What DVDs have you seen recently?

I also saw The Band at the Pasadena Civic center in 1971. We may have been at the same concert. You named some of my favorite groups; I don't think a period like that will happen again any time soon.
I agree with you , it was a magical time. And we likely were at the same concert. I think we went Friday night, but I am not a ticket keeper so not sure. Did you see the Byrds in Santa Monica Civic, I think the year before? Or Albert Collins playing a dance on Santa Monica Pier?

Did you go to the Ash Grove? One night I saw John Lee Hooker, who can you believe it, opened for Canned Heat? Also saw Mance Lipscomb there, as well as Lightning Hopkins, Doc Watson, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, etc! Wonderful times.

Ha

I agree with you , it was a magical time. And we likely were at the same concert. I think we went Friday night, but I am not a ticket keeper so not sure. Did you see the Byrds in Santa Monica Civic, I think the year before? Or Albert Collins playing a dance on Santa Monica Pier?

Did you go to the Ash Grove? One night I saw John Lee Hooker, who can you believe it, opened for Canned Heat? Also saw Mance Lipscomb there, as well as Lightning Hopkins, Doc Watson, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, etc! Wonderful times.

Ha

I saw John Lee Hooker opening for Canned Heat too, although on a different coast. A number of rock groups tried to bring their heroes into the public eye by getting them to open for them. IMO it was the least they could do since they were getting rich playing their songs. :LOL: Hot Tuna and Rev. Gary Davis, Bonnie Raitt and Charles Brown, it happened a lot. It was always interesting to see how in awe of the opener the bands were. :D

The Family Stone. Fun. 10/10.

Night on Earth (1991) - IMDb

If this didn't have so much unpleasant stuff (slums, people), it would be OK. Roberto Benigni was great, but we still fast-forwarded through much of it. If we'd felt like an artsy film we might have liked it better. 3/10.

Killing Me Softly (2002) - IMDb

I mention this one because it's the only movie we've seen that got a 0% tomato rating. 21 reviewers reviewed this movie, and not one of them liked it. But we watched it anyway. It was better than expected, and we watched the whole thing. But I still only give it a 3/10. Good sex scenes though!

The Thin Red Line (1998) - IMDb

What a horrible movie. Good cinematography, but the rest was pure garbage. It was like the director had one movie in mind, the cast and crew shot a different movie, and then the director tried to make something different in editing and by tossing in some voice over narrative.

I appreciate the anti-war theme of the flick well enough, but the complete divorce between the film and historical accuracy made me cringe constantly. Three of us started to watch it, but none of us was able to finish. For all I know it ended with Elvis parachuting into Guadalcanal singing, "Peace in the Valley" while the two sides decided to have a luau. I wish I had the two-odd hours I wasted on this film back.

The Thin Red Line (1998) - IMDb

What a horrible movie. Good cinematography, but the rest was pure garbage. It was like the director had one movie in mind, the cast and crew shot a different movie, and then the director tried to make something different in editing and by tossing in some voice over narrative.

Totally with you. I watched this some time back and regretted wasting my time on it.

We just finished the Sergio Leone spaghetti western "Man with No Name" trilogy starring Clint Eastwood, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Other than spending some time trying to figure out if the two actors who appeared in multiple movies (besides Eastwood) were playing the same character (no on both counts) they were pretty good. Fistful of Dollars was my favorite, but Good, Bad, Ugly was the best of the three overall. I have seen these when I was a kid, but never together. Classic Eastwood. Next up is the Dirty Harry movies. I have seen them all, but never back to back.

We just finished the Sergio Leone spaghetti western "Man with No Name" trilogy starring Clint Eastwood, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
I love those movies. Italian director does Kurosawa Samurai movies on el-cheapo, and Italian actors play Mexican banditos. Toss in Squint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef (sp?) and you have movie magic!

You see, there are two kinds of people in this world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

I finally watched the subtitled film, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, several here have recommended (except Oma :)).

Violent. Very good. I have the three Millenium books by Larsson on my Kindle and just have not got around to reading them yet. Saving them up I guess. :)

Ha
Sorry I missed your reply. I saw only the one concert there; I was on a road trip with several other guys and was only in town a few days. I've seen almost all the artists you mentioned. When I lived in Minneapolis from 1968 to 1974 there were concerts almost every week. I think the high light of the blues concerts I've seen was Howlin Wolf at a small theater near the University of Minnesota; it was just a few months before he died.

Awake

MV5BMjE3NDczNTIyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQwMjU1MQ@@._V1._SY314_CR1,0,214,314_.jpg

Clever and good. But don't watch the trailer or even read anything about it, since doing so will give away major plot points. I'd like to say more, but I can't without giving things away. 10/10.

We just watched "Mother and Child" on DVD. Suprisingly good movie, about the bonds between them. Very strong cast, Annette Benning, Samuel Jackson, Jimmy Smits, Naomi Watts. Pace was a little slow, but kept you interested.

I strike out on DVD's about half the time (DW picks bad ones, my story and I'm sticking to it), but I've on a roll having seen three good movies in a row.
  • Duplicity
  • The International
  • Inception
All are mentally challenging (at least for my pea brain). The first two are very interesting, Inception was incredible IMHO but you have to stay focused especially at the beginning...and we don't even care for Leonardo Dicaprio.

If you want mindless entertainment (and sometimes that's what I'm after too), these three movies do not fit that bill.

Dangerous Crossing (1953) - IMDb

This was just a good old fashioned mystery movie. We find that most older movies flow at a much slower pace (pre-multitasking days), but this one is OK. 8/10.

I admit it - - I haven't watched a DVD since this thread was started. :blush: Now, with a new 58" TV, I might. Being not only nearsighted with astigmatism, but also with aging vision problems, I placed it about 10 feet from my chair and that is absolutely perfect. I just love being able to SEE things that I couldn't see before.

So, I am thinking of dragging out the DVD player and the 5-10 DVDs that I have, and watching a few. I might start with Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs will look HUGE and ferocious on a big screen, I would imagine. ("roar!")

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the MI-5 BBC series. It is very good. Also just finished watching the Red Riding Trilogy, which is a BBC production of serial murders and police corruption in 1974, 1980 and 1983.

The Corner, the precursor to The Wire, the best TV drama series of all time, in my humble opinion; all available in DVD.

All recently released on dvd:
Red - very good, kind of an action movie, keep us entertain
Case 39 - disappointing, kind of a scary/supernatural movie
Inception - good, agree w/Midpack, you need to stay focused watching it, we got confused trying to understand the multpile layers of involvement
The American - ok, very slow paced action movie, thought there could be more verbal explanation to some scenes

Back
Top Bottom