Join Early Retirement Today

What'd You Do First Week of Retirement
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What'd You Do First Week of Retirement

Just curious what some your you RE's did on your first few days of retirement.

I had always joked I was going to go down to the busy intersection corner near my place of employment and wave and smile at the people having to still go in to work.

I didn't do that.

I also intended to sleep in. But for about three or four days I kept waking up at the same time anyway even though I did not set the alarm. But by day four or five, I was sleeping in, until my body woke up of its own accord.

My wife and I went out to dinner the second evening to celebrate. Just the two of us. No big party.

All in all, I had no big adjustment. I just kind of slid right into the swing of retirement life.

What kind of experiences did some of the rest of you have? let's hear the stories.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did about the same things as you, just comfortably sank into ER. A guy who worked with me retired on the same day, as did his wife, and they did the opposite. They spent the last year of work planning a 3 month, round-the-world trip. They left the day after ER, kept us all posted by blog, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are my heroes!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Administrator

Interesting!! I had been planning to sleep for the first month. Probably I will have the same experience as you, though, and just sleep in for a day or two.

I am planning to start each day either going for a long walk or doing a great workout at the gym, after awakening naturally and enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee at home, first.

I can't wait to find out the answer to your question!! I have 726 days left until ER.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

For me the week started with Saturday and has stayed on Saturday ever since. No big adjustment from what I ever did on Saturdays.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During the ride home, I just kept being amazed that I would never have to work again - a
very nice feeling. Had a small retirement party with 2 friends that evening (the "big" party,
with about a dozen friends, was 2 days earlier).

I then went on a spending spree to use up most of the rest of my FSA account on glasses,
supplies, etc. I thought I had til year-end, but just found out I only had til end-of-day.

Rested for the remainder of the week, while planning vacations to come.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
I had always joked I was going to go down to the busy intersection corner near my place of employment and wave and smile at the people having to still go in to work.

I didn't do that.
Funny how those things seem like 'fun' while you are working, but my experience (and some others posting here), is that by the time Monday rolls around, that is the last thing you would want to waste your time on.

You are already looking forward to all the possibilities - no time for looking back.

Enjoy! - ERD50
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The last day at work I (and some other folks) showed up at the personnel building, turned in badges, signed papers, and were issued retiree IDs (USAF civilian employee); rather anticlimactic, there should have been a band, a buffet, and a cheering section.

It was over by 10AM. I went to the grocery store and then home.

I slept a great deal for the next couple weeks, 10 and 12 hours a night. It took several weeks for it to sink in that "I don't have to go to work ever again!".
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I cheated. My official retirement date was 1 June 2002 but I had a ton of leave & permissive temporary duty, so I achieved the military's legendary 100 days off starting in February. No fuss, no retirement ceremonies, no big farewell party, just an Aloha-Friday BBQ with the department and then I dropped out of sight. The rest of the command knew my official date was 1 June so when the vigilante posse finally formed I'd been long gone.

My first day of ER wasn't much different. I woke up at the same time, did the same morning routine, saw the kid off to school, and just never got around to going to work. I was chronically fatigued-- the two-hour afternoon naps took a month to decay to the current 30-60 minutes. Spouse and I did a lot of neighborhood walking and pool swimming that first couple months. I did a lot of reading and cleaned the heck out of my desk files. We started renovating our master bathroom but instead of cramming it into a week of 10-hour days we stretched it out with two-hour mornings for months.

The time off was unexpectedly timely. I was free to visit an uncle who was dying of cancer, and when my grandfather died during that trip I was able to change plans to be at his funeral. I reconnected with branches on both sides of the family who I hadn't seen in decades.

A month after I started leave I had lunch with about a dozen of the command's civil-service employees. That was nice because they could see me relaxed & wearing civvies while I could hear their new stories. We wouldn't have been able to do that if we'd had the lunch before I left.

On 1 May I had my last haircut.

On 1 June we celebrated with family surfing lessons.

Otherwise there hasn't been any blowout partying or victory tours. I think when you're raising a kid it's easier (and much less fuss) to just have a "normal" home routine built around school & kid activities. In another thousand days spouse and I can start whooping it up on our own...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I retired right before Thanksgiving last year so I thought I rip right thru the holidays .Wrong ! I was fatigued for months .I slept and slept and slept some more . All the projects I had planned stayed by the wayside . Suddenly at nine months I was ready to go .Now I'm zooming thru some of those projects and planning more .I did take a few courses when I wasn't sleeping and I took care of my 90 year old mother after her knee surgery .
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #11

I spent most of my first week of retirement a year and a half ago sprucing up the house we had for sale in San Diego. We were preparing to move out of state just as soon as we sold our home. Everyone knew the real estate bubble was eventually going to pop, but no one knew exactly when. This put pressure on us, but for a legitimate reason. Even though DW and I worked hard to get the house ready for prospective buyers and lookylous, we were both on a natural high with our new found freedom.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired last Friday in June. Slept in for a couple of weeks getting the stress out. Started working on projects around the house. Rebuild the deck, enlarge the garden etc. Still have a couple of things to finish on my to do list for this year but not much. Spend 4 - 6 hours a day working on projects and the rest relaxing..... Oh yea a three week trip to Seattle area and two weeks in Mazatlan.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Retired last Friday in June. Slept in for a couple of weeks getting the stress out. Started working on projects around the house. Rebuild the deck, enlarge the garden etc. Still have a couple of things to finish on my to do list for this year but not much. Spend 4 - 6 hours a day working on projects and the rest relaxing..... Oh yea a three week trip to Seattle area and two weeks in Mazatlan.

A lot of you retirees mention sleeping in. Some for a few weeks and some for months. I know after the first few days when my body adjusted to not having to get up at "w*rk" time, for a full year I slept in till I awoke naturally with no alarm clock. It felt good.

Leading me to think, that must be why they called it "w*rk". It was tiring, and all us retirees were "tired out" from "w*rking" and needed the sleep to catch up.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired two years ago as of the first of November. The first day I tried to sleep in but had to get up to see the DW off to work. Then took a nap. This pattern continued for two months until the DW joined me in retirement. Now I'm working part-time for a friend and am happy. Mega crap can sure wear one down.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
For several months before retirement, I had been packing and preparing to join my wife in the Philippines where we were in the process of relocating from California. The two weeks after retiring were probably busier than the pace of my former job. I hustled to clean out our apartment and get rid of the belongings that I couldn't pack or send. The Salvation Army made a small fortune off me during that time. Due to a miscue with their pickup service I didn't finish until just a few hours before I was scheduled to fly out of LAX. So as far as I'm concerned my actual retirement didn't begin till I was seated on th plane
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #16

I've just started my first week of retirement. I spent the weekend doing what I do every weekend. Tomorrow I have an appointment with personnel to sign more papers regarding, cobra, medical trust etc. I thought I would sleep in also, but haven't so far. In fact on Saturday I was so excited I got up early went to a local cafe and announced my retirement. The owner immediately offered to teach me how to be a waitress so that I could earn extra money. I smiled. 7:30 am on my first day and someone was already trying to put me back to work "for extra money" and because I am still so "young". What 30 years isn't long enough?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I shredded several piles of work related memos and papers I had at my home. It felt like taking a good shower after being dirty for a long time.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to China for a month.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

nothing

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
nothing
How long did that last? Or is that still the deal?