What Would You Miss About Not Living In the US If You Were An Ex-Pat?

The main things you give up when you expat are the rights of citizenship.

I believe that if you are a US citizen living in another country you have all the rights of a US citizen, including being able to vote and having to pay US taxes.

Often times what you miss depends on where you are. Of course you can miss friends and family from anywhere, but other than that it depends on the differences.

I spent years as an expat in Latin America. I remember asking a fellow American in who had been in Buenos Aires for 5 years what he missed most about the US. His answer: 'napkins'.

(in Buenos Aires they have these non-absorbent wax paper things on the tables instead of paper napkins)

+1 on the napkins. For some reason they had the flimsiest pieces of paper that they passed off as napkins. A year or two after we returned from Buenos Aires and Uruguay (just a long vacation), I found one of those tiny napkins in my backpack. About the same amount of paper as a sheet of toilet paper (and I don't mean Quilted Triple Ply). Not something that would come in handy if you were chowing down on say a big burger, rack of ribs, corn on the cob, or a big slice of watermelon (here in America).

For me I would miss the little things too numerous to count. But there are probably advantages to other countries that I'm not as familiar with living here in the US. Cheap labor costs for domestic help being one of them.

I am of the opinion that wherever you go, there you are.

That means if you found reasons to hate where you live, soon enough you'll find reasons to hate the new place. Attitude change needs to come from within.

For some reason the old Paul Revere and the Raider's lyrics...

"Don't you see no matter what you do
You'll never run away from you"

always stuck with me. I guess it's the same basic attitude.

I'm actually pretty happy where I live, for the most part. And one of my friends made a really good observation. I've been back in the house for about 10 years now, getting the yard the way I want it. Had a 4-car garage built, and between fences, trees, shrubs, etc along much of the perimeter, it's quite secluded. And a lot of those trees and shrubs, I raised from babies. Or, well, acorns and seeds and saplings. To get something else like that, I'd probably have to move way out into the boonies, or spend a lot of time and money to get the fencing/landscaping up to the way I want it to get the seclusion I want. And, I'm also convenient to work, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, shopping, etc.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful answers. You articulated what I sensed I would miss but couldn't quite come up with the answers; maybe I was just so stunned that she should she wouldn't miss anything! And yeah, it can be as small as just missing ice cubes in a drink to medium (not being able to communicate readily with people you encounter or not getting Netflix---didn't realize that) to huge (civil liberties we have here).

Andre, your life sounds perfect---especially for you. Meets your needs. And aren't you the lucky one---fully happy where you are.

The woman who intends to move to Ecuador painted a very rosy picture---but it did seem very simplistic, with no shades of gray. Ecuador = paradise. US = H*LL or at least purgatory. Some what she said almost seemed patronizing, like that the natives were so happy and well-adjusted that there was no crime and everyone treated each other nicely. Aren't people people, regardless of where they live?

Possibly she is bitter. Seems she feels (and possibly, she IS) forced out of retirement in the US, with no pension and little money saved (the latter being a result of decisions she made and the spending she did up to now---I can say this because we both were in the same low-paying human service field, but I was able to retire well at 52---of course, I am married and she is not, so we could live on one income and bank the other).

What was really ironic was that the other woman at the dinner who was agreeing about the US being awful and wanting to move cited how people don't socialize and just stare at electronic screens. After her diatribe, guess who took out her cell phone and started to play with it?

The bottom line is, while there are many things that can lower our mental, emotional, and physical health in the US, we can fight against it and still have a decent---even good---quality of life.

As someone who currently is a full-time expat, I especially resonate with Kramer and Papadad's posts.

I live at Lake Chapala in Jalisco, Mexico, which is probably the single largest American and Canadian expat enclave in the world. It's long-established and while definitely still very Mexican (we gringos make up well under 5% of the population) it is definitely "Mexico with training wheels" due to lots of amenities and goods for expats, much English spoken (though some Spanish is still necessary), etc.

Being here, for us, is primarily a financial choice. It would be impossible to have weather anything like we have here in a place we could afford, but far more important are the health care and insurance costs, which are a small fraction of those in the U.S. Obamacare looks to make that less of an issue, and of course Medicare eventually, but that's many years down the road for me.

Thing we miss about the U.S., in no particular order:

1. Solitude in nature on foot (hiking) and on bicycle. My frame of reference is years in Colorado and New Mexico, which are admittedly paradises for these pursuits. Hiking here is limited, steep and dangerous (the trails are covered in pea-size gravel), biking suicidal.

2. Easy access to esoteric consumer goods. We replenish on our U.S. trips, but it's nothing like being a click away from an Amazon.com order or being able to shop Trader Joe's or Costco on a whim.

3. The rule of law still means something. Live in Mexico or anywhere else in Latin America for any length of time and you quickly adopt the local mindset, which boils down to (translating the Spanish) "nothing good ever comes from an encounter with the police." On a practical level we are certainly less likely to be victims of violent crime here than in any major city in the U.S., but break-ins and petty theft are rampant AND - this is the important part for those who actually live full-time rather than visit such countries - there is just knowing that there is NO recourse if you are a victim of crime here - none. Not even any point in reporting property crime here, as the locals will be the first to tell you.

The woman who visited Ecuador was clearly naive, but I can tell you that there are many down here (and more coming all the time) who whether through misfortune, bad planning or a combination thereof find themselves at retirement age trying to live a decent lifestyle on what amounts to a Social Security only income. That is do-able here and many other places with great weather, fresh fruits and veggies at half U.S. costs, medical care out-of-pocket for what amounts to U.S. co-pays and - perhaps most important later on - the option of assisted living/nursing home care in excellent facilities for ~$1200-2000 a month total. Certainly there's a minority here and in other retirement hot spots in México who could afford to live anywhere, but for most I've met it's somewhere in between La Jolla weather on an Omaha budget or living independently among adventurous expats here on a budget that would dictate sharing a mobile home in a redneck backwater while dodging mosquitoes and hurricanes back home. If cost were no object (and universal health care were the law of the land) I can only think of a handful of expats I've met who would choose to be based anywhere but in their native country.

that said, my worst bit of inequality and unfair treatment was at the hands of an over zealous commander of the missouri state highway patrol. This trooper cuffed and stuffed me for no cause what so ever. Cost me a thousand bucks and really soured my taste on "how fair" america really is (or is becoming). My victory moment was when the district attorney looked to the commander and told him if he ever did something like that again, she would personally pull his badge and toss him in jail for between 3 and 5 years. I felt vindicated....but still ..... this great nation is becoming a police/nanny state that we need to defend.
Ugh. Reminds me of a video posted for a 4th of July DUI checkpoint. This kind of thing infuriates me. I'm not saying any other country would be better, but we can't let up on limiting the power of law enforcement (and also 3 letter acronyms):

If I expatriated I would miss having a real home ---

And then, there's the food.... :D

Yes sometimes Kansas City can be tough ---- but I found a Vietnamese store near City Market that makes a Po-Boy bread that comes close.

Alas I cannot convince a certain 'un-named ' Italian Deli that Muffs are round - round, ROUND! not sub shape.

heh heh heh - they taste ok though but just ok. :cool:

Never expatriated myself but both kids have. Daughter in London w/ 3 kids, son single in Tanzania, was in SA and before in Mali (total of ~6 years for him). Daughter was in London first for 2-3 years until 2008, returned two years ago.

The money thing isn't an issue for either of them; her husband in finance and son running large engineering projects; so no incentive to be there for either other than jobs they like. We visit London regularly for the grandkids, have been to Africa four times. What's the common theme from both? That it's so much easier living in US. I do believe daughter prefers the very expensive private education available in London. They've had good experience with healthcare there (public) but they do have private insurance backup. This with two births, one infant with unusual heart condition.

As has been said, it all depends on the individual doing the expatriating/traveling; more so than the location IMO. We can't afford to move to London (do miss the grandkids) but if THEY were where my son is in TZ I could almost see it. However, my requirements are lower than DW. Poor meat (but incredible vegetables), power and internet on/off all the time, impossible to get car repairs done, water likely ok but use bottled anyway. No real entertainment to speak of unless you want to see wild animals regularly in the nearby game reserve. As much as I say I could do it, in all likelihood after a few months I'd be done. Language is a big deal, and I'm not good at learning them.

If we could afford where they are in London, I couldn't handle the density of life. Stores, sidewalks, everywhere is just crowded. Manhattan seemed spacious.

Just my random thoughts and observations. It's great for some, wouldn't work for many.

Ugh. Reminds me of a video posted for a 4th of July DUI checkpoint. This kind of thing infuriates me. I'm not saying any other country would be better, but we can't let up on limiting the power of law enforcement (and also 3 letter acronyms):

I am no lawyer, but in reading viewers' comments of this youtube, learned that the SCOTUS upheld the DUI checkpoints as constitutional. Secondly, the driver refusing to lower the window gives the police reasonable cause to think the driver is hiding something in his breath, as ruled in another case.

I am sure that police brutality and overstepping its power exist in many cases in the US. But one is welcome to go to a 3rd world country to see more of the true egregious examples of these. When police brutality occurs in the US and is brought to light, there will be repercussions. Not so in many other countries.

In Western Europe, the only place I would consider visiting for a long period, let alone living in, the hotels always asked for our passports, and sometimes even held them for a while. Same with train conductors. And here in the US, one does not even need to produce proof of citizenship in order to vote.

PS. I should have added Canada and some developed Asian countries to the places that I would feel comfortable visiting and living in.

PPS. Arghh! Forgot about Australia and NZ, places that I have been. And there will be more...

Last edited:
And here in the US, one does not even need to produce proof of citizenship in order to vote.
Yes, and isn't that wonderful! Particularly if you are not an eligible voter.

Ha

Never heard of it until today. But, man does it look bad! So bad it's good, I bet...

Yep....so bad I bought it and have watched it a number of times. Kind of a weird twist of Doc Savage and.....well......a super cool guy. With any truly good "bad" movie....it has several big names in it. Maybe the only movie I have that trumps it is Cannibal Woman in the Avocado Jungle of Death with Bill Maher.....Yes....I sadly admit I have this one as well

Last edited:
Yes sometimes Kansas City can be tough ---- but I found a Vietnamese store near City Market that makes a Po-Boy bread that comes close.

Alas I cannot convince a certain 'un-named ' Italian Deli that Muffs are round - round, ROUND! not sub shape.

If its not round its a Po Boy.

I believe that if you are a US citizen living in another country you have all the rights of a US citizen, including being able to vote and having to pay US taxes.

I mean that you lack the rights of citizenship in the country you live in. All of the people around you have more rights than you do. Your US rights do not apply to other countries.

If you say so... :D It is pretty hard to find good, fresh French bread in some areas, and as I'm sure you know, the bread can make or break a po'boy.

Even if your muffaletta is round, I'll bet the bun won't be the right consistency or warm enough either.

You need to move back here, unclemick!! Either that, or time to come back for a nice long visit. Then you can fill up on your muffs & po'boys & decent food. Life is too short to eat crummy food.

Attachments

• chicken poboy.jpg.jpg
    chicken poboy.jpg.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • gumbo.jpg.jpg
    gumbo.jpg.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5
  • TBC.jpg
    TBC.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 5
I believe that if you are a US citizen living in another country you have all the rights of a US citizen, including ... having to pay US taxes.

Yeah, I'd hate to have to give up that "right"... ;)

The right to have to pay taxes :D

Couldn't resist.

If you say so... :D It is pretty hard to find good, fresh French bread in some areas, and as I'm sure you know, the bread can make or break a po'boy.

Even if your muffaletta is round, I'll bet the bun won't be the right consistency or warm enough either.

You need to move back here, unclemick!! Either that, or time to come back for a nice long visit. Then you can fill up on your muffs & po'boys & decent food. Life is too short to eat crummy food.

Heck with this....I would die for a good greasy donner kebab....almost move back to the UK just for this.

4) If you are happy living abroad, you will discover 'THE CURSE' of the expat. You'll love the one you're in but really miss aspects of the other, no matter which one you're in.

This has been true for many of the UK expats I have known here. There must be something wrong with me - either that or I am just an unusual case, as I have not missed the UK since settling here permanently. I came here at the age of 23, 26 years ago, and haven't missed it that much at all, with one exception. After 3 months here, I decided I was missing England, so went back for Christmas with the intent of also setting myself up with a job and a life etc. After a few months back there, I couldn't get Los Angeles (where I had been living) out of my head and returned a few months later. Since then, I haven't missed it once. One visit back was all it took to "cure" me.

I do enjoy my visits back to England but something about it feels too comfortable and familiar - almost like putting on an old shoe that is very comfortable but offers no surprises (bad analogy probably) - or slipping back into a habit that wasn't all that good for me to begin with. I'm sure a shrink would have a field day with that description. The UK feels very contained and even rather mundane. Nothing changes. Things are always the same. But then, I am one of those loopy Californians now :LOL:

My family would feel quite insulted if they knew this was what I thought. Perhaps one day I'll change my mind and go back for a few years, but the US feels like home.

Last edited:
Yep....so bad I bought it and have watched it a number of times. Kind of a weird twist of Doc Savage and.....well......a super cool guy. With any truly good "bad" movie....it has several big names in it. Maybe the only movie I have that trumps it is Cannibal Woman in the Avocado Jungle of Death with Bill Maher.....Yes....I sadly admit I have this one as well
"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" is not so bad it's good. It's so good it's great, IMHO.

It's the first major studio sci-fi movie that was written by and for people who love the genre and comic books and off-the-wall humor and mashups and satire and poking fun at genre conventions. Some movies throw in everything but the kitchen sink. Airplane comes to mind. Buckaroo Banzai (BB) throws the kitchen sink at you.

In ordinary sci-fi the technical and cultural differences are rarely explained, they just are, and the audience accepts them. In BB the differences are at the same time utterly familiar and off the wall different. Much of the audience reacts by thinking this is something that Must Be Understood. Nope. Don't bother. Go with the flow.

It's worth seeing if just for the performances of John Lithgow and Christopher Lloyd as the bad guys, Jeff Goldblum and Peter Weller as the good guys.

For those who need a plot summary (SPOILERS, duh):

So the movie's plot - as much as there is - involves totally awesome Buckaroo breaking through to the 8th dimension vis-a-vis a suspiciously-similar-to-a-famous-DeLorean machine he bulit, which drags back with him the knowledge that such travel can be obtained in the human realm. While a character who has been stranded in our dimension for a long time learns of this, other things happen - including Ellyn Bursten, who tries to kill our hero while he rocks out at a packed club in New Jersey with his sidekicks/band-members The Hong Kong Caveliers. Then a bunch of 8th Dimensioners show up and try to start something with Buckaroo, who is obviously too awesome to have any of that kind of **** happen on his dimensional watch. Other aliens also intervene, who for some reason are Jamaican, and the whole universe hangs in the balance, according to what Buckaroo either does or not do next.

Would your mind sharing the name of the town, either in the forum or by PM?

We're in Hua Hin. I was reading various posts on the Hua Hin Forum, which you can easily google (not sure if it's ok to post a link).

One thing I miss when outside the USA is access to supplies that are usually easily available ..... it adds time to complete projects when you have to preplan and accumulate material instead of going to a local supply store and getting what you need.

Back
Top Bottom