Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I must be around 6 weeks or so from ESR. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and have a nice situation waiting for me. But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I must be around 6 weeks or so from ESR. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and have a nice situation waiting for me. But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.
Maybe you're getting cold stethoscope feet...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe you're getting cold stethoscope feet...
Hmm... always a possibility but so far, so good. I am beginning to separate myself from the fray, almost subconsciously.

I interviewed a guy who would make a perfect successor and found myself rooting for him, though it would hasten my departure to a less-work situation. Hard to describe, but the petty BS that riles people up seems more obvious and ridiculous (though it always seemed that way to me). I guess I'm prepping.

Leaving my patients is getting hard, starting to say my good byes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
From a guy that has a little over 4 months to go, I'd love to tell you that it goes quick. Sorry, it doesn't. It seems the closer you get, the further away it seems. Good news, it will get here...eventually.
I guess going back to w*rk is one way to slow down time which has been passing at warp speed over the last 7 months.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
From a guy that has a little over 4 months to go, I'd love to tell you that it goes quick. Sorry, it doesn't. It seems the closer you get, the further away it seems. Good news, it will get here...eventually.
The last year (particularly 4-9 months out) kind of seemed to drag for me and then the last two months just flew by, trying to clean stuff up and leave everything in good shape for the next person. And I had to use up those holiday days.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Leaving my patients is getting hard, starting to say my good byes.
To me, this is a sign of an excellent doctor. So, IMO they were fortunate to have you care for them.....
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
To me, this is a sign of an excellent doctor. So, IMO they were fortunate to have you care for them.....
Most of us fantasize we will be missed or it will matter when we leave an organization or a profession. For Rich, it's actually true!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Most of us fantasize we will be missed or it will matter when we leave an organization or a profession. For Rich, it's actually true!
Thanks, Buckeye. Though I also know from prior experience that they'll get over me. And quickly.

It's all good and necessary, just a little emotional at times.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #49

What's so good about retirement?

Although in the distinct minority on this board, I elected to get another job. What makes all the difference in the world is that the decision to do so was entirely voluntary.

The instant somebody annoys me sufficiently I have the freedom to tell 'em "shove it" and walk away. That's priceless.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I guess going back to w*rk is one way to slow down time which has been passing at warp speed over the last 7 months.
I would take quick retirement time over slow work time any day!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
The last year (particularly 4-9 months out) kind of seemed to drag for me and then the last two months just flew by, trying to clean stuff up and leave everything in good shape for the next person. And I had to use up those holiday days.
I feel like it will do that same for me soon. I also have some sick days to burn and that will help. I made the mistake of telling lots of people when it will be, so I get constant questions. I'm a bit of a folk hero around my office. I will retire at 43 with full benefits. I also bought the 5 years we can buy for $14,000 back in 1990. It would cost me about $130,000 today. I am the talk of the office lately as I get closer. Makes it hard to "forget".

Sorry for the threadjack
Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #51

Here is what I like about ESR. I get the best of both worlds. I know most here despise anything to do with work for pay with the exception of the "I can quit any minute I want" group, but my approach has been a bit different. For me the goal was to test and tweak my semi-ER job till it fit right rather than take the "don't piss me off or I'll leave" approach. (Hey, similar approach applies to marriage). Half my career was self or semi self employment and I never developed the "hate work bitterness or burnout".

First year I did nothing but completely gut/rehab a house, second year I tested out making my hobby/sport my part time job and this year I am tweaking it to be semi-independent from my employer without being fully independent. Nothin big time here, about a $12k invested in gear which I play with anyways, and after all expenses I net about $60/hr @ 400hrs per season. Biz was good last year and this year looks even better. I get to be out on the water in beautiful weather teaching people the sport I luv and I find that I really enjoy it on a part-time basis. More than enough time left over to play, get DD to dance class on time, and procrastinate.

If I did this job full time the bod just woudn't take it, and I'd burn out either way. DW also part-times with a similar mindset, so once again it just fits right. I guess everyone's retirement DNA is a little different
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #52

Quote:
But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.
I'm not surprised since I think you've had a great attitude towards work. Seems logical that ER/ESR would be smoother (less traumatic) when it doesn't feel like you are escaping from some prison
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was never fixated on the day either . I think it was because I was so ready for this phase of my life to begin . It was hard leaving my friends that I had worked with but it was time .
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was never fixated on the day either . I think it was because I was so ready for this phase of my life to begin . It was hard leaving my friends that I had worked with but it was time .
Not seeing the people I worked with for 33 years has been the one downside to my retirement. I worked in a class "A" military resource that requires a security clearance to enter. Since I no longer have a clearance I can't even go there to visit. I see a few of them now and then; so I do miss the people but not the job.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Six weeks from tomorrow.
Freeeeedom!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been retired almost 20 months. Here are my favorite things about retirement:

1. More time for my sports: running and triathlon. I can run, bike, swim, or lift weights almost any time of day.
2. More time for family. My wife and I help take care of two granddaughters after the death of our daughter. We are glad we retired early so that we are here to help our son-in-law, who has to keep working. We also have more time to visit our other children and grandchildren.
3. More time to volunteer for projects that I feel strongly about.
4. More time for music, reading, studying Spanish, and doing other hobbies.
5. More time for sleep.

In other words, I see retirement as an opportunity to stay more socially, spiritually, intellectually, and physically alive. For me, that's what brings a happy, full, long life.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
I see retirement as an opportunity to stay more socially, spiritually, intellectually, and physically alive
Very well said!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto.
It is encouraging to read shuch experiences.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #59

I'm eldercaring the past 6 years and you could call that retired. The biggest thing that happened to me is I slooooooowed down, which was a big change as I was always hard charging and going full blast type A. I like myself like this. It's easier. Who knew?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
. The hard parts are forming your own routine so you do not become a giant slug and meeting new people and forming friendships . .
The social contact is the biggest problem, I find. Have been early-retired since July 2009. Of course, I'm doing very little on my part to get out and find friendships -