What's so good about retirement?

I left megacorp about 2 1/2 years ago. The best thing for me was escaping a toxic work environment - it was a destructive and demoralizing situation and I really needed to be out of it. I also felt "cooped up" when I was stuck in an office all day, sometimes not even able to see outside. I feel so much more connected to the outdoors now. Even if I'm inside, I can look out or step outside whenever I want to.

My job was very stressful and required travel. I spent so much time away from everything and everyone I love. One of the best things is being able to spend more time with my mom. She's 79, in good health, and lives about 8 miles away. I'm lucky because she and I really enjoy each other's company. I had very little time with her when I was working. The weekends were filled with chores and it was hard to have quality time with my husband, let alone friends and relatives.

The best thing for me is the freedom to do what I want when I want. There were parts of my j*b that I enjoyed, but I didn't enjoy that I had to be there at a certain time 5 days per week (with spill over to evenings and weekends). Now that I am retired I find plenty to do and plenty to look forward to. I love that my weekends are not crowded with chores that I was too tired to do when I got home from w*rk on weekdays. I am still in the very early phase of retirement and love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.

[ love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.[/QUOTE]

That is what I am looking forward to.
Especially taking trips to weekend events 5-6 hours away and not having to drive home on Sunday night and and be up for work the next day.

[ love the feeling that I get on Sunday evening when I realize that I don't have to rush around getting ready for the week.

That is what I am looking forward to.
Especially taking trips to weekend events 5-6 hours away and not having to drive home on Sunday night and and be up for work the next day.[/QUOTE]

Theloneranger nailed it; that Sunday night realization is wonderful.

The best thing for me was escaping a toxic work environment - it was a destructive and demoralizing situation and I really needed to be out of it.

Oh yeah. This too. Big time. My last boss was a sweet looking young woman. She has two adorable kids and teaches Sunday school. In the office, she was evil personified.

CatMad3.gif

Been retired over 3 years. Love being able to workout every day (and getting in great shape), travel whenever we want, ski and mountain bike regularly. Life is good.

I have been unemployed for 7.5 months and was considering ER. No worry about money during the 7.5 months so it was quite enjoyable. My greatest fear was that someone would offer me a j*b with pay worth going back to w*rk has come to pass so I will be starting a new job on 3/22. Last night, I mourned the passing of my last dread-free Sunday for a few years.

I'm curious to see what my attitude is going to be at w*rk now that I have experienced "the other side." I'm wondering if dipping my toe into ER will help me keep a better w*rk/life balance.

I had no trouble filling my time with whatever I wanted to do and the time flew by. The total freedom was wonderful and I know I will totally enjoy being ER'd in a few years......or sooner if I can't cut it back in the full-time w*rk world. :D

Along a similar line - - when intensely involved in something late at night (like taxes or trying to learn about something on the internet, for example), I don't have to just DROP it and go to bed at any particular time. I can stay up until I am done, and just sleep late the next morning. Then, the above applies. :D

Ooh, good one. I have to do that all the time and it ticks me off. I am always saying that work puts a cramp in my lifestyle.

Not being called in to work by a client on a public holiday (it's Chinese New Year here) is one of the things I am looking forward to post retirement.

Also on my list of things to look forward to:

1. not having to watch my blackberry twice an hour

2. not cringing everytime my mobile rings on a Friday night/weekend

3. not having to lie about already having early morning conference calls so I can take my daughters to school in the morning

4. spending more time outdoors than indoors

5. not being envious of all the people on this board who have already FIREd :whistle:

Sigh......three years, ten months and thirteen days of reading how good it is be retired to go.....:(

For me it's Outlook's "new email" sound. I have this Pavlovian response to it. Somewhere between nausea and terror. Make it stop!

You can - it's an option :cool:.

Not only did I have the notification sound turned off I also had the visual notification turned off so that I could work undisturbed by e-mail. I also used to ignore the phone when I was busy - let it go to voice mail and deal with it when I am ready.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm helping a friend's college age son with a problem on his laptop when he gets back from class. While working that would have been done in the evening and I would have really resented "working" in my spare time. (I used to work in IT).

For me it's Outlook's "new email" sound. I have this Pavlovian response to it. Somewhere between nausea and terror. Make it stop!

You should change your "New Mail' sound to something more upbeat... like:

Homer: "The mail! The mail's here! Oooh!"

Go to You've Got Mail! Cool Television WAV Archive for many other suggestions.

No, I don't like that it opens in QuickTime. If you don't have that program installed, simply right click on the link and choose "Save Target as" to download the file and use any program you have installed that will play a .WAV file.

You can - it's an option :cool:.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem isn't the sound or the interruption; it's what it represents. I've chosen the "Get out of Dodge" option, which I haven't seen on any Outlook menu so far. :D

Sigh......three years, ten months and thirteen days of reading how good it is be retired to go.....:(

From a guy that has a little over 4 months to go, I'd love to tell you that it goes quick. Sorry, it doesn't. It seems the closer you get, the further away it seems. Good news, it will get here...eventually.:blink:

I must be around 6 weeks or so from ESR. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and have a nice situation waiting for me. But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.

I must be around 6 weeks or so from ESR. I'm certainly looking forward to it, and have a nice situation waiting for me. But I kind of surprised myself by not really being fixated on the day. Maybe I'm more ambivalent, or maybe I'll get more frantic as D-day approaches. Dunno.
Maybe you're getting cold [-]stethoscope[/-] feet...

Maybe you're getting cold [-]stethoscope[/-] feet...
Hmm... always a possibility but so far, so good. I am beginning to separate myself from the fray, almost subconsciously.

I interviewed a guy who would make a perfect successor and found myself rooting for him, though it would hasten my departure to a less-work situation. Hard to describe, but the petty BS that riles people up seems more obvious and ridiculous (though it always seemed that way to me). I guess I'm prepping.

Leaving my patients is getting hard, starting to say my good byes. :(

From a guy that has a little over 4 months to go, I'd love to tell you that it goes quick. Sorry, it doesn't. It seems the closer you get, the further away it seems. Good news, it will get here...eventually.:blink:

I guess going back to w*rk is one way to slow down time which has been passing at warp speed over the last 7 months. :(

The last year (particularly 4-9 months out) kind of seemed to drag for me and then the last two months just flew by, trying to clean stuff up and leave everything in good shape for the next person. And I had to use up those holiday days. :)

To me, this is a sign of an excellent doctor. So, IMO they were fortunate to have you care for them.....:)

Most of us fantasize we will be missed or it will matter when we leave an organization or a profession. For Rich, it's actually true!

Most of us fantasize we will be missed or it will matter when we leave an organization or a profession. For Rich, it's actually true!
Thanks, Buckeye. Though I also know from prior experience that they'll get over me. And quickly.

It's all good and necessary, just a little emotional at times.

What's so good about retirement?

Although in the distinct minority on this board, I elected to get another job. What makes all the difference in the world is that the decision to do so was entirely voluntary.

The instant somebody annoys me sufficiently I have the freedom to tell 'em "shove it" and walk away. That's priceless.

I guess going back to w*rk is one way to slow down time which has been passing at warp speed over the last 7 months. :(

I would take quick retirement time over slow work time any day!!!!

The last year (particularly 4-9 months out) kind of seemed to drag for me and then the last two months just flew by, trying to clean stuff up and leave everything in good shape for the next person. And I had to use up those holiday days. :)

I feel like it will do that same for me soon. I also have some sick days to burn and that will help. I made the mistake of telling lots of people when it will be, so I get constant questions. I'm a bit of a folk hero around my office. I will retire at 43 with full benefits. I also bought the 5 years we can buy for $14,000 back in 1990. It would cost me about $130,000 today. I am the talk of the office lately as I get closer. Makes it hard to "forget".

Sorry for the threadjack:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom