What's so good about retirement?

Here is what I like about ESR. I get the best of both worlds. I know most here despise anything to do with work for pay with the exception of the "I can quit any minute I want" group, but my approach has been a bit different. For me the goal was to test and tweak my semi-ER job till it fit right rather than take the "don't piss me off or I'll leave" approach. (Hey, similar approach applies to marriage). Half my career was self or semi self employment and I never developed the "hate work bitterness or burnout".

First year I did nothing but completely gut/rehab a house, second year I tested out making my hobby/sport my part time job and this year I am tweaking it to be semi-independent from my employer without being fully independent. Nothin big time here, about a $12k invested in gear which I play with anyways, and after all expenses I net about $60/hr @ 400hrs per season. Biz was good last year and this year looks even better. I get to be out on the water in beautiful weather teaching people the sport I luv and I find that I really enjoy it on a part-time basis. More than enough time left over to play, get DD to dance class on time, and procrastinate.

If I did this job full time the bod just woudn't take it, and I'd burn out either way. DW also part-times with a similar mindset, so once again it just fits right. I guess everyone's retirement DNA is a little different

But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.

I'm not surprised since I think you've had a great attitude towards work. Seems logical that ER/ESR would be smoother (less traumatic) when it doesn't feel like you are escaping from some prison

I must be around 6 weeks or so from ESR. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and have a nice situation waiting for me. But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.

I was never fixated on the day either . I think it was because I was so ready for this phase of my life to begin . It was hard leaving my friends that I had worked with but it was time .

I was never fixated on the day either . I think it was because I was so ready for this phase of my life to begin . It was hard leaving my friends that I had worked with but it was time .

Not seeing the people I worked with for 33 years has been the one downside to my retirement. I worked in a class "A" military resource that requires a security clearance to enter. Since I no longer have a clearance I can't even go there to visit. I see a few of them now and then; so I do miss the people but not the job.

I've been retired almost 20 months. Here are my favorite things about retirement:

1. More time for my sports: running and triathlon. I can run, bike, swim, or lift weights almost any time of day.
2. More time for family. My wife and I help take care of two granddaughters after the death of our daughter. We are glad we retired early so that we are here to help our son-in-law, who has to keep working. We also have more time to visit our other children and grandchildren.
3. More time to volunteer for projects that I feel strongly about.
4. More time for music, reading, studying Spanish, and doing other hobbies.
5. More time for sleep.

In other words, I see retirement as an opportunity to stay more socially, spiritually, intellectually, and physically alive. For me, that's what brings a happy, full, long life.

Ditto.
It is encouraging to read shuch experiences. :)

I'm eldercaring the past 6 years and you could call that retired. The biggest thing that happened to me is I slooooooowed down, which was a big change as I was always hard charging and going full blast type A. I like myself like this. It's easier. Who knew?:blush:

. The hard parts are forming your own routine so you do not become a giant slug and meeting new people and forming friendships . .

The social contact is the biggest problem, I find. Have been early-retired since July 2009. Of course, I'm doing very little on my part to get out and find friendships -

The social contact is the biggest problem, I find. Have been early-retired since July 2009. Of course, I'm doing very little on my part to get out and find friendships -

OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. I've lived in single family homes and apartments but I've never become so integrated into my "community" as quickly as I have here. I will be starting a j*b on Monday and will be able to purchase a home but I don't want to. I really like living here. It's me (50) and DH (60) so we have a built in friend. Even so, we have both made friends with folks in our community without trying very hard.

OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. I've lived in single family homes and apartments but I've never become so integrated into my "community" as quickly as I have here. I will be starting a j*b on Monday and will be able to purchase a home but I don't want to. I really like living here. It's me (50) and DH (60) so we have a built in friend. Even so, we have both made friends with folks in our community without trying very hard.

OMG, I would add that to my list. Since we, and a lot of our friends, had kids there is hardly enough time to keep existing friendships going, much less finding new ones. We have found that trying to bond with people just because our kids are friends or are on the same baseball team isn't the best way to find new friends. We both agree that one of our goals is to find some new friends and re-acquaint ourselves with our old friends. I miss having reliable fishing and golfing buddies. Definitely something I am looking forward too.

That will come . When I decided I needed some new friends I just joined a gym and talked to everybody . I then started a regular class and little by little I found friends . As you get more involved in the community and doing things you will find friends especially since you are in Florida and everybody is from somewhere else and looking for new friends .

Reactions: oma
OMA - Are you living in your own home or are you part of a community structured for retired and/or 55+? We moved into a 55+ apartment community in Largo and I met a ton of folks right away with very little effort. .

Before I moved to my present home I lived in a community and it was instant friends . Sometimes it was actually a little too much socialization for me but it certainly was fun !

Retired 2 1/2 years. Before then;
I didn't know that I needed 7 to 8 hours of sleep to feel rested.
I now go to sleep when I want and wake up when I 'wake up'.
Stress levels (which I did not even realize I was going through) have been reduced to almost nil (still get the occasional flack from dw :whistle:). Like going from a 80 to a 5 ... on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being total stressed out.
My blood pressure was marginal, now in the normal range.
I had back issues brought on from my sedentary life style of a desk bound wage slave, took years to make it bad and is much better (for a while there, I thought I would need a wheel chair to get around), but still working to get back to normal.
Weight was 20 pounds heavier, cholesteral was in the danger zone. Now lighter and healthy now.
No time for pleasures in life. Now we visit family (and my grandson) and friends more. Grandson says he has finally taught me how to fish (6 year old whipper snapper). We travel much more. Time to pursue hobbies and find new ones. Meeting and enjoying new people and experiences.

I expected retirement to be pretty good. We had worked hard in the planning and execution of it. It turned out to exceed expectations.

Other than that ... being retired is lot like w*rking ... NOT
It's good to be me ....:angel: Jump on in, the waters fine!

Buckeye -

I totally here where you're coming from in terms of being unemployed and then going back with a new mindset. I quit my job fourteen months ago (after making a little dough in a sale), and spent the first twelve months consulting for the old employer. Now it's been two months with no work, but I am now interviewing with another company (they called me) for a pretty big job with a lot of responsibility. Don't have an offer yet, but it's looking pretty good. I had thought I would keep consulting indefinitely, but have found myself getting pretty depressed being on my own as more time goes by - feeling in limbo, somewhat rudderless and purposeless. I'm either going to go back to school for an education degree (to teach English) or go back to the business world for a few more years. I'm only 39, so should have plenty of energy left to keep working for the Man. I wonder if I will have a better mindset if I go back because I will have realized that a job is good for my head (even with all the stress), that I have a good degree of financial security now so could quit if I hate it, and I can fantasize about becoming a teacher for the second half of my career. I will also sweep almost the entirety of every paycheck right into my retirement savings. I'm hoping these thoughts will give me a healthier perspective on work than when I used to feel that I had no choice but to go collect my paycheck indefinitely.

... and I can fantasize about becoming a teacher for the second half of my career.
I spent my entire career as a university teacher, as did my wife (she taught English). We have talked to dozens of people who fantasize about being a teacher ... but we don't know one of these individuals who actually made the transition. Going from the business world to to the academic world is a huge, difficult step as your career proceeds. My recommendation: If you really want to teach, do it now. Follow your dream. It will only become more difficult in the future.

I spent my entire career as a university teacher, as did my wife (she taught Enlish). We have talked to dozens of people who fantasize about being a teacher ... but we don't know one of these individuals who actually made the transition.
I've never fantasized about being a teacher. I've just fantasized about having their retirement benefits. :)

Survived the first day at the new j*b. Employer was very organized. I signed up for benefits online (insurances as well as 401(k)) prior to the first day. Received an access badge with a GOOD picture, new laptop, email address, phone number and office on the first day. Even had a task in my email to complete an online IT Security training course with a due date of today since I'd already been given my laptop. Training course was informative and well-constructed.

Probably can't justify parking in Visitor parking tomorrow like I did today.

All is well except my work area and office are nowhere near sunlight. I feel like a gopher. I might have to change my screen name or at least add a gopher avatar.

My husband felt guilty about me going back to work and him still staying home so he cooked me a nice dinner.

Can you feel the excitement? I need to work at least on pay period to pay for my Nordstrom's shopping trip for a work wardrobe.

Buckeye,
Congratulations on surviving the first day at your new j*b. Although your excitement may be lacking at the moment, it is truely a blessing to have a j*b when you need one. Hopefully the financial and social benefits will carry you for a while.
Maybe we can both consider starting a count-down to FIRE calendar. In the meanwhile, best of luck.

I'll revive this thread...
I have a nice little tax refund coming this year. Instead of investing it, I am going to put it in my savings account and plan another low budget adventure.
My 3 year FIRE anniversary is coming up in April and this is just the excuse I need to celebrate. The ocean beckons to me yet again...:D
I went to a few travel destination sites today, and all of a sudden this light bulb went off in my head. No constraints of any kind except cost were upon me as I surfed. :cool:
One of the best things about retirement is the fact that I can pick any coastal destination I want, and any time I want, completely avoiding the spring break and summer tourist seasons.
I can stay as long as I can afford, and there is nothing to "finish up" before I go on "vacation".
Priceless...:greetings10:

4 weeks into retirement now, and I was thinking that when I was a kid I used to go out and play every day and have a great time.

Retirement is turning out to be just like that, and we haven't even started on our long holidays yet, which is when I expected to be having the most fun.

One of the best things about retirement is the fact that I can pick any coastal destination I want, and any time I want, completely avoiding the spring break and summer tourist seasons....

Years ago I went traveling during the months of March and April, it's a minefield; I found people on spring break every one of those weeks, obviously from different schools and of course, people from France and Germany have what, eight weeks of vacation. But not to worry, even with a continual supply of spring breakers, there was lots of space and good deals to be had.

benefits of early retirement...

I had a girlfriend that looooved staying in bed till noon and cuddling... she said she wanted to retire too at 35 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom