What to reply to "what do you do?" when FIREd

There are also expectations of myself of maintaing  certain standard of living.

But if the Financial Markets tumble into negative returns for the next 30 years, I have run the Trout Bum in a trailer in Montana lifestyle past the wife. 8) - She says she'll still love me. :)

I could adjust to being white trailer trash in Montana :)

Its pretty sad if you cannot see your way to do what you want because of what others might think or say.

But are they completely wrong is the real question?  I studied for a crapload of tests, pulled a many an all-nighters to get to where I am.  "I" would question me if i pulled the trigger on what i have now prematurly, to the point that i had to significantly downgrade my life as a result of it.

I'm saying I think there is some happy medium for all of us depending on your circumstance.  I think if you're talented, earned the degrees, and were given special breaks esp from the sacrifices made by others, then people almost have a right to expect "something" from you, especially if they helped put you in that position.

I guess you can still say f'em, but that won't make you right.

Are the only choices the extremes? 65+ or in your 30s? Whatever happened to balance?

But are they completely wrong is the real question?  I studied for a crapload of tests, pulled a many an all-nighters to get to where I am.  "I" would question me if i pulled the trigger on what i have now prematurly, to the point that i had to significantly downgrade my life as a result of it.

I'm saying I think there is some happy medium for all of us depending on your circumstance.  I think if you're talented, earned the degrees, and were given special breaks esp from the sacrifices made by others, then people almost have a right to expect "something" from you, especially if they helped put you in that position.

I guess you can still say f'em, but that won't make you right.

If they have such rights, then make out a check and be done with it. There is no reason to be miserable just because someone else feels you owe them something in some ill-defined way. Tell me: who determines what makes you happy? You or other people?

And, yes, I can say fcuk 'em, and if I am confident in my course, I would be right. In any case, achieving FIRE ought to be accomplishment enough for anyone.

Now i'm not saying I'm not planning on ER, cause i am, and i make no apologies there.  But I'm am saying I don't think we can just void all expectations others have of me (us).  Surely, there is a happy medium somewhere in there?
Azanon, a lot depends on one's individual personality. I think many of us here are what are often called ornery b*astards. We have somewhat weird ways of seeing the world and its social mores. Since the majority here seem to be this way, it is easy to begin to feel that it the way one ought to be.

I would much rather have discovered a vaccine for Herpes, say, than to have done what I did which is actually not a helluvalot. But I wasn't smart enough, or dedicated enough, or I was too lazy, too pleasure seeking, etc.

Horses for courses. If you are reasonably happy, I think you have a good high road and I respect you for it.

Many of us here are old farts (regardless of chronological age) with an ability to live cheaply and make reasonable investment decisions. Not bad at all, but not exactly society's benefactors either.

Some people just have a strong F-U streak, just like some people are tall or short. Nothing much can be done about it, from what I have seen and personally experienced in myself. If you get chills when you hear "Take This Job and Shove It", you are probably this type.

Still, I at least would never hold it up as a goal for any young person.

Once my Dad said to me, "You have done less of what you didn't want to do than any man I have ever known." Now that is a very mixed message, but I took it as a compliment! :)

Mikey

I'm definitely in the ornery bastard category.

My wife told me last night that she hopes little Gabes first words arent "Jesus H f***ing Christ!"
:eek:

I told her he might leave the "H" out, but if he didnt, he's 1/26th of the way to learning the alphabet! :)

In any case, achieving FIRE ought to be accomplishment enough for anyone.

My initial point is just that; I bet hundreds of folks living in those decrepid houses back from my small hometown are "FIRE'd". They may feel accomplishment for being one of those folks, but I know i'm not impressed at all. The masses do that.

Well

I'll be the first to admit to a "artsy fartsy" element in all of this - after all I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, sorta liberal and my Depression Era father fell briefly under the influence of "Five Acres and Independance" after WW II - before he joined the consumerism of the late 50's and 60's.

Some of the more extreme elements of the LBYM genre border on cult status.

My initial point is just that; I bet hundreds of folks living in those decrepid houses back from my small hometown are "FIRE'd".  They may feel accomplishment for being one of those folks, but I know i'm not impressed at all.  The masses do that.

OK, go right ahead and try to impress people. Buy a Lexus, move to a ritzy 'hood, vacation on the Riviera, etc. Have a ball, if it makes you happy.

Just seems like a rather sad and pathetic life to me.

Hello brewer! Good post, but I understand where
azanon was coming from. I struggle with this all the
time. After decades of "livin' large", we just don't do it now (can't really). However, the lure is till there, and so
I continue to have a style ideal which must be met.
OTOH, I know that I could go the other way and even approach subsistence living. This is a big advantage(knowing how far you can cut). However, I am an all-or- nothing guy (always have been). So, I either keep up the UMC facade, or fade back into the woods. It could go either way. Stay tuned :)

JG

OK, go right ahead and try to impress people. Buy a Lexus, move to a ritzy 'hood, vacation on the Riviera, etc. Have a ball, if it makes you happy.
Just seems like a rather sad and pathetic life to me.
Hi Brewer, give the guy a break. ;) If he wants to work another 5, 10 or more years to get all upper middle class trappings that the masses can't afford, that's his choice and privelege. For his sake, let's hope that he can live long past his retirement to continue to enjoy them. Besides, let's not forget if he continues to work and they increase the FICA ceiling, he'll continue to contribute even more to our SS retirement fund.

MJ :eek: :D

I'm just suggesting that I think it makes sense to consider some degree of balance with a goal of ER.  You can still ER, but do so in such a way as to not be excessively recklass.  If it takes that extra 5-10 years to have peace of mind, to have "enough" as Dominequez (sp) says, then so be it.  He did say "enough" is not going to be the same for everyone.  As i said, I was raised in a well-off family, so I'm "cursed" with being used to comfortable living.

The radical ones going for your 30s, all i can say is more power to you.  Those of you clearly want ER more than me.  By all means, enjoy that 15 year old Cavalier.  Also, dont forgot to pay your annual terminx bill.  Those roaches falling from the ceiling are a bitch.

I noticed the website owner claims he retired at 31 or thereabouts yet does speaking engagements for no less than 25K a pop.  I seriously doubt this guy is living in one of those homes I speak of.

Back on topic, if you cant just say "I'm retired" and feel right about it, then maybe you should do a little soul searching to see if some of what I said applies to you.

>>then people almost have a right to expect "something" from you, especially if they helped put you in that position.

What a very strange way of thinking...nobody has any "right" to expect anything from you...the best you can hope for out of life is to be happy, if the people around you aren't content to see you happy (at whatever income level that is) then you have the wrong people around you.

I for one ER'ed in my 30's so I could spend time with my kids while they are still young enough to think I am cool. Does anyone think that in 30 years I'll regret spending time with my kids and I would have been better off in a fancier house, newer car, better clothes? and have all my kids be strangers to me?

Everyone on of my wifes siblings lives in a nicer neighborhood then me, bigger/fancier house, newer cars, better TV, nicer clothes....and they all 50-60-70 hours a week and only see there kids on the weekends if they are lucky.

Your decision about when to ER should have absolutely nothing to do about what "others" think about what you should/could.should have/could have accomplished with your life. They don't have to live your life, you do. Of course your *immediate* families need/wants needs to be factored in, but nobody beyond that has any say in how I life my life.

ER's a commitment, not a compromise.

Thanks, Cut-Throat, I stand corrected on the personal cards. It's a fine reason to ensure that people know how to contact you!

While I disagree with Greaney's moderator behavior, I think that charging high fees for public speaking is the first test of the customer's commitment. And $15K isn't very much for that gig.

[rant]

But as for the rest of this thread-- geez, what a pathetic debate, and I mean that in the inoffensive dictionary sense of both words.

If you can't proudly proclaim to all your friends, family, & neighbors: "I'm retired!" then you should shred your ER membership card and report to the nearest cubicle for re-education retraining. "You're hired!"

No wonder ER gets a bad name-- the population appears to be poisoned with people ashamed to admit it or at best confusing others by playing word games. I confess to using "In the event of what?" with those who've had a few too many, but after that smart-assed icebreaker I usually straighten out and simply say "I'm retired".

That's led to some of the best conversations and friendships I've ever had-- kinda like this board but in person instead of through a modem. You may conclude that the "ER stigma" attracts a crowd of moochers & enviers, but I don't know how to tell that it's associated with ER and not with something else. I do know that if ER is professed furtively & with a connotation of shame, then you've earned the reaction that you get.

Look at the paradox-- or the tragedy. You ER because you want something better than a "working life". Then you're unhappy & lonely because others disapprove. So you stop discussing ER and no one knows why you're unhappy. No one knows you're unhappy at all because you no longer have friends or acquaintances-- no wonder you're lonely!

If you can't afford to maintain your lifestyle or your possessions to YOUR standards-- not HGTV or MTV-- then don't ER. But if you can afford your ER standards, then you'll find that you have the time & energy to see that it's done right. Whenever we start a new home-improvement project I try to imagine how I ever got this done during my working years. Nights, weekends, & vacations were not meant to be spent trying to cram in upgrades at the expense of family time.

Real friends don't disappear when you ER. Outside of your spouse & kids, if your family doesn't approve then your best approach is to quietly mention that you feel you've done what's best for you & your family, and that you'd appreciate their support-- or at least their civility. (If your immediate family doesn't support your ER then you have other problems.) And my neighbors are thrilled to know that we're around while they're slaving away. Our house is the kid hangout (I think kids endorse the ER lifestyle) and I'm happy to lend neighbors a tool or a hand.

As for the moochers, if you didn't loan them money during your working years then you don't have to loan them money now. If you feel guilted into it by your "good luck" (e.g., hard work) then donate the "loan" to charity. When one of these people says "Oooh, you must be rich!" I reply "Yes, in time but not in assets." When you offer to help with your time instead of your money then you'll quickly find out what type of friend they really are.

If they're envious, you can try "Well, it's a personal choice and it's not for everyone." That implies you're either making a sacrifice (by "only" raising one kid) or that they're still working because they're better at it than you are. (They'll certainly have more practice!) Don't worry if that first attempt doesn't work because these people aren't worth a second attempt.

The "workers" whom I tremendously respect are those who tell me "Well, I'm sorry that you haven't found your avocation". They're "working" because they're having too much fun to do anything else, and they understand ERs better than anyone. I tell them "You're right, I didn't find an avocation until I ER'd." They understand that too. And we usually become good friends-- which is ironic considering that they're so busy working.

On of the most interesting things I've learned in my tae kwon do dojong is that occupation is irrelevant. No one cares about your work skills-- especially if you can't hit a decent roundkick. The socializing is about TKD tournaments, advancement tests, how our TKD kids are doing, and how ibuprofen consumption seems to be directly proportional to age.

Now everyone go look in your mirrors. If you can't say "I'm ER'd!" or "I'm going to ER!" with a smile on your face, then it's not society's problem-- it's yours. You need to get back to work, and maybe to get a life.

[/rant]

I couldn't be prouder that I have been able to retire at 55 with the financial security to live the life style I choose. When asked what I do, I do not hesitate to say that my wife and I are both retired and enjoying life. If the questioner is younger then I am more than willing to discuss how I was able to accomplish this. As to the question of "what do you do all day?" my answer is "whatever I feel like doing". If the questioner is older their reaction usually is something like "man, I wish I could retire but I'll probably have to work until I drop!".

Grumpy

Is your wife working FarmerED?  If anyone in your household is working, big deal if you ER'ed.  Someone's earning the money.

Retiring in one's 30s with no one bringing home any income is highly suspect to me.  I mean, damn, you could live another 50 years.  I've seen financial advisors talk about the risk of retiring with a 30 year outlook (instead of the more typical 20-25 year one) and they state it can be quite risky.  I could just see their jaw drop if asked to analize a 50 year retirement!

I'll say this much, if someone retired in their 30s, you better at least be a millionairre, or have some other form of alternate income, or I guarantee you you will be going back to work or you will be roughing it bigtime.  Granted, if you have terminal cancer, that's another situation alltogether. A mil's probably plenty for the frugile retiree quitting in his mid 50s or later, but 30s?

So it blows my mind someone can make enough money by their 30s to be able to live off of that for another 50 years.  Throw compounding out the door, cause you didn't work long enough to reap any (real) benefits of compounding.

I'm just suggesting that I think it makes sense to consider some degree of balance with a goal of ER.  You can still ER, but do so in such a way as to not be excessively recklass.  If it takes that extra 5-10 years to have peace of mind, to have "enough" as Dominequez (sp) says, then so be it.  He did say "enough" is not going to be the same for everyone.  As i said, I was raised in a well-off family, so I'm "cursed" with being used to comfortable living.

The radical ones going for your 30s, all i can say is more power to you.  Those of you clearly want ER more than me.  By all means, enjoy that 15 year old Cavalier.  Also, dont forgot to pay your annual terminx bill.  Those roaches falling from the ceiling are a bitch.

I noticed the website owner claims he retired at 31 or thereabouts yet does speaking engagements for no less than 25K a pop.  I seriously doubt this guy is living in one of those homes I speak of.

Back on topic, if you cant just say "I'm retired" and feel right about it, then maybe you should do a little soul searching to see if some of what I said applies to you.

Hey, balance is great. I don't plan on retiring until my mid-40s because I need to provide adequately for my kids and build up enough capital to sustain my chosen standard of life. What I object to is the notion that I or anyone else needs to justify our choices to people not directly involved in the ER decision or society at large. If you want to work until you have enough ducats to live a pimpin' lifestyle, I don't have a problem with that. However, if you are slaving for the man just to keep up appearances, you'd be lucky to even deserve my scorn.

I guess it just comes down to respect for me, brewer.  As i said, a lot of people make sacrifices for me to have an edge in this world.  On some levels, i feel accountable to yield a harvest of fruit from the seeds planted by those that love me.  So you could be in my situation, and just say thinks for all the handouts and sacrifices, i'm just going to kick back and enjoy it.  I just cant do that.

You can have pride in yourself all day long, but no matter how hard you try, that isn't going to change others minds.  If you're in your 30s-40s and you cant think of one tangible thing to tell someone how you're contributing to society, you will not be seen favorably.  Maybe that doesn't bother you, but the fact of what they're going to think will remain just the same.   And, hey, i certainly recognize any tangible contribution, such as raising your kids.

Again, going back to "your money or you life" which i just read, i dont recall the author ever stating to shorten your retirement date so you dont have to do anything.  He suggested retiring early so you could contribute to society and the earth in other ways.  But that he was always going to contribute, was a given for him.

I guess it just comes down to respect for me, brewer.  As i said, a lot of people make sacrifices for me to have an edge in this world.  On some levels, i feel accountable to yield a harvest of fruit from the seeds planted by those that love me.  So you could be in my situation, and just say thinks for all the handouts and sacrifices, i'm just going to kick back and enjoy it.  I just cant do that.

You can have pride in yourself all day long, but no matter how hard you try, that isn't going to change others minds.  If you're in your 30s-40s and you cant think of one tangible thing to tell someone how you're contributing to society, you will not be seen favorably.  Maybe that doesn't bother you, but the fact of what they're going to think will remain just the same.   And, hey, i certainly recognize any tangible contribution, such as raising your kids.

Again, going back to "your money or you life" which i just read, i dont recall the author ever stating to shorten your retirement date so you dont have to do anything.  He suggested retiring early so you could contribute to society and the earth in other ways.  But that he was always going to contribute, was a given for him.

So you believe we were put on earth to be production units, yielding a return on investment for parents, etc.? Sorry, I can't imagine seeing things that way. I espcially don't get this whole "contributing" thing. You realy think the only legitimate way to "contribute" is by remaining a wage slave? That's certainly not my bag.

Plenty of other ways to live your life, and most of them not nearly as pathetic as cringing at the tought of "what will they think?" all the time.

You realy think the only legitimate way to "contribute" is by remaining a wage slave?  That's certainly not my bag.

Pay attention.  Last sentence, second paragraph of my last post.  That's exactly what I didn't say.

Plenty of other ways to live your life, and most of them not nearly as pathetic as cringing at the tought of "what will they think?" all the time.

I guess not caring what anyone thinks about you is certainly an option.  Not the option I, and most others choose, but its an option for sure!  Have fun with that.

I care what a lot of people think;  my wife, my parents, my son, my siblings, my family, my friends, etc.  If you void people, what are you left with.  I would think not very much.

Azanon, you have generated some truly heated responses to your ideas. I think this is because you hit some bare nerves.

I like to give things the evolutionary test. If I can imagine Thor and Emma sitting around the fire somewhere along the Rhine saying or feeling what is being proposed, then I figure maybe it makes sense. But all I can imagine Thor and Emma and their neighbors thinking is pretty much what you have put forward.

Thor and Emma have a responsibility to the group. They will be respected, and earn benefits in proportion to the amount of meat Thor brings home, and the amount and quality of herbs ands roots Emma finds. Plus Thor's story telling ability, and Emma's childbearing prowess and skill as an herbalist. And on and on.

This is also how most people think today, even in America. Practically everyone in Asia thinks this way. They can't truly banish you from the tribe if you sit at home and play with kids instead of going to work the way the tribe could throw out Thor and Emma if Thor seemed to be getting a bit queasy at the prospect of facing another mastodon. But they can get the point across, to you or your kids.

I think probably most people here are thick skinned enough to ignore this, or don't live in the sorts of places where anybody would likely know much one way or the other about what they are doing. The guy who started this thread, Ben, is Scandinavian. Those are small countries which retain much of the old approaches.

It is totally beyond my ability to understand why anyone would hold up early retirement as a goal for others. ER is a good solution to work the way divorce is a good solution to marriage. Sometimes the best alternative, but not exactly a goal for most people. ER may be fun for many of us, but like Azanon says, 50 years is a long time to be without the flexibility conferred by current earnings.

Obviously very early retirement is only possible because people in certain occupations can generate very high earnings without accepting the socialization that usually comes with high earning positions. It is very definitely a minority possibility. I can think of lots of ways to derail it too. For one, adoption of asset taxes rather than income or production taxes. Not likely, but it has been proposed.

Anyway, to the extent that anyone cares, I would say if you hate your work and don't see the possibility of different work or different feelings toward what you have, by all means go for FIRE. In fact, go for FI in any case. It can't hurt anyone to get FI- it is truly a great feeling.

But to say someone who wants the respect of his community, who wants to deliver on the trust put in him, and the money spent on him is deserving of scorn is in my mind a statement that can only come from deep denial. Some people chafe under social expectations. They will know what to do. Others could consider themselves lucky and take the high road.

Personal note- I wish this described me. But in fact I am a classic work malcontent. Pretty much all aspects of organizational life annoyed me intensely. At the same time I was too lazy to be a good entrpreneur. Early on I gravitated toward investing, so here I am. But I have noticed that I am more comfortable socially since my kids are grown and my hair is gray.

Mikey

Azanon, I certainly respect your feeling of obligation to do right by those who sacraficed to give you opportunities in life.  I think that is great, and judging only by your philsophy regarding that, I believe they have reason to be very proud right now. I say do your thing...

I find myself saying the same thing as Brewer.  I am making my own way, and while I will forever appreciate the opportunities afforded me, as long as I am not interfering with anyone else's pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, they cannot pass judgment on my chosen path.  If someone thinks my FI and/or ER is not living up to expectations, they can go pound sand.

As far as what to say if/when I reach that stage, there are days where it seems like I will never get there, let alone think about an answer to the question...

Azanon, you have generated some truly heated responses to your ideas. I think this is because you hit some bare nerves.

As much as i've tried, there's nothing i can do about that. I think it has something to do with my personality(strong INTJ), but i tend to say what I think with little or sometimes no regard for how it will be received. Truth to me (meaning what i really think) is so valueable to me, that I wont even compromise it on account of being tactful.

Re: your post, excellent as always Mikey. I think you captured there is no right or wrong with either of our viewpoints. As with so many things, it just depends on who you are and your situation.

Yeah you are pretty obviously talented, as i can just tell by your writing and thoughtfulness. But you know, if you have a comfortable retirement, then I certainly wouldn't be your judge.

As far as what to say if/when I reach that stage, there are days where it seems like I will never get there, let alone think about an answer to the question...

I feel the same way. But you know by the time i do get there, I don't think i'll have any more problems with this contribution issue I brought up. I'm not going to pull the trigger with anything less than a mil, so surely I had to contribute quite a bit to save that much money.

I don't get this whole "contribute to society" thing. If I was able to use my talents and/or my luck to generate a pile of net worth to live on for the rest of my life, didn't I already contribute enough to society? I'm not asking for a handout from anyone and I'm not asking for government welfare, and I'm not going around stealing to support myself, so what's the problem?

Even for those lucky enough to inherit the family fortune at age 18 and decide not to work anymore, what's wrong with that? They are still going to spend some or all of that money and put it back in the economy. And they are not taking a job away from someone else that may need it more.

This whole thing about contributing to society is way overblown. If I don't bother anyone and live within the law, I'm always contributing to society whether I work or not. If I go to the store and buy an apple with the money I saved, I'm contributing to society.

Hello retire@40! I agree with every word of that post,
100%. Nicely done!

JG

Back
Top Bottom