Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What to reply to "what do you do?" when FIREd
Old 02-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa, as a really late arrival to this thread, I'm really surprised at this conversation!

azanon, what's up with the cockroach reference? Eewww! My parents ER'd in a nice middle class house, home schooled my younger brothers and sisters during jr.High, who are all going to top teir schools now via scholarships etc., participate in many civic activities etc. No one in the family "looked down on them" for doing it. Of course you should care what your family thinks of you, but their opinion should be based on are you a good father/husband/brother/son, not "is he vice president of the corporation yet?" If they do, I feel very bad for you. No one said on their deathbed, "man, I wish I had spent more weekends in the office!"

Frankly, I find it interesting that you worry what the neighbors would think, then say some pretty downright nasty things about people you don't know, just because their house wasn't painted or whatever. It sounds like an insecurity disease of some sort, and I hope I don't catch it! It's obvious you have stong opinions on how people should be valued, that's fine. But your mistake is assuming everyone else has that value system. By all means, keep working if it makes you feel better.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #62

Hey ronin, I never have surfed, but have acquired just about every ear problem known to medical science. I often thought it may be related to all that time I used to spend in the water (some of it not too pristine). Anyway,
I just stay out of it now (water) except for hot tubs and
a little "branch" in my bourbon

JG
Old 02-26-2005, 07:23 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the great replies! Cheers, Ben
Old 02-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's wrong with "I'm retired!!" *?!?

Quote:
Just got the word from my doctor that my good ear is 1/3 occluded and the one that is giving me problems is growing a surfer's knot and closing off. * Friggin' surfer's ear! *I had to explain it to her. *She's going to verify my diagnosis on the internet. * :-/
Ouch. Sorry to hear that, Ronin. Keep us posted, man. Sounds like you need a surfing doctor, and I don't mean the Internet.

I've often wondered if Monterey diving days (wetsuits, couldn't afford drysuits) did the same to one of my ears. I've been strictly warm-water since then and I'm not eager to test the hypothesis...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #65

I know nothing specific about surfer's ear, but I do have
a lot of experience with ear problems.
In general, surgery should be a last resort. I have heard of folks who ended up worse off than before
they had it. I have a whole collection of ear afflictions,
but until I go stone deaf, I will skip the surgery option.

JG
Old 02-27-2005, 05:23 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

There is something about the question "what do you do?" that has an elitist feel to it.

When my husband retired from a regular paycheck in his 40s, I think there were a number of people who thought he was a drug dealer. Once over a period of several weeks he made some large cash withdrawls from the bank. Our bank is pretty small and he had the same teller each time. On the last withdrawl, the teller asked "Mr. X, you are retired aren't you?" and my husband said she seemed uncomfortable. I was worried there would be agents of some sort knocking on our door.

The women at work think that I am the luckiest person around. I have a husband at home who cooks and cleans.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

As an expat I have often met partners/husbonds of women working abroad (embassies/companies/whatever) and while I of course envy them I generally experienced that other (mostly male) expats looked down on them.

Not that it would stop me from becoming an expat spouse! Any takers? 8)
Old 02-28-2005, 06:08 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is something about the question "what do you do?" that has an elitist feel to it. *

When my husband *retired from a regular paycheck in his 40s, I think there were a number of people who thought he was a drug dealer. *Once over a period of several weeks he made some large cash withdrawls from the bank. *Our bank is pretty small and he had the same teller each time. *On the last withdrawl, the teller asked "Mr. X, you are retired aren't you?" and my husband said she seemed uncomfortable. *I was worried there would be agents of some sort knocking on our door. *

The women at work think that I am the luckiest person around. *I have a husband at home who cooks and cleans.

Martha
Martha, I think that nosy qustions and a general air of too much interest in your personal business would probably inspire me to change banks. Bigger banks and brokers and those catering to the well off tend not to be ruffled by such transactions.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great thread -- I especially liked cut-throat's analysis of why so many former CEO's continue to be bothering people trying to be important and start foundations-- hilarious and right on target! (as an ex-ceo who did just that until i realized it was just ego balm and shut it down).

And Mikey's idea that ER solves work problems like divorce solves marriage problems -- sort of a suicidal final solution... intriguing, but I am with Nords that we should be proud to be ER, and we need to get that way by being proud of the way we spend our days. If you aren't then do something different.

I respect azanon's opinions -- it may reflect his having been in a closer family/community than others, so there is more sense of belonging and cross-obligation. When we all talk about spending more time with our families, we may be yearning for that sort of close bond, too, and it carries obligations on both sides.

In my view, education is the big conundrum: society puts lot of resources into educating youth with the hope that we'll figure out how to solve some of our collective problems later on down the road. So if you are really just hanging up your spurs for a life devoted to the care and feeding of your pot-belly, then you could be short-changing society.

The other conundrum for me is defense: lots of people are working hard and putting their lives on the line so I can be safe here in the good ole USA. Just like the bumper sitcker says, 'freedom isn't free', we don't get all the comforts of the modern world without a lot of sacrifices made by a lot of people. What is my obligation in return, especially if I don't pay taxes? Simply buying stuff isn't enough to make a vibrant culture and society worthy of defending and passing on to our kids.

My way out of these conundrums is to say to myself, "I may not do work in the way others do, but I am doing something I like and which one day I expect could be valuable to others if only in a small way". My 'contribution' is theoretical, future and modest: my scultpture hobby means I am learning to create art which people may be able to enjoy (or hate) and studying yoga means I might one day be able to teach it to elderly, over-stressed or over-weight people, or just people trying to clear the mental fog. Day to day I try to 'contribute to society' simply by not being another stressed out asshole. (some days I contribute more than others in that regard!)

Azanon, you can be a biologist, but you could be something else you like even better, if you had a few years to make a transition. You may not have an obligation to your family to have a high-status role in Little Rock society by their definition, but if you can figure out how to apply your skills and interests in some measured way toward doing something for the good of the tribe, then maybe that is the middle ground you are looking for.

Certainly just staying at work doesn't justify being a miserable son-of-a-gun any more than having money justifies being a selfish lay-about.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

I agree we need to be good citizens, that freedom isn't free, and there is a social contract, but I don't understand how being ER'ed violates that. If it's a taxes contributed issue, I believe ER's play plenty of it between capital gains, property tax, sales tax etc. just not payroll tax. In addition, if you have saved enough to ER, you probably made more during your working years than average, and you probably paid more taxes than average. In addition, your burden on society is so much less as an ER. Example, you're not clogging the freeway at rush hour, you drive less in general releasing less CO2 into the atmosphere, you can run your appliances at off peak hours, you buy your meals during non rush times at resturants and help support businesses that otherwise would be losing money on employees utilities etc. When you leave your job, you save the company money, while opening up a new position for a younger, less expensive employee, boosting shareholder profit...I could go on forever, but my point is I think ERing is the socially responsible thing to do!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #71

Quote:
4% of $1MM is $40000. You live in California, right?
My apology, i was talking about living, not existing. *Also, if that would constitute living for you, are you absolutely sure nothing's going to happen over the course of a potential 50-60 year retirement to lower that withdrawal rate? *If so, by all means, pull the trigger with a mil.

I value safety, security, comfort, and responsibility above freedom. *Quitting a job in my 30s that i worked 25 years in school to get (from age 6 to grad school) would easily be the dumbest thing I could ever do, IMHO.

Again, my very point is i realize the masses are quite comfort with peanuts for income. *I know this for a fact cause I see it with my own eyes everytime i drive through my small hometown in Arkansas; those dilapidated houses I spoke of earlier. *I will always prefer comfort - 40hrs/week of work, until I can get the same level of comfort minus the work.

ER or comfortable, deserving-of-respect living? * My answer is, and will be both, thank you very much ;-). *The irony here is you guys advocating retiring to live on virtually nothing are actually the status quo. *I'm the outlier. *There's all kinds of people from my small hometown living on nothing, have nothing, and you can certainly find many of them inside their "house" at 2pm on a Thursday.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

IMO the best gift you can give to society is to avoid becoming a burden on it.

Accomplishing this should be enough, and It would be, if more made it a goal.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #73

Quote:
IMO the best gift you can give to society is to avoid becoming a burden on it.
Its too bad so few think that way. 9 out of 10 people will not receive that explanation well. You'll say it, then they'll just think you're lazy just the same.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

azanon,

No one is saying live in a dumpster or go without health insurance. I think everyone would agree that you should ER if you are risking true poverty/destitution. But the definition of comfortable is different for each person. If you are only comfortable with a house that impresses/intimitades your friends and associates, and a luxury car that does the same, that's your preference. Others need less than that. And what's with "deserving of respect" ? From who, you? Who gives a crap what others think, especially if they judge you for material posessions? They should judge you for who you are, not what you own. I'm curious, are you just trolling, because if you are, I commend you for your subtlety and sophistication.....
Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Seriously, I've met janitors I have more respect for than some of my co-workers. *It is pretty sad when people are judged by their salary or their material possessions. *
Old 03-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
azanon,*I'm curious, are you just trolling, because if you are, I commend you for your subtlety and sophistication.....
I would fall over if Azanon is a troll. The negative attitude about social ambition which seems to be dominant on this board is I believe unusual in much of the world. If people have good educations, live in rich countries, and can get $100,000+ yearly incomes maybe they can afford to ignore class?

I grew up Southern. The only slur that is still widely acceptable, even in print journalism, is "po white trash". It may be less true today, but certainly when I was young a man did his children and especially his daughters a real service if he worked hard and tried to "get ahead". If he was a bit lax at this, his wife and in-laws tried to help him see the light. How can that be new to anyone?

Class stratification is everywhere. The Irish have "lace curtain" vs. "shanty" Irish. When a Finn says, "Hey, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck", he is alluding to a common stereotype, and letting you know that he has elevated himself out of a rural past

For those who may not know Spanish, my current sig means "The more you have, the more you are worth." This is a Mexican proverb, not my personal attitude. But the social reality expressed does not strike me as news.

Mikey
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Mikey,

You are 100% correct about classism, but just because it's there doesn't mean I have to like it!

I have read enough of azanon's posts to know he's not a troll, just asking if he was playing devil's advocate/looking for a reaction. I will freely admit that I have the luxury of analyzing my situation and turning my nose to social climbing, since we (my wife and I ) have already reached a socially acceptable level. Points to ponder.....
Old 03-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #78

Quote:
No one is saying live in a dumpster or go without health insurance. *I think everyone would agree that you should ER if you are risking true poverty/destitution.
Oh really? *Then why have so many admitted on these boards they're having to skim, skim, and skim some more to get expenses low enough to not dwindle their savings? *Clearly, you dont read the boards here cause some absolutely are going without health insurance, many dont have but wish they could afford long-term health care. *And there has been several posts written with the concern of how to construct their portfolio to keep up with inflation for the next several decades. *

Dont kid yourself; several here who've pulled the trigger are worrying. *That much has been obvious to me.

Quote:
If you are only comfortable with a house that impresses/intimitades your friends and associates, and a luxury car that does the same, that's your preference.
Impresses my friends? * How bout self respect. *I was given all the breaks in the world and you think i'm supposed to be able to live with myself by squandering all of those opportunities. *Again, maybe you can do that, but I cant. *Maybe that makes you stronger? *Who's to say.

Quote:
And what's with "deserving of respect" ? *From who, you? *Who gives a crap what others think, especially if they judge you for material posessions? *They should judge you for who you are, not what you own.
Its a little kid that declares "I dont care what anyone thinks!" * Grow up. * You're not fooling anyone. *Most adults dont say that anymore cause they know everyone else knows better and wouldn't be fooled. *At least you picked up on the reality that there's several things the world "should" do. *We can talk all day long about how things should be over a beer; *would be a lot of fun. * When we're done endulging, lets go back to reality. *Leave the bar discussions at the bar.

Quote:
I'm curious, are you just trolling, because if you are, I commend you for your subtlety and sophistication.....
I'm still employeed and have the nice house and car I spoke of, so what do you think? *I also have health insurance and dont worry whether i'm going to have enough tomorrow cause on top of savings, i have a paycheck. *

My current intention is to retire at 58 when i'll be eligible for both a federal pension and a SS suppliment (until i reach 62 for SS). *This to say nothing of a minimum 2 mil liquid portfolio I intend to have when that happens. *Absolutely not trolling, I plan to practice what i preach. *I will retire in both comfort and safety.

Subtle i'm not, and sophistated this isnt either. *I certainly dont consider myself Einstein simply cause I know it would be idiotic to retire with 1Mil in my 30s. *If my brashness keeps just one person from ruining their life, then i'd be worth it.*

Everybody has their idea of ER. *Mine is more conservative. 58 instead of 62, 65, or never like most americans. *A rather large retirement stream of income rather than Social security being the primary source. *I'm not an extremist. *For just about everything in my life, I think of balance. *Yin-yang. *The extremist are rarely correct.

If i have to work a little longer to have no worries, then so be it. Its the lesser of the evils for me.

On the topic, here's an msn article: *http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ly/P106449.asp
Old 03-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I think we have already discussed the msn article. Anyone who could blow 1.5 mil in 7 years had to have been fully invested in tech stocks. Anyway, I plan to pull the trigger in 2 years with a little over a mil. Will be 53. I will not live like a king in retirement, but I don't now. The little things in life make me happy. I do have health insurance and a LTC policy, so I feel comfortable with my plans. 8)
Old 03-02-2005, 05:23 AM   #80

Quote:
I think we have already discussed the msn article. Anyone who could blow 1.5 mil in 7 years had to have been fully invested in tech stocks. *Anyway, I plan to pull the trigger in 2 years with a little over a mil. Will be 53. I will not live like a king in retirement, but I don't now. The little things in life make me happy. I do have health insurance and a LTC policy, so I feel comfortable with my plans.
Sounds great to me, especially if your primary residence is paid for. *Heck, i'd probably go with a 5-6% withdrawal rate until you reached SS age, then back it down to 3-4%.

Quote:
I think we have already discussed the msn article. Anyone who could blow 1.5 mil in 7 years had to have been fully invested in tech stocks.
If Harry Dent and some others who've written on the topic of the impending deflation/depression in 5-10 years from now are right, this could happen to a great many people, not just those in techs. Again, someone pulling the trigger in a marginal situation, I only wish them the best of luck. If for no other reason, cause they're going to need it.