Wife is 59

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife will be 59 tomorrow. She gets to do whatever she wants on her birthday. I have to go along cheerfully with whatever she has in mind, and I do.

One year it was getting up at dawn and playing golf in the fog as the sun arose. To me golf is a "good walk spoiled" as Winston said, but I went anyway.

Tomorrow, we are going to pretend we have to go to work and will commute on the ferry to S.F. with the rest of the normal commute crowd.

We are then going to split from them and do whatever she wants to do. The list is growing and will end only at midnight.

Wild horses couldn't normally direct me to some of her things but I have to admit I always have fun in the end.

May be more to this story.

boont

Boont:

If you are looking for a magnificent place to have breakfast or lunch in S.F. try the Garden Court at the Palace hotel.

This place is one of the most beautiful restaurants you'll ever see.

It's located on the corner of Montgomery and Market. You could walk from the Ferry building up Market. Or you could take BART up two stops to the Montgomery station.

http://www.gardencourt-restaurant.com/

The photo below shows but does not really capture the grandure of the setting. It's much better to see in person.

Attachments

• gardencourtframedpurp2.jpg
    gardencourtframedpurp2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 151
  • gardencourtframedpurp2.jpg_thumb
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
My company had an elegant party at the Palace Hotel once. One of my colleagues spent the night, and we met her & her DH there for brunch the following morning. Very pretty and unique, and the best hotel brunch I ever had (not that I've had many)--the food was fresh, varied, and tasty. But I'm more the eat at a funky place in the Mission, Chinatown, Clement, or noodle soup/sushi in Japantown fan myself. But if you live close enough to SF to take a ferry in, that may be old hat.

I left my heart
in San Francisco
da da da-da dah da dah...

Thanks for the suggestions of "The Garden Court". It is one of our favorites. Did Christmas dinner at the Court the last two years. Sometimes we stay at the hotel while shopping for Xmas.

Since I was not in control I simply followed along cheerfully. Wouldn't you know this was our first day of pretend going to work and we were late. Rushed to catch the Larkspur Ferry to S.F. and missed the 9:15. We took the 10:10 instead. Spectacular trip to the Ferry Building. The thing went faster than my Sea Ray.

Followed the workers off the boat but we stayed and ate Roast Beef Sushi at "Delica". Ooh, that was good. Ferry Building is now a whole world of food and more food.

We then went to see the Raymond Loewy exhibit at the Museum of Craft and Design on Sutter. Didn't know he was born in Paris to wealthy parents. Knew he designed the Luck Strike pack and much else but not that he did Air Force One which hasn't changed since Kennedy.

Lunch at "Piperade" a Basque restaurant on Battery.

Drinks at the Redwood Room at the Clift Hotel.

Dinner at Kokkari, 200 Jackson Street. Greek food. Packed on a Tuesday night. Best run restaurant I was ever in. Great food. Loved it.

Rode home on Bart. Will pick up car we left in Larkspur today.

I am officially back in charge.

boont

Back
Top Bottom