCorp(s) and assuming the life of a lemming. Looking back, he wasn't completely wrong.........

Your neighbors might be assuming you work in the sense that you're busy living, not just playing, or that you're non-traditionally employed.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickman57 View Post
Soon after ER-I did tell all "I am Retired". After realizing people just thought I was too lazy to work so I became "Self Employed". That is totally acceptable to everyone. Have plenty to do with 7 rental properties..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is confusing. How could you identify yourself as "retired" if you "have plenty to do with 7 rental properties?"

I guess it's the elusive definition of the word "retired" that makes it so hard to know what people mean when they say it. I certainly wouldn't call you "retired." But perhaps you owned the properties and were also working for MegaCorp and then "retired" from MegaCorp. You still own and have plenty to do with your business but carry the moniker "retired" from your traditional job that you left.........
Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #38

Quote:
We get the helpful suggestion that we could sell our photos pretty often.
I get that often too. While I enjoy photography as a hobby and mounting and framing prints, I have zero interest in running a business.

Then it wouldn't be fun anymore. It'd be w*rk, and who in their right mind wants to do that?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #39

I get strange looks and then I offer the following:

"I always found work to be highly overrated"
Old 12-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Even if your job keeps you busy and feeling productive, I'd describe retiring at 65 or 70 to die at 72 as a "fast death". Mean time, if I can retire at 42 and have to die at 72, well, that "slow death" sounds a lot better to me.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote