Working as a campground host

SteveNU

Recycles dryer sheets
I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground. Well a few months ago I decided what the heck let's send in an application and see what happens. It was for a host position in a state park in Maine that we really enjoy visiting. Well I got a call from the park manager on Sunday and he has offered me a position for the 2015 season which runs from May 1st thru Oct 15th.

My wife is still working so we will be separated by a 4 hour drive. It is a volunteer position that requires 20 hours a week in exchange for a site with hookups.

Am I crazy to do this?

I don't think you are crazy. It's got an end date, so if you don't like it you don't have to do it again. Does you wife like the idea?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Eh, figure out the conjugal visit schedule and have fun. It is only 5 months. If you do not like it, the 5 months will end and you will go on to something else.

I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground. Well a few months ago I decided what the heck let's send in an application and see what happens. It was for a host position in a state park in Maine that we really enjoy visiting. Well I got a call from the park manager on Sunday and he has offered me a position for the 2015 season which runs from May 1st thru Oct 15th.

My wife is still working so we will be separated by a 4 hour drive. It is a volunteer position that requires 20 hours a week in exchange for a site with hookups.

Am I crazy to do this?
Yes. If my wife did this to me she would likely come to regret it.

Ha

Talk it over with your wife, and if she does not object then go for it! :)

What does your wife think about you camping and living 4 hours away?

Other than that, camping is fun, but how much work do you have to do? I have read blogs of many full-time RV'ers, and their work duties vary. Some only do front-desk jobs of checking people in/out and taking reservations, while other have to clean toilets.

As for me, I am still an enthusiastic part-time RV'er, but I like to travel, not camping in one spot for several months.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. My wife is okay with it and says go for it. It's mostly cleaning bathrooms and campsites. Easy work and the campground is nice and well managed. We will do more traveling when my wife retires in a few years so this is kinda of a bucket list thing for me :)

I'd go for it. Something that I always thought would be interesting to do.

P.S. next time you might want to think some of those things through before applying. :D

About the 5-month duration of the work, you are not under contractual obligations, right? From blogs that I have read, camp hosts do leave their posts too, after giving some notice I would assume.

And not all host jobs last the entire summer. I have read about hosting jobs giving tours at Oregon lighthouses, and the bloggers never seemed to have it longer than a couple of months.

20 hours in exchange for a spot with hookups doesn't sound like a good deal to me. How much does the campsite normally charge?

It's mostly cleaning bathrooms and campsites.

Definitely a no for me ( I did work once as a janitor during one summer in high school and I'm not eager to revisit that ).

However, I have met a few people at various parks who have a similar arrangement and they seemed quite pleased with the setup. I don't know if they had cleaning duties but they were in charge of greeting folks and giving tours.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've done it twice for short one month periods. Once as a campground host and once as a campground golf host. I like being the golf host best. I worked 20 hours a week and received a full hook up site and played unlimited golf after 1200 noon each day. The site normally cost $28.00 dollars per day or $840 per month. I played 25 rounds of golf at $30.00 per round which amounted to $750 for the period. Soooooo.....for the 80 hours I worked I was effectively compensated to the tune of about $20.00 per hour. Loved every minute of it and the staff treated me very well in every way. You'll have a great time.

A lot of Maine campgrounds charge about $20/day for Maine residents. Looks like you will be cleaning toilets for $7.50 per hour.

kypix

As a full-time RVer, we've volunteered in national parks/monuments/forests for almost two years. As visitor center volunteers, we've met lots of interesting people Living in the parks exposed us to a world of cultural, historic, geologic and other learning experiences we probably would not have enjoyed otherwise. If you're doing it just for the campsite savings, it won't make very good economic sense though. It was a win-win for us- giving something back and getting a lot in return.

I didn't even consider the $$ aspect of it. I'm doing it for the experience. I'll never be able to have that lakefront home so this is as close as it gets :) And yes there is no contractual obligation, so if it really sucks I can always pack up and leave.

Attachments

• IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 52
I like to camp and have always thought it would be fun to work as a host in a campground.
./.

Am I crazy to do this?

I didn't even consider the $$ aspect of it. I'm doing it for the experience. I'll never be able to have that lakefront home so this is as close as it gets :) And yes there is no contractual obligation, so if it really sucks I can always pack up and leave.
A 4 hour drive isn't that far, it leaves room for quite a few long weekend visits. If your DW supports doing this, why not?

Ugh if you have to clean toilets maybe I change my vote. I pictured getting to run around like Bill Murray acting zany with campers haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You have got to be kidding! My wife would cut off a certain appendage if I suggested I was going to be living 4 hours away for months at a time. Just too risky for me!

I was onboard until you mentioned the toilets. No freaking way I'm cleaning public toilets, water front view or not...

Anyone who enjoys camping in our national parks and state parks (as I do) understands the importance and value of the campground hosts. Most of the hosts I have encountered seem to enjoy the experience, especially if they are outgoing and don't mind the occasional interruption from campers. I say go for it. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again.

As long as I didn't have to deal with unruly drunks, ie - informal campground policeman, I'd enjoy it.

Well, yeah, go for it! You've always wanted to do this, the DW is on board, and you can always quit. Get ready to tick one off the old bucket list.
DH and I have talked about being hosts at a National Park of Fish Hatchery it is a "someday" for us. The planets have not yet aligned....

Back
Top Bottom