Join Early Retirement Today

10K days
Old 05-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

10K days

Just came back from my younger daughter’s elementary school graduation ceremony. In seven more years, I will retire when she leaves for college.

I started in semiconductor industry in December 1995. If I do retire in May 2023, it will be 10,000 days in total. And now I am at 3/4 of my industrial career. I do enjoy my work as design engineer. Work is fun, meaningful, and stimulating. And commuting is very tolerable. So I hope to keep at this position in the next 1/4 of my career.

DW quit software engineer job in 2008. She has 9 years of SS salary history.

We are ready financial wise; our current spending is bit over 2 percent of our NW.

2500 more days, counting down...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Just came back from my younger daughter’s elementary school graduation ceremony. In seven more years, I will retire when she leaves for college.

I started in semiconductor industry in December 1995. If I do retire in May 2023, it will be 10,000 days in total. And now I am at 3/4 of my industrial career. I do enjoy my work as design engineer. Work is fun, meaningful, and stimulating. And commuting is very tolerable. So I hope to keep at this position in the next 1/4 of my career.

DW quit software engineer job in 2008. She has 9 years of SS salary history.

We are ready financial wise; our current spending is bit over 2 percent of our NW.

2500 more days, counting down...
Interesting way to look at it, by days. If I factored in all my PTO, sick and holidays it might not seem like as much of a commitment, this thing we call *work.

My plan is to retire when my son begins college as well! That was also my ole man's plan but he decided to stay on as an engineer and is retiring at 65 this October. Me, I am done at age 50...I'll pay for my own damn health insurance for 15yrs, that's fine by me if it means no work.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It will be exactly 6 years.

I just bought a five year CD at 2.35%. To plan for the retirement 6 years later, I would keep buying five year CD every year to cover the possible future expense. In today's environment, it seems five year CD offers a decent yield, and just right in terms of future planning. Ten year is too far away. And I feel more comfortable to have five years' expense in fixed income.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

OP

It might be wise for your DW to have one more year of SS -- to reach the minimum credits

then she can claim at either 62 or FRA and be getting those monies. (Assumes same ages and that you don't claim until 70)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comment, FI_RElater.

As DW's benefit will be about 1/2 of mine (assuming me 2023 RE), there will be no difference if she claim her own or as dependent.

Before the file and suspend loop hole, I agree she should just get the extra 4 credits.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

2000 days or 1/5 left for the journey.

In the summer of 2010, I started seriously considering retiring; as I achieved basic financial independence by that time. I had a simple spread sheet with basic assumption on inflation, growth, and expense.

Today, the retirement planning excel contains more than 10 sheets for life plan, real estate (residence and rental), social security earning and benefit, RMD table, detailed budget at different life stages, federal tax estimate, college expense, other big ticket expense, business income, and a master sheet for all investable accounts. This gives very accurate picture of my retirement toward 99 years old. I can test various scenarios such as retirement date, retirement housing, traditional to Roth conversion. Currently I am assuming 3% inflation, 2% yield on fixed income, and 5% stock return.

Five and half years to go, I am enjoying the home stretch of my career. I am making meaningful contribution to today’s technology advance and not over stressing myself. I am helping out my kids to build solid foundation for their future independence.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I do enjoy my work as design engineer. Work is fun, meaningful, and stimulating. And commuting is very tolerable. So I hope to keep at this position in the next 1/4 of my career.
You're in a great place, lucky you! As long as this situation continues and the 'opportunity cost' of working isn't too high (which it shouldn't be, assuming that you have a decent amount of annual vacation time), there's no reason for ER.

Quote:
Sounds good. I agreed that your wife needn't worry about gutting out another year of work merely to increase her social security entitlement.

Quote:
elementary school graduation ceremony
Seriously?! What's next, daycare graduations?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

this is going to sound cynical, but since you're in tech...
first look around your office and count how many people are "over 50" (or over 45) as a % of the total, then swag the odds of your being one of those % when you get there. In tech, always have a Plan B.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

^

Plus don't mention the 90's to anyone outside of this forum, keep em guessing, and keep it so you don't at least Look "over 50".

In my MC, if you were over 50 in IT, and you weren't a higher level VP, your days were numbered.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #10

^ So true, after I was 45 I dyed my hair to look younger. I was the oldest around, except for some of the company owners.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Plus don't mention the 90's to anyone outside of this forum, keep em guessing, and keep it so you don't at least Look "over 50".

In my MC, if you were over 50 in IT, and you weren't a higher level VP, your days were numbered.
This is true of so many industries, not just IT.

Pretty sad that so many companies engage in illegal discrimination. Racist and sexist employment practices are greatly reduced (although still persist), but employers seem to get away with overt, systemic ageism.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

When I left my tech job at 49 I had a couple of conversations with younger co-workers who asked why I was leaving.

Among a few reasons I always mentioned that tech is a job for younger folks. They hadn't really noticed, but after talking with me, a few of them came to the same conclusion. Hopefully, they are now planning appropriately.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in quasi-tech. Long story.
Everyone thinks I'm younger than I am (46yo). I guess it helps I haven't started greying in a big way yet, just a couple of along the side that I pluck. But so true, so many of my former colleagues were pushed out in their 50's.

I've got a soft target date for retirement (~50yo) and I've calculated everything against it:
Number of months left, number of days left, number of actual work days left (subtracting weekends, vacation days, and stats), how many paychecks left, how much income and benefits left, etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #14

I am still in IT, but more on the tech support/consulting side. Things are a little different here - our clients seem to prefer older people to support their projects, particularly "older/new technology integration/migration" activities. They see the equation "grey hair=experience=most likely not to panic and more likely to remain calm at whatever happens".