10K days

1/9 …

Or about 3 years.

Never thought so many events happened since. Now I am working from home, with both high schoolers zooming into their classrooms. Very grateful of my employer who provide all the necessary tools for me to be productive at home. And very grateful of the school district that quickly set up remote learning scheme to enable my high schoolers continue to learn. Unfortunately, the summer camp they look forward to are all cancelled.

Financial market was in turmoil for the last couple of months. But all is not bad. At least it tested out whether my asset allocation is sound. I am also able to increase my stock holdings when the price was good. Sure, the market can go further down, but I will happily load up more.

800 days …

Still working from home.

I picked up video game after a break of 20+ years.

Time just goes fast between working from home, daily workout, and video games.

Just saw this post. I have similar goal to coast FIRE when my daughter graduates high school but I'm looking at June, 2024.
Just curious, did your wife switch career or become stay-at-home after leaving software business?
Both myself and husband are in the software business (he is in software but I'm in biotech doing software) and we've put in over 20+ years in it. I'm definitely wanting to switch out of software or least down-shift to more seasonal/part-time jobs.

Just saw this post. I have similar goal to coast FIRE when my daughter graduates high school but I'm looking at June, 2024.
Just curious, did your wife switch career or become stay-at-home after leaving software business?
Both myself and husband are in the software business (he is in software but I'm in biotech doing software) and we've put in over 20+ years in it. I'm definitely wanting to switch out of software or least down-shift to more seasonal/part-time jobs.

Sorry fiwatbe. I was too busy playing games and not staying updated here.

Yes, DW staying home since. And working form home part time may be excellent option for you.

BTW, my first kid is going to do software development intern this summer. So she will pick up mom's slack :)

Try attachment again.

Attachments

• 67FCCD91-5CC9-4C62-8385-CFCFD5329DA2.jpg
    67FCCD91-5CC9-4C62-8385-CFCFD5329DA2.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 93
400 days now, in the range of OMY.

One kid in college and the other as high school junior. They are well on their way to be independent contributors to the society. Even the younger one is working part-time in fast food now.

I kind of felt like ER since pandemic. I do daily workout in the morning. Then fix any work related issues. After that, I am busy playing games. I have a spreadsheet tracking games I own, and the hours played. Overall, I played about 3000 hours in the past 2 years for about 5 hours per day.

Find SOMETHING to enjoy about every one of those days as you wait for retirement. Life is a journey and not a destination. Too many times, I lost track of life happening around me as I slogged my way to retirement. YMMV

OP

It might be wise for your DW to have one more year of SS -- to reach the minimum credits

then she can claim at either 62 or FRA and be getting those monies. (Assumes same ages and that you don't claim until 70)

I agree with the above. Your wife might need to check with Social Security to see how many quarters she has credited. It takes 40 quarters, or 10 years, to qualify for Social Security.

Otherwise, she will have to wait until you start drawing Social Security and she would draw 1/2 of what you draw.

Going back to work a short time might pay off in the long run for her.

300 days to go. I can feel it.

I am supposed to be in the process of building the retirement home. But raw material price and the labor cost got it delayed. I am especially worried about the slow progress of construction work. I saw porta potty in my neighbor’s yard from last summer. They are building a swimming pool. And I am not sure whether their pool will be done even for this summer. Anyway, I am thinking about interviewing architects and builders at the end of this year.

... I am thinking about interviewing architects and builders at the end of this year.
We're in the process of building. Our builder is generally acknowledged as the top guy in the area. When we first talked to him he was scheduling new starts about one year to 16 months out. So if you want to actually start building in CY23, you might have a problem if you wait until the end of CY22 to begin inquiries.

We're in the process of building. Our builder is generally acknowledged as the top guy in the area. When we first talked to him he was scheduling new starts about one year to 16 months out. So if you want to actually start building in CY23, you might have a problem if you wait until the end of CY22 to begin inquiries.

I am in no hurry to build, as I can live in current house; it's just too much space and I want some special features in my future home.

Main concern is that when I start build, I don't want the process dragging on due to labor shortage.

I ... Main concern is that when I start build, I don't want the process dragging on due to labor shortage.
In our area it has materials more than labor. Windows ordered in mid-December arrived late May, for example. Because we started working with the builder early, he was able to identify and buy long lead items. For example, the day after the East coast hurricane damage last fall he ordered all the OSB and plywood for the job. Shingles ordered January. The shovel first hit the dirt during the second week of March. Garage door ordered IIRC April and we haven't seen it yet.

Last 100 days. So busy lately. Just started learning Japanese as a new year's resolution. Does not even have time for the video games. I played Fire Emblem series from 6 thru 16 last year, wanted to get immersed when Engage comes out. Now it's sitting there, and I may play it during my next trip.

Last 100 days. So busy lately. Just started learning Japanese as a new year's resolution. Does not even have time for the video games. I played Fire Emblem series from 6 thru 16 last year, wanted to get immersed when Engage comes out. Now it's sitting there, and I may play it during my next trip.

Congratulations! One of the helpful things about this forum is the satisfaction of being able to come back to an old post when a goal seemed very far off and see it come to fruition. I imagine this would be the case in your situation. :dance:

Glad to hear you plan is paying off and you will soon FIRE. Please keep us posted on your ER adventures. We love success stories.

Today is my target date. But as an old timer, there is something that I got to do: OMY.

There are various reasons, but I will stick with my current work a bit longer.

ちょっと待ってください...

Well congratulations on reaching your target date. At least it is your choice to work OMY because you want to and not because you have to. I am looking forward to your updates.

Today is my target date. But as an old timer, there is something that I got to do: OMY. There are various reasons, but I will stick with my current work a bit longer.

ちょっと待ってください...

I first heard about OMY on this website at a time when I was actually doing it but didn't know it was a thing. That turned into a series of OMYs, also for various reasons, until I really knew it was time. That was almost 4 years ago & I'm glad I waited.

Inflation was a non-factor for me at the time, but I expect it's a major factor for many right now.

Last edited:
Well congratulations on reaching your target date. At least it is your choice to work OMY because you want to and not because you have to. I am looking forward to your updates.

+1

Today is my target date. But as an old timer, there is something that I got to do: OMY.

There are various reasons, but I will stick with my current work a bit longer.

ちょっと待ってください...

I'll see you here in a year, I have done the same. We have not started our house build and are sort of paydaying it, so that requires a few more paydays.

Back
Top Bottom