Join Early Retirement Today

Career Dilemma
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Career Dilemma

As some of you know, I've ventured out of my cube recently to explore other opportunities. I've interviewed twice with mega university. The pay is lateral, which is fine, because I'd to like attend grad school at this particular university. It's been a week and a half and I haven't heard back from them (I've followed up and got no response -- I suppose that's a good sign ). Now there's an opportunity to step into a very large role technical support role for PeopleSoft 8.8 with my present company (Mega company fortune 500 company-BTW). Obtaining this role would be lucrative in terms of my experience ($$$ in the future as a PeopleSoft/Oracle consultant) but NOT in $$$ as my compensation.

I'm in a bit of struggle with trying to figure all of this stuff out. I'd hate to step up to the plate at my present company and then leave if mega U. comes knocking at my door.

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome at this point. I think L. was going through a similar situation recently.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Career Dilemma
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ms. Rat,

What happens if the Univ. does not want you and the job at Mega Corp. was not accepted by you?

One process I have lived by is "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't". You know Mega Corp and you don't know the Univ. If the Mega Corp. job is a sure thing I think I would take it. If the Univ. job comes through and you still want it, then so what. The company does not own you. You will have burned a bridge but you will also have a new job.

I guess it comes down to what do you want to do when you grow up? I ask all my employees that several times a year so they think about their career and not just the day to day job. You need to take the path that gets you where you want to go. You may have to defer $$ money now for a bigger pay off in a couple of years. Again, it all depends on where you want to go.

Good luck....this stuff is not easy.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #3

I'm having similar career dilemmas. It's been very frustrating for me. But I think the fact is that I will be fine no matter which road I take. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I suspect the same is true for you and anyone else who is on the path to ER.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

"Guys, I know I just started this new gig, but this incredible opportunity just came up, this is a once in a lifetime dream that I must follow, thank you for understanding!"

...or something like that. Take the bird in the hand and if Mega U. comes calling, jump! Megacorp will not hesitate to axe you if they need to. As long as you have a smooth transition, help them at all steps, and leave things in good order, you won't burn a bridge IMHO.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
...or something like that.* Take the bird in the hand and if Mega U. comes calling, jump!* Megacorp will not hesitate to axe you if they need to.*
No kidding!* A friend of mine had this exact thing happen to him.* He took a job with 2nd choice company because he never heard back from his dream job.* 6 months later his dream job (in his dream location) called him up, and wanted to hire him.* I told him to go for it, but he didn't think it was "fair" to quit his current job after such a short time.* Less than a year later his company was downsizing and he was given the choice of layoff or transfer to a really lame project.* Dream job was no longer an option by then and he's now spent 5 years trying to get something even close to what he passed up.

I won't ever forget that lesson.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
No kidding!* A friend of mine had this exact thing happen to him.* He took a job with 2nd choice company because he never heard back from his dream job.* 6 months later his dream job (in his dream location) called him up, and wanted to hire him.* I told him to go for it, but he didn't think it was "fair" to quit his current job after such a short time.* Less than a year later his company was downsizing and he was given the choice of layoff or transfer to a really lame project.* Dream job was no longer an option by then and he's now spent 5 years trying to get something even close to what he passed up.

I won't ever forget that lesson.
I really value personal relationships and personal loyalty, but I've never understood why someone would feel loyalty toward a Megacorp. I never had to face this situation myself, but I've known many people who become victims of their own misplaced loyalty to the company.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Take the bird in the hand and if Mega U. comes calling, jump! *Megacorp will not hesitate to axe you if they need to.
Concurr..

If Mega U calls you are in a great negotiating position. *

University administrative processes are slow, but just because they they can't get off their.. is no reason why you shouldn't.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I really value personal relationships and personal loyalty, but I've never understood why someone would feel loyalty toward a Megacorp. I never had to face this situation myself, but I've known many people who become victims of their own misplaced loyalty to the company.
Some people haven't been screwed enough. I used to feel some things were appropriate and some weren't, but I decided that never again will I let company loyalty or fairness affect my job hunting. Easier said than done, though. It's an emotional thing I suppose. Actually I haven't been screwed yet, but I've seen other people get the shaft and know it can happen to me.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #9

Agreed about the loyalty to mega corp. They would just replace me with a contractor here or an offshore resource in a heart beat if they felt like it. I'm not going to have the rug pulled out from underneath me. I will continue my ventures outside my cube. I believe my next opportunity is around the corner.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM   #10

loyalty to any company is falling on the wayside. When another company or institution offers a more promising package (i.e., compensation, benefits), no one should be hesitant to accept it.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I will continue my ventures outside my cube. I believe my next opportunity is around the corner.
Sounds like the right approach to me. These things have a way of sorting themselves out making the decision much easier.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in a similar situation this past summer.* My job had become very unpleasant and I had applied for an internal position in another area just to escape.* I had worked with this new group on projects before and knew they LOVED me, so it was pretty much a sure thing.* The trouble was, it was a lateral move/demotion, which bothered me.* They initially offered me same pay ( and smaller bonus ), so I told my prospective new boss that I would feel guilty if I took the job just to escape a bad situation and immediately turned around looking for another new job that paid more.* He came back saying that he realized his employees won't stick around forever, but he still wanted me, knowing I might be gone in a few months or a year (he also came back with a slightly better offer, requiring upper management approval).* I took the job and don't regret it.* I'm still keeping my eyes out for greener pastures (this job is pretty dull) and won't feel guilty if I leave, but I am very thankful I improved my daily corporate life.
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote