Who is hosting Thanksgiving Dinner??

Ms G and I are having a brunch with 3 other couples. Since this is a veghead meal, some will go on to a bird dinner later. People will say it is all about the food, some say football, for us it is about friends and neighbors. In our community on Thanksgiving no one eats alone unless they want to, everyone gets an invite.

Last week our town hosted a Fire Chiefs meeting with Thanksgiving dinner for the whole county, the best part is we packed up dinners with all the fixing for the town people we knew wouldn't cook for themselves or would like a nice hot meal.

Lets all be thankful Thursday, and share our abundance.

My brother offered to host Thanksgiving this year. This works out well with our travel plan the immediately following week; no left-over to worry about when we are gone. We will make some side dishes, like all other family guests. And of course, we will have too much to eat, and everybody gets to take a bit of everything home. Not us this time.

Thanksgiving dinner has been here for last 20 years, but parents (hour away) don't drive that far now....unless it's Dad going to a favorite fishing spot, lol.

This year, Thanksgiving dinner is at....Dixie Cafe in their home town. Friday, our youngest two (plus bf of one who is back in the picture...grrrr) will be here for an abbreviated dining experience.

Eldest lives in Maine.

It's not the dinners I am thankful for, but we have way plenty for which we are thankful.

Not hosting, but contributing!

Attachments

• image-2438440321.jpg
    image-2438440321.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image-873360616.jpg
    image-873360616.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image-848575926.jpg
    image-848575926.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 5
Ronstar said:
Nice contribution HFWR - please give us details. Do I see pecans?

Baked beans from scratch. Navies, bacon (of course), onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, garlic powder, brown sugar, maple syrup , molasses, splash of red wine vinegar. Baked one hour.

Pan dressing, from homemade bread. Turkey legs roasted for giblet substitute. Chicken stock, chopped turkey leg meat, sauteed onion and celery in butter, some sage and parsley. Bread cut into cubes, add three eggs, then the broth concoction, and one more can of broth for added moisture. Baked 40 min.

Sweet potato casserole, with three baked sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, two eggs, whipped with mixer. Topped with candied pecans (butter, brown sugar, maple syrup).

Correction. Too tired therefore I have decided to take it easy today, will stay home and watch TV for once. I am not on call, so I will celebrate with some good wine.

obgyn65 said:
Well I guess I will be hosting in some way because I will spend my Thanksgiving day feeding the homeless with the Salvation Army.

Correction. Too tired therefore I have decided to take it easy today, will stay home and watch TV for once. I am not on call, so I will celebrate with some good wine.

Good call. We all need time to recharge:)

The bird continues to roast...I started it late on purpose.

Mr B is on day 3 of a horrific flu bug, complete with fever and loss of appetite. He may get a little food down, but we will do the big meal in a few days when he is back on track.

I am making stuffing and gravy and turkey. I roasted one of my Halloween pumpkins. I reduced the baked flesh to a nice creamy pulp. I will bake a pie tomorrow when the oven is free.

We are both FIREd, so we get to pick our own holiday meal date. :LOL:

What a nightmare of a day. I was looking forward to a quite meal with my mom, then I hear my nephew and niece decided they would drive over from AL. No problem, should still be a calm day. When they arrived, their Mother, who was suppose to work today, had her schedule changed and she came along. Shortly after that, my other nephew from the AL coast decided to drive up, bringing his wife, one year old child and his mother in law. Everybody brought food, but absolutely no communication as far as letting us know who planned to come for Thanksgiving. Too many people in a small house.

Oh well, one holiday down and one to go. Time for a med.

The meal went very well tonight. My ladyfriend put together a good meal for the 3 of us (she and I and my dad, the displaced trio who could not go to my brother's place because he and his wife and kid are in Hawaii for the week). Plenty of leftovers and no mishaps. And I now have my two favorite desserts - chocolate cream pie and blackout cake, the latter my dad brought over - to munch on for the next week or so.

I looked up Costco's description of the duck package. Nice, very nice... Large, very large...

Here's the excerpt from Costco so the reader can see for him/herself.

Magret duck breasts are plump, juicy and meaty and often referred to as a “Duck Steak”. Magret duck breasts are also twice as big as a regular duck breast.

Price: $130 for 6 duck breasts and 6 duck leg confit. A lot less than what one would pay in a restaurant. It's too bad my wife is not crazy about duck as I do. I also got my fix recently in a restaurant, so my craving has subsided for now. Still, when one thinks of the description above...
For anyone still interested, Costco dropped the price of the D'Artagnan duck package $20 to $109.99 through 12/16/12. The price includes 2-day UPS air shipping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom